The Robot Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter W3H5
  • 147 comments

Name: Johnny Cab

Type/Class: Taxi driver?

Autonomous: Fully

Bio: Built to serve no other purpose than to drive a flimsy jelly mould of a cab, talk irritating crap and take jobs from starving cab drivers. If only he'd existed a few years later then he'd have been rendered in glorious CGI, but unfortunately he wasn't and ended up like a half melted ventriloquists dummy. Thankfully died at the hands of a confused Arnold Schwarzenegger and will not be sorely missed.

Johnny Cab! He's only part autonomous as he needs to be commanded as to where to go, therefore only part autonomous due to the human input needed. :sly:

*Robot master-class teacher*

AikoVietSitting2.jpg

Name: Aiko.

All other details: Research 'Project Aiko'. Too numerous to mention.

AikoByYobe2.jpg

robby.jpg

Name: Robby

Type/Class: Task Handler

Autonomous: Yes

Bio: Robby the Robot is a 7-foot (2.1 m) tall fictional robot originally created in the mid-1950s by MGM's prop department; In Forbidden Planet, Robby exhibited artificial intelligence, but with a distinct personality that showed a (possibly unintentional) dry wit, presumably programmed by Dr. Morbius. He was instructed by Morbius to be helpful to the Earth starship crew; he synthesized and transported to their landing site the lead alloy shielding needed by its crew. While the film's poster depicts a fierce character abducting a maiden, no such scene was actually in the film; Robby only carried one person, crewman Dr. Ostro when he was mortally wounded by his own actions with the Krell's "plastic educator." Robby's speaking "mouth" was a monochromatic blue light organ, synchronized to his synthetic voice, its band of curved tubes located directly below his transparent conical "face" dome.

& there you have it, my favorite robot. :)

Strangely enough, Robbie, is also the name of the first chapter about a robot of the same name in Asimov's I, Robot.

Solid-Snake-vs-Metal-Gear-REX.jpg

Metal Gear REX

Metal Gear REX is a Metal Gear prototype that was jointly developed by DARPA and ArmsTech Inc for the U.S. Army in the early 2000s.

REX is a walking bipedal tank that has the ability to launch nuclear warheads from any terrain on earth. The rail gun on it's right side is able to launch warheads without worry of radar picking up the warhead since it's not dependent on rockets.

REX was truly impregnable but it had one major flaw which was the radome on it's left side. This design flaw was done on purpose by Hal Emmerich, the lead engineer of the REX project (but who had no idea at the time that it was meant to launch nuclear missiles) because he believed "nothing can be complete without a character flaw".

More info here if wanted.

Love Rex, but he was actually already made in the the 60's where all the physical and mechanical functions where made.
It then got an digital overhaul thanks to Emmerich.

You know you would, even if it was cold inside like a DVD player, you still would. ;)

jeri-ryan-seven-nine-25.jpg
[/IMG]

Do what? Sorry, I don't follow, punch her?

Hmm, my favorite Robot would be Wing Zero or Unit 01 or Minawa Ando.

Last edited:
Megas_XLR_Sketch_and_Color_by_wingedmonkee.png

Name: Megas XLR

Type/class: Giant robot car

Autonomous: nope

Bio: In the distant future, Earth is fighting a losing war with an alien race known as the Glorft. In order to save the planet, the human resistance steals a prototype giant robot from the Glorft and modifies it, renaming it MEGAS (Mechanized Earth Guard Attack System). The idea is to use a time-traveling device called a time drive to send MEGAS and its pilot, Kiva, back in time to the Battle of the Last Stand, which was the last major offensive fought by humanity against the Glorft. Humanity lost that battle, but the members of the resistance, particularly Kiva, believe that MEGAS can tip the scales and hand the Glorft a decisive defeat. Kiva goes back in time to retrieve MEGAS, and when she finds she is unable to pilot it because of Coop's modifications, she grudgingly decides to train Coop how to pilot MEGAS, who is now the only person who can pilot it. However, the Glorft have followed her through time and, much to Kiva's chagrin, it is now up to Coop to defend Earth from the Glorft and other various threats to the Earth; if he doesn't accidentally end up destroying it first that is.

Name: PaPeRo

Type/Class: Partner-type-Personal-Robot

Autonomous: partially

Bio: (I'll be brief), facial and speech recognition system (recognises about 3000 words aswell as speaking them).. likes to interact with people (it's main purpose). It has 5 different personalities and 'NEC' have done a few different versions of the robot.. there's even a robotic comedian version. It uses an ultrasound system to detect objects in it's path etc and can even drive the 'Nissan' 'Pivo' concept car.

[EDIT] My bad.. it doesn't drive it, it just assists with driving, it monitors your face to see whether you're tired and can tell when you're driving bad etc.

Last edited:
W3HS & kennylmao, ^ I think so too, but having read a bit more about it i'm not sure whether it can actually speak 3000 words (another source says it only speaks 650 words), could be just another Wiki inaccuracy, but according to the other source, it does recognise 3000 words though...

Forgot about possibly my favourite robot/s of all time (film)

Silent running: Huey, Dewey & Louie.

It's been years since iv'e seen the film, but remember having teary eyes when Dewey's left on his own at the end. :(

Shem - with all your knowledge of robotics - would be nice to have a specific discussion headed by you on real robotics in our world today kind of a 'Robotics 101' discussion where we could discuss the robots we are building ourselves, whether Battle Bots, or Utility Robots, as well as all the other real-life robotics that is taking place in the world. Should we start a fresh discussion or mutate this thread?
If such a new discussion is began, I would prefer you chair it, since I do get the impression that you have a wealth of knowledge on the matter.
Thanks,
Cheers,
Harry.

Name: Dai X

Type/Class: Star Fleet Defence combining mecha

Autonomous: No.

Bio: Dai X is a Welsh Mech formed when the three attack ships launched from the X-Bomber of the Star Fleet command combine.
It's purpose is to destroy a threat big enough to require a Mech the size of a mountain to destroy it; and that's is all you need to know.
Everything else I can't remember because I was only 6.

End thread?

:sly:👍

Last edited:
Gad, another unkempt thread with a hundred broken pictures. Time to power it up - if robots aren't a topic of discussion today, what is?

Here, for you robot gods, is the top five robots of 2015:

Honda, as always, seems to know what the man on the street wants. ;)

Some years (12) ago this was lighthearted fun.

Now we have easily obtainable digital replicants that can pass the Turing Test.
How much of GTP is actually GPT, I wonder?

At least these ‘bots are confined to the matrix. For now.

"AI" has become a marketing buzzword synonymous with programming.

I am not interested in actively feeding the monster, though it's likely read thousands upon thousands of pages of our work here on GTPlanet. I have not taken up my time to chat or search with AI-powered sites, and only played with the DALL-E feature three times. Though you can't get away from it...every time I've figured out CAPTCHA or picked out traffic lights (because someone decided to use a crummy password), you've assisted AI. Each download of a silly phone game to discern really basic images, you've probably boosted it's learning curve. And so forth.

What grates my carrot is we've let the 'bots make art and literature, which is a leisure class activity; they should have let it get better at cleaning toilets and washing dishes.

Last edited:
What grates my carrot is we've let the 'bots make art and literature, which is a leisure class activity; they should have let it get better at cleaning toilets and washing dishes.
This is my main grievance with the replicated behaviours; I’m still hand washing my floors because household robots are pants, while these cloud based replicants float around painting pics and writing novels. A bit of a reverse from past predictions. Almost as if the title of “robot” is ill fitting.

I’ve dabbled a bit, but never used it in my actually work, I want to keep that all human.
I understand the benefit of augmenting oneself to improve in a digital space, but it’s almost impossible to know when the human ends and the bot starts.

I’ve had plenty of encounters with bot made materials online, and those are only the ones that are glaringly obvious. I’m sure some are beyond detection.

For better or worse it’s here for the time being. Humanity better have a firm grasp on reality if it continues down this rabbit hole. At least for now it’s limited to its cloud prison and static servers, but I’m sure Boston Dynamics will be incorporating some form of replicant bot brain into their physical machines.

Last edited:
Working in a museum has seen me directly working with and on a number of (working) robots over the years, I even had to fly to Hong Kong in November 2020 to go and install a gallery full of them, that was a fun couple of weeks. I was also in Stockholm packing up the same exhibition until two days before the lockdowns came to England, eating burgers and taking wigs off of humanoid robots while my partner at home was freaking out about the empty shelves at Tesco.

Let me see how many names I can remember:

YuMi
RoboThespian
Inkha
Rob's Open Source Android (ROSA)
Zeno R25
Baxter
Kodomoroid
Telenoid (a deeply creepy little flipper baby telepresence thing that used to convulse if not adequately propped up)
Amico
REEM
And my current problem child, an Automata Eva. To be fair the robot itself is fine, it's just not made for what we're asking it to do.

Forgive me if I don't post photos of all of these...

Back