OMG How Fun is the new Honda RA272 '65!

• Thread starter BobDx123
  • 57 comments
Funny enough the Eagle and Ferrari were my goto cars in GPL :D I can still remember trying to take one of the kinks flat out at about 204mph at the old Spa-Francochamps , sometimes I even managed to make it as well :D
Same! Yeah GPL was a special game, I don't know if that dev studio is even still around, but I'd love a modern GPL on the PS5. But I'll take what I can get with the Honda. :D

Yeah, just a little bit of downforce, like 20/20 or 50/50 (kind of like the Shelby Daytona) would make a huge difference.

I think I've got it fairly sorted out:

Set ballast to 100 (close to a true 50:50) I find these old cars with no downforce like a balanced tune to avoid the "pendulum" braking, etc.

Suspension:
98 100
7 7
28 28
42 42
2.30 2.30
2.0 2.0
\/0.20 /\0.20

LSD: 25/45/22

Transmission Gearing: Set Top speed to 340 (standard, I believe) I set the gearing in intervals of .005 to make it easier to read.

1) 3.785
2) 2.765
3) 2.160
4) 1.755
5) 1.480
6) 1.300

Final Gear set to 3.075 for Sarthe. It's a little stiff, but is much more stable. Takes a couple laps to get used to, and definitely trail-brake into curved brake-zones (like the end of the Mulsanne at Sarthe, etc) as it'll re-stabilize it if it starts to get loose. Use the recommended gear when cornering (might be a problem with my gear ratios; I haven't fine-tuned yet)

I was able to put up a 4:02 on a PS4 controller (haven't tried it on G29/PS5 yet) in TT, which is pretty good for an old F1 with no downforce on a controller (for me at least, lol)

Hope this helps someone.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is with Race Hards and High RPM Turbo. Brake bias is neutral to save tires, but I tried it at both +1 and -1 and still seemed fine. Kind of prefer it towards the back. Should be about 667PP, so plenty of room to add Mediums or Softs if one so chooses. And yeah, I don't like expoiting the ride-height for stability, but when we aren't given any downforce it just makes sense given it's so much more stable.
I'm looking forward to your final tune. You worked some magic with your 917k tune. Thanks.

Yeah, just a little bit of downforce, like 20/20 or 50/50 (kind of like the Shelby Daytona) would make a huge difference.

And yeah, I don't like expoiting the ride-height for stability, but when we aren't given any downforce it just makes sense given it's so much more stable.
You want PD to give downforce to a car that didn't have any?

Same! Yeah GPL was a special game, I don't know if that dev studio is even still around, but I'd love a modern GPL on the PS5. But I'll take what I can get with the Honda. :D
GPL was made by Dave Kaemmer/Papyrus and, in a roundabout way, became iRacing.

Papyrus Design morphed (via a Sierra Online buyout) in to iRacing! A lot of the core staff from GPL and the early 2000s NASCAR games, including David Kaemmer, now work there.

Back in Grand Prix Legends (PC Sim) these cars did a bit over 200mph on the fastest tracks, with their original 450 ish BHP :)

GPL was the 1967 season, with 3.0L engines. This was a 1966 car with a 1.5L engine.

Yup, it was, not sure the 1.5l cars had 450hp either, I was indeed referring to the 67 season cars with the larger engine.
The 228hp the car as originally in the game should be a good estimate for the real thing in 1965. Although some reports point to that figures (peak 230hp @ 11500rpm) for the 1964 version of the engine, saying that the final, end of '65 version would be a little beefed up, because they had developments almost race to race basis.

You want PD to give downforce to a car that didn't have any?

GPL was made by Dave Kaemmer/Papyrus and, in a roundabout way, became iRacing.
Ideally, no. I want them to fix the physics that destroy cars that cannot have downforce applied, making them behave quite unrealistically. DB3S, D-Type, C1 Proto, Plymouth Ghia being great examples. The DB3s used to be one of my quickest cars around Sarthe pre-1.23, being a sub-4min car. Now when I can manage to get it around the track it's like 4:25, and it looks/feels awful while doing it. So I want them to fix the "exogenous downforce as a band-aid" issue in the physics.

If they cannot/will not, sure, give all the cars ability to have downforce if it means they are functional (and btw, ALL cars produce some level of downforce balanced against the amount of lift they may possibly produce. It might not be substantial, but it's there. The higher the speed/acceleration, the greater the force. Well, a literal rectangle on wheels might not produce any, so I shouldn't use an absolute)

@OldandSlow I did post pretty much this setup on that thread I add my tunes to, but I've since found some problems that can be worked out without inducing the "pendulum" (I hope). It also doesn't do well in drafting. The dirty air makes it a little wonky, so I'll be fine-tuning and posting it in the next day or two over there. Glad you like the 917k; that was the car the taught me how to overcome some of these wonky physics settings present since 1.23. Keep thinking I need to update it but if I do I'll leave the original up, at least until the physics are fixed (If...), at which point I'll be able to have a crack at properly tuning it.

Last edited:
racing it on wtc700 le mans with mid range turbo in psvr2 really gives you a sensation of speed and is great fun but you gotta be a bit conservative on the throttle when taking corners as it has 0 downforce however a bit of camper angle helps with that :D but I do not understand that PP system at all but hey as long as I can cheese it in this honda no complaints xD

Raced it on WTC800 Sardegna today. On RH and FM3 I didn't need to stop. Got the car suspension set stiff as can, anti roll front 9, rear 10. Ride height front 66, rear 60. Camber front 1.6, rear 1.2. TC1 and BB +2. Have to check toe later, but zi think I have it set on front 1.2 and rear 0.2.
This setup gives me a nice sharp front end and a very good controllable rear end.
Won the race by 5 seconds, because I didn't need to pit. Although the race took 1.5 minutes longer than usual, it's more fun racing the RA272 than racing my Lexus SC430, which wins by a landslide.
Gonna fiddle with the gearing later, maybe. This car is so much fun!

Couple of things I'd like to say:
  • The car becomes so much fun when adding ballast to the front. It makes up for the no downforce factor at the front.
  • Love the cockpit view. It's so cool that the driver in the cockpit has only 1 hand on the steering wheel whereas the other is on the gear to upshift or downshift. Really loved this bit.
  • Also love the rear view mirror details where PD has worked hard on.

Attachments

• 20230225_113737.jpg
    20230225_113737.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 16
Not very fun in my opinion. The Carrera RS is the star of the update.
It was a 3-star update really...

The tuned up version(with racing tires and all...) of the Citroen DS performes really well too...
It still feels very stable and mor like a limousine tha a race car, bit it is really quick and stable...

One intresting thing i discovered while tuning: the PP drops 20 poins when applying the racing intercooler(ist that the correct word in english ?)...don't know if this is a bug or the cars becomes to uncontrollable with too much power.
I tuned it up to sharp under 600PP(with the turbo but without that racing intercooler) and i did really well in Grand Valley and the Nordschleife(8:05min lap without even trying hard)

Back to topic: did 2 tries with the Honda in the Sarthe WTC700 so far, had heavy rain in both...and easy wins, but still feels "wrong" to me, because I just use Group4(rarely) or racing-coustomized road cars(most of the time) there and never cars from "higher" categories...and yes, the Honda offers a lot of fun and excitement!

Honda on GVH is super. Tip: equip her with sport softs to bring her under 600 pp. Extra visual realism with period profile on tires (no slicks yet!) and less grip for that 60s slippery no downforce feel. Perfect learning experience for Jacky Stewarts advice: drive smoothly.

Last edited:
Honda on GVH is super. Tip: equip her with sport softs to bring her under 600 pp. Extra visual realism with period profile on tires (no slicks yet!) and less grip for that 60s slippery no downforce feel. Perfect learning experience for Jacky Stewarts advice: drive smoothly.
The racing tyres it comes with are not slicks.

Different series obviously but I think it pairs well against the A220 race car. Same era styling cues and general scale.

Personally think it should be raced as it was from the factory with perhaps small realistic improvements as the 'season' went on.

Last edited:
Personally think it should be raced as it was from the factory with perhaps small realistic improvements as the 'season' went on.
I agree here. A small amount of softened rear suspension and 85 ride height on the rear seems to help when paired with lowered braking sensitivity.

I've been driving this car from cockpit view most of the time and my only gripe with this car is the bolted on extra windshield. The middle bolt is right in my line of view and I love to have a super clear view, no obstacles.
Sadly, it is the best view to drive this car in, imo.

Also, I've been using the slicks option since yesterday. Could be all in my head, but I have the feeling they are more grippy than the normal grooved tyres, making it even more planted. But, I could be imagining it...

I've been driving this car from cockpit view most of the time and my only gripe with this car is the bolted on extra windshield. The middle bolt is right in my line of view and I love to have a super clear view, no obstacles.
Sadly, it is the best view to drive this car in, imo.
Just think of it this way - for the Men (yes, capitalization is intentional) who drove these cars back in the day, a bolt in the windscreen was probably the least of their worries.

Back