Weather on all tracks

Australia
Australia
nthorson1987
Won't be holding my breath for it, but what are the chances of all tracks being given all weather conditions eventually?

Watching the supporter categories and qualifying for the Bathurst 1000 and it is pouring rain. Really makes me want to relive the days of V8 Supercars 2 on the PS2 flying around the track in the wet.

Won't be holding my breath for it, but what are the chances of all tracks being given all weather conditions eventually?

Watching the supporter categories and qualifying for the Bathurst 1000 and it is pouring rain. Really makes me want to relive the days of V8 Supercars 2 on the PS2 flying around the track in the wet.
Grid Legends has wet races there.

I'm sure PD has some convoluted reasoning about not having the exact real meteorological data for that region, for why it's not available in their game.

It's a weird one. We're what, 6 months of updates down the line? You'd think they would have given at least one other track dynamic weather by now.

I mean - if they are sticking to the supposed "track / nothing / layout / nothing / track" schedule, at least give some more tracks dynamic weather or a 24h clock in the slots where we get nothing. Last update would have at least been received somewhat better if Bathurst or Brands Hatch or something was blessed with the ability to experience rain, it would've been something new.

But honestly judging by the fact that we haven't seen it rolled out to anywhere else, no, I don't think we will ever see weather on every track. Maybe a couple more, if we're lucky - but it's clearly not a priority for them.

PD are, like many things, on their own with this one. Whatever they do to add their weather system, they're the only modern game I know of that have only ever added it on select tracks. Every other serious racing game on the market I can think of, if it has weather, it's on all (or very nearly all, there are sometimes special exceptions) tracks.

GT/PD are the only ones who have promoted weather for several games and every time it's been on limited tracks.

Every other serious racing game on the market I can think of, if it has weather, it's on all (or very nearly all, there are sometimes special exceptions) tracks.

GT/PD are the only ones who have promoted weather for several games and every time it's been on limited tracks.
GT isn't a hardcore sim, nor is it an arcade racer, so it's not serious like ACC or iRacing with their highly realistic rain, nor is it as loose as Need For Speed with their "everything is now slippery" rain.

PD want to do rain as accurately as possible, with how it looks and changes how the cars feel, but they don't want to throw it on every track as that would be hell for the newer racers or people that are more about car culture and only have the game to drive cars.

PD chose to approach regions based on general climate - the Americas are generally warmer and drier, so they don't get rain. Europe and Asia on the other hand are more damp, so they get rain.

Personally, I don't want more rain races, as much as PD have done a good job, having your own car lose all traction in moderate rain while some AI cars lose no traction at all on the same tires, is annoying.

Last edited:
GT isn't a hardcore sim, nor is it an arcade racer, so it's not serious like ACC or iRacing with their highly realistic rain, nor is it as loose as Need For Speed with their "everything is now slippery" rain.

PD want to do rain as accurately as possible, with how it looks and changes how the cars feel, but they don't want to throw it on every track as that would be hell for the newer racers or people that are more about car culture and only have the game to drive cars.

PD chose to approach regions based on general climate - the Americas are generally warmer and drier, so they don't get rain. Europe and Asia on the other hand are more damp, so they get rain.

Personally, I don't want more rain races, as much as PD have done a good job, having your own car lose all traction in moderate rain while some AI cars lose no traction at all on the same tires, is annoying.
When did PD tell you all of this then? I don't buy the regional approach at all given that races in GT dont take place on any specific day, so it can rain any day. Plus you have tracks like Brands Hatch without it, and I can assure you rain is very common there. As it is at Watkins Glen. Just seems very random.

It's always been this way as well throughout the series, not just GT7. They seem to have a completely different technical approach which gives them a lot of work for every single track, whereas other games it's just easily added globally.

Predictable dry weather in the US??
Oklahoma: Hold my beer.

I don't buy the regional approach at all given that races in GT dont take place on any specific day, so it can rain any day. Plus you have tracks like Brands Hatch without it, and I can assure you rain is very common there. As it is at Watkins Glen. Just seems very random.
It was first eluded to in the State of Play reveal (skip to 12:50) where Kaz states that they pulled regional meteorological data, so that clouds (aka weather) in Japan will form like it does in Japan, and in America it will form like it does in America.

Kaz then did a few interviews to state why it wouldn't be available on all tracks, resulting in the Americas (normally hotter/drier) getting no wet races, and Europe/Asia (normally milder) getting some.

Last edited:
Kaz then did a few interviews to state why it wouldn't be available on all tracks, resulting in the Americas (normally hotter/drier) getting no wet races, and Europe/Asia (normally milder) getting some.
Which is just utter nonsense and smells like an excuse that they simply haven't got around to adding it to all tracks yet because of how they're doing it. Some parts of NA are mostly dry, others aren't. You can't just apply that across the whole continent. Then as I say, races don't take place on any specific day so why can't we simulate the one or two days where Willow Springs is wet?

There is nothing special about the end result either, despite all their NASA nonsense claims. The livetrack system in pCARS works in the same way, and does a better job of it. On every track.

Like i say, this is not new for PD. They introduced rain in GT3...on one track. It's how they've always done it, for some reason known only to them.
What even makes “more” less sense is Dragon Trail - Gardens has rain but Seaside doesn’t.
As this also proves.

Last edited:

I guess Brands Hatch and Goodwood are in the Americas now then?! 😂

It’s just PD with its typical inconsistency. You want rain options for all tracks? Wait for GT8 and fork out another $70..

Which is just utter nonsense and smells like an excuse that they simply haven't got around to adding it to all tracks yet because of how they're doing it.
Thinking about this in particular is interesting to me.

For games like NFS, weather simulation and its impact on the road is basically "it rains, road gets slippy", where as sims want to go further and model how track camber and bumps impact water run off, which is shown how GT7 tracks have clear paths that form as the track dries up, as cars pass over and the water disperses.

For the tracks that we do have dynamic weather available, could we assume that those are the tracks that PD checked thoroughly that everything is simulated accurately, and the other tracks they just didn't have the time to, or have decided it just isn't important enough to implement and check?

I agree that weather should be available on all tracks, especially if they're pulling regional meteorological data, as other people have pointed out some of the American tracks should definitely get bad weather once in awhile. So the reason they don't, to my mind, has to be a query of did PD decide the time required to implement and test just wasn't worth it? Did they think the handful of tracks is enough? Maybe they thought not enough people would want chllenging weather on every track?

Thinking about this in particular is interesting to me.

For games like NFS, weather simulation and its impact on the road is basically "it rains, road gets slippy", where as sims want to go further and model how track camber and bumps impact water run off, which is shown how GT7 tracks have clear paths that form as the track dries up, as cars pass over and the water disperses.

For the tracks that we do have dynamic weather available, could we assume that those are the tracks that PD checked thoroughly that everything is simulated accurately, and the other tracks they just didn't have the time to, or have decided it just isn't important enough to implement and check?

I agree that weather should be available on all tracks, especially if they're pulling regional meteorological data, as other people have pointed out some of the American tracks should definitely get bad weather once in awhile. So the reason they don't, to my mind, has to be a query of did PD decide the time required to implement and tesñt just wasn't worth it? Did they think the handful of tracks is enough? Maybe they thought not enough people would want chllenging weather on every track?
The reason imo is probably that PD's system is "baked" rather a fully dynamic weather system, so they need to go layout by layout and configure where the puddles form, where the dry line starts to appear, grip levels according to the surface, etc. The drying line is a nice effect but it will always appear in the same places no matter where the cars actually drive, for example.

It's probably the same reason why we don't have 24h layouts in all of the tracks if I had to guess.

But again, Project CARS does this with their Livetrack system and it works on all tracks. As @Artremis says, it's most likely because PD choose to manually bake all of the elements into the tracks, rather than letting it be truly random and dynamic.

They should reprogram from the scratch all the engine. It is has the same flaws GT5 had in 2010. And in 2022 are seriously no sense. There is something wrong and it is quite clear.

Unless I'm mistaken they haven't added a new weather system to any tracks since launch. I think we all had a lot of hopes and expectation for how this would work as a 'live service' and that many things would be added post launch, but it seems that's not going to be the case and all we'll see from now is the monthly cars, occasional new layout and possibly a new track here and there.

I don't imagine they'll suddenly start adding things like weather now, 6 months into the routine, hell we didn't get any other tracks with the updated Spa pit lane animations and that was months ago now and presumably far easier to implement.. Not even added to the normal Spa layout.

It was first eluded to in the State of Play reveal (skip to 12:50) where Kaz states that they pulled regional meteorological data, so that clouds (aka weather) in Japan will form like it does in Japan, and in America it will form like it does in America.

I have a one word response to this: Florida.

The reason imo is probably that PD's system is "baked" rather a fully dynamic weather system, so they need to go layout by layout and configure where the puddles form, where the dry line starts to appear, grip levels according to the surface, etc. The drying line is a nice effect but it will always appear in the same places no matter where the cars actually drive, for example.

It's probably the same reason why we don't have 24h layouts in all of the tracks if I had to guess.
I'm pretty sure most of the tracks have all the data for the puddles, differing grip levels, etc. When the surface water is turned on all the effects are present apart from the surface visuals

Gran Turismo® 7_20221013172854.jpg
Gran Turismo® 7_20221013180246.jpg

Polyphony are the half baked masters.

A year from now maybe they'll release weather for Deep Forest seeing as they showed off the completed surface effects in that video.

I live not that far from where trial mountain is supposedly located. It rains and snows a lot here for what is considered a 'desert' by geographers. If they're trying to emulate weather by saying that the Americas are hotter/drier and doesn't have rain well news flash PD, the Americas are big places and have diverse climates. To me, I think it's all just excuses PD made.

Back