Desert Racing

I always see that in commercials or ads that it seems like you can speed your car as fast as you want in the desert roads. But one of my friends toold me that there are many police patrols just waiting to give you a ticket in the desert.

I've not been on too many desert roads, but I have been on them before outside of Las Vegas and Phoenix.  There was no one in sight, and you could have easily tested the top speed of your car.  :)

sweet! I want to test out a fast car in the future in the desert. :D

Now Im not sure which car I should test out. Maybe its the at first you dont succeed thing. ;)

I think a Viper would do the job just fine.  :smilewinkgrin:

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of F1 teams would sincerely appreciate you taking their cars for a little spin.  :)

Yes, I believe the record holder belongs to a British jet car.  I'll let Phil conform that for me.  :smilewink:

Oh yes. ThrustSSC - 110000hp, 0-60 2.5secs, 0- 100 4secs, 0-600 16secs, top speed 771mph (1240.77kmh) with fuel cosumption of 4.8 US Gallons per second.

This would make a great car to hide in GT3.  :smilewinkgrin:

How big's the gas tank if it consumes so much fuel?

I think the odds are good that a Viper and F1 car would be in bad shape after being run at high speed on the desert.

Im talking about racing in long desert road straits instead of roads with turns. Going on long desert straits will give you the max speed of a car. An engine intercooler would be a good idea. unless you want the car to over heat and you'll be stranded.

Or, you could just find a big oval track...  :smilewinkgrin:

I guess the fuel tanks will have to be pretty big.

All car manufacturers test cars in the deserts, normally Death Valley where ever that maybe because of the extreme conditions.

Up in some of the northern areas of Arizona, the desert is actually not all that hot (it snows around the top of the Grand Canyon).

I got a ticket in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night for speeding in Arizona. Don't believe the commercials.

How about you, sUn. Ever speed in the desert?

this is a 3 year old thread.

anyway their is a no speed limit in the Northen Territory which is about couple of days drive from brisbane.

*lol* I'm sure no one could sleep properly for three years, because they always asked themselves, if there's a speed limit or not. :lol:

Anyways, I think, the really rich people test the highspeeds of their cars on the next highway. Or would you give crap about any fines, if you don't care about money?

i lived a summer in arizona outside of pheonix with my aunt. she took me on a trip to nevada and we hit on of those famous desert looking roads. we topped her 65 gto out. vroom
no cops

There is some kind of desert race here in the west. I wish i could emember the name. It's very long and the idea is top speed. Not many turns. All the road cars top out over 200. They also have an event called the Copperstate 200. All these rich people in their exotic super cars hook up in Jerome, AZ. The state closes some back roads and they all get to have a blast.

I heard somewhere that the Baja 1000 was the longest point-to-point race in the world, I've always thought the Dakar Rally was longer though.

Originally posted by milefile
They also have an event called the Copperstate 200. All these rich people in their exotic super cars hook up in Jerome, AZ. The state closes some back roads and they all get to have a blast.

Are you sure you're not thinking about the Copperstate 1000? It happened pretty recently and starts in front of the Phoenix Art Museum.

Back