RCKakashi14's GT7 Fanfiction: Arc 13; Act 1 - The Transition

Page 13 - New Shining Stars

Kevin is placed in the Intensive Care Unit, after doctors managed to stabilize his condition. The young German racer is still in a vegetative state, while Gerhard, Abel and Mila are anxiously awaiting for him to awaken, even if it's only a fiddle or twitch of his fingers.

And to break that eerie moment of silence, Mila approaches Gerhard.

"I heard you exclaimed that he is your son. Are you... Gerhard Kern?" Mila asked.

"So you heard, Mila. Yes I am." Gerhard replied.

"All this time, you are guiding him?" she added.

"Yes. It was the only way I know how to raise him while protecting him from Maximilian." he replied.

"And now, he's like... knocking on death's door. Are you still going to hide it from him?" she asked, with her eyes about to burst tears.

"I have done a lot of bad things in life, and this is... the worst. I shall regret this forever." Gerhard replied.

"Kevin lost his mother and had no aim in life until he found out what happened to her. All of this... was his product of revenge. You didn't guide him enough." Mila said, then storming out to the hospital corridor.

She leans on the wall, and tears start flowing. She then covers her face. Moments later, Dave, and the Kanonji twins make a hasty walk to Kevin's room.

Takuma sees Mila's moment of despair. He would then hug her. She composes herself afterwards.

"Mila, how is he?" Takuma asked.

"He still hasn't awakened. The doctor told us that... this might... be his last." Mila said.

"I'm sorry..." Takuma said.

Takuma then gets inside, along with the others. He sees Gerhard standing still looking at his son, while Abel merely looks out by the window.

"Mr. Kern?" Takuma said.

Gerhard turns back and looks at the others.

"I can't believe this. I shouldn't have let this happen. My timing wasn't right... I could have told him the truth much sooner." Gerhard said.

Takuma glances at Kevin. Then all of a sudden, he sees Kevin's right hand twitching.

"Kevin?" Takuma said.

Gerhard turns back to look and gets closer. Kevin's eyes opened, and he looks at Gerhard.

"Mister... Gottlieb..." Kevin said in a weak tone.

"Kevin.." Gerhard said, then he turns to look at everyone in the room. He and Mila then look at each other.

This is the golden, yet somber opportunity for Gerhard to unveil himself to his son.

"Kevin... your father... is here. It's me. Gerhard Kern." Gerhard said.

Tears roll down from Kevin as well, having finally known and realized the person guiding him was his father all those years.

"You...? For... real?" Kevin asked.

"Yes... yes. I am sorry for lying... and putting you on such a huge predicament. It's all my fault." Gerhard said.

"All this time..." Kevin said, and he shows a big smile.

"I am sorry, Kevin. I am really... really sorry. I am a terrible father. I wasn't able to save your mother, either. How I wish I could turn back time." Gerhard said, and then he holds Kevin's hand.

"No... it's my fault for being so reckless. You did everything for me. I... love... you... father." Kevin said.

And then Kevin breathes out his last sigh...

"I'll say hi to mother for you..." Kevin utters his final words, and the monitor shows a flat line. Abel quickly rushes out to call the nurses and doctors. They rush into Kevin's side and attempt to revive him with a defibrillator.

But to no avail. The doctor would look at his watch.

"Time of death... 5:05 pm." the doctor said.

Mila cries on Kevin's right side, while Gerhard stands up, and punches the wall repeatedly along with an endless rush of tears. He would then stop, and weep.

Takuma and Takanori look at each other with long faces, while Dave can only look up the ceiling, trying to fight his tears, sniffling his nose.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Time: 4 pm, two days later

News of Kevin's passing quickly spread through various form of media. The gaming community spent moments of silence for their fallen friend who gave them inspiration. The cosplaying community would then post various tributes of Kevin in different platforms.

While Gerhard requested for the burial to be private, hordes of fans would then deposit flowers and wreaths. A big flower wreath from Red Bull was also seen, as a tribute to Kevin's contributions to the X Program.

Kevin is buried next to his mother, with a bright ceramic epitaph standing on the ground.

Czarina attends as well, and the first she approaches is none other than Gerhard.

"Condolonces... Mr... Gott-- I mean Kern." she said.

"Thank you. I appreciate your presence." Gerhard said.

"I have extended an olive branch to your son before he passed. I promised him that I will put my father to justice. I won't stop." Czarina said.

"How selfless. I can't believe I am hearing this from you." Gerhard said.

"Then I found out... you're alive after all." Czarina said.

"I never heard from your father ever since he escaped from the Azores. I was the one who provided the breadcrumbs to you." Gerhard replied.

"I'll make it up to you. My search shall not cease. I will update you. This is the least I can do for you both." Czarina said.

"Thank you. You are one daughter I never had. This must be tough for you, considering how much you love him." Gerhard said.

"This will end. Soon." Czarina said with conviction, clenching her right fist.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Time: 3 pm, one week later

Life must go on, one said. Loss can be really difficult to get over with, especially when it involves everyone around you.

Under Gerhard's orders, Neo resumes their activities, preparing for the 4th round. They have to qualify after all.

In the pit lane, Alphonse heads over to Neo's pit garage, carrying a small card.

"Excuse me... is Mr. Kern over there?" Alphonse asked.

Gerhard sees the young man and approaches him.

"Oh, you must be Mr. Alphonse Blanchard." Gerhard said.

"I offer my sincerest condolences. Here's something for you..." Alphonse said as he hands over the card. Gerhard flips it open, and it contains a message:

"I have lost a friend, a rival, and a brother. We will meet once again, Kevin Kern."

And attached is another small card, showing a Discord Nitro avatar that he only came up with a quick photo editing.

"The last time we played, I lost against your son. I gave a one-year worth of Discord Nitro subscription as part of the deal. But now..." Alphonse said.

"Thank you, young man. I think Kevin would appreciate it more if you give your all. Do not hold back. Do not be affected." Gerhard said, then he pats on Alphonse's shoulder.

Neo then begins the qualifying session with a different livery on the AMG.

Trial Mountain Circuit_.jpeg

The matte black is a clear sign of mourning, but Dave at the helm clearly does not let emotions get the better of him.

Trial Mountain Circuit__1.jpeg

"Everyone in Neo feels down, obviously." Dave remarked.

Trial Mountain Circuit__2.jpeg

"No matter what, we all have to move on. Kevin wouldn't want to see long faces." he added.

Trial Mountain Circuit__3.jpeg

Trial Mountain Circuit__4.jpeg

Alphonse honors Gerhard's request.

"Kevin entrusted me his dreams. I shall not fail." Alphonse thought.

Trial Mountain Circuit__5.jpeg

Meanwhile, Giacomo enjoys the upgrades the Giulia received after a disappointing result in Bathurst.

Trial Mountain Circuit__6.jpeg

"A new flat floor... makes a huge difference here." Giacomo remarked.

Trial Mountain Circuit__7.jpeg

"Can't lose against those Pianizzis..." Giacomo added.

Trial Mountain Circuit__8.jpeg

Seems like he has some issues with the Pianizzi siblings. Whatever it is, the Giulia will definitely put up a better fight.

The next day, the race begins.

Trial Mountain Circuit__9.jpeg

Neo is placed 4th on qualifying. Gerhard is actually impressed with the improvements of skill seen by the three drivers ahead.

"It seems that we are ushering in the new era. Alphonse... Giacomo... and Charlie. I can sense those three will change the landscape of racing." Gerhard said.

"Kevin... don't you worry. We will do the rest. We will finish this fight. Those three rising stars... better watch them." he added.

Trial Mountain Circuit__10.jpeg

End of Page 13

Page 14 - Leading The Charge

The 4th round commences at the Trial Mountain Circuit. The circuit is nestled within the mountains of the Washington State. However, it had been in steady decline in the 90s and 2000s until a group of interested wealthy car enthusiasts decide to breathe life into the circuit once more. Eventually, the FIA poured their resources into the track as well, and has been a host of recent races in the Pacific Northwest region of the USA.

Music: Blue Owl (Remastered) - Art of Trance

Trial Mountain Circuit__11.jpeg

Giacomo qualifies in the top ranks, taking advantage of the Giulia's upgrades.

"I cannot fall once again. Let me shine too. You aren't the only rookies here." Giacomo said.

Trial Mountain Circuit__12.jpeg

Even Charlie is surprised by the Giulia's pace.

"Woah... that was one hell of an upgrade. But hey, at least I am keeping that little French guy at bay." Charlie remarked.

Trial Mountain Circuit__13.jpeg

Trial Mountain Circuit__14.jpeg

"Looks like I'm going to have a fun run. Heh. Bring it on." Dave said with a grin, fully welcoming the challenge.

Trial Mountain Circuit__15.jpeg

"ANDIAMO!" Giacomo exclaimed over the radio. A war cry of sorts. What's going on with him?

Trial Mountain Circuit__16.jpeg

Alphonse snatches back the 2nd position, but clearly the Giulia proves to be a rocket in the grid.

Trial Mountain Circuit__17.jpeg

"Those three are really going at it. Gerhard made a remark about them being promising." Dave thought.

Trial Mountain Circuit__18.jpeg

Trial Mountain Circuit__19.jpeg

As the battle rages on, the pit crews could not take their eyes off the telemetry screens. Czarina suddenly receives a phone call. She heads at the paddock to answer it privately.

"Hello?" Czarina said.

It was none other than Alexei Bourdovsky, who has been searching for Maximilian and leading the Interpol's search as part of the plea deal that will reduce his sentence.

"You will really be excited once you hear this: We have finally tracked down your father. He's last seen in a port in Hamburg according to surveillance, no less. Ports and airports throughout the continent are already given notice. Better make haste..." Alexei said with a giggle.

Wasting no time, Czarina ends the call with thanks and then instructs the pit crew to take charge of communications. She then proceeds to Neo's pit garage, reaching for Gerhard.

She approaches him, and taps on his shoulder. Gerhard removes the headset.

"We found him. He's in Europe. Hamburg, Germany." Czarina said.

Gerhard's fist clench.

"Let's go. I will deal with him. There is one thing I will do to him." Gerhard said.

Gerhard instructs Takanori to take over the communications.

"Takanori-san, please take charge of communicating with Dave. This is an emergency, I must leave." Gerhard said.

"Osu! I'll be on it." Takanori said with a smile.

Czarina and Gerhard hastily depart the track's premises. A car picks them up and heads off straight to the airport where her private jet awaits.

End of Page 14

Page 15 - The Red Helmet

The long flight to Europe didn't tire Gerhard at all. He is more than determined to settle things once and for all. Upon arriving in Germany, they are approached by Alexei, who shows a grin upon seeing Gerhard.

"Well, well, well... look who came out and tell the world." Alexei said.

"Hmph! Save the banter for later. Where is Maximilian?" Gerhard asked.

"Don't worry... Germany has locked him down. He's all yours. Hehe. But he's not in Hamburg." Alexei replied.

"Then we'd better get moving." Czarina said.

Czarina and Gerhard head over to Stuttgart, while Alexei sets off to meet with the authorities once more. They proceed to Gerhard's office building. Upon getting in, he takes Kevin's red helmet on his desk and then the pair proceeds next to the parking lot.

The two get in his RUF CTR3, repainted in Gulf Blue. After strapping in, Gerhard places the helmet on Czarina's lap.

"Hold it for me. This is significant." Gerhard said, and then he starts up the supercar and hastily exit the premises.

National Stadium_.jpeg

Czarina once again calls Alexei.

"Alexei, how's tracking?" she asked.

"He's in a small town just nearby where you are. I am actually looking at him right now... right across the cafe... in an abandoned house, he peeks out with his shiny sunglasses and a cap." Alexei replied.

She receives the coordinates via the SMS, and copies them to her navigation app. The app would then show the directions.

"Okay, head straight." she said.

Gerhard buries the accelerator down. Czarina looks at Kevin's helmet. It's shiny clean, as Gerhard made it a habit to wipe it everyday since his son died.

"Why did you bring this?" Czarina asked.

Nachtsheim_.jpeg

"I shall fulfill Kevin's wish." Gerhard replied, as he vigorously pulls the sequential gear shift to change up a gear.

Remembering the words Kevin said back in his tell-all, she finally realizes what he plans to do.

"Forgive me, for what I am about to do your father. All this pent up rage must be unleashed. It's been decades." Gerhard said.

Czarina's eyes widened. But then she settles immediately and breathes out a sigh.

"I see..." Czarina said.

"Do not worry, he will face justice. Two wrongs do not make a right." Gerhard added.

After half an hour, they arrived at the coordinates provided by Alexei. Alexei makes a signal, instructing them to come over to his side so as to avoid being detected.

"You made it. There. Right in front of you. A brick house is where he hides." Alexei said.

However, just as they are about to take the first step, they see Maximilian getting out, making a run for it. Gerhard leads the chase.

"Shoot!" Czarina said, as she is struggling to keep up.

Maximilian stops an unsuspecting green Lamborghini Urus at gunpoint. The driver, fearing for his life, exits the car and Maximilian takes the helm.

Cochem_.jpeg

"He stole a car?!" Czarina exclaimed. The three decided to part ways, with Gerhard and Czarina returning to the RUF. Alexei alerts the authorities as well.

A chase ensues in the small town, with bystanders panicking and running for safety.

Cochem__1.jpeg

Czarina couldn't believe what she's seeing - her father sank at his lowest.

"This is ridiculous." Czarina said.

Monreal_.jpeg

"He's got nothing to lose, that's what." Gerhard replied.

The chase leads them out of the town. Polizei and a helicopter also follow suit.

Cochem__2.jpeg

Two brightly colored cars quickly grab the attention of the INTERPOL who are eager to pin down Maximilian. Alexei asks for assistance as he is in the chopper.

"He stole a green Lamborghini Urus. Target is a green Urus." Alexei said.

Outskirts of Stuttgart_.jpeg

Lichtenstein Village_.jpeg

The CTR3 easily keeps up, and upon approaching the next bend...

Müllenbach_.jpeg

...Gerhard performs a drift, using the car's body to block the Lamborghini.

Müllenbach__1.jpeg

Maximilian applies the brakes. Having no choice, he runs out to the grassy field. Gerhard unstraps himself and gets the helmet from Czarina's lap. She then follows suit.

Gerhard's fitness enables him to sprint faster and gain ground towards Maximilian. Before he could pull out his gun from his pocket, Gerhard finally manages to tackle Maximilian down to the ground.

And now... Gerhard's rage begins. He pummels Maximilian's face with punches left and right.

Gerhard pauses and ventilates.

"Hah... hah... this field... is where everything began. And this is also where everything shall end. Poetic, isn't it?" Gerhard asks with a grin, followed by another punch on Maximilian's nose.

Gerhard reminisces everything that happened to him, while still pinning Maximilian down.

20191103175800-jpg.864114

20200329075833-jpg.903739

20200412073950-jpg.909418

20200412073956-jpg.909419

And as a coup de grace, he hurls Kevin's helmet, and smacks it on Maximilian's eyes. The impact caused the visor to crack.

Czarina would then yell.

"STOP! THAT'S ENOUGH!" she exclaimed, with tears gushing out of her eyes.

Gerhard looks at her, but then he returns his attention to the bloodied Maximilian.

"Be thankful... you still have someone who loves you. And I... believe in change." Gerhard said. Then he stands up, picking up the damaged red helmet and looking at it.

"It's all over, Kevin. You can finally rest." Gerhard said.

Then he hugs the helmet, having a solemn moment with tears flowing; while the helicopter and the police vehicles finally arrive at the scene.

Maximilian is brought up, then his hands were placed in handcuffs. Czarina can only look at her father being led to the police car. The father and daughter would briefly stare at each other.

End of Page 15

Last edited:
Page 16 - Rainy Day

Time: 10 am, two days later

Overcast skies are prevailing the atmosphere. People outside are carrying umbrellas, just in case the showers make themselves known.

And just in a large building, specifically the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile headquarters located in the French capital, where matters involving motorsport and automotive world in general are being discussed.

Gerhard Kern walks along the main hallway, surrounded by reporters eager to find out his identity and his involvement in bringing down Maximilian Marsh to justice. He keeps his silence, and then the security leads him to the escalators, blocking the reporters.

He re-aligns his necktie, and heads over to the president's office, now occupied by none other than the new chief, Noel Chevalier. Gerhard smiles and shakes hands with the French executive. The two men sit across each other.

"Good day, Mr.... Kern. Wow, I am still in awe. To think I used to commemorate you. Never knew you were here all along, pulling the strings." Noel said, pouring carbonated water on their glasses.

Noel has this slicked back, brown hair with a neatly trimmed full face beard. At 45 years of age, he is one of the youngest to have led the prestigious organization.

"I'm a fighter. Simple as that. And fighters must come up with the best strategies on hand, not just brute force." Gerhard replied.

"You played very well. Bravo!" Noel exclaimed as he applauds, followed by the two men giggling.

"And of course, I offer you my sincerest condolences. Kevin was such a fine, yet bold young man who wasn't afraid to shake the ground." Noel said.

"I guided him with the best I could. But of course it was too late when he found who I truly am." Gerhard said.

"In my teenage years, I followed your every race, even skipping school to see you even just on the bleachers. That same boldness from Kevin reminded me of you." Noel said.

Gerhard smirked. But now on to a more serious matter...

"Now, on to the real business. We are cleaning up this organization, mon ami. People connected to Maximilian have been questioned, though some merely disappeared. Now that he's behind bars, my next job is to return the glory this organization once had. You know how tainted it got under his watch." Noel explained.

"Of course. Since I was his most trusted confidant, I got hold of everything that he did, and all of those are currently in INTERPOL. They will have a field day with those." Gerhard said.

"And yet your hands remained clean. What a marvel." Noel commented.

"The best revenge on a dirty player, I say." Gerhard said.

"Echec et mat (Checkmate)." Noel said.

"I can offer my assistance in regards to new racing regulations and rules, and for the well-being of race car drivers as well. Now that I am Team Neo's director, I get direct insight of the action, from the paddock to the race track." Gerhard said.

"Oh magnifique! I welcome that." Noel remarked.

"But of course, I refuse any seat from this organization. I merely want to play fair. Now, with that out of the way, I will now entrust you the future of racing." Gerhard said.

"You can count on me. I will not fail you, and your son." Noel replied.

"Very well. But, should there be anything that betrays your convictions, I will be the first person to call you out. Understand?" Gerhard said.

"It will be a tall order, but I can manage." Noel said.

Their brief meeting concludes. The two men smile and shake their hands. The FIA opens a new chapter. Gerhard exits the office, and then a female secretary enters, handing over a white envelope to Noel.

"Sir, this is for you." the secretary said.

"To whom did it come from?" Noel asked.

"This was just dropped off in the reception area by an unknown man. He merely asked it to be delivered to you." she replied.

Noel tears open the envelope. Inside is a piece of paper that reads:

"Il n'y pas d'échappatoire."
(There is no escape)

Noel crumples the paper into a ball and throws it in the bin.

"Merely garbage. You may go now." Noel said.

Time: 10 am, three days later

The showers persist the whole week, and there is a threat of qualifying being cancelled.

Nigel summons the drivers to the conference room, in preparation for the final round.

"Good morning, everyone. As with the current weather conditions, the qualifying has a high probability of being cancelled. But the race shall continue regardless. The FIA has decided to use the 4th round's results to determine the grid positions." Nigel said.

"So that means, we start at 4th." Dave said.

"Correct." Nigel replied.

"And as for the current standings, we are placed 2nd in the championship, just behind Blue Streak. The French team garnered a total of 38 points, while we, Team Neo, have 26 points. Third place belongs to Mistral Motorsport of Italy, just 1 point shy at 25." Nigel explained.

"That Giulia suddenly became a rocket in the 4th round. Well, it did prevail in the 1st round against the Veyron. Man, what a competition." Dave remarked.

"Where's Mr. Kern?" Takanori asked.

"Oh. He's currently at the Nordschleife... capturing footage using the car." Nigel replied.

Nürburgring Nordschleife_.jpeg

Nürburgring Nordschleife__1.jpeg

"What a madman. Nurburgring on wet is basically a death sentence. I haven't even driven there yet." Dave said.

Nürburgring Nordschleife__2.jpeg

"No wonder there was one set of Intermediates taken out." Takuma said.

Nürburgring Nordschleife__3.jpeg

"The 5th round shall take place at the full Nurburgring track, using the 24 Hour layout. The circuit part is actually safe, with plenty of run off areas mandated by FIA since Formula 1 cars race there. The Nordschleife, on the other hand..." Nigel said.

Nürburgring Nordschleife__4.jpeg

Nürburgring Nordschleife__5.jpeg

"It's a death trap. I'm even surprised a 24 Hour race commences there. rain or shine." Dave said.

"Well, that's what tradition dictates. But there were instances that event got delayed due to poor visibility. However, if current conditions are to be relied upon, the visibility is tolerable." Nigel explained.

Nürburgring Nordschleife__6.jpeg

"Fortunately, we have a sim. Actually, it's Kevin's sim..." Takuma said.

"We can use that to familiarize yourselves." Nigel said.

"Yeah, but, a video game is completely different from the real experience." Dave said.

"This is a common practice even among Formula 1 teams and drivers to familiarize themselves on the track at the comfort of their homes. With Mr. Kern's track footage, it will prove to be valuable for us." Nigel said.

"And use the sim to gauge yourself, Dave." Takuma said.

"Man, I am still amazed at this place. This was only a dream when I was trying to build my own crew. I know how much full sim rigs cost, and that already set me back." Dave said.

"Now, you can play all night. I miss Kevin's endurance sessions on Twitch." Takanori said.

Time: 3 pm; two days later

With inclement weather conditions persisting, the committee decided that the qualifying be postponed, and the race proper shall commence. The grid positions are based from the 4th round's results, as planned.

Nürburgring 24h_.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__1.jpeg

Neo starts at 4th. Dave feels a mixture of anxiety and determination. He spent several hours on the sim practicing the track on wet conditions, even watching Gerhard's run multiple times as comparison.

The final round will consist of 8 laps. The audience cheer wildly as the light shows green. The cars set off with utmost of care even in a rolling start.

Nürburgring 24h__2.jpeg

"Those three again. Argh.. And eight laps may sound long on a track like this, but..."

Nürburgring 24h__3.jpeg

"...one wrong move, and I am dead!" Dave said.

Anxiety within Dave is in an all-time high. Who shall prevail in this dangerous final round?

End of Page 16

Page 17 - Pointers

Nürburgring 24h_.jpeg

The World Touring Car Championship shall definitely end with a bang, with the rain and the Nurburgring being the deadliest combination in the entirety of motorsports.

Just high above the audience bleachers, sheltered by an airconditioned hall overlooking the main straight of the Grand Prix track, is where Noel Chevalier stands watch.

He strokes his beard, grinning on the fact that the audience numbers have significantly increased.

"People do love entertainment.."

And that grin suddenly stopped.

"But sadly that's all there is to it." Noel said.

Nürburgring 24h__1.jpeg

Dave can only watch the Giulia defending its spot against the Veyron. But clearly the Bugatti has the advantage on the wet.

Nürburgring 24h__2.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__3.jpeg

"Four wheel drive cars are cheats. No wonder the highest level of racing events shun them. But there's no excuse..." Dave thought.

Nürburgring 24h__4.jpeg

Dave lunges at the high speed kink, narrowing the gap between him and Giacomo's Giulia.

Nürburgring 24h__5.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__6.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__7.jpeg

And now there's the tall order on catching Alphonse Blanchard.

Nürburgring 24h__8.jpeg

Dave breathes out a sigh.

Nürburgring 24h__9.jpeg

"Mr. Kern gave me pointers on how to tackle this track. And I did all of them on the sim on the same conditions." Dave thought.

Nürburgring 24h__10.jpeg

He then reminisces on Gerhard's advice.

"Take this into heart, Mr. Lempel. Your life is at stake whenever you race at the Nordschleife."

Nürburgring 24h__11.jpeg

"The last thing you'll ever be is being irrational. Especially on the wet. I know that this is your first time, and the fact that it's raining makes it even scarier."

Nürburgring 24h__12.jpeg

"Be gentle on your inputs. Forget going all out. Even your opponents will slow down there.

Nürburgring 24h__13.jpeg

However, as Dave tries to put the power down earlier in the exit, the AMG loses control, and his attempts on correction sets him off the track.

Nürburgring 24h__14.jpeg

"Crap!" Dave exclaimed.

Nürburgring 24h__15.jpeg

While he safely got out of the predicament, the gap has widened and the others caught up with him.

Nürburgring 24h__16.jpeg

"The most important thing is.... just stay alive. I want my drivers to be okay. I do not instill unnecessary pressure on everyone. I'd rather have a laughingstock than a dead driver."

Nürburgring 24h__17.jpeg

"Guess he really wanted me to calm down. I have been too eager lately." Dave thought, as he comes up with that realization upon remembering his past races.

Nürburgring 24h__18.jpeg
Nürburgring 24h__19.jpeg

Seems that the pointers paid off. Dave is even surprised he managed to keep up.

Nürburgring 24h__20.jpeg

"Got you now, kid. Well... you're 17. But still, kudos for making it this far." Dave said.

Nürburgring 24h__21.jpeg

He finally gets the top position at the mini-Karussell. But remember, this is just the first lap...

Nürburgring 24h__22.jpeg

....and anything can happen in mere moments. The straight was obviously the Veyron's greatest strength, and it easily took back the lead.

Nürburgring 24h__23.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__24.jpeg

The second lap begins, and it's back to the square one for Dave.

"All right then. Let's play again, kiddo!" Dave exclaimed.

Gerhard hears this over the radio.

"Please calm down, Mr. Lempel. Now's not the time to be brash. We are on the second lap." Gerhard said.

"Copy. But hey, the fun is about to start." Dave replied with a grin on his face.

End of Page 17

Page 18 - Andiamo

Nürburgring 24h_.jpeg

The 2nd lap begins, with the Veyron showing obvious dominance on severe weather conditions.

However, that isn't only Dave's problem.

Nürburgring 24h__1.jpeg

Giacomo Marelli also guns for the victory, in order to clinch at least to second place overall.

Nürburgring 24h__2.jpeg

Gerhard opens up the radio.

"The Giulia is right behind you." Gerhard said.

"Copy." Dave replied.

Nürburgring 24h__3.jpeg

"I've got two problems to deal with. Man, Europe is way more fun than I thought!" Dave said.

Nürburgring 24h__4.jpeg

"Thank you for such comments." Gerhard replied.

Nürburgring 24h__5.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__6.jpeg

An eager Giacomo simply won't give up on the tow.

Nürburgring 24h__7.jpeg

"I'll be on the top, I swear." Giacomo said.

Nürburgring 24h__8.jpeg

The pressure is on.

Then Giacomo slams hard on the accelerator the moment he sees the AMG slow down on that light bend.

Music: Blue Owl (Remastered) - Art of Trance

Nürburgring 24h__9.jpeg

"You're too hesitant!" Giacomo exclaimed.

Nürburgring 24h__10.jpeg

"You've got balls making that pass, dude." Dave remarked.

Nürburgring 24h__11.jpeg

Third lap. Dave can only spectate the bout the between the Italian and French racers.

Nürburgring 24h__12.jpeg

"Do Italy and France have an intense motorsports rivalry? They make awesome food, though." Dave thought.

Nürburgring 24h__13.jpeg

"ANDIAMO!!!" Giacomo yelled as finally snatches the lead.

Nürburgring 24h__14.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__15.jpeg

Gerhard looks at the weather radar. No precipitation is detected anymore.

"Dave, the rain has stopped. I suggest you box." Gerhard said.

Nürburgring 24h__16.jpeg

Dave does notice a little bit of ease on keeping the car in check.

Nürburgring 24h__17.jpeg

"Confirm. Box. Box for softs." Dave said.

"Softs? But the track still has large patches of water." Gerhard asked.

"Please trust me on this. I have a plan." Dave replied.

"Okay. Confirm box. Change to Softs." Gerhard said.

Nürburgring 24h__18.jpeg

The pit crew is now outside, with a fresh batch of Soft slick tires. However, the two opponents ahead of him chose not to pit in.

Nürburgring 24h__19.jpeg

Being a former F1 pit crew, the tires are changed in mere seconds, and then the AMG gets helpings of fuel as well.

The AMG scurries off the pit lane, with Dave tightening his grip on the steering wheel. The 4th lap commences.

"All right, time to play." Dave said.

End of Page 18

Last edited:
Page 19 - Wet & Wild

Upon seeing the AMG set off the pit lane with a new set of Soft slicks and fuel, Takanori is left wondering with Dave's decision. He approaches Gerhard.

"Mr. Kern, why did he switch to Softs? The surface is still a little wet. Normally, you'd keep the Inters."

Nürburgring 24h_.jpeg

Gerhard giggles at the inquiry.

"Heh heh. You know, it's actually a common strategy in Formula 1." Gerhard replied.

Nürburgring 24h__1.jpeg

"How? Normally we tend to switch to Intermediates once the rain stops. But why go directly to slicks?" Takanori asked.

"It depends on the road surface conditions. Plus, it is some sort of a... "gift", to be able to accurately feel the grip of each tire. Dave takes advantage of the damp track, since the temperatures are relatively cold."

Nürburgring 24h__2.jpeg

"Of course, initial drawbacks are present. For one, you can't use the full grip of the tires; and secondly, you have to avoid touching the wetter parts of the track, worse if it's part of the racing line."

"However, this means that he is CONSERVING his tires, and he can use them to the fullest once the track's surface gets drier." Gerhard explained.

Nürburgring 24h__3.jpeg

Meanwhile, Alphonse is given a breathing room, now that he's on the lead. But at the same time he can't let up.

Nürburgring 24h__4.jpeg

As time passes, more water evaporates from the track, allowing Dave to use a bit more of the tire grip.

"All right, I can see them. I'm on the right track. My plan worked." Dave thought.

Nürburgring 24h__5.jpeg

The Giulia still keeps a commanding lead. But Giacomo knows that he can't use Intermediates for long.

Nürburgring 24h__6.jpeg

And so he did...

Nürburgring 24h__7.jpeg

...along with Alphonse as well.

Nürburgring 24h__8.jpeg

"Dave, now's your chance. Giulia and Veyron have boxed in." Gerhard said.

"All right, time to turn up the heat." Dave said, as he steps harder on the accelerator.

Nürburgring 24h__9.jpeg

"You have finally gotten the lead, Dave." Gerhard said.

"Awesome! I'll take this home, guys." Dave replied.

Nürburgring 24h__10.jpeg

Charlie has also changed to Softs the same lap as Dave's. With the drying up track, he too, makes the charge at 2nd place.

However, the battle is far from over. Giacomo also opted for Soft compounds.

Nürburgring 24h__11.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__12.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__13.jpeg

Dave is surprised by the Giulia's sudden appearance from behind.

"Wow... can a Giulia be that fast? I've seen a few in the States and normally they're family runabouts." Dave wondered.

Nürburgring 24h__14.jpeg

"Come on, Pasta Boy!" Dave teased.

As if answering in kind, Giacomo charges.

Nürburgring 24h__15.jpeg

But Dave gets the inside on the hairpin.

Nürburgring 24h__16.jpeg

"Gotcha now. Hehe." Dave said.

Nürburgring 24h__17.jpeg

"Oh you want to play? I'll play, amico mio." Giacomo said with a grin.

Giacomo instills pressure on to Dave.

Nürburgring 24h__18.jpeg

In which Dave fell for it, since he got in the turn too fast which made the slick tires touch the wet kerb.

Nürburgring 24h__19.jpeg

"Shoot!" Dave exclaimed.

"Keep calm. There are still chances left." Gerhard replied.

Nürburgring 24h__20.jpeg

"Okay, dude. I guess playtime is over." Dave said.

End of Page 19

Page 20 - The Sunrise

Nürburgring 24h_.jpeg

Dave has ceased his playfulness. The Giulia once again took the lead, but there are other problems.

Nürburgring 24h__1.jpeg

Charlie Kesler is also gunning for the win. He is a few car lengths away from Dave.

Nürburgring 24h__2.jpeg

With the surface mostly dry, Dave opens up on the throttle more aggressively on the corner exits.

However...

Nürburgring 24h__3.jpeg

...his eagerness got the better of him, as the AMG once again touches the puddles on the ends, causing it to understeer.

Nürburgring 24h__4.jpeg

"Dammit!" Dave exclaimed.

Nürburgring 24h__5.jpeg

Charlie makes a safe overtake, taking the 2nd spot.

Nürburgring 24h__6.jpeg

"I guess I've teased them enough." Dave said.

Meanwhile, Alphonse is making a steady pace keeping up.

Nürburgring 24h__7.jpeg

And Giacomo spreading the gap even further.

Nürburgring 24h__8.jpeg

6th lap... the crowd can't help but wonder who will truly win as the tides of battle constantly change.

Nürburgring 24h__9.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__10.jpeg

"Dave, how are the tires?" Gerhard asked.

"I can use them properly, but the Giulia is the real problem." Dave responded.

Nürburgring 24h__11.jpeg

"Two laps to go." Dave said.

"Focus on finishing the race, Dave. A good start for your career doesn't always have to be in first." Gerhard said.

Nürburgring 24h__12.jpeg

Having taken off a bit of pressure away, Dave maintains his pace to make sure his tires are still in fighting form for the final lap.

"Thank you, Mr. Kern... I thought you would always be stern and all; but I am happy to be proven wrong." Dave thought.

Nürburgring 24h__13.jpeg

On Alphonse's end, the three cars are within striking distance.

"Magnifique. The tires are ready." Alphonse thought.

Louis then asks Alphonse.

"How is the car?" Louis asked.

"New set of tires feel great. The rivals are within reach." Alphonse replied.

7th lap. Dave still awaits for the perfect opportunity to strike.

Nürburgring 24h__14.jpeg

And Alphonse has finally joined the train.

Nürburgring 24h__15.jpeg

Dave immediately notices Alphonse, and it is now time to be on the defensive.

Nürburgring 24h__16.jpeg

But once again, the Veyron's traction is unmatched, easily taking the spot away from Dave.

Nürburgring 24h__17.jpeg

"Too late, but I gotta move too." Dave said.

Nürburgring 24h__18.jpeg

Alphonse makes an attack on Charlie.

"You want to play, mon ami?" Alphonse said.

Nürburgring 24h__19.jpeg

And Charlie also gets on the defensive.

"I can no longer let myself be stomped by you. This is beyond karting now!" Charlie exclaimed.

Dave observes the two going on each others' throats.

Nürburgring 24h__20.jpeg

"Oh right. Weren't the two rivals on the karting stage? I remember watching those two going head-to-head in karting events back home." Dave remarked.

Nürburgring 24h__21.jpeg

Despite being muffled by air restrictors and ECU tuning, the W16 engine still shows its might on the back straight.

Nürburgring 24h__22.jpeg

However, as if it's a twist on fate, Charlie's C8 is limping on its right front tire.

"Argh! Dammit! The front right tire is kaput!" Charlie said.

Nürburgring 24h__23.jpeg

He now has no choice but to box in and make a quick switch.

"This isn't over." Charlie said, as he looks at the fleeting image of the Veyron.

The final lap, Dave secures 3rd place. The track has fully dried up.

Nürburgring 24h__24.jpeg

And the Giulia's lead is definitely locked in. Giacomo feels nothing but euphoria.

Nürburgring 24h__25.jpeg

While Dave resigns to this current position.

Nürburgring 24h__26.jpeg

"I think this race is done. Bravo to all. My time here in Europe is superb. I wanna stay here, to be honest." Dave said.

Nürburgring 24h__27.jpeg

"The racing world is truly filled with exceptional talents. I am glad to have ventured out." Dave said.

The checkered flag is waved. Mistral Motorsports takes the win at the final round of the World Touring Car Championship. The pit crew is in a celebratory mood.

Nürburgring 24h__28.jpeg

But with Alphonse taking the 2nd place, his championship title is secured, with the most points earned in the tournament.

Nürburgring 24h__29.jpeg

Alphonse is exclaiming over the radio.

"WE DID IT! Championship won! GREAT JOB, EVERYONE!" Alphonse exclaimed, with tears coming out.

Louis is clapping his hands.

"Exceptional job, Alphonse. Dinner's on me." Louis said.

Nürburgring 24h__30.jpeg

Neo takes the third place. But with Giacomo's victory in this round, the team is placed down to third with 35 points, now 1 point shy of Mistral Motorsport's 36.

Gerhard applauds to the entire team.

"Valiant efforts, everyone. This is a good start for our new team. We will strive harder for the races ahead." Gerhard said.

In the victory celebrations, Alphonse is approached by his grandparents - Jacques and Soiree - who traveled all the way from France to watch him. They hug him tight, with Alphonse in tears of joy.

"I did it. I won. But this is just the beginning." Alphonse said.

"You are always our winner, Alphonse." Soiree said.

"Grandmère, I will still hold on to my promise. I will win my first Formula 1 race. I will work hard to achieve that." Alphonse said.

Meanwhile, in Neo's garage, the whole team get together for a photo op, with Dave crouching in the middle beside the bronze trophy.

With the photo taken, Takanori gives a brotherly hug to Dave.

"Congrats. This is a great start for your career." Takanori said.

"Thanks to everyone in this team. I thought all hope was lost ever since Maximilian took everything from me, and even worse, when I got in jail. But second chances DO exist, huh? In that case, this is one heck of a second chance." Dave replied.

Gerhard looks at Dave with a smile, and the two shake hands.

"Impressive performance, Mr. Lempel. Kevin would definitely be proud of you." Gerhard said.

"Thank you, sir. You gave me this second chance. I was reckless, but you never gave up." Dave said.

"Expect more opportunities coming, young man. You have definitely done more than enough to clear your name." Gerhard said.

The sun beams down on Neo's garage. Gerhard heads outside, and looks up at the clear sky.

"Kevin, you kept shining your light on us. Thank you. And I miss you so much. We will keep on fighting. A new era begins now." Gerhard said as he basks himself under the warm glow.

End of Page 20

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Next page will be the final page of this story arc.

Page 21 - Next Big Steps

Time: 9 am, two weeks later

The team's overall result is more than satisfactory for Gerhard. This doesn't mean that he settles for the second best, however. They have spent two weeks analyzing telemetry data and organized meetings left and right what things can be improved upon.

The monetary reward they received is more than enough for the development of their future cars. And of course, the drivers enjoy their much-deserved respite. The Kanonji Twins return to their respective homes.

One day, Abel is in his own building dedicated for open cockpit racing. He still runs the Formula division, but it had gone under hiatus due to Kevin's health condition and the fact that Abel had to pour his efforts in Neo's first ever championship stint.

With the tournament concluded, he can finally return his focus - and with the Kanonji Twins' intent on joining the now-global Super Formula series, he is observing the newly-delivered Mercedes-AMG Super Formula W23 - AMG's first foray to the Super Formula tournament, with their own engine powering the car instead of the usual Toyota or Honda unit, albeit Dallara still providing the chassis as per the rules.

Dave is strolling around the complex to curb his boredom, but he got curious when he saw that building with the lights on.

"Huh? That building is usually left untouched. Who's inside?" Dave asked himself.

And so he gets in to sate his curiosity.

He sees Abel, and he waves his hand to get his attention.

"Uh... hey, Mr. Abel Kern." Dave called.

Abel turns toward Dave.

"Oh hello there, Mr. Lempel. Sorry, I am just inspecting our new Super Formula."

Dave goes around the open cockpit race machine, and is astounded by the shining silver paint contrasted by matte decals.

"Super Formula? Isn't that Formula 1?" Dave asked.

"Well, it actually sits between F2 and F1. It is faster than an F2, but slower than an F1." Abel replied.

"Oh, in-between? I have heard that this has gone global." Dave said.

"That is correct. In order to provide more opportunities for drivers yearning to get into F1, the FIA decided to make the Super Formula series into a global competition. And of course to gain more revenue..." Abel explained.

S_Company East_.jpeg

"And the Super Formula has less gadgets - no DRS, no MGU-K, no MGU-H. Although it does have a push-to-pass boost system." he added.

Dave rubs his chin upon hearing this information.

"So it's as raw as it can be, huh?" Dave said.

But before Abel can reply, someone joins them. A familiar face.

"Oh, Mr. Kiehl Muller! I'm glad to see you made it." Abel said, as he shakes hands with the German racer.

"I thought I wasn't able to. But thankfully my other commitment got cancelled at the last minute." Kiehl said.

"Well, as promised, here is your car." Abel said, as he guides Kiehl near the formula race car.

"He's going to...?" Dave asked.

"Ah, pardon me, Dave. By the way, Kiehl, here is Dave Lempel, a new racer in our ranks who just managed to grab us our third place overall." Abel said.

Kiehl looks at Dave and then proceed to do handshakes.

"Yes, I have heard of him. You did a wonderful job. Congratulations." Kiehl said.

"Appreciate it." Dave replied.

"Well, as you now know, Kiehl Muller will be our representative for the Super Formula series. Although, we still need another driver to finalize our participation." Abel said.

Then the two German men stare at Dave.

"Me? You... want me to take part?" Dave asked.

"Well, you do have the potential, young man. This is a great boost for your career. The Super Formula is seen as a gateway not just for F1, but also in other major leagues. Are you interested?" Abel replied.

Dave clears his throat. He then crosses his arms and gives the offer a thought.

"Well, guys, to be honest, I still have yet to reach on that level. Sure, I may have an impressive start here in this team, but I think I have to put in more experience first before I can get behind the helm of that thing.

And what's more, I have decided to return to the States to settle some things there. Tie up loose ends. I can't commit when my heart isn't really on it. So... I appreciate the offer, but I have to pass on it first." Dave replied.

"No problem at all. And you are right, your heart must be really into it when you are doing a life-changing decision. Plus, we can wait. Pre-season testing can begin, but the actual championship is slated for next year. So, that means you have abundant time to finish what you need to settle." Abel said.

"But don't take too long, either." Kiehl added.

"I won't. I'll be back before you know it." Dave said with a grin.

********************************************************************************************************************

Time: 1 pm, the next day

In the coastal city of Marseille, the sun shines to give vibrancy to the commune. Marseille is also within the proximity of Circuit Paul Ricard and Monaco, two places that are heavily associated with Formula 1; something that Alphonse dreams to race one day.

As he waters the flowers in the backyard of his grandparents' residence, he is then summoned by his grandfather, Jacques.

"Alphonse, Monsieur Montagny wants to see you." Jacques said.

The young man places the hose on the grass, then turns off the faucet. He then goes back in the house, greeted by Louis.

"Oh bonjour, Monsieur..." Alphonse greeted.

"How's our champion? Hehehe." Louis said.

"Still having this hangover. Hehe. Well, we have bought a glass cabinet for trophies." Alphonse replied.

"Nice. That's good, since you have more opportunities awaiting. I came here to ask if you are available. I'll take you somewhere special." Louis said.

"Uh... well..." Alphonse said.

"It's okay. You can take him. Jacques said.

"Are you sure, grandpère? Will you both be okay?" Alphonse asked.

"Ah, don't undermine us. We are still strong. Go, you have to hang out with a friend sometime." Jacques said.

"Let's go, then?" Louis said.

Alphonse nods. He then heads upstairs to gather his things while Louis waits in the living area.

"You are such a kind man. We can't thank you enough for everything you've done for Alphonse." Jacques said.

"It's the least I can do for him. But right now, I am still looking for...." Louis said.

But Jacques interrupts.
"Don't waste your time on that. Please focus on our grandson's racing." Jacques said.

Alphonse finally descends the staircase with his grandmother, Soiree. She then puts some snacks in Alphonse's knapsack and zips it shut.

"Don't forget to eat some when you're hungry, okay?" Soiree said.

"Okay. Thank you. Let's go." Alphonse said with a smile. The two men head out, and enter Louis' Bugatti Chiron.

While traveling, Alphonse looks at the meadows, a sign that they are outside the city.

"Where are we going?" Alphonse asked.

"Somewhere just nearby, in a Renault facility." Louis replied.

"Renault?" Alphonse said.

"Yes. There is something special in store for you. You will LOVE it." Louis said with a smile.

Half an hour later, they arrive at the said facility. This is just one among Renault's car storage facilities. But the location for the meeting is special is due to the proximity within Alphonse's residence.

The two men finally meet up with Renault's executives - Andre and Gabriel - who then lead them to a garage.

They stopped, and finally presented three racing cars adorned with blue and pink liveries right in front of Alphonse. The young French racer
immediately feels delight, with his smile gotten larger.

Pit Garage_.jpeg

"Alphonse Blanchard, we have observed countless potential drivers as of late, and your victory have made us amazed the most. Hence why, we are offering you a wonderful opportunity to race for Alpine BWT in various discplines." Andre explained.

But Alphonse is too delighted to even respond.
"Oh... sorry. I'm just taking this all in. Wow!" Alphonse exclaimed.

He sets his eyes on the Super Formula machine dubbed the Alpine SFA23. He goes around it appreciating the details.

"We believe you are the prime candidate to represent us and... turn our fortunes around. You can change the status quo." Gabriel said.

"That is right. But of course, the new Super Formula season will begin next year. For now, you have to prove to us that you have what it takes." Andre said.

"We will call you occasionally for pre-season testing sessions for the Super Formula car, but most of the time, you will be racing the other two cars." Gabriel said.

"This is impressive! A chance to get into Formula 1! I will not let you down, guys. And thank you so much, Monsieur Montagny. I... don't know how to repay you." Alphonse said.

"Ahahahahaha! You don't have to worry about that, mon ami. All you need to do is focus on your future. That is all I am asking." Louis said.

Alphonse takes another time to look at the three racing cars that he will drive. He then smiles and turns his attention to the executives.
"I'm game. I'll take on the next challenge." Alphonse said.

Gabriel shakes Alphonse's hand.

"Welcome aboard." Gabriel said.

Time: 7 pm

Meanwhile, in the evening, a plaza in Milan is closed off, attracting the attention of the locals and even the tourists. They see red trailer trucks parked in one of the entrances, with two veiled low slung machines being pushed out to the center.

Special guests have been allowed access, but it turns out it's a Ferrari unveiling event. They wear in their best suits and gowns.

One of them of course, is Giacomo Marelli, who is still over the moon from his success in the World Touring Car championship. He wears a tailor made suit and vest with matching black slacks and loafers. His gelled back hair completes his appearance.

Joining him is none other than Pietro Guidicelli. The two men look at the photographers and reporters.

"I guess this is how Ferrari rolls..." Giacomo said.

"They are extravagant as always. Do not be surprised anymore." Pietro replied.

Then a man named Luca goes to the center stage, with microphone on hand to make an official announcement. Behind him are two female models wearing evening burgundy gowns holding the veils of each car.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Tonight you are about to witness another history in the making for Ferrari. For the first time in its 75-year history, we are setting foot in another formula category, providing opportunities for aspiring Formula 1 drivers."

"Without further adieu, let me introduce to you our latest project." Luca said, as he makes a cue for the two ladies to pull off the veils.

The audience applauds upon seeing the two new Ferrari Super Formula machines, adorned in the traditional Rosso Scuderia paint similar to their Formula 1 machines, along with their new sponsor, HP.

Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II_.jpeg

"We present to you, the Ferrari La Super Formula. Made possible with the collaboration of Dallara." Luca said.

"And of course, our distinguished individuals who will pilot them to victory. Mr. Giacomo Marelli driving the number 40 car, and Mr. Pietro Guidicelli driving the number 45 car." Luca said, as the two men join him.

Camera flashes intensify as the photographers want to get the best shots of the cars and drivers.

Time: 12 pm, one week later

The famous Red Bull Ring in Austria, host of the Austrian Grand Prix of Formula 1 and has been a staple in the championship.
But right now, there are no F1 machines tearing up...

Red Bull Ring_.jpeg

....as there are only two Red Bull Racing SF2.0 machines having a practice run.

One driver leading the run is a Spaniard named Cesar Vasquez.

Red Bull Ring__1.jpeg

He hails from Barcelona, and has a Belgian wife named Charlotte and a five-year old daughter named Angelica watching him from the pit garage.
Cesar is a two-time Super Formula champion, and was once offered a seat in Formula 1, but he has declined it ever since.

And the one chasing him from behind is none other than Ben Kanonji.

Red Bull Ring__2.jpeg

"Wow..." Ben said as he can't process Cesar's speed.

Red Bull Ring__3.jpeg

Ben would flail at the sharp Turn 3.

While Cesar makes mincemeat of the corners.

Red Bull Ring__4.jpeg

He would then communnicate with Ben over the radio.

"What's wrong, amigo? You're hungry?" Cesar asked.

Red Bull Ring__5.jpeg

"I'm fine. Just getting used to this... thing." Ben replied.

Red Bull Ring__6.jpeg

"Hey, don't push yourself too much. Didn't your father tell you that? Hey, let's take a break." Cesar said.

"Yeah, maybe I am hungry." Ben replied.

Red Bull Ring__7.jpeg

Ben would keep up...

...only because Cesar decreased his pace.

Red Bull Ring__8.jpeg

From the side mirrors, Cesar would notice some wiggling made by Ben's car.

Red Bull Ring__9.jpeg

"Yeah. You're definitely hungry. My specialty jamón is your weakness. Don't worry, I brought lots today." Cesar said.

"YEAHHH!" Ben exclaimed upon hearing that news.

"I knew it. You really are my bumbling first-born. Hehe." Cesar said in jest.

Red Bull Ring__10.jpeg

The two cars enter the pit lane and then to their respective pit garages. As Ben takes off his helmet and balaclava, Angelica runs up to him, and as if it's a muscle memory for Ben, he carries her on his back.

"Tio Ben! Eeew you're sweaty! Hahaha!" Angelica said.

"Aha, what have I told you? Ben is your big brother. He's your hermano. Tio Ben is reserved only for hombre araña, okay?" Cesar said.

Cesar views Ben as part of his family, as the two got close during Ben's early days in Super Formula. Add to the fact that Cesar is also a fellow Protege of the late Sir Ben McCarthy, he has a huge respect for Takuma and owes him a lot as well, and that would lead for the Spaniard to have a special bond with Takuma's adoptive son.

Charlotte opens up the container revealing Cesar's special jamón. Each slice contains a decent amount of fat sprinkled with black peppers. Ben takes at least four slices and puts them on a small plate. He gets one and takes a bite.

"Mmmmmm.... I love this succulence." Ben said.

"That's 100 Euros per slice." Cesar said.

"WHAT?!" Ben exclaimed.

"Just kidding. Start eating now." Cesar said.

As the family help themselves with Cesar's cooking, one of the crew approaches them, specifically their chief mechanic for the Super Formula division, named Gregory Thames.

"Gentlemen, mind if I bother you for a bit?" Gregory asked.

"Why?" Cesar asked.

"Someone wants to see Mr. Benjamin Kanonji." Gregory replied.

Ben takes a drink from the cold bottle of water.

"Me? Who?" Ben asked.

"Please follow me." Gregory said.

Both Cesar and Ben follow Gregory. And then they stopped, making eye contact with someone who wishes to meet Benjamin.

Upon seeing the person in question, Cesar shows a grin, while Ben shows a big smile. He then reaches out his hand, shaking hands with the mysterious person.

"Heh." Cesar said.

Ben would then utter, "It's an honor to have finally met you..."

"....Mr. Verstappen."

THE END

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Next story arc will be about Alphonse's perspective on the World Touring Car Championship - titled "The Zephyr". This will also clear up the mystery as to why he uses the number "17" which is used by Louis Montagny.

- The next arc shall start on Saturday.

Last edited:
Home Straight_.jpeg

THE ZEPHYR

A rising new star in racing, 17-year old French racer named Alphonse Blanchard graduates from the world of karting.
He now moves on to a much bigger arena - the global stage with much faster machinery. His pursuit to achieve his goal of entering Formula 1 begins now.

Timeline: Set before and during the events of Neo.

Act 1: The Transition

Bonjour! Mon prénom est Alphonse Blanchard.

Don't worry, I'll relay to you in English.

Ah, mon dieu! I have to focus! I have a race to win!

Dragon Trail - Gardens_.jpeg

Well, I have to start somewhere. Everyone does.

I am a two-time world karting champion. I started racing go-karts at a little late, at age 10. But over those seven years, I amassed podium finishes... in every race.

Dragon Trail - Gardens__1.jpeg

All of those were possible thanks to the guidance of Monsieur Louis Montagny, and of course, my grandparents Jacques and Soiree. Those three are the most important people in my life.

Oui, just those three.

I have no parents. My mother died giving birth to me; and my father? Completely no idea who he is. But I don't really care. He must have his reasons. I hold no interest in getting to know him.

Dragon Trail - Gardens__2.jpeg

My focus is on Formula 1. Yes, Formula 1.

Big dream, right?

Well, I got into this chaotic world of speed the day my grandparents brought me to see a Formula 1 race at Circuit Paul Ricard. It was my 9th birthday. That race was a birthday gift to me. I vividly remember those blazingly fast F1 machines clocking over 300 kilometers per hour passing by like mere flashes.

And then, just like that. I got hooked. Ever since then, I watch Formula 1 races every weekend on television. Of course we couldn't afford to just travel and watch the action in the flesh; so the TV would suffice. Every race weekends, my grandparents would call me to the living room, as the F1 race would begin. It doesn't matter if I was in a middle of homework or school project. I HAD TO WATCH ONE.

Then an opportunity came along. A relative of Jacques came over one Sunday, and he knew that I am a Formula 1 fan. And then...

...he offered me to enroll on a karting school, ran by none other than Monsieur Louis Montagny himself. I was so delighted to hear that, that I missed the moment who won that race.

Dragon Trail - Gardens__3.jpeg

I won again today. Hehe.

I want to not just stand alongside the legends like Fernando Alonso, Charles Leclerc, Max Verstappen, or Lewis Hamilton; but also race against them.

But you know... with currently where I am, that might be just a dream.

But still...

...I'll enter Formula 1, no matter what.

Oh, today's race is my last stint in karting. Monsieur Montagny told me that I have "graduated" from karting; and he will give me an opportunity.

What is that?

Before that can be answered, a victory ceremony is in order. Once again, I get a gold trophy. But I will miss racing the others. My karting mates and I have a group hug.

And then my grandparents came, and also hug me tight.

"Congratulations! You will always be our winner." said Jacques.

"Are you hungry? You can pick where do you want to eat for lunch." Soiree said.

I replied, "I am craving for beef bourguignon."

Racing can leave you really hungry. And I prefer home cooking over restaurant or fast food. My grandmother knows how to cook beef bourguignon.

Soiree replied, "I knew it. Well, let's go home. I believe Mister Montagny is also on his way."

And we left the track, with all our faces smiling. I think I couldn't ask for more. I have the love and support of my grandparents, and with the guidance of Monsieur Montagny.

********************************************************************************************************

Just an hour later, we arrived home in Marseilles. And at our doorstep is my mentor, leaning on his shiny blue Bugatti Chiron.

He would then approach me, and in a typical brotherly gesture, he messed up my hair and then hugged me.

"Well done! I think you can even do it with your eyes closed." Louis said.

I then replied, "Honestly, I almost fell asleep on that race."

Big words, huh? Well, as we enter the home, my grandmother heads off to the kitchen to prepare the dish.

The three of us would sit at the dining table. Monsieur would shower me with praises, and then he would get serious.

I think he is now ready to reveal this "grand opportunity".

"I have received racing invitations. This time, he will stop karting. But he will be driving much faster cars. There will be a race next weekend in which he will try out a touring car. If it all goes well, then he will proceed to the World Touring Car Championship. I believe he has the potential." Louis explained.

Much faster cars? What does he mean? Will he just slam me into a Formula 1 car? That's... too fast.

I then asked: "Faster cars? Like racing cars?"

Louis replied, "Yes, and it will be a surprise".

Monsieur has the penchant for keeping me in the dark and just surprise me. I'm already dead with suspense.

He added, "Tomorrow, you will see the car."

Oh great. Another suspense. He can already direct a thriller movie or something.

My grandfather nods to everything Monsieur said. I think there's no need for an approval for that...

"Don't worry. I will take care of Alphonse. Everything is taken care of." Louis said.

"Thank you for helping him achieve his dreams." Jacques said.

There we go again, getting emotional. I am already aware that part of racing is being home away from home. My grandparents have already prepared for that possibility. However they can't help but feel sad... that I'm parting ways from them again, but this time around, I am all over the world for a longer period of time.

I am ready...

...to take on the world.

**********************************************************************************************

The next day, Monsieur and I head to the Blue Streak Headquarters in St. Croix. We didn't leave the house without drama, of course.

I tearfully said my goodbyes to my grandparents. But they assured me that they'll watch my races. What matters to me most is that they are okay and healthy in my absence.

The only thing I am asking from them, is that...

...they have to witness my first ever Formula 1 race. I want to see them achieve my dream.
If it's on Paul Ricard, then it's much better.

Upon arriving, he wasted no time leading me to the next car I'm driving.

Lo and behold...

Pit Garage_.jpeg

....a Bugatti Veyron.

Wow... am I supposed to handle a car with over a thousand horsepower?

I then asked, "Doesn't this car have one thousand horsepower?"

Louis replied, "No. This car has five hundred horsepower."

"But why? Why is it lower?" I asked.

Louis replied, "Because we have to play fair. However, in the World Touring Car Championship, this will have more power."

Makes sense, actually. A Veyron almost has a pace of a Formula 1 car on the straights. But since we are talking about touring cars here, they might as well rein it in.

The rest of the week was spent on getting to know the car. And it drives nice, actually. Very stable through the turns.

Then the weekend came.

We proceeded to the Deep Forest Raceway in Switzerland. It's a single race that Blue Streak was invited to. To everyone's surprise, I am the one driving, not Monsieur.

And there are talks among the other teams that his decision is ridiculous. I am too young to handle a touring car, bla bla bla.

I have to prove them wrong. I am not a two-time world karting champion for nothing.

Deep Forest Raceway_.jpeg

Over the radio, Louis said: "Win this race, and more sponsors will come to us for the WTCC. And it's the perfect opportunity for you to show that you have graduated from karting."

"Copy." I replied.

Three... two... one...

...It's lights out and away we go.

The Veyron is a 4WD, so naturally launching it is not a problem.

Deep Forest Raceway__1.jpeg

17 year-old drivers or even younger competing in motorsports is nothing new. Why are people still surprised by that? Do they expect us to have a driving license first before we race? I already have a provisional racing license and I still can't legally drive... until next year, that is.

No use musing on that. I got to focus.

Deep Forest Raceway__2.jpeg

What's wrong? Can't believe a teenager in a Veyron is faster than you? Heh.

Deep Forest Raceway__3.jpeg

But the experience... it's way different. This is a much tougher atmosphere. I can already feel the tension. It's more unforgiving.

And the fact that I am driving something 5 times more power than a shifter kart.

Deep Forest Raceway__4.jpeg

A Veyron is nothing like a go-kart. It's less twitchy. I don't have to worry about losing control just because of a tiny error in steering.

Deep Forest Raceway__5.jpeg

That means I can attack at any time.

Deep Forest Raceway__6.jpeg

I am taking a different path... but in the end I'll land in the same goal.

Deep Forest Raceway__7.jpeg

And that's fine by me. Maybe it's time to learn other disciplines after all. Maybe Monsieur Montagny has a special plan for me.

End of Act 1

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Moving forward, I shall now call entries as "Acts" instead of "Pages".

Last edited:
Back