japanese creators?

United States
United States
When i go look at the decal collection, these japanese players have some very detailed and complex images they are uploading, while i'm having issues getting a simple image to the file size allowed. What is the trick? how are they getting these complex decals under 15 kb?

P.S i've used every online compression site there is, so i know they aren't using just that. Sites like svgomg

Last edited:
The best way to understand filesize is to open the .svg in notepad, Thats the raw xml, The data.

The trouble is that you only have a limited amount of data available, Things like seperate objects require seperate instant's of stating the colour of the fill/stroke as well as style of the fill/stroke. So you want to have as little objects as possible.

Then there is the node data. The more nodes the more data and the more decimals (Precision) used the larger the whole bulk of the filesize becomes.

The trick therefore in producing files with complex designs is to be as effeciant as possible in producing the image whilst using as little data as possible and thats something that just take experience in your vector editor of choice.

P.S i've used every online compression site there is, so i know they aren't using just that. Sites like svgomg
They can only do so much. The real talent is making and optimising the SVG before it gets to those sites, and it's not a nationality thing.

ya, just wasn't sure if there was anything like that. but better. I've seen some online tools go under the radar before. As for the nationality thing, well, in the collections folder, those are the only people i see making incredible decals. So i could only assume they had a japanese online website tool that does a better job? However, the guy above pretty much explained why they have such good decals with so little size. i tried to dabble with a vector program and my brain almost exploded.

Examining the really good decals and seeing how they have created what looks to be complex with actually quite little is mind boggling,

So i could only assume they had a japanese online website tool that does a better job
I cringe reading your posts. What?

I’m efficient and quite good at making decals (without gradient though, as my app of choice doesn’t make compatible svg’s for gradient work), I just don’t share what I make, most of the time. I’ve made several thousand decals and in GTS I shared maybe 400? Needed space for my creations(many of which never shared)

P.S.: I’m Norwegian

I cringe reading your posts. What?

I’m efficient and quite good at making decals (without gradient though, as my app of choice doesn’t make compatible svg’s for gradient work), I just don’t share what I make, most of the time. I’ve made several thousand decals and in GTS I shared maybe 400? Needed space for my creations(many of which never shared)

P.S.: I’m Norwegian
There are some programs made for decal creation that as far as i know are only availible in JP,

https://github.com/hiro-98/SvgoAutoExe Is a program for monitering the filesize of a file with the option for auto splitting, But it is in JP and still requires you to know how to create svgs, so its of limited use except the poweruser as such.

There is also a gradient fixer https://gtswiki.manony-failure.tokyo/decal/fix-gradation.php? But i find it can only go so far, Maybe it might be of use to you.

I'm glad someone knows this. That guy seems to be new to the internet and don't know this. Being half japanese myself and spending time on the japanese side of things, i can assure people that there are a lot of neat programs and websites locked behind a language barrier. So you wouldn't be able to find them unless A) you knew the language and B) knew the key words to search for.
But ya, none of those sites helped much unfortunately.

Last edited:
There are some programs made for decal creation that as far as i know are only availible in JP,

https://github.com/hiro-98/SvgoAutoExe Is a program for monitering the filesize of a file with the option for auto splitting, But it is in JP and still requires you to know how to create svgs, so its of limited use except the poweruser as such.

There is also a gradient fixer https://gtswiki.manony-failure.tokyo/decal/fix-gradation.php? But i find it can only go so far, Maybe it might be of use to you.
But if they’re better because they’re japanese.. seemed weird. :lol: Easier to use maybe.
I split my own decals where needed, so I can have complex designs made easy with just copying and replacing decals without changing size/position. :)

I’ll check it, thanks. I haven’t actually needed gradients yet, but one day I might!

Using online svg converters is your first problem!
They use very generic conversions, and don’t worry about how many nodes they have, hence big file sizes.
The only way to really get very complex svgs with small sizes is to literally edit every node manually in something like Inkscape.
There is a huge gulf between using Inkscape and an automatic converter regarding the finished item, and also a huge gulf in terms of skill/knowledge needed.
Ive created some very complex svgs before, simply by sitting for literally hours manually editing nodes to slowly bring the size down, and just for the record, I’m a English!

Last edited:
Jesus christ, ppl are really stuck on and or offended about the japanese thing, lmao. ( i didn't say, nor imply that only japanese people possess this ultimate genetic ability to make amazing svg files). Now that is over, i do appreciate your detailed response and ya, that is what i picked up as i was looking around. Messed around with inkscape for a bit. Was a bit overwhelming for me picking it up for the first time. Definitely something ill need to tinker with before i can grasp what i'm doing on it.

My English comment was tongue in cheek, and I definitely wasn‘t offended! I guess the sarcasm got lost 😂
I remember when I started playing Sport and wanted to create decals.
I’d been a confident and very experienced Photoshop user for many years, but had to learn vectors as a whole new skill. It’s well worth putting in the time and effort.

oh ok, lmao. I was like, "god damn, this isn't going to go away". Ya, i skipped sport, because i thought it was more of a beta or a side project. Was waiting for a legit full gran turismo game to be released, which took forever. So the last game i played was gt5 which is by far my favorite so far and wish they would just port it over completely. gt5 was their best game. Roulette races and all. i miss it lol. I have a bad habit of easily forgetting stuff if i don't stick with it consistently. I used to be good at gimp, but my short term memory is complete ass lol. So i can't remember ****.

Your user name and profile image makes me wish I signed up as "Dreamy Ghost." I was in love with that yellow NSX in Zero.

Yeah, some decals folks upload are wild. Full on portraits sometimes. I just saw a stunning replica of the "25" anniversary art last night, with the cars and fading blue to red.

Back