2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 1,502 comments
There are only a few dozen people in Alaska though.
Total or voting?

It's just a bad look for Ohio if it comes down to that state being the tiebreaker and one of the parties running election interference to get their candidate a victory.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...oe-biden-ohio-ballot-mike-dewine/73620775007/

This is getting ridiculous. The governor even used a bit of language in describing how annoyed he is by Republicans in the legislature.

DeWine already knows he's on the chopping block for 2026 as well as mulitple legislators this November, although the likelihood of any big changes is small. Ohio has been a victim of gerrymandering for many decades, still strongly favoring rural conservatives despite large demographic shifts to urban areas. Republicans are viewing this opportunity to keep Biden off the ballot as their last stand to power. It would likely result in the absolute implosion of their party as it's common knowledge that they've stooped to simply doing hateful things to maintain control but they would celebrate it as loudly as possible.

Bottom line that all of you need to know is that currently, Biden is not allowed to be on Ohio's ballot in November.
I don't understand why this is an issue in the first place. States have laws, and these laws are known about well in advance of planning when a national convention for either party will be. I would have thought that one of the first considerations when choosing a date would be "make sure it's early enough that we can meet all deadlines for certifying candidates", but it would seem that historically that hasn't really been much of a priority for anyone.

I can't bring myself to say that enforcing the rules is a bad thing. The rules should probably be changed to not be stupid, but the Democrats should also probably have been on the lookout for these sorts of legalistic technicalities after the whole 2020 election fiasco. Trusting anything to historic precedent and good will at this point is practically an own goal.

Back