Book Forum

• Thread starter DQuaN
  • 29 comments

DQuaN

Goat of the Year
Premium
United Kingdom
Ealing-London
We currently have music, movies, sports, hobbies forums. I thought a book forum would be a good idea. I have seen many conversations where reading popped up, and I thought it might be an idea to make a book forum or club for people to discuss what they are currently reading or want to read.

What do you think?

Mainly aimed at the mods but I would like everyone elses opinion as well.

meh, just put a reading thread in the hobbies forum, although I don't think it'll be all that popular (seeing as how I'd say only 1 in every 25 of the active members here a bookworm...). Give it a shot though...

I'd probably go ahead and lower that ratio to about 1 in 40

and I also think it wouldn't get too much traffic but go ahead and start a thread in hobbies like Jpec said and see what you get

I believe it has been discussed before that there wasn't going to be a Book Forum for the sole purpose that there wasn't enough interest.

But then again, you did just make a thread expressing your interest...

Yes - I can see the logic there. If we have an entire forum for a pastime almost everyone claims to enjoy (at least on their cv), then naturally we need an entire forum for a small section of a pastime covered already in an existing forum, which few people would claim to enjoy.

Originally posted by DQuaN
We currently have music, movies, sports, hobbies forums. I thought a book forum would be a good idea. I have seen many conversations where reading popped up, and I thought it might be an idea to make a book forum or club for people to discuss what they are currently reading or want to read.

What do you think?

Mainly aimed at the mods but I would like everyone elses opinion as well.

I wouldnt mind a Book Forum, but the current Hobby Forum does the trick just fine for me. (A book forum falling under the Hobbies Forum, much as MazClub falls under CiG would be nice.)

At least I now have somewhere to put a thread, where as previously it would have been spammed-out and ruined. But I do see the point of the doubters. I couldnt see too much traffic in a book forum..

i would browse the book forum but i can see it being a bit sparse...with so many titles available to read we would just end up talking about the Lord of the Rings and the Bible....and lets face it, who has read the Bible? (or TLOTR for that matter)

i'm all for it though...it beats all these photos of iraq threads anyday.

I know I wouldn't want to moderate a Book forum...those reading type of guys are just out of control!

I really don't think there is enough people interested in reading here to support a specific forum for the topic, unfortunately.

You're possibly selling your own forums (fora?) short there, Jordan. Quite a few of us read a variety of books - and we even have a weekly book review in someone's signature...

Go to the polls! :D

I read about a book a week, and I'd be interested in a book forum.

I've been reading tons of Kurt Vonnegut lately.

How does NFSU get a forum to itself (with a humungous 25 threads in it..) yet, this is denied?

That's because you're a kid.

NFSU will have a very limited lifespan indeed, before you're all onto "NFSU is teh lame" when the next game is out. NFS probably does deserve a forum, I should add.

A good book will last a lot longer - longer even than this site. For instance, the first book in Terry Pratchett's brilliant Discworld series (now on 29 books) was published 6 years before you were even born. All are extremely funny and can teach you things accidentally.

Reading is good. It may not be "cool", whatever that is, but it beats modifying a fake Mazda MX-5/Miata with fake money and fake parts to race in a fake race against your fake friends.

Nearly 20 years later. An attempt to revive the thread.

Over the course of the last year, I got really moved by the Wings of Fire book series which got more into Books in general. My initial interest was all the major characters are Dragon but it goes into some serious heavy personal subject matter with the first 5 main characters in the first 5 books about child abuse and differing trauma effects it has, got me crying throughout Books 1, 4 and 5 but I also really enjoyed the entire Pentology.

Also got into Book 6 and 7 and I'm enjoying the main characters and the first villain being a 1st Book villain, Scarlet coming back for petty revenge and being absolutely terrifying with nothing left to lose though the 2nd villain they are building up to Darkstalker, is kind of boring.

I did read the prequel Book, Legends Darkstalker to see if it makes him more interesting but while Darkstalker is interesting in the Book as a naturally born Psychopath who doesn't see himself as evil (which hits home a theme of some people are just born evil but you might not notice until its too late because they don't think they are), it doesnt make him interesting as this Voldemoort like figure who'll come back and kill everyone in the 2nd pentology.

Been more into the Graphic Novel adaptations as I do love the visual expressions of the characters, but so far its been an amazing series, though I'm worried once Scarlet goes down, the series goes downhill fast (theres already retcons from the 1st pentology that hurt)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back