Engine Swap Randomness Question

• Thread starter evilGnius
  • 14 comments
United States
California
evil-G-nius
Who came up with these random engine swaps!? I mean, how does the Audi R8 4.2 fit in a Toyota MR2? Why not swap into something more believable like one of the newer VW's or even the stupid Samba Bus? IDK, some of the swaps seem a little silly and I also think they should broaden what cars these engines go into past one and only on car in some cases. I also think they should add some engines, why is there no RB26DETT swap, 4G63T, VR6 or 1.8T VW motors? Thoughts?

Who came up with these random engine swaps!? I mean, how does the Audi R8 4.2 fit in a Toyota MR2? Why not swap into something more believable like one of the newer VW's or even the stupid Samba Bus? IDK, some of the swaps seem a little silly and I also think they should broaden what cars these engines go into past one and only on car in some cases. I also think they should add some engines, why is there no RB26DETT swap, 4G63T, VR6 or 1.8T VW motors? Thoughts?
Why put a Ford Roadster hot rod in the game with NO engine swap for it :-( Also every muscle car should have a swappable engine as well. Not to mention every Mazda rotary should be able get the RB26 as well.

Besides, unless you did the ticket glitch and got all the available engines you will NEVER in your lifetime get many to play with anyway so it all becomes a moot point for most people and hence PD don't give a damn.

BTW I'm still waiting for the Ford GT engine to fit in my DeLorean >:-( How do you think I feel as I have over a 100 spare engines and not one will fit :-(

It's been done in real life though?

I posted a solution for swaps on Reddit. My idea was at collector level 40, everyone is able to purchase the lower hp swaps available at a premium price...say $250,000 each. Once you get to level 50 you unlock the rest of the swaps for purchase at say $500,000 each, but with all of these swaps you can only purchase them once. After that you would have to rely on luck in the roulette. This way everyone is able to level the playing field in a sense & it gives another incentive for people to continue to play the game.

I don't have a solution to what cars they will fit in though...PD needs to do better about that IMO

Last edited:
It's been done in real life though?

Not saying its not possible...I'm saying its a silly swap! I mean it could have at least been the second gen MR2! A more believable swap would have been a 3S-GTE swap or something. I believe there is also a V6 swap out there for the car. I just think they missed the mark on swap choices

Who came up with these random engine swaps!?
Polyphony Digital.
I mean, how does the Audi R8 4.2 fit in a Toyota MR2?
By taking out the original engine first and with a fair old bit of fabrication. Like all the other swaps in GT7 they either have been done before or are largely feasible without major structural work (the Boxer 6/Beetle conversion requires removal of the back seats and a new cradle, but has been done in the real world more than once).
IDK, some of the swaps seem a little silly
But they are all either swaps seen in the real world or physically possible swaps without significant alteration.
I also think they should broaden what cars these engines go into past one and only on car in some cases. I also think they should add some engines, why is there no RB26DETT swap, 4G63T, VR6 or 1.8T VW motors? Thoughts?
They add around five new swaps - either new engines or new applications for existing engines - in each content update. So... they are doing that.

Polyphony Digital. << This one was sort of rhetorical obviously

By taking out the original engine first and with a fair old bit of fabrication. Like all the other swaps in GT7 they either have been done before or are largely feasible without major structural work (the Boxer 6/Beetle conversion requires removal of the back seats and a new cradle, but has been done in the real world more than once). << I understand HOW engine swaps work, but there are several other more realistic swaps they could have chosen

But they are all either swaps seen in the real world or physically possible swaps without significant alteration. << Should have added more LS swaps instead of LT swaps tbh. These are more real world than LT swaps...just sayin

They add around five new swaps - either new engines or new applications for existing engines - in each content update. So... they are doing that. << They are taking too long and they still basically make them unicorns damn near impossible to obtain, so what really is the point?

I still need rotary beetle and ls ae86 (although this is common). We also need them to make another way to get engine swaps other than roulette. If not the ticket glitch we will never get that amount of engines. Just give me the damn engines PD.

I still need rotary beetle and ls ae86 (although this is common). We also need them to make another way to get engine swaps other than roulette. If not the ticket glitch we will never get that amount of engines. Just give me the damn engines PD.
Exactly! Did you see my idea ^^^ a couple posts back? I think it could work but I doubt PD would do it

Don't make blank posts, and don't insert words into other people's quotes.
This one was sort of rhetorical obviously

I understand HOW engine swaps work, but there are several other more realistic swaps they could have chosen

Should have added more LS swaps instead of LT swaps tbh. These are more real world than LT swaps...just sayin

They are taking too long and they still basically make them unicorns damn near impossible to obtain, so what really is the point?
This essentially boils down to "I want [these engine swaps] rather than [those engine swaps], and I want them now".

Which isn't really much of a question. PD adds an average of five engine swaps in each content update - some new engines, some new applications for existing engines - and we now have 35 in total. In the entire 24-year history of Gran Turismo before that, we had zero.

If the current 35 aren't to your liking, I'm sure five more will be along at the end of September. Of course you'd need to acquire the engines in order to perform the swaps, but that's an entirely different subject than why PD has chosen those swaps and not others that you'd personally choose.

Don't make blank posts, and don't insert words into other people's quotes.

This essentially boils down to "I want [these engine swaps] rather than [those engine swaps], and I want them now".

Which isn't really much of a question. PD adds an average of five engine swaps in each content update - some new engines, some new applications for existing engines - and we now have 35 in total. In the entire 24-year history of Gran Turismo before that, we had zero.

If the current 35 aren't to your liking, I'm sure five more will be along at the end of September. Of course you'd need to acquire the engines in order to perform the swaps, but that's an entirely different subject than why PD has chosen those swaps and not others that you'd personally choose.
No the question still stands. Why not go with the swaps that make sense & are known to exist vs. random swaps like putting race car engines in street cars that would almost certainly never happen. I'm all for some fantasy swaps but with a game billing itself as the best & "real" driving simulator you would think they would take that sort of thing all the way through the game...including swaps

Why not go with the swaps that make sense & are known to exist
Like all the other swaps in GT7 they either have been done before or are largely feasible without major structural work (the Boxer 6/Beetle conversion requires removal of the back seats and a new cradle, but has been done in the real world more than once).
🙅‍♀️

In the entire 24-year history of Gran Turismo before that, we had zero.
True we had zero, but surely someone at PDI is aware of hybriding that's been going on since the early GT days. Everyone would swap all kinds of engines into all kinds of cars, probably a small part of the reason we even have engine swaps in GT7 is due to it's history in hybriding culture in the franchise.

Why put a Ford Roadster hot rod in the game with NO engine swap for it :-( Also every muscle car should have a swappable engine as well. Not to mention every Mazda rotary should be able get the RB26 as well.

Besides, unless you did the ticket glitch and got all the available engines you will NEVER in your lifetime get many to play with anyway so it all becomes a moot point for most people and hence PD don't give a damn.

BTW I'm still waiting for the Ford GT engine to fit in my DeLorean >:-( How do you think I feel as I have over a 100 spare engines and not one will fit :-(
Lol, understand your grief of having all those engines and not one for a easy not terribly expensive swap. Just get some credits up and get one. I'm not sure of your situation but, I just raced all races in game, not lobby, that I could till I got enough.

Back