How to fix the PP system/tuning once and for all

• Thread starter bduddy
  • 9 comments
United States
Federal Way, WA, USA
Tulipix
So the newest Manufacturers' Cup race, and a lot of the surrounding setups, discussion, etc, is proving that despite some of the improvements in the last patch, there are still issues with the PP system. And there are always going to be issues, as long as the current philosophy of taking the car's entire setup and simulating tests, is in place.
I don't know why PD decided to go with the system they did - maybe they thought that by doing so, they would also be able to "balance" a good setup, versus a bad setup. But this is fatally flawed, because a "good setup" versus a "bad setup" is not just a fixed, linear thing. In reality, any setup will be better in some situations and worse in others. So with the current system, the "meta" will always be to find setups that do very badly in the PP simulations, but not quite as badly on the actual racetrack, which allows you to pile on more power, downforce, whatever. No amount of "fixing" the PP simulations and calculations will ever help that, because the simulations will always be different from the track, and there will always be advantage to be gained by finding those differences.
There is a solution, though, and it's quite simple.

Just make it so setup doesn't affect PP!

The PP calculations should be run on the car with all of the default settings for the parts you have fitted (suspension, gearbox, differential, excluding ballast and power restrictor of course). Thus, there would be no ability to tank your PP with weird suspension, gearing, or the like, as is seen in all of the current "meta" setups. Yes, this would stop the grinding exploits once and for all. But with all of the current ways to gain PP, I would much rather improve the game and the racing overall then worry about getting all of the cars slightly faster. This also means that tuning can, finally, be about only making the best handling, best driving car, just like it is in real life, and not about gaming the system. This will also make it a lot easier to drive cleanly and not having cars trip over each other because of weird suspensions, top speed, power differentials, whatever.

Possible issues?
  • Drivers with better setups will do better - This already happens, it's just about gaming the PP system instead of actually making a good setup. Making a good setup should be part of racing, and it appears as though there will always be non-tuning/BoP races in all modes if you don't want to get into that.
  • Certain parts like differentials can still tank the PP - This can be solved by using the higher of the PP values for the fitted part or the stock part.
  • Waah waah I need to grind - There are plenty of ways to make over a million credits an hour in the game already. You don't need to have every car in the game right now.

It's an interesting idea...

I have one question... was there a similar PP bug on previous versions of GT? if not... why don't they use that "old" system that seemed to work fine?

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION....
PP should only take account of Power (Hp) and this includes all that you can do to affect the power for example the addition of turbo/supercharger, permanent engine modification, intake and exhaust parts, AND the adjustments of ECU / PWR RESTRICTOR / BALLAST.
PP should also take account of transmission setting as this also affects power.
PP should NOT account for suspension, tyres, and aero for the reason of little effect on power.
Suspension settings are for you to be able to drive it well, same with tyres and aero pkg.
That is a simple fix to the PP calculation ...

It's an interesting idea...

I have one question... was there a similar PP bug on previous versions of GT? if not... why don't they use that "old" system that seemed to work fine?
Setups were not taken into account in calculating pp. Only the tuning parts added. The only 'bug' I recall was running a car with dirty oil to decrease pp. In many time trials, the Chapparal 2j was the meta as a result.

Setups were not taken into account in calculating pp. Only the tuning parts added. The only 'bug' I recall was running a car with dirty oil to decrease pp. In many time trials, the Chapparal 2j was the meta as a result.
Seems like we found the winning formula then :D Simple fix ;) Polyphony, keep it simple... simple is good!

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION....
PP should only take account of Power (Hp) and this includes all that you can do to affect the power for example the addition of turbo/supercharger, permanent engine modification, intake and exhaust parts, AND the adjustments of ECU / PWR RESTRICTOR / BALLAST.
PP should also take account of transmission setting as this also affects power.
PP should NOT account for suspension, tyres, and aero for the reason of little effect on power.
Suspension settings are for you to be able to drive it well, same with tyres and aero pkg.
That is a simple fix to the PP calculation ...
But transmission settings are one of the biggest problems, looking at the "setups" for the current Manufacturer's race as well as the Tomahawk exploits. People should be able to adjust their transmission to whichever fits the track the best, without having to worry about PP. And tires are one of the most important factors as to how fast a car goes, of course they should affect the PP!

I know that with the state of the AI it's not massively relevant but.. the fact that AI event races are based on the pp system is fundamentally flawed as well because in a 800pp race, populated entirely with gt3 cars, you can take a super gt or lmp car and restrict the power + add ballast and perform ten times better than with a gt3 car. honestly so many aspects of gt7 are so flawed and probably barely tested

For me the PP should give an idea of the "Class" the car falls in, rather than being an indication of the optimality of the setup settings, especially when most of the time they're not even true. If the number was that meaningful, BOP would be as simple as matching that number and we all know this doesn't work.

I think PP should reflect the potential of the hardware in the car (i.e, power, tyres, weight, aero, and custom parts), rather than how their settings affect the car performance. If one selects the wrong setup, the actual car is the same than another properly set up car and should be in the same class bracket

Turn BoP on and don’t let people adjust individual gears which is the way people are glitching. This way you can adjust for your driving style, adjust gears for different tracks and BoP will balance things. This is for race cars. For non race cars I don’t know how the BoP would work, so maybe turn BoP off and don’t let people adjust individual gears.

Back