T500RS: Random Pause while racing online in GT SPORT

• Thread starter jdmnsprd
  • 18 comments
United States
United States
So I dont know whether its my wheel or the game but when im in a lobby racing online the wheel will randomly press pause and also change the camera. It would do it once or twice while for example im in a Nürburgring Nordschleife race online. The last race I had I told myself this is the last one for the night and funny when I finish I get the infamous error code, so im hoping its the game because I paid $600 for this. I have had the wheel since last year and no problems.Also does anyone know when does Thrustmaster release a firmware update? Is it every year or random? I just recently updated mine to ver.47

This sounds like one of the most common problems that T300 had - unfortunately I think it is a hardware issue rather than software bug, but I hope I'm wrong here - anyhow, this is caused by a weak "connection" between the rim and the unit base (the game thinks that you've removed the rim - this is the reason for the pause) - what you can try is tightening the two parts together and clean the connector. Do you experience the same issue with other games or is it just on GT ?

This sounds like one of the most common problems that T300 had - unfortunately I think it is a hardware issue rather than software bug, but I hope I'm wrong here - anyhow, this is caused by a weak "connection" between the rim and the unit base (the game thinks that you've removed the rim - this is the reason for the pause) - what you can try is tightening the two parts together and clean the connector. Do you experience the same issue with other games or is it just on GT ?
This happens only when im playing GT sport. When I play Project Cars 2 it works fine no issues. It could be GT sport because after update 1.15 the wheel stop working all together. I have disconnected and connected all the wires and it still did it after a race im afraid polyphony might of messed with it after this update :nervous: also after the update 1.17 with the vision audi vision GT it was weird because when I started the game it said update 1.15 :odd: showing the list of cars like of the gr2 gtr,gr2 honda nsx etc which cant be right since we already got that update a few weeks ago

I should of never updated this **** now its pausing EVERY RACE damn does anyone have any idea when thrustmaster will release a new firmware update?

It's not the firmware. Remove the wheel and reinstall. My T300 does it sometimes. Usually during heavy FFB.
It is the firmware because it NEVER did this before I updated it. We pay too much money for something like this too happen to frequent, especially when im in a competitive online race and all of a sudden it decides to pause the game 👎

It is the firmware because it NEVER did this before I updated it. We pay too much money for something like this too happen to frequent, especially when im in a competitive online race and all of a sudden it decides to pause the game 👎
I suggest you at least try @MidFieldMaven and @ststav01 suggestions. The issue that you mentioned about your wheel stopping working after the 1.15 update happened to all T500 users (and also the t300 users using PS3 mode). The 1.16 update fixed that, and then everyone had the same list from 1.15 show up after the 1.17 update, so nothing odd there either. I think it could be just a case of bad luck that your issue happened to turn up during updates/firmware changes. This is a very well known issue amongst T300 users and they have differing experiences of when (and what game) it happens on. The thing is, if this was a major firmware stuff-up you wouldn't be the only one in this thread complaining about it, many others in this Gt Sport section also have T500s . Just give their recomendations a go, you really don't have anything to lose by trying them.:)

its Happen to me with my T-GT the issue just starterd after the firmware update never Happen before it’s very annoying when happen in the middle of a online race .

I suggest you at least try @MidFieldMaven and @ststav01 suggestions. The issue that you mentioned about your wheel stopping working after the 1.15 update happened to all T500 users (and also the t300 users using PS3 mode). The 1.16 update fixed that, and then everyone had the same list from 1.15 show up after the 1.17 update, so nothing odd there either. I think it could be just a case of bad luck that your issue happened to turn up during updates/firmware changes. This is a very well known issue amongst T300 users and they have differing experiences of when (and what game) it happens on. The thing is, if this was a major firmware stuff-up you wouldn't be the only one in this thread complaining about it, many others in this Gt Sport section also have T500s . Just give their recomendations a go, you really don't have anything to lose by trying them.:)
ok so I removed the wheel and tighten all the screws in the unit and on the wheel. Put everything back on and had 2 races with no issues, ill update if God forbid anything off happens

It’s a really odd issue. I never had it come up while playing DIRT 4, frequently had it in Assetto Corsa and rarely in GT Sport. I’ve heard people say, even in this thread, that it’s not a software issue but I’ve had no problems ever since I updated the drivers for my T300RS a few months back.

I'm afraid to update firmware on my T500rs after reading this. Haven't done it once. Works fine outta box.. Do the firmware updates somehow make it better or what are they even for?

Bumping this thread as I am getting the pausing issue. What is meant by removing the wheel? Is it literally removing the single grub screw at the bottom of the wheel, pulling the wheel off, then tightening the screws on the back of the wheel?

Last edited:
Bumping this thread as I am getting the pausing issue. What is meant by removing the wheel? Is it literally removing the single grub screw at the bottom of the wheel, pulling the wheel off, then tightening the screws on the back of the wheel?
Yeah that - well, nearly

I have the same issue with the T-GT, had it for ages. After a few hours gameplay (not all in one session) the wheel will start pressing random buttons, usually 'share' (which will pause it), but it's also changed FM, view and BB for me, and it's done it all at the same time! Just take the wheel rim off the base and put it back on, no need to tighten screws, that'll reset it for a few hours gameplay again. It's a bit of a pain but I make absolutely sure I do this before every FIA race or decent length racing session, and never had an issue since doing it

Yeah that - well, nearly

I have the same issue with the T-GT, had it for ages. After a few hours gameplay (not all in one session) the wheel will start pressing random buttons, usually 'share' (which will pause it), but it's also changed FM, view and BB for me, and it's done it all at the same time! Just take the wheel rim off the base and put it back on, no need to tighten screws, that'll reset it for a few hours gameplay again. It's a bit of a pain but I make absolutely sure I do this before every FIA race or decent length racing session, and never had an issue since doing it
Thanks mate, I also have the T-GT and the symptoms you've described in detail are actually identical to my issues so your fix sounds promising

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I also have the T-GT and the symptoms you've described in detail are actually identical to my issues so your fix sounds promising
I have a T300RS GT Edition and it was doing the same thing when I bought it. Randomly pressing buttons. Mostly Pause and Right on the D-pad, messing with my TC or BB or whichever was on at the moment. One day I plugged it in my PC and updated the FW. Hasn't happened once since that day and it's been more than 3 years. So I recommend trying that as well.

Every T-GT will have this problem sooner or later. The tightener between the wheel and the base is not strong enough and during heavy steering moments the pin connectors inside just gets slightly loose, and this makes the game think you're pressing random buttons.

These 2 mods fixed it permanently for me:

Hope it helps, and make this a lesson to get Fanatec next time :lol:

Last edited:
Hi friends ok so it’s 2023 and I still really like the t500rs even over a t gt 2 that I had for a while , it’s only got 4 nm approx but I love the pedals and shifters . So I updated firmware and it started pausing and glitching like crazy , I just thought ok this is old and won’t work on GT7 on ps4 anymore so I came across this YouTube video

I followed it exactly and boom it’s back working perfectly, long story don’t update firmware it doesn’t like it , take it back to reset with the video instruction and you should be sound

Back