Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 10,487 comments
I did a little bit of strategy testing for the 4-lap GT1 Rd1 race at Nurburgring yesterday. There don't seem to be many variables here. There is a mandatory pit. The main question is whether to take new tires or not.

For me, driving the Dodge, I feel like taking fresh tires at the midpoint is the best choice. It looks like I lose 4 seconds on the final lap if I skip the tire change, but with the length of the track and inconsistencies in my driving of it, I don't have a lot of confidence in the accuracy of that number. Anyways, I could definitely feel the tires slipping more towards the end of the race if I didn't change them. To reduce the risk of late-race spin-outs, I feel it is safer to do the tire change, regardless of whether it is actually faster or not, so that's what I'm planning for.

Of course, if there is rain, the weather will dictate when to pit and switch tires. I'm not going to bother testing for that.

Metal Ape Racing are proud to have signed with Jaguar racing to champion the UK in the GTWS Manufacturers Cup.

Houses of Parliament_.jpeg

I did a little bit of strategy testing for the 4-lap GT1 Rd1 race at Nurburgring yesterday. There don't seem to be many variables here. There is a mandatory pit. The main question is whether to take new tires or not.

For me, driving the Dodge, I feel like taking fresh tires at the midpoint is the best choice. It looks like I lose 4 seconds on the final lap if I skip the tire change, but with the length of the track and inconsistencies in my driving of it, I don't have a lot of confidence in the accuracy of that number. Anyways, I could definitely feel the tires slipping more towards the end of the race if I didn't change them. To reduce the risk of late-race spin-outs, I feel it is safer to do the tire change, regardless of whether it is actually faster or not, so that's what I'm planning for.

Of course, if there is rain, the weather will dictate when to pit and switch tires. I'm not going to bother testing for that.
I made this exact mistake in the last exhibition season here. I saved about 5 seconds in the pit by not changing tyres, but the deterioration of the tyres, meant I lost about 8 seconds over the last 2 laps. A tyre change will help with consistency, and you won't be worrying about an impending spin out, which is very possible at the Green Hell.

After Ferrari and McLaren, my third participation in the manufacturers cup is with Alfa Romeo!
1715118298590.png

Thank you Big Chug energy drinks for sponsoring my GT3 team BCART, Big Chug Alfa Romeo Team (nothing to do with F1's VCARB). ;)
This is probably going to be my first time driving a car that was not selected by the manufacturer (most likely going to drive the 155 instead of the 4C for GT4 races).

Picked Renault for the Manu cup. First time in GT1 , picked Lexus in the exhibition. I followed @Moose78 approach by trying with a kind of an underdog as in the dailies I always go for meta.

However my current pace at nords is atrocious. The only clean lap I finished was a 8.15.

Following a 8.03 ghost I'm behind 2s going into the nordschleife. However the gap just keeps increasing throughout. First time driving this car so tomorrow I'll give it a bit more practice to try to pick up some pace. Any pointers from fellow Renault drivers or anyone who knows the car? Shifting points (currently revving it out like the Porsche), brake balance should be forwards or backwards?

Deciding to go with Hyundai for the Manu series for ships and squiggles. Hopefully I'm the only one in Canada and in GT1 for those sweet sweet credits. It's a bit of clunker to drive and second gear is pretty deadly but I'm looking forward to getting stronger in an FR racer. Good luck everyone!

On another note, it looks like everyone we'd expect to see has qualified for the Nations cup.

It's been a while since I've participated in the Manu Cup, so I decided to enter this one. It's probably not the quickest but I went with Lamborghini again as I've raced them in the past and I'm comfortable in them. I won't be doing all the rounds as I have something going on tomorrow and I'll probably skip Fuji as it's not my favorite track. But, my Nordschleife races usually end in disaster so it's not all bad I guess. I have been running practice laps there however to get the rust off so to say.

My livery is based on the Buffalo Sabres NHL team home jersey and a change from my usual orange and black colors. I'm looking forward to get back to some racing and perhaps I'll see you in the GT2 Americas lobbies. Good luck to all.

Home Straight, Watkins Glen__3.jpeg

Really torn on the tire change for tomorrow. Just a ran in a lobby, no tire change. Great race, smooth and relatively quick (for me), and still had 50% life left at the end which aligns with my initial test and seems a change is unnecessary.

But seeing several people here, and a couple streamer practice lobbies today, I’m now doubting myself. I guess I’ll just check the gaps and decide on the fly…

Deciding to go with Hyundai for the Manu series for ships and squiggles. Hopefully I'm the only one in Canada and in GT1 for those sweet sweet credits. It's a bit of clunker to drive and second gear is pretty deadly but I'm looking forward to getting stronger in an FR racer. Good luck everyone!

On another note, it looks like everyone we'd expect to see has qualified for the Nations cup.
It's actually a very competent car, I almost put my signature on the dotted line, but the allure of Porsche was too much for me unfortunately. I found sticking -1 brake balance helped keep the car composed, as it had a tendency to snap oversteer out of slow speed corners. Good luck!

Last edited:
Really torn on the tire change for tomorrow. Just a ran in a lobby, no tire change. Great race, smooth and relatively quick (for me), and still had 50% life left at the end which aligns with my initial test and seems a change is unnecessary.

But seeing several people here, and a couple streamer practice lobbies today, I’m now doubting myself. I guess I’ll just check the gaps and decide on the fly…
Nurb 24 is such a big track, that the 5 seconds you'll gain by not changing tyres, will be eaten up over the next 2 laps. This is just my opinion, based on experience. But go with your gut.

Just came out of the third Asia/Oceania GT2 slot. Was a pretty straightforward race, pitted at the end of lap 2, didn't take tires. I picked Honda this season, the car is a bit of a handful for me so I wasn't excpeting to do well however my slot was low points so I was able to finish in P2.

I’ve chosen Alfa for the season. It’s not the best Gr3 available, but I fell in love with the way it drives in the Exhibition season. It also helps that it is drop-dead gorgeous.

Given how unpopular it is, I was pretty sure I would be right up there for GT1 in Australia… but now I find out that Andrew Lee has picked it as well. :rolleyes:

Just over 4 hours until the green hell.

Last edited:
I’ve chosen Alfa for the season. It’s not the best Gr3 available, but I fell in love with the way it drives in the Exhibition season. It also helps that it is drop-dead gorgeous.

Given how unpopular it is, I was pretty sure I would be right up there for GT1 in Australia… but now I find out that Andrew Lee has picked it as well. :rolleyes:

Just over 4 hours until the green hell.
The last time I drove for Alfa, was in GT Sport and it was my most enjoyable and successful season, in all the years playing GT Sport. I think they've finally got the car right in GT7 after all the updates. It's a sleeper at Daytona RC. Good luck for the season ahead.

Let’s go Porsche!
Always want to use Porsche as a manufacturer but with the Cayman been so poor I’ve never picked it. Can give the RSR a go this time, so let’s see how I can fair.

Kinda hate that Porsche is one off the best on the game right now, but oh well.

Nurburgring24h done a little testing there, looks like a 2/2 with tyre stop, which seems a little boring as everyone will be doing the same strat. Does it rain? Not seen or heard anyone mention rain so.. Hopefully I can in the 6pm UK lobby if I have time.

Attachments

• IMG_6511.jpeg
    IMG_6511.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 0
Back