No damage??

• Thread starter SAAB
  • 33 comments
:sad:

Hey there!
Exscuse my poor english, I´m a swede.

I´m not experienced  gamer and just boght my ps2 and gt3. And I´m amased! A great game, realistic, nice looking...  But after a few weeks I started to think, trying not to be to impressed by the graphics and the realistic handeling of the cars. The cars dont get hurt banging in to each outher or the walls. Realisticly, some times you would not be able to finish the trac. OK, you say, but the point is to try to drive not hitting anything and pass other cars with skill, you have to imagne what would happen if you demage your car. But I say, that this is a major flaw that can't be ignored. If the game is so realistic why do you have to imagne the demage. What is the point with all that realism when you have to fantasise this inportant feature. I thing if you dare to look past the hype about the game and the fact that it is kind of expensive this will put the game down. When a likely beautiful game comes along(and it will), with the car demage option, gt3 will be forgotten.

What are your true thoughts about this, if you realy listen to your heart and mind?

Completely agree, you can take the fastest car into the rallye's and hit every single wall on the cource just keep the accelorator pressed and steer when needed and youll win every track easily! Damage should definately be on...

it might make for more exciting races, but also longer races, especially the enduro's would be longer because you;d have to pit so much more.......

GT3 will not be forgotten.  As of yet, Polyphony Digital still has the most popular formula for the racing game.  Perhaps if Electronic Arts managed to achieve the stunning depth, sheer number of cars and stunning graphical detail with their NFS series, GT3 would have some legitimate competition.  However, for now, this game is unrivaled.

i think it is sometimes better with out it though.  What if your ready to finish an endurance race being 20 laps ahead and a car comes out of the pit and runs into you and you thought you could make it and now you cant?  What about that?  Pretty Sad huh?

If you get hit by a other car it would be like a real race, you file a complaint and that other driver gets disqualified and you get credits and if its in the end you can even be chosen to be a winner based on your standings. But, I guess the programmers could make sure that you would not be hit that bad by AI cars.

I believe Polyphony Digital  wanted damage in the game but the majority of the car manufactures would not give permission to have there cars damaged within the game. All politics and stuff...

Hi, Yes it's a real shame there is no damage, it would stop a lot of the crazy driving like bouncing off walls, Scrapping all the way round bends, guys would have to play the game the proper way then.   No stupid rubber band tricks or the like.
cya

The fact of the matter is, you cant win the game by bouncing off walls, but you can still play it and have fun.

Lets keep in mind that MOST people play video games for FUN.  Not everybody wants to learn how to take a turn at 200 mph and drive a line.  Some people just want to get in a car and drive and enoy themselves.

If you WANT to be a great driver, then your fun comes from a different source than winning races.  It comes from fierce competition, battling for rank, trying to get one more lap in on those bald tires, and shaving 1/1000th of a second off your time.

I'd personally like damage, but I don't think it should be mandatory.

I agree. Damage should be an option, but that is the point, it is not even an option! And that the reason for it are the licenses from car manufactures dosn´t  change the facts that it is unrealistic. OK, even though it need not to be totaly realistic it would enhance the fun. Observe, I don´t want to bang in to others but as it is now it is like driving a car made out of rubber or styrofoam!

The damage idea is dumb!

There is no way it could be done realisticly.

Picture this - you're cruising along in a Dodge Viper, doing about 50 mph, around a turn. All of a sudden, your car slides into the wall.

If damage was done realistically, your car would be undriveable! So what you are saying, SAAB, is that you want the game to take you out of a race every time you hit the wall? In a 15-20-30 lap race, i would be pretty pissed if I got DQ-ed on the last lap.

There's no way to do this realistically. Your cars would be constantly destroyed, and you would have to be constantly replacing them if there was any level of realism to it.

Yeah, now that I think about it, the game isnt suitable for realistic damage.  You dont have the percision control of the car that you would if you were driving it.  You dont have the range of visibility, sense of depth, or sense of acceleration that would be needed to drive sans banging into anything.

Perhaps Daytona style damage would be alright, but it would look cheesy if it got repaired in the pits.

Quote: from Escudo on 9:23 am on Aug. 9, 2001[br]All of the car manufactures wouldn't allow damage to there cars as it would make them seem weak and brittle.

That is what I have also heard.  Some other discussions suggested that even if exterior damage is NOT allowed, internal damage could have been achived, tires blowing out, gear boxes falling on the road, so on and so forth...

:)

As I said earlier I doesn´t have to be exactly realistic. Lets face it, though gt3 is a great game it isn´t 100% realistic so why not a suited damage option.

The only obvious flaw here is the one inside your cranium. Why, after creating such a realistic game, would they put in something unrealistic?

if any of you guys play tokra ..i think the damage ways it should be like that ..in tokra you have to pit at least once if you want to survive if gt3 was like this it would undoughtably be the no.1 game.  i hear you say it already is the no.1 game yes that is true but if it had this function it could hold that title untill the next gt is realeased!

WOOOOOO stop stop!! These cars are beautiful we don`t want them all banged up now do we?? And do you realise the amount of space would be taken up on your GT3 disc if they had to jam in every single detail of car damage on every single car!!!!!!!!!!

Its the best racing game out there FORGET DAMAGE!! Its not a Destruction Derby for crying out load!!  

I disagree. I've been playing the gt world championship in professional league today and I found out that the GT1 and 787B (which are always in 1st and 2nd of the computer controlled cars) never pit. Also tire damage never affects the cars they only pit because they were programmed to by the company. All the racing games  that I have played that have car damage never actually have the cp cars get damaged. Also, after beating the game without car damage, someone would be challenged to do the whole thing again with it and it would get too boring.

Quote: from alexy2k on 4:32 pm on Aug. 9, 2001[br]WRONG!! The computer cars do get tire damage as after a pit stop they get a faster lap than before they came in.

I have also noticed this....  When was the last time you saw a AI driver spin out on a corner with no cause?  I see it all the time in GT3.  That's pretty cool.

Heh... if you believe in damage or not... i have 2 quesitons for both you.

FOR THE DAMAGE FREAKS:

Imagine the producers having to draw every single line on the car for damage. The game would take 5 years and a new system would be out.. i'd be all NO!!!! But... still, I can understand why you would want damage. I want it too, but... I can live without it. Cant you? It would be A LOT easier if they made the game in atari graphics, but thats back when our dads were still actually young and taking advantage of young girls. Remember they cant do that now.

FOR THE NON-DAMAGE PEOPLE:

erm... wlel... no comment.

So my question to all is...

Atari or outstandingly well drawn cars?

The choice is yours :)

Quote: from AddictedToSpeed on 6:06 pm on Aug. 9, 2001[br]

Atari or outstandingly well drawn cars?

Arari 2600 or the improved 2800 Model?  :)

Truth of the matter is that if the cars would be banged up, this would not be a game any more, there is a thin line between videogames and real life. the difference in the gt games is that the cars don't get damaged.

Quote: from NRred on 6:44 pm on Aug. 9, 2001[br]Truth of the matter is that if the cars would be banged up, this would not be a game any more, there is a thin line between videogames and real life. the difference in the gt games is that the cars don't get damaged.
i agree, you very very smart man, you...:odd:

Quote: from NRred on 6:44 pm on Aug. 9, 2001[br]Truth of the matter is that if the cars would be banged up, this would not be a game any more, there is a thin line between videogames and real life. the difference in the gt games is that the cars don't get damaged.

Very true.  I have to slam in the wall at 250 mph just to remind me sometimes that I'm playing a VGame.  :D

Back