2024 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 226 comments
IMG_0071.jpeg

Crazy. It went from "Will Truex get by Hamlin before the end?" to the closest finish in Cup history with two different drivers. I was really pulling for Buescher, but an exciting finish either way.

0.001 rounded up knocks off the Craven/Busch Darlington finish in 2003 and the Johnson/Bowyer finish at Talladega in 2011.

EDIT:
This is NOT the closest NASCAR finish, but the closest Cup finish. It is tied for 2nd with a 1995 Truck race:

Isn't it crazy how 3 of the closest finishes ever have occurred THIS YEAR and we aren't even halfway through the season... NASCAR is delivering like never before. The level of competition right now is extremely high in both Xfinity and Cup. No wonder why our Supercar drivers are coming over to have a crack. Sure, the Gen 7 isn't perfect but on the whole, it's been a massive success.

Also, Kyle Larson is the only person to have benefited from a racial slur. If Ganassi didn't fire him, Hendrick wouldn't have been able to get his hands on him and win a championship. I'm bummed that Buescher missed out by a nose but I can't complain too much because Larson's not a bad person to lose to. The RFK Fords are fast so I'm sure there'll be another chance for him and Brad.

In Charter news:
  • The part of the France family active in NASCAR dealings wants in on charters, which they currently cannot do except on a "caretaker" basis
  • The owners' demands are four-fold: 45% of traditional media revenue (up from 25% currently per the update), 33% of "new" revenue (e.g. gambling money, again per the update), permanent charters, and more of a say on how NASCAR is run
Update: More Charter news from Bob Pockrass - Stewart-Haas is looking to downsize as it has yet to renew with Ford, with Trackhouse (which has loaned 2 of its drivers out to other teams this year), Legacy Motor Club, 23XI and Front Row all sniffing around. Also, the JTG portion of JTG Daugherty looks to be on the way out as Tad Geschickter continues to be MIA.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see if the rumored contraction at SHR results in the driver cut going to Front Row.
Given McDowell's departure, I doubt they're expanding as some reports had suggested. I also believe that the Love's sponsorship is tied to McDowell rather than Front Row. It is at least plausible that SHR and Front Row merge to free up 2 charters, though Front Row had just shifted their technical alliance from Roush to Penske (and judging by relative performances, they're ahead of the Wood Brothers in the pecking order).

Given McDowell's departure, I doubt they're expanding as some reports had suggested. I also believe that the Love's sponsorship is tied to McDowell rather than Front Row. It is at least plausible that SHR and Front Row merge to free up 2 charters, though Front Row had just shifted their technical alliance from Roush to Penske (and judging by relative performances, they're ahead of the Wood Brothers in the pecking order).
Never said expanding. SHR is reported to be contracting which means one of the current drivers will likely be dropped. My comment was if they had an opening in the 34 and are committed to 2 teams, would either Preece/Briscoe/Gragson be moving from their ride to the 34.

Never said expanding. SHR is reported to be contracting which means one of the current drivers will likely be dropped. My comment was if they had an opening in the 34 and are committed to 2 teams, would either Preece/Briscoe/Gragson be moving from their ride to the 34.
I was referring to Front Row's reported sniffing around at least one of SHR's charters. I'm seeing more chatter that SHR and FRM are merging, which would free up 2 charters and (potentially) reduce the amount of time both Haas and Jenkins would need to self-sponsor.

Also, McDowell is moving to the 71 next year.

Well damn.

It almost feels like SHR has rapidly deteriorated losing both Almirola and Harvick over successive seasons and not really replenishing the talent. Herbst maybe could move up but the team seems stagnant.

Well damn.

I'm not terribly shocked. By now both people the team is named after are probably only involved in name only, considering Haas is too busy being a non-entity in F1 and Tony has his own vanity league in SRX. Though it does make me wonder who the list of potential buyers would be, since a whole package of a race shop and charters would be pretty attractive to newcomers but I imagine it'll be priced well out of the range of any Daytona 500 one-offs.

I'm not terribly shocked. By now both people the team is named after are probably only involved in name only, considering Haas is too busy being a non-entity in F1 and Tony has his own vanity league in SRX. Though it does make me wonder who the list of potential buyers would be, since a whole package of a race shop and charters would be pretty attractive to newcomers but I imagine it'll be priced well out of the range of any Daytona 500 one-offs.
SRX was bought out in late 2023. Stewart is pretty much now doing NHRA.

It almost feels like SHR has rapidly deteriorated losing both Almirola and Harvick over successive seasons and not really replenishing the talent. Herbst maybe could move up but the team seems stagnant.
Reminds me of the team from which SHR bought two of its first three charters, Michael Waltrip Racing.

Back