Track limits question

• Thread starter wlashack
  • 11 comments
Czech Republic
Czech Republic
wlashack
Hello,
I am quite new to simracing and Gran Turismo and trying to figure out basic concepts of all of that. One of the things I am disoriented is track limits so I have a question about it.
  • How is track limit defined? (I found somewhere that "you have to keep at least 2 tyres on track including curb") but it seems not to be true to me. I saw lot of videos/ghosts that go completely out of track and it is considered to be ok. So what is the real rule for track limit?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I saw lot of videos/ghosts that go completely out of track and it is considered to be ok. So what is the real rule for track limit?
You only need literally 1 pixel of tyre touching the curb and the car is considered within track limits. That's almost certainly what's going on here. There are some exceptions but not many.

I think @watto79 is right on point.

Ontrack example in my most driven track.
1712215556605.png

Next corner
1712215975721.png

Hmm, that is weird. But OK.

One more question: is there any indication where/when exactly I exceeded the track limit?
Here is a very short video where I run over 4 consecutive curbs (it seems to me that all of them well). And only when I am far from here in the middle of the track a penalty message appers so I have no idea where the violation occurred. Is there any indication that tells me HERE!?

Last edited:
Hmm, that is weird. But OK.

One more question: is there any indication where/when exactly I exceeded the track limit?
Here is a very short video where I run over 4 consecutive curbs (it seems to me that all of them well). And only when I am far from here in the middle of the track a penalty message appers so I have no idea where the violation occurred. Is there any indication that tells me HERE!?
There's nothing to tell you but it's here at the 2nd curb. You go across the grass between the end of the curb and the track. It's a very common and easy spot to pick up a track limits penalty.
Screenshot_20240404-211523_YouTube.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240404-211523_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240404-211523_YouTube.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 3
Another easy method is to watch replay and when the penalty banner shows you can reliably go back about 9-10 seconds in replay and see exactly where you went astray.
There is a 9-10 delay between actual penalty and when the banner appears on screen.

Another easy method is to watch replay and when the penalty banner shows you can reliably go back about 9-10 seconds in replay and see exactly where you went astray.
There is a 9-10 delay between actual penalty and when the banner appears on screen.
The problem was I sometimes did not absolutely get what I did wrong. I watched replay step-by-step and it seemed that my car runs within track all the way. But yeah, I finally think I found the cause of my misunderstandings — it is about a „hidden catch“ where there is a start or end of a curb. You go on curb but just before curb starts od just after it ends I touched ground several pixels and I got a penalty. It took me really long to solve this puzzle.

penalty.png

Thanks all here for support.👍

Last edited:
Generally I have found that you need to keep at least one tire on the track where there are white lines. The wheel can be on the white line but as others have said, you need at least one pixel touching the track.

There the line turns yellow and you have red/yellow curbing you are usually good as long as you have one time on the curbing. You can cross the yellow line. What catches me, and others, is that as you cross the end of the curbing, yellow line switching back to white, you can often still be outside of the the track and that is where you get your penalty. Just make sure you get one wheel back on track before switching from the curbed yellow line to the track white line.

Every track is unique though so there are exceptions to this.

Last edited:
Back