Poor matching

The games matchmaking process is to match by SR first, and then Diver Rating. So the pole sitter in your race should be of a similar driver rating to you.

So how about this. Do the race, save the replay, watch the replay from the pole sitters view and learn where you are losing time so YOU can do better.

Sounds like the ramblings of a D/C level player.

Ah wait, this is the guy that makes threads every day instead of dropping into general.

Nevermind.

On topic though, only fast players can do from the back wins. Unless your A+S then you'd definitely struggle.

Lots of things in GT need improving. Including matchmaking. We can but hope.

Last edited:
Some of the best races I've had have been against DR A+ racers, and I'm DR B.

Those races are challenges. Those racers will teach you better racing techniques. Those racers will make you work to compete with them. Those races make this game something you have to learn to be better at.

If I only got matched against DR B, racers near my own skill level, all I'd see is people that make the same mistakes that I do, that clock the same times that I do. I don't want that. I want to learn and be challenged.

Hopefully, if rolling starts are fixed now, everyone will have a chance to get up to the front of the pack. Just like real racing.

It's because there aren't enough players to fill the lobbies with appropriate ranks and it's only getting worse. There's not much point in trying your hardest and stressing out because no matter how good you are you'll be matched with low skill dirty drivers anyways. I would much rather race with a few similarly skilled racers than a lobby being filled out with C/D drivers. I think at least once you are SR S you should only race SR S drivers. Or once you reach A+ DR it's a special lobby for only A+/S drivers.

I love it, matched into a daily race b lobby where the pole sitter qualified 5 seconds per lap quicker than me….. so my chances of winning from the back are zero. Surely matching should try and put 16 equally skilled or of a similar time into the race
Even if you're in a race with 15 other clones of yourself, your chance of winning is 6.25%. Hardly amazing, you're only gonna win 1 race in 16 on average.

Unless you're an alien fighting for world records, it's not really about winning. It's about doing as well as you can. If that means getting 7th as a D-driver in a room full of A-drivers, so be it. Recalibrate what you think success is and you'll be fine. As long as you only accept winning as the measure of doing well you'll be perpetually annoyed.

Sounds like the ramblings of a D/C level player.

Ah wait, this is the guy that makes threads every day instead of dropping into general.

Nevermind.

On topic though, only fast players can do from the back wins. Unless your A+S then you'd definitely struggle.

Lots of things in GT need improving. Including matchmaking. We can but hope.
I don’t qualify well enough, my average overtakes are 7 per race, last but one race went from 14th to 4th, last daily race c went from 6th to 3rd but the 2 leaders finished 30 seconds ahead of me - averaging 2 seconds per lap faster than anyone else.

surely matching should be to try and bring the racing closer, drivers of similar levels? Else what’s the point?

I’m B B - will get back to B S but not fussed anymore If honest, the grind to get there doesn’t give you anything back, the lobbies are not any cleaner than the B lobbies I’m in now but you know in those lobbies -people will drive into you to get ahead so you drive accordingly

if you don’t like the thread then ignore it, surely a forum is a place to post conversation starters be it good bad or ugly conversation - maybe You’ve read some of my other threads maybe not. but again what’s the point of a forum if no one contributes to it.

Even if you're in a race with 15 other clones of yourself, your chance of winning is 6.25%. Hardly amazing, you're only gonna win 1 race in 16 on average.

Unless you're an alien fighting for world records, it's not really about winning. It's about doing as well as you can. If that means getting 7th as a D-driver in a room full of A-drivers, so be it. Recalibrate what you think success is and you'll be fine. As long as you only accept winning as the measure of doing well you'll be perpetually annoyed.
but is not the point of matching to have 16 drivers of similar skill and ability where anyone can win if they drive well enough - I don’t expect to win any races as I’m an average driver at best but is it wrong to expect the lobby I’m matched into will have players of similar skill, of course some quicker some slower but when you see lobbies with spreads of 4 and 5 seconds front to back then whose that good for?

I don’t qualify well enough, my average overtakes are 7 per race, last but one race went from 14th to 4th, last daily race c went from 6th to 3rd but the 2 leaders finished 30 seconds ahead of me - averaging 2 seconds per lap faster than anyone else.

surely matching should be to try and bring the racing closer, drivers of similar levels? Else what’s the point?

I’m B B - will get back to B S but not fussed anymore If honest, the grind to get there doesn’t give you anything back, the lobbies are not any cleaner than the B lobbies I’m in now but you know in those lobbies -people will drive into you to get ahead so you drive accordingly

if you don’t like the thread then ignore it, surely a forum is a place to post conversation starters be it good bad or ugly conversation - maybe You’ve read some of my other threads maybe not. but again what’s the point of a forum if no one contributes to it.

but is not the point of matching to have 16 drivers of similar skill and ability where anyone can win if they drive well enough - I don’t expect to win any races as I’m an average driver at best but is it wrong to expect the lobby I’m matched into will have players of similar skill, of course some quicker some slower but when you see lobbies with spreads of 4 and 5 seconds front to back then whose that good for?
I seriously don't understand any of this. You're asking why the game doesn't match you with people of a similar ranking to you? It does. You're asking why the game doesn't do something that it does do.

Any issues are coming from a large range of skill is only because there's not enough people playing.

2 seconds a lap is pretty close. Given that there was also people behind you that were probably 2 or 3 seconds a lap slower than you I'm not sure what else you want.
Look, ideally you'd have races with everyone within a couple of seconds of each other. Having too great a range of speeds is just unsafe for starters, and it also leads to fairly dull races as the field just spreads out. But if everyone is all grouped up too close it's also pretty bad. Most tracks get pretty unpleasant if there's a group of more than three or four cars fighting for the same bit of track.

So really, as long as there's at least two or three other drivers of roughly your pace, you're going to get someone to battle with. If some people drive off into the distance quickly, so what? You're not racing them. There's no reason to get butthurt just because you happened to be dropped into the same server with someone who is a lot better than you.

To take a real world example, look at the last F1 race in Mexico. In qualifying the Max Verstappen put in a 1:17.775 on pole. Nick Latifi, bless his cotton socks, put in a 1:21.167 in last. That's 3.5 seconds per lap from some of the best drivers in the world in highly regulated machinery. Of course a bunch of random casual drivers on the internet is going to have more variance than that. In the actual race Latifi finished two laps down, which is probably two or three minutes behind the winner.

These sorts of gaps are not completely ideal, but they're not unreasonable when you look at how real life racing works at pretty much any level. The game matches with the players that are online, and (for various reasons) it seems like there's not that many people playing. What do you want the game to do? Create more players out of thin air? If there's only 16 people online at any given time the game has no choice but to stick them all in a lobby. There isn't some magic pool of players of exactly your skill level that the game is withholding from you. What you're getting is about as good as it's gonna get.

You can maybe pick the times you play to be when there's the most people online, but it's probably not going to make a massive difference. You can complain about this if you want, but there's really not a solution here other than you learning not to tunnel vision on winning and comparing yourself to the winners. Nick Latifi isn't winning any races and he isn't expected to. I would imagine his team considers it a great success if he manages to score a point. And a minor success if he manages to get through the weekend without putting his car in the wall. :rolleyes:

My Sport mode matching is usually as follows:

I am currently a C/S and usually toggle between being C/S and B/S. I log in and enter race B or C depending on which one I am interested in for the week. I’ll be the only C/S driver out of 16 people. The 15 other players are B/C, B/B, or B/A. It’s fine as I can usually compete okay, but I find these to be the dirtiest races and more than half the time my race is ruined by someone taking me out.

The very next race I’ll be paired up with all C/S players and the race is typically pleasant and competitive.

Any time I do 3 or more races it will be a mix of B and C level drivers.

Anyone else have the same pairing characteristics?

Back