Wide wheel/stretched sidewall affects handling

• Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 3 comments
Canada
London, Ontario
voodoovaj
I was looking for this and didn't see a thread or post about it. I noticed it with the Merc 190 pictured below with the wide rim option on these OZ wheels, which as you can see, causes quite the sidewall stretch.

09119036912d1336e43f591c6f5f0a8a_photo.webp

So, I entered the Clubman Plus 600pp race at Watkins Glen (why can't all SP races be this good?) The car was ALL OVER THE ROAD. I finished the first lap in 12th. I checked my settings, started it again, and finished the first lap in 13th...but I could FEEL it wasn't the car. I could feel that it was like the car was driving on concrete tires. So, on a hunch, I went back and changed the tire set up, only changing from the WIDE rims in the picture to normal rims. I started again, and finished the first lap in 4th with no other changes tot he car. NIGHT AND DAY difference.

I tried it on the notorious 73 CSL, which i have had with the WIDE wheels since the game launched. I was immediately 1 second per lap faster around Catalunya compared to a time I set a few weeks ago.

SO, if you have the WIDE rim option, and the car is a little squirrely, I suggest trying to give you tires a little more sidewall give because, apparently, it makes a difference at the extremes.

Last edited:
I saw a video that explained the difference. Running cars with low tire profiles reduces the flexibility of tires when corners but it does allow for sharper cornering. The went more into detail. There’s alot of thing in this gt7 installment that many are overlooking. I love it because I can pick my brain.

The stretched sidewalls are mainly for photo ops. Though it does help complete classic replicas of cars.
images (9).jpeg

Just wish PD would match the sidewall to the diameter of the wheel. Every 10"-13" wheel doesn't have to have F1 tyre sidewalls for every single combination.
20970237207585118.jpg

I don’t understand how PD can’t program this aspect ratio for small diameter wheels & tyres.
1700565798527.jpeg

1700565742842.jpeg

It’s funny, PD had the opposite in GT5. Now we have an option for stretchy tyres, but it’s done wrong.

Back