Mandatory location at livery competitions

• Thread starter dizco
  • 55 comments
Not a lot of time now, but let me quickly throw in one of my favorite locations.
No distractions from other stuff in the background and due to the angle of the road you can play with the perspective of the car.
Bright sunlight makes the colours pop.

This one is great for side views, cant lift the camera though.

I’ll post more suggestions in the coming days.
Maybe create a poll with some of the best suggestions after a while?

Not a lot of time now, but let me quickly throw in one of my favorite locations.
No distractions from other stuff in the background and due to the angle of the road you can play with the perspective of the car.

The first one is cool, but the second one is a bit too busy / heavy in contrast for my liking...

I don't know the location that @Sian posted back in August, but it looks good as well.
Sagerstrom Center for the Arts, California

18ea8165cbc3-screenshotUrl.png
This is the default view and placement of the car

18ea8165cbc14-screenshotUrl.png

Zoom 100mm and that's it

18ea8165cbc91-screenshotUrl.png

Maybe we should have a poll... submit a Scapes location (or a non-scapes, in-the-editor scene like @MatskiMonk suggested) and put it down to a vote?? Need a front three quarter and a rear three quarter, and ideally one is elevated.

I just shot my Peter Halley BMW art car here, I thought it was a pretty good elevated shot.
Since I found this spot, that's one of my personal favourites places to show my liveries

Maybe we should have a poll... submit a Scapes location (or a non-scapes, in-the-editor scene like @MatskiMonk suggested) and put it down to a vote?? Need a front three quarter and a rear three quarter, and ideally one is elevated.
If you guys choose the in editor shot, only ps5 owners can participate going forwards, please keep that in mind. There is no straight forward way for some of us to get those captures out of the ps4, that I have found.

If you guys choose the in editor shot, only ps5 owners can participate going forwards, please keep that in mind. There is no straight forward way for some of us to get those captures out of the ps4, that I have found.
The way I do it:

Use the PSN app on my phone.
In game, take screenshot > share via PSN message.
I usually message my alt account or a friend / group.
On my phone I'll then open that chat and download the image.
Then share on here like normal.

Does that process make sense / sound reasonable?

That said, I've found the quality to be fairly poor, but I've mostly been taking images from the main garage, or in the GT Auto garage scene where the camera is moving around the car as the shot it taken. I've not played with taking screen shots in the livery editor recently - I'll have a try tonight and report on quality.

I've not played with taking screen shots in the livery editor recently - I'll have a try tonight and report on quality.

Even on PS5 garage shots have appalling RT artifacts and motion blur, you don't get that in the livery editor.

The linework on this is still relatively clear.

1712219994849.png

But if you look at the M stripes at the front, you'll see dot dithering where the colour depth isn't enough.

Even on PS5 garage shots have appalling RT artifacts and motion blur, you don't get that in the livery editor.

The linework on this is still relatively clear.

View attachment 1343359

But if you look at the M stripes at the front, you'll see dot dithering where the colour depth isn't enough.
Please tell me where (how) have you found these decals! I've never found them!
The way I do it:

Use the PSN app on my phone.
In game, take screenshot > share via PSN message.
I usually message my alt account or a friend / group.
On my phone I'll then open that chat and download the image.
Then share on here like normal.

Does that process make sense / sound reasonable?

That said, I've found the quality to be fairly poor, but I've mostly been taking images from the main garage, or in the GT Auto garage scene where the camera is moving around the car as the shot it taken. I've not played with taking screen shots in the livery editor recently - I'll have a try tonight and report on quality.
That's exactly what I used to do on PS4

And must I guess you won't share them?
It's not quite that straightforward, they were drawn for this car to be layered up and adjusted a certain way, they're not a lot of use on their own. I've just updated my previous post, but the livery is shared and editable, you can see for yourself that it's not actually that complex, and neither are the decals.

(PS : gonna look for what BMW online ETK is)
Online parts catalogue, this is the one I used...

Last edited:
Love the discussion – I've generally hated trying to find locations to photograph with… most do a poor job showing liveries.

I can think of some criteria we should hit:
  1. Avoid strong direct lighting that casts dark shadows on parts of the car
  2. Avoid overly colorful backgrounds as those will benefit or hurt certain designs
  3. Avoid artificial light, or moody lighting – something neutral is best
  4. One location that works for front/rear view like today
  5. Still studio-like shot, no rolling shots
  6. Anything that can minimize complex setup… As close to place the car + snap the photo is best
Then I love having the extra action shots – those are usually the ones that look best.

Today's image actually does a lot of these well. #3 is where it really falls flat. If it were an outside setting I think it would be fine as-is.

The thinking of one shared location is to judge based on livery rather than photo skills. I participate in the #gtcommunity on Discord some, and they are a free-for-all which makes for some beautiful entries, but photo composition becomes a huge part of the package… which misses the mark IMO.

I'll skim thru my 15 or so saved settings and see if any are a contender.

OK, I found a few more than I thought I would… here are some of mine that I think would be contenders. Looking for feedback!

I have not opened the game to see if any of these are vertically adjustable…

There are a few that are basically outdoor versions of our current setup with better lighting.

This one in the Audi TT and BMW I've used on for a lot of cars. It's very neutral but has soft-ish neutral outdoor lighting and colors pop pretty nicely. Feels like the most direct replacement I have in my gallery to what we use today. If I HAD to pick one today, I'd settle on this one…

---

Another similar, but a bit more stark option is this one with the Corvette. The background may be too light for a white livery, but that remains to be tested.

---

This is another pitlane / garage location, and does have some vertical adjustment. May be too gritty, and look at those lovely trashcans.

---

This is another neutral shot, with a darker background than the other. Very studio lighting, may have too many reflections from above… would be worth trying a non-white car to check.

---

I use this location a ton… there'a a motion blur here but you don't need to. It's a bit elevated to shows off all dimension of the car without feeling too overhead. Lighting is a bit intense though, so may not work for all cars with the shadows it can create

---

There are a lot of art gallery -type of locations in the game and those tend to be the type of inside shots with neutral good lighting. A couple examples:

We get 4 or 5 together and then vote for 2

I didn’t know that.
So PS4 can’t screenshot and take it off the app?
Makes it a non runner

OK, I found a few more than I thought I would… here are some of mine that I think would be contenders. Looking for feedback!

I have not opened the game to see if any of these are vertically adjustable…

There are a few that are basically outdoor versions of our current setup with better lighting.

This one in the Audi TT and BMW I've used on for a lot of cars. It's very neutral but has soft-ish neutral outdoor lighting and colors pop pretty nicely. Feels like the most direct replacement I have in my gallery to what we use today. If I HAD to pick one today, I'd settle on this one…

---

Another similar, but a bit more stark option is this one with the Corvette. The background may be too light for a white livery, but that remains to be tested.

---

This is another pitlane / garage location, and does have some vertical adjustment. May be too gritty, and look at those lovely trashcans.

---

This is another neutral shot, with a darker background than the other. Very studio lighting, may have too many reflections from above… would be worth trying a non-white car to check.

---

I use this location a ton… there'a a motion blur here but you don't need to. It's a bit elevated to shows off all dimension of the car without feeling too overhead. Lighting is a bit intense though, so may not work for all cars with the shadows it can create

---

There are a lot of art gallery -type of locations in the game and those tend to be the type of inside shots with neutral good lighting. A couple examples:

I'd vote for the one with the Haribo Porsche RSR. It's one of the Tokyo scenes, if I remember correctly. I've uses it before and find that it's a very versatile location.

Been looking through my gallery and even though there are a lot of cool places, my only suggestion for this purpose remains the Nishi-izu skyline - Shizuoka Japan location.
For me perfect lighting and the possibility to position your car in a way that you can clearly see the hood/side pods on prototypes.

Never fails to deliver:
full

full

full

full

full

full

So yeah, my proposal for the poll would be this scape. Front and rear shots work very well.

Back