Classic Spa wrong?

• Thread starter Tool1312
  • 9 comments
There's a post on Race Department that says the Classic Spa track is incorrect. Is that true?

https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...c-terrible-beautiful-and-awfully-wrong.151924

Making historic tracks accurately is really difficult. When the track is as long as the classic Spa track it is almost certain there will be errors. However, evaluating accuracy is also difficult, especially elevations. How steep a track appears depends on the FOV you use for example.

I watched several pieces of period on-board footage and it is very difficult to judge elevation from these.

I decided to check out this criticism

the approach to Les Combes.. should be uphill, not downwards.

There is something of an optical illusion and it is quite hard to judge if its uphill, downhill or level. The method I used was to bring an open wheel car to a halt. Depress the clutch, release the brake and see which way the car rolled. This showed me the approach to Les Combes is actually uphill on the PC2 track, not downhill as claimed.

I also checked

such a dip at Malmedy.. it was never there..

IMO period footage does show a dip at Malmedy. Is it exactly as in PC2? - can't be sure but there is a dip.

Making historic tracks accurately is really difficult. When the track is as long as the classic Spa track it is almost certain there will be errors. However, evaluating accuracy is also difficult, especially elevations. How steep a track appears depends on the FOV you use for example.

I watched several pieces of period on-board footage and it is very difficult to judge elevation from these.

I decided to check out this criticism

the approach to Les Combes.. should be uphill, not downwards.

There is something of an optical illusion and it is quite hard to judge if its uphill, downhill or level. The method I used was to bring an open wheel car to a halt. Depress the clutch, release the brake and see which way the car rolled. This showed me the approach to Les Combes is actually uphill on the PC2 track, not downhill as claimed.

I also checked

such a dip at Malmedy.. it was never there..

IMO period footage does show a dip at Malmedy. Is it exactly as in PC2? - can't be sure but there is a dip.

Great post David! - I would be interested in your view of Rouen Les Essarts - it seems flat in the game, but photos of the track show quite a steep descent to the hairpin bend. I haven't seen any onboard footage. Apparently it was one of Fangio's favourite tracks!

Great post David! - I would be interested in your view of Rouen Les Essarts - it seems flat in the game, but photos of the track show quite a steep descent to the hairpin bend. I haven't seen any onboard footage. Apparently it was one of Fangio's favourite tracks!
I guess it's depend on FOV settings a lot. When I modified my rig and moved TV closer (37" TV in about 80 cm) also adjusted FOV according calculator, I was surprised how it changed feeling of elevation (Nordscleife as egz.). I needed some time to get used to it, sometimes I even feel nauseous from big elevations and tight corners :)

I will have a look at those - I've never tried altering the FOV.

They should release the Historic GP Circuit Charade (known as the French Nordschleife) - in real life the drivers were often sick during races there!
Altering the fov makes a huge difference regarding elevation & corner radius (almost to the point of making it feel like you can take the corner at a faster speed) placebo obviously, but it can play tricks on the mind.

Do a extreme test, run it @ 100 fov for a laugh then run @ 50 fov & you'll be amazed at difference.

Make sure to set your seat position identical in both though.

Looks fairly accurate to me. Perhaps there's a few more trees but the elevation looks about right. The FOV does make a difference.

Great footage, love the cars, also the non race car at 3:15 i think, silver, no idea what it is.
The guy is racing an open cockpit low safety car in a t-shirt hehe, i guess he thinks it won't make a difference if he crashes lol.
Track looks pretty good and similar.

Back