2012 Detroit International Auto Show

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 146 comments
Well, some of these are actually pretty nice. I like that Chevrolet Code 130R, looks sporty. 👍

The fusion looks like it has the front clip of an Aston though. 👎

The Boss 302 is another nice one.

The Caddy also looks good, but Chrysler 700 and the Lincoln? Come on.. what are you doing? lol.
shakehead.gif
I miss the Lincoln Mk III & IV.

Well, I'd say the Lincoln MKZ is a good looking concept...

lincoln-mkz-concept-detroit.jpg

2012 Lincoln MKZ Concept

They made it distinctive from the Mondeo, and that is a step in the right direction. Lincoln wants to make themselves a different kind of luxury option from BMW and Mercedes, which means they no-longer want to beat around the bush with Cadillac either. Not a problem, they will fill a niche, but when it's already occupied by Buick and Lexus (well, if Lexus decides to stay)... I'm not sure what they're doing.

acura-ilx-concept-detroit.jpg

2012 Acura ILX Concept

Well, this is the first-time we've had an entry-level Acura sedan, as a compact, since the Integra. Not a bad thing. The Canadians have their one. This one seems to be alright. I'm interested to see how they make it distinctive enough from the Civic, but a K24 can't be the only way of doing it.

2013-buick-encore-detroit.jpg

2013 Buick Encore

This one was ignored a bit more than it should be, I think. Yes, its a crossover and a lot of people don't like them, but... Its the first one to be based on the Gamma II structure beneath the Chevrolet Sonic. They did not say if it was to be offered with some kind of 4WD/AWD system, but I imagine that it would. Matched to the 140 BHP turbo from the Sonic/Cruze, fuel economy should be friendly for those looking to get a high-riding hatch.

Chances seem high that we'll get a Chevrolet version of this. I still firmly believe that this is an untapped market here in the US, as I'm always quite jealous of what they offer in Europe. An affordable, fuel-friendly, 4WD hatchback is perfect for urban/suburban folks in the snowbelt.

The Encore would make infinitely more amount of sense as a Chevy or even a GMC then a Buick. In fact it would be a decent competitor to the Countryman and Juke.

Well, this is the first-time we've had an entry-level Acura sedan, as a compact, since the Integra. Not a bad thing. The Canadians have their one. This one seems to be alright. I'm interested to see how they make it distinctive enough from the Civic, but a K24 can't be the only way of doing it.

I quite like the ILX, Acura's slightly odd-looking corporate chrome moustache aside. It's compact and actually looks it, well-proportioned, and not over-endowed with a mish-mash of details.

My only reservation design-wise is the line running down the side of the car, that kicks up and over the rear door-handle. The line itself is fine and gives the car some nice haunches, but it looks odd kicking over the handle. Maybe they should have gone for a hidden doorhandle à la Alfa Romeo 156, FN Civic 5dr etc.

Engineering wise, it's a Civic. Interesting, as the current Civic has been panned a bit for being dull and feeling cheap, so in theory the ILX will be the car the Civic should have been.

It'll also give Acura it's first hybrid. Would certainly prefer an ILX hybrid to a Civic hybrid.

My only reservation design-wise is the line running down the side of the car, that kicks up and over the rear door-handle. The line itself is fine and gives the car some nice haunches, but it looks odd kicking over the handle. Maybe they should have gone for a hidden doorhandle à la Alfa Romeo 156, FN Civic 5dr etc.

It'll also give Acura it's first hybrid. Would certainly prefer an ILX hybrid to a Civic hybrid.

The door handle does look out of place. The body lines are similar to the ZDX which has a hidden rear door handle.

I thought Acura was doing a MDX or RDX and TL Hybrid?

I just saw some other pictures of the MKZ. The front does suffer from a serious case of trying-too-hard, but I actually think it looks pretty decent from other angles.

I thought Acura was doing a MDX or RDX and TL Hybrid?

Not sure. I've not heard many rumblings from Acura about hybrids. Though if they're doing an ILX hybrid, you can bet any other Civic-based Acuras will get a hybrid version too, as it's fairly easy to do that on the same platform.

Once Honda's SH-AWD or whatever-they-call-it-hybrid-system rolls out into a few models, you'll probably find a few more Acuras going hybrid too. It's worked well for Toyota and Lexus, certainly.

Apparently Ford has revealed that they are going to use that car next year in the Cup Series. I wonder if anyone will confuse it for an Aston. It looks magnificent.

well, Ferrari had to change the name of their 2011 F1 car to stop everyone getting it muddled up with Ford's truck :lol:

oh I know that. I just find it very funny that, after doing that last year, they just go ahead an do a C&P of an Aston grill :lol:

The first knob on the ILX should be higher. Though they do look big and obnoxious anyway.
The rear handle probably is higher than it should be on purpose, because the line makes it look lower than it is - it looks correct in profile view. The only problem is that other angles actually show that it is higher and they end up looking whopperjawed.

I actually like the Lincoln MKZ Concept. Autoblog talks about a "brand renaissance" with this MKZ. In my view... if you want to REALLY have a brand renaissance with Lincoln, bring back the Lincoln LS and make it so unspeakably better that it blows peoples' minds. Or do you remember the Lincoln LS from 1999 or 2000? Again- the MKZ Concept is a lovely piece. Same goes for the Buick Encore.

I just got back from the show and it was pretty decent this year. It's clear the automakers have more money to spend and actually create displays that don't suck. Ford had one of the biggest and best booths at the show offer the most interactive stuff, games and even live demos of a GT500 dyno, an Eco-boost engine build and the inner workings of a Raptor.

Chrysler was right up there too, their "experience" wasn't as good as Ford's but they came out heavy with crowd drawing cars. The Dart looks amazing in the flesh...errrr metal.

Past that the other booths were decent and there were a fair number of interesting cars. The Cadillac booth girls was irritating though and I corrected her when she said the CTS was the first car to have headlights that turned with the steering wheel...the Tucker 48 did the same thing...you know a car from the 40's. It might have been the first but it certainly was roaming around before the CTS.

I have some pictures, but since we've all seen the press photos already I'll pass on posting them.

I visited today too. Yea, it was pretty good, but there wasn't too many cars that stood out this year. The 300SL was probably my favorite and Edsel Ford's Speedster was second.

The fusion looks like an Aston.
Only on pictures. In person - not so much.
I did enjoy Ford's simulator. Feeling the g's in proper direction, however weak, during simracing is nice. Cadillac had two nice iRacing rigs, but one broke right in front of me, making further wait not worth it.

did anyone post a picture of that odd-looking super car? (i think it was called a falcon or something). it was the orange one with the huge gaps in the front hood. and the audi r8 gt spyder? you guys are missing the good stuff...

ALSO the bad stuff. that little yellow chevy scooter-pod-looking thing. blah.:yuck:

oh yea i forgot. are subaru, toyota, n scion all using the same body because they each had something that looked like the 86.

Muffinland
oh yea i forgot. are subaru, toyota, n scion all using the same body because they each had something that looked like the 86.

Yes, is the short answer. Toyota and Scion are one and the same, and Toyota and Subaru have been working on the project for some time.

Back