Talentless

Yes, I am still alive.
Staff Emeritus
WFG9
Villeneuve sees red after practice shunt
“I am furious with Montoya.” [09/06/01 - 00:22]

montoya-montreal_080601_220x154.jpg

Juan Pablo Montoya

illiams driver, Juan Pablo Montoya has provoked 1997 world champion, Jacques Villeneuve into a blistering attack after they came together during the first practice session of Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix on Friday. Villeneuve and Montoya clashed during the session and a lap later Villeneuve hit the barrier hard after his BAR snapped out of control while doing 150 mp/h on the exit of turn five.

Thankfully the Canadian escaped unscathed from the incident, however he didn't hesitate to blame the rookie driver, who earlier this season also induced Michael Schumacher into a similar outburst when the two came together in the Austrian Grand Prix. Villeneuve explained that he had been hit up the back by Juan Pablo Montoya before the accident and the Canadians made sure the Colombian knew he was far from impressed.

I was actually at the point where I was deciding to brake and I just came off the throttle and turned into the wall,” he explained. “Juan Pablo ran into the back to me a couple of laps before the crash. I am upset because it must be the fifth or sixth time this year that he's been blocking and he's on a mission for something. Normally when you get blocked, I've blocked some people also, you try to get out of the way and sometimes you don't make it but you still make an effort and give some room to the other person. I am furious with Montoya. It is not the first time that he has tried this manoeuvre. I tried already to get an explanation out of him but he doesn't appear to understand. Maybe he isn't intelligent enough to understand and if he isn't intelligent enough to comprehend then maybe we will have to teach him a lesson on the track.

Damage to the BAR was substantial, in that a new tub is required to build up a car for today's qualifying session.

Latest 15 stories, here...Changes delay MichaelIrvine third for Michelin in ...Friday press conferenceVilleneuve sees red after ...McLaren duo lead practiceGood day for AlesiA disappointing start for ...Opening day disaster for ...Typical Friday for ...Two in the top sixHakkinen smashes track ...Abrupt end for FrentzenEncouraging start for Jaguar ...Difficult start for ...Sauber headed in the right ...  
Robyn Schmidt, Chief English Editor
CAPSIS International

Also from F1-Live

(Edited by Talentless at 3:21 pm on June 8, 2001)

Man, I wish I had seen that!  Montoya needs to clean up his act a bit.

I think he should start being a bit more carefull. It is his rookie year in F1 and you can forgive him for mistakes up to a certain point but he isn't doing himself any favours. There are two drivers that you don't want to rub up the wrong way - Schumacher and Villeneuve because they will only come back for revenge.

Quote: from Phil on 1:21 pm on June 9, 2001[br]I think he should start being a bit more carefull. It is his rookie year in F1 and you can forgive him for mistakes up to a certain point but he isn't doing himself any favours. There are two drivers that you don't want to rub up the wrong way - Schumacher and Villeneuve because they will only come back for revenge.

Yeah, and hope that no one gets hurt in the process.

They will it do it some way where they wont get the blame or get in trouble. I heard that Villeneuve tried to punch Montoya in the drivers briefing yesterday and that they only tried to break the two up when Villeneuve had him by the throat.

Whoa!  Man, I didn't know the sparks were that big.  

I would expect whoever had to pay for Villeneuve's car to be the most upset.  :)

Latest Posts

Back