The Doc's Classic Tunes:Aston Martin DB3s Tune.

• Thread starter bigmull
  • 12 comments
England
England
Before 2 updates ago the DB3s was a cracking car and then they altered the LSD and Suspension geometry which made it undriveable to any extent.It was getting 4 mins 14-20'secs a lap at Le Mans with 200+ mph down the straights,it was slightly skittish on hard braking from 160+ mph but no real problem.Post the update it was uncontrollable under braking,the rear end stepped out with alarming regularity.I was determined to get this amazing car sorted.After much trial and error i have got it back to 97% of what it was before it got broken.To you Tuners out there you will notice that really none of the settings make any sense,that said,it works.I still need to tinker with the suspension as its still a bit too soft.for my liking.Just remember that this isnt a modern car and has no aero package,so cornering speeds will not be what you are used to,also its a VERY low revving engine so be aware if you use the engine sound to judge cornering speeds it goes a lot faster than you think!Here are the settings and a vid of a lap or so at Le Mans with the settings.You will get 4+ laps on a tank and 5 laps on RH tyres.
DB1.jpg
DB3.jpg
DB3.jpg

Before 2 updates ago the DB3s was a cracking car and then they altered the LSD and Suspension geometry which made it undriveable to any extent.It was getting 4 mins 14-20'secs a lap at Le Mans with 200+ mph down the straights,it was slightly skittish on hard braking from 160+ mph but no real problem.Post the update it was uncontrollable under braking,the rear end stepped out with alarming regularity.I was determined to get this amazing car sorted.After much trial and error i have got it back to 97% of what it was before it got broken.To you Tuners out there you will notice that really none of the settings make any sense,that said,it works.I still need to tinker with the suspension as its still a bit too soft.for my liking.Just remember that this isnt a modern car and has no aero package,so cornering speeds will not be what you are used to,also its a VERY low revving engine so be aware if you use the engine sound to judge cornering speeds it goes a lot faster than you think!Here are the settings and a vid of a lap or so at Le Mans with the settings.You will get 4+ laps on a tank and 5 laps on RH tyres.
View attachment 1220855View attachment 1220856View attachment 1220853

You posted the image where we can see the supercharger + brake controller settings twice, we're missing the suspension and diff settings. Might give it a run whenever I have some time to do so.

I am still tweaking the setup so once i am happy with it i will post it.This little car is a great challenge to drive and once you suss it out its so much fun.

I think i have got this as good as i can.I changed front toe angle and its now more stable when braking from higher speeds.I fiddled with the gear ratios as well so it now uses the engine braking a lot better.The only thing i am not happy with is the tyre wear,that said there is more than enough to do a onestopper at Le Mans,i dont think i can get it any better.The car is running quite spindly tyres compared to more modern rubber and there is just not the tyre body mass to absorb the temperature as well as modern tyres,allied to that you can get this bad boy to do over 200 mph the skinny tyres just cant take the abuse,but it makes for a more interesting drive.
324614761_1331253017642245_2099137584072833608_n.jpg
324619178_463593739128973_6155332612134577848_n.jpg
322943148_1132573397425543_8221160494811289611_n.jpg

Last edited:
If you havent driven this car much.i suggest you turn on the braking and racingline assists untill proficient.This car takes some stopping as its not got brilliant brakes and add to that the fact by the time your at the chicane on the Mulsanne straight your speed can be touching 190 mph it takes a bit of practice.I use the brake assist not for braking as much,but as when to let off the brakes.Its best to use a bit of cadence braking and let the gear box slow the car as well.

dbb7.jpg
dbb9.jpg
dbbb3.jpg
dbbbb1.jpg

For those that havent driven an old car like this you will be taking corners at MUCH lower speeds than you are used to.These cars had skinny wheels and no aero,as such you Will spin out if you exceed the cornering speed.Dont worry though the Db3s acceleration and top speed on the straight is more than enough to beat modern cars at 700 pp or even 800 pp.With the skinny wheels braking is a much longer process.The wheels WILL pick up any changes in camber of the track and it will cause your car to go as if its wheels were stuck in a tram track,so find the best line whre there is less or no camber.Also be cautious in just how hard and how long you apply the brakes for,this car responds well to cadence braking.Its a knack to aquire but pays dividends when raing old cars with poor brakes.With this setup you can lap at 4 min 20+ secs of Le Mans on lean.If needed i can upload a vid of how i drive the car and an idea of the corner speeds at Le Mans.

Thanks for your “classic” tunes - personally my favorite cars to drive and I really appreciate the work you have put in. I stuck racing mediums on and adjusted the gearbox a little added the Titanium rods and pistons and managed 200km on straights fuel map 3 with a 4.14 final lap on FM1 - great fun - as you say very early cadence braking helps!

Thanks for your “classic” tunes - personally my favorite cars to drive and I really appreciate the work you have put in. I stuck racing mediums on and adjusted the gearbox a little added the Titanium rods and pistons and managed 200km on straights fuel map 3 with a 4.14 final lap on FM1 - great fun - as you say very early cadence braking helps!
I have tweaked the tune will post it later on today.

Latest Posts

Back