How do you tune out excessive body sway and sudden snatch oversteer on sweeping bends (speedway)

• Thread starter VolusiaF30
  • 8 comments

VolusiaF30

(Banned)
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I was on a super-speedway shaped track in a Dodge Viper 02. It just constantly suffered from immediate unexpected snap oversteer randomly on the bends. I've tried body stiffening upgrade, full race shocks, race tyres etc. Tried high downforce, soft and hard spring settings, minimal LSD, nothing fixed it. The Miata suffers from the same but not as bad. If it doesn't randomly snatch it will sway excessively on corner exit leading to uncontrollable fishtailing,
I gave up and used the Camaro ZL1 and got gold on my first attempt with no assists.

On some cars this is definitly broken with no solution you should need to find as a player.
If I find any car to behave like that, I just ditch it and dont look back. It is not worth the effort in my opinion, because making it "driveable" means sacrifing making it better compared to a car that already handles good.

On some cars this is definitly broken with no solution you should need to find as a player.
If I find any car to behave like that, I just ditch it and dont look back. It is not worth the effort in my opinion, because making it "driveable" means sacrifing making it better compared to a car that already handles good.
This is an example of the issue:

It seems like a possible suspension problem I don't know. But some RWD cars suffer from it really bad whereas others are completely unaffected.

It seems like a possible suspension problem I don't know. But some RWD cars suffer from it really bad whereas others are completely unaffected.

Can you screen shot your settings, I'll see if I can make some time to replicate the situation and look into solutions

Can you screen shot your settings, I'll see if I can make some time to replicate the situation and look into solutions
I've messed around with the settings since then but it occurs whatever settings you use.
It has front and rear downforce installed, wide body, hypercharger, some engine mods, race exhaust, race intake, full custom suspension, weight reduction to stage 2, race tyres, increased body rigidity, roll cage, custom LSD with settings at around 10, 15, 10. If you buy those upgrades and take it to that track you'll experience it and nothing you change has any real influence on preventing it.
I think it's a body roll issue. Sometimes when I did make the corner it would sway left to right before fishtailing into the barrier, even on super hard springs/antiroll bars and high downforce.

Looks like it bit you at the turn in the moment you touched the steering wheel but maybe took a second to fully manifest. At those high speeds, I'd first look at aerodynamics.

i) Try minimum front downforce and maximum rear downforce (reduce front end bite and maximise rear grip).
ii) Try again with medium ride heights all around (in case DF/body roll is bottoming you out somewhere).

If still bad then this is likely not (or not just) an aero issue.

iii) Toe to zero all around (I have found some cars, even with rear toe in, lose stability)
iv) Front camber zero
v) LSD Decel setting - try raising it as your car was on the overrun when it spun. Try 20 or 30 Decel.
iv) Try softer dampers all around

Good luck.

1. Try carrying some throttle through the corner to stabilize the car. Off throttle oversteer is a real thing. lol.
  2. Try stiffening the front roll bar more than the rear.
  3. Try stiffening the front springs more than the rear.
  4. Try less downforce in the front, than the rear.

I've cured this on most my cars. A big secret I found is rear down force with no front downforce. As soon as I start adding front downforce especially on rwd cars they get super unpredictable. This had made huge improvements on my cars. Also excessive rear toe in can exaggerate the snap over steer. Rear camber keep lower to keep more tire on the road. Keep the ride heights higher so suspension can move. Also my biggest help on handling has been this : this chart is absolute gold!

Good luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220624-092316_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-092316_YouTube.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 65
Back