Buick to be next defunct brand? No.

• Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 21 comments

1X83Z

Premium
United States
usa
They won't let it happen! Buick's getting some new models -- they're, for one, getting the Bravada. Evidently, somehow, GM is going to slot Buick between Chevrolet and Cadillac as sort of a Mercury competitor. Unfortunately, that was where Oldsmobile was slotted, and it got canned (sort of like Mercury should). So let's see how well they do. In any event, this is the next GM SUV, the Buick Rainier, which basically is an Oldsmobile Bravada with new wheels, badging, and a slightly tweaked interior.

RAINIER.JPG

My prediciton: If Buick survives Bobby Lutz, it will remain indefinitely.

Originally posted by frestkd
There is word that Buick or Pontiac will be axed and most likely be Buick.

Kristof

Pontiac won't, it's in reinvention now. They've actually done something with the body that serves as the Bonneville.

If Buick doesn't do another Roadmaster, they'll continue to fade into insignificance like Plymouth did. If they do manage to produce something that looks good, goes well, and holds up for more than six months, that will keep them above water. They either need to shed the post-retirement image completely (not likely), or cater to it in the best way possible: retro cars, the kind the retirees remember from their 20's.

Originally posted by vat_man
Wasn't Buick the brand that has the image I once heard described as 'Retire. Buy a Buick. Die.'

That's basically it. For the retirees who can't afford a Cadillac, primarily.

buick1%20copy.jpg

Heh.

Originally posted by Hooligan
If Buick doesn't do another Roadmaster, they'll continue to fade into insignificance like Plymouth did. If they do manage to produce something that looks good, goes well, and holds up for more than six months, that will keep them above water. They either need to shed the post-retirement image completely (not likely), or cater to it in the best way possible: retro cars, the kind the retirees remember from their 20's.

I'm surprised to see the sheer number of buyers the Rendezvous has. Perhaps Buick is taking a step in the "right" direction, though their huge ad campaign on the GS Regal (which is fast) did about nothing for their image.

Originally posted by M5Power
I'm surprised to see the sheer number of buyers the Rendezvous has. Perhaps Buick is taking a step in the "right" direction, though their huge ad campaign on the GS Regal (which is fast) did about nothing for their image.

The Rendezvous isn't as popular here, nor is much of anything Buick. Ironically, the Matrix (Vibe's cousin) is selling well, at all spec levels. Then again, the NOPI-heads are of the majority here. Not too many fans of American cars if it's not an SUV.

Originally posted by M5Power
Evidently, somehow, GM is going to slot Buick between Chevrolet and Cadillac as sort of a Mercury competitor. Unfortunately, that was where Oldsmobile was slotted, and it got canned (sort of like Mercury should).

Both Oldsmobile and Mercury are victims of neglect, the only difference is that Olds actually started showing signs of renewal near the end in both sales and design. Which is probably why GM is still hanging on to it even though the marque was declared "dead" almost two years ago.

Mercury, on the other hand, is basically just Ford cars with different badging and slightly different styling. The only original model they have now is the Cougar. Ford should either extend their obsession with retrostyling to Mercury as well, or just kill it now before it winds up being fodder for "What's Wrong With Ford" articles in Detroit Free Press editorials.

Or hell, why not actually -- dare I suggest it -- design a couple new models exclusive to Mercury? A new performance-oriented Merc would probably be more welcome than a Mustang that sort of looks like it did back when they weren't dull as dishwater.

(The above is, of course, all in my opinion.)

My prediciton: If Buick survives Bobby Lutz, it will remain indefinitely.

As long as Tiger Woods has Buick on his golf bag, they'll survive alright.

Originally posted by Delray Sandusk
The only original model they have now is the Cougar.

The Cougar was cancelled at the end of the last model year... meaning Mercury is nothing, now, but a slightly more-refined Ford product. Aah!

The new Buick commercials...

...uhh...lets see some cushy boat-cars turning hard.

Do they really want 91 yr old Gladdis doing that? Do they think that 97 yr old Seamour will be impressed?

They are crappy. Isn't Caddy using commercials with a dead guy? I thought they were..."I'm *something something*, and I've come back to build you a great car"...yea righty...

Ohh, well that's worse. Not only are their cars crappy, but they are depending on a deceased leader.

Then again, all of the elders probably know who Harley Earl was and what he did...

Originally posted by MazKid
Ohh, well that's worse. Not only are their cars crappy, but they are depending on a deceased leader.

Then again, all of the elders probably know who Harley Earl was and what he did...

Two words: Buick, and Roadmaster. ;)

I think Buick deserves to be gone, why? Because they don't even bring any good cars lately (Rendezvous suck, Rainer is a ticking time bomb like the Isuzu Acender which American Isuzu in on the brink of extinction) since the Gran National came out in the late 80's. I also think that GM supposed to phase out Buick first, not Oldsmobile, in fact Olds deserves to have a second chance not Buick.

Latest Posts

Back