• Thread starter Keef
  • 12 comments

Keef

Premium
United States
Dayton, OH
GTP_KeefRacer
GTP Keef
My distaste for the New Defender has lead me to spend thirty minutes searching for a thread on the upcoming Ineos Grenadier, Britain's best off-roader and workhorse SUV, the actual spiritual successor to the Old Defender. This thing has been in development for years and I can't believe no thread has been made on it. I assume a bunch of you already know about this thing but here it is anyway.

You read that right, it's made by Ineos, the chemical company that doesn't make cars, except now they do. And it's legit - penned on a bar napkin by a drunken Sir Ratcliffe and his rich friends, the Grenadier combines all the best aspects of British ingenuity, including engineering by Magna-Steyr, power by BMW, drive by Carraro, and assembly by France. Okay, so it's not entirely British but the various parts will form a sort of European union that should prove very effective off-road.

Included in the package are a large box in which people and things go, a modern and surprisingly reliable BMW inline-6 up front, a fully-boxed ladder frame underneath those, and two live axles suspended below that. Off to a good start. And it'll have real suspension, not airbags, which is even better news. And it'll have rear and front locking differentials which is the best news you could ask for. Suddenly this thing is sounding as hardcore as a classic Defender, older G-wagon, 90s and earlier Land Cruiser, or Wrangler Rubicon. In fact the Grenadier is currently one of only two light-duty SUVs with front and rear live axles and front and rear lockers, the other being the Jeep. But the Jeep doesn't have cool aircraft-inspired switchgear.

78c4ce425e9e43e9992e09d8c5957e7d

f30658de50c84727b92bd84e6c3eca12
4f96c6031b1345f5aab44c97d1a6fcfa
0d9f00af389b4b7d8811eec22f126a12
c8c89f7eb1e3437789da646513c53b47

1bc9bc720bb2456489dccc627de2b42d

0d42809ed9154cd3ba78d497be787f4e

0bfa6221db2a4a9da453cc6ab2b0c176

The best part?

Coming 2 America movie review: Eddie Murphy-starrer is a massive  disappointment | Entertainment News,The Indian Express

It's coming to America!

Eddie Murphy talks Coming to America 2 | EW.com

That's right, Ineos is about to cut the Defender's sales in half in North America by offering the product that people actually wanted. 2023 will be a good year for off-roading, as long as Ineos can keep the price appropriate. Speculation suggests otherwise but I think that speculation is wrong - Ineos would be a fool to not substantially undercut the Defender, and to compete directly with the Bronco's Sasquatch package and Wrangler Rubicon, both of which can be had below $45,000. If the Grenadier with its standard lockers can start at that, or even $50k, it will basically end sales of lower-spec Defenders, which of course barely exist anyway as we knew they wouldn't because Land Rover loves nothing more than to prey on wealthy Americans who adore nameplates.

Anyways, if you aren't already following them with excitement, Ineos has a Youtube channel for the Grenadier where they've shared videos throughout development. They're a fun watch.

Here's a recent Carfection video:

All hail Ineos, the savior of the classic British off-road workhorse!

Last edited:
I love hate the story behind this. The car was supposed to be made in Wales?

Ended up being made in France for various reasons. I feel like this will be like that project car that a billionaire wanted to make.

Also price will be hilarious given that its supposed to be £40-50k pound sterling.

I feel like this will be the suv that all the celebs flock to so therefore it'll always be expensive, in demand.

I'm guessing any conventional suv would work out better.

It's an automatic. Is that not going to be a problem when off-roading?

That red "Toot" button on the steering wheel is that the horn? I like that button.

Last edited:
I'm guessing any conventional suv would work out better.
It's intended to fill the same gap as the departing Defender which basically did everything imaginable in the UK.
It's an automatic. Is that not going to be a problem when off-roading?
Automatics are always better for off-roading because the torque converter can slip which makes throttle modulation very easy. A common technique on complex terrain is to use the throttle and brake at the same time which is easy with an automatic. Torque converters also use wet clutch packs which means they're less prone to damage and heat from slipping. Off-roading with a manual is very difficult and a pretty advanced skill.

Last edited:
My favorite part about the Grenadier is the use of roof for control panels. Not sure why more car companies don't do this, especially the ones with insane dashboard buttonry

My favorite part about the Grenadier is the use of roof for control panels. Not sure why more car companies don't do this, especially the ones with insane dashboard buttonry
Routing all that wiring up to the roof panel increases production costs and I would imagine would be a bit of a servicing nightmare if something isn't sealed just right and moisture gets up in there. I would imagine those are less of a problem for a specialty vehicle like this that doesn't have to be stamped out in the tens of thousands every year.

That equates to about $61,000 USD. Not great, not terrible. It starts at around the same price that a Bronco Badlands Sasquatch maxes out at, before various accessories. Hopefully TFL will be able to compare them directly because I have to assume both the Sasquatch and Rubicon will be more capable than the Grenadier, although the Grenadier will probably be the best of the rest considering that we don't get the 70-series LC in the US. Overall it's a compelling option if you're shopping at the top of the market for the most capable vehicle. Problem is you can add Sasquatch capability to basically any trim level Bronco and get a vehicle equally as capable for much cheaper.

Last edited:
2022 Ineos Automotive Grenadier pricing*:

Utility Wagon (a)$84,500
Utility Wagon Trialmaster Edition (a)$95,495
Utility Wagon Fieldmaster Edition (a)$95,495
Station Wagon (a)$85,500
Station Wagon Trialmaster Edition (a)$96,495
Station Wagon Fieldmaster Edition (a)$96,496
*Pricing excludes on-road costs.

That range goes from about $60k USD to $68k. Still not great, not terrible. I'm still a fan of this thing although it appears they didn't leave much room for bigger tires. We'll have to see how the aftermarket supports it. If it's going to be competitive in the American market it needs to be able to fit 35 inch tires because even the mall crawlers put big tires on their Jeeps. At least half of the buyers of off-road trucks modify their trucks in the US.

Last edited:
I see a couple on the road. Look like a Defender that’s just a bit off.

Steering recall for the early models.
By trying to ape the Defender so closely, they have fallen into the 'uncanny valley' I experience when I see one of the many Caterham 7 copies.

Latest Posts

Back