2023-24 Formula 1 Off-Track Thread

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 624 comments
Wasn't expecting this

Members of Congress demand answers on Mario Andretti's rejection from Formula One

I'm sure F1 is taking this very very seriously.... :lol:

Why isn't this thread simply called Formula 1 General News?
Maybe it could be called "Next Season" thread?

Most years the disappointment of the current season results in discussion being focussed on what might be better in the next year, this years focus on next year kicked off especially early with Hamilton's move to Ferrari next year being one of the most interesting things, now we have Newey news dominating the punditry because that's more interesting than the current lack of competition in the sport?

New joke - will the steward standard be more consistent next season or do we have to wait til the season after next?

I definitely didn't have "bipartisan congressional support to question F1's commercial rights" on my last few bingo cards.
They can't agree on a budget, but they can agree on F1 teams being greedy? Huh.

Maybe it could be called "Next Season" thread?
This thread and others like it (constructors, drivers and calendar threads) should be retitled "The Ongoing... " because we keep using the same one whatever year it is.

Interestingly enough, another company that Liberty partially owns is in the same boat with the US government. Live Nation, a concert/ticket monopoly.

Last edited:
Rain cover field test

test.jpg

Looking at the shot of one car following the closed wheel version, it doesn't even appear to work that well.
Surely a closed wheel is just going to jettison the spray at a greater pressure due to the narrow aperture and speed of the rotating tyre?

The cut wheel is going to send the spray in more directions across the track, completely ruining visibility, is it not?

Diffusor spray is still the other big factor of spray on these cars.

This is the bit which most people don't understand - the majority of the spray is caused by the diffuser and Venturi tunnels, not the tyres, but by hopefully reducing the amount of spray fired up by the tyres, it may result in a more acceptable level of spray which will result in more wet weather racing.

Surely a closed wheel is just going to jettison the spray at a greater pressure due to the narrow aperture and speed of the rotating tyre?

The cut wheel is going to send the spray in more directions across the track, completely ruining visibility, is it not?
I can’t imagine those covers don’t create a number of adverse conditions within the enclosure - tyre heat (and therefore pressure), brake temp, etc, etc. Nothing that couldn’t be engineered out, closed wheel racing is also a thing of course, but setting the car up for a wet and dry race isn’t going to be feasible. Going to take more than bolting on a different set of tyres and tweaking wing settings.

I want to say that the finished versions, which will probably be made of better quality carbon fiber and have some kind of embellishment to match a car's livery, would look better. But all I can see is another large flat space to awkwardly cram sponsor logos onto and that'll be just as goofy looking, so I dunno.

But hey, if it does what it's supposed to then better this that "oops it's a little too wet out there, sorry no race this weekend but thanks for all the money".

Back