2022/23 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 434 comments
Spurs have signed Middlesbrough right back Djed Spence in a deal worth up to £20 million, Djed impressed whilst on loan at Nottingham Forest last season and was named in Championship team of the season.

Arsenal have agreed a £30 million deal with Man City to sign Oleksander Zinchenko.

Borussia Dortmund striker Sebastian Haller has a testicular tumour, he complained that he was feeling unwell in training and following medical checks the tumour was found, he has only joined Dortmund from Ajax last month, hopefully he has a speedy recovery.

For US Premier League fans, Arlo White, who was the lead play by play announcer, has left NBC's coverage of the Premier League. He has joined LIV Golf as the lead play by play announcer. His replacement is Peter Drury which I have to say I'm looking forward to.

Also Rebecca Lowe has signed a new contract to remain as in studio host for the Premier League on NBC.

That LIV Golf is just throwing around the money. David Feherty has also left NBC to join as a commentator for LIV.

Me reading your message sentence by sentence...

For US Premier League fans, Arlo White, who was the lead play by play announcer, has left NBC's coverage of the Premier League.

What? Did he join LIV Golf? LOL <gets ready with a LIV Golf response>

He has joined LIV Golf as the lead play by play announcer. His replacement is Peter Drury which I have to say I'm looking forward to.

Oh I see. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Former Man United midfielder Jesse Lingard has joined Nottingham Forest on a one year deal following his release from the club, why only a one year deal? Well he will be the highest paid player in Forest's history with a reported salary of £180k per week, he was in talks about a return to West Ham but Forest snuck in from nowhere with that offer, its a calculated gamble by the club who will have their first season in the top flight in 23 years, and yes Lingard has gone for the money but you cant blame him after they offered that.

Arsenal have signed Oleksander Zinchenko from Man City for £30 million.
Nottingham Forest have signed Lewis O'Brien and Harry Toffolo from Huddersfield for a combined £10 million.
Paulo Dybala has joined Roma on a free from Juventus.

In friendly news Arsenal beat Chelsea 4-0 in Florida yesterday with Jesus, Odegaard, Saka and Lokonga on the score sheet, Barcelona beat Real Madrid in a Clasico friendly (if there is such a thing!) 1-0 in Vegas with Raphinha getting his first Barca goal.

20220726_085033.jpg

This guy has to be trolling, right?

I'm watching the England v Sweden semi-final in the Women's Euro 2022 tournament, and what a crazy game...

Sweden could have been 1-0 up after just 20 seconds but for a good save by the England keeper, and they had another good chance after 8 minutes. But England have played very well since then and are now 3-0 up.

But the 3rd goal - wow! An absolute belter as they say in Glasgow... and it looks very likely that England are heading for the final.

England have made it to final after an emphatic 4-0 win over Sweden, that third goal was insane, a back heal which nut-megged two Sweden players!

Man United have signed Lisandro Martinez from Ajax for £56.7 million
West Ham have signed Gianluca Scamacca from Torino for £30.5 million.
Fulham have signed Kevin Mbabu from Wolfsburg for £6.4 million.
Ben Mee has joined Brentford on free from Burnley.
Bayern Munich have spent £24.5 million on a 17 year old who has only played for 50 minutes at senior level.

A few bits of news today.

Starting with a reminder that the Football League season starts this weekend with Championship League One and Two starting plus the Scottish League starts too. Huddersfield v Burnley is the first Championship game on Friday night on Sky. Its also the Community Shield on Saturday with Liverpool taking on Man City, the game is live on ITV at 5pm and is at King Power Stadium rather than Wembley probably because of the Women's Euros final on Sunday.

Cristiano Ronaldo still wants to leave Man United despite talks with the club in the last few days, he wants to play Champions League Football and finish his career at the top, Chelsea, Bayern and Atletico have all turned down the chance to sign him and Atletico fans really don't want him! So his options are limited, If he wants go he can go, no player is bigger than the club.

Everton have signed Dwight McNeill from Burnley for an undisclosed fee thought to be around £15 million, seems like a good move all round.

Luis Suarez has rejoined Nacional in Uruguay on a free, Nacional were his first club.

How...

Just... how? How has this away strip reached this stage?

1659096133589.png

How did Birmingham City not see this?

Clearly they were paying too much attention to making the club crest look like a cheap sticker to notice the Third Reich imagery.

That's more Nike's fault, that shouldn't even be a template in the first place. Birmingham won't be the only team to have selected it without using their eyes, they'll now be teams all over the World who have this design (some probably intentionally having noticed what it looks like), just with different colours, doubt it can be changed either (at least quickly) as there are shortages all over the place. :banghead:

:gtplanet::cheers:

Liverpool 3-1 Man City.

Liverpool have won this years Community Shield, all it was all about goals from two debutants....and neither was Haaland! Trent Alexander-Arnold opened the scoring in the first half with a nice curled effort which was deflected off Ake, City's other new striker Julian Alvarez came off the bench to equalize which was given after a VAR check, Liverpool's new striker Darwin Nunez came off the bench to make an instant impact, first he won a penalty when his strike hit Dias's arm, Salah converted the penalty and then Nunez headed home from close range for his first Liverpool goal for the winner in added time, Haaland missed a golden chance late on when he struck the bar and he had his chances but overall Liverpool were the better team and deserved the win.

Erm...whats up?!
Penalties are punishments, not rewards. They penalise. They are part of the penal code of football. The word literally means "punishment".

You don't win a penalty, you concede one.

This whole concept of "winning" punishments for other team is part of the descent of football into whiny, play-acting toss.

Nunes looks sharp for Liverpool. Haaland was very active and had plenty of opportunity in his first competitive (OK semi competitive) English game with one of the best defences in front of him.

Once Haaland gels, he's going to be devastating to a lot of teams, I wouldn't bet against him netting 30+ this season.

Nunes looks sharp for Liverpool. Haaland was very active and had plenty of opportunity in his first competitive (OK semi competitive) English game with one of the best defences in front of him.

Once Haaland gels, he's going to be devastating to a lot of teams, I wouldn't bet against him netting 30+ this season.
Both looked impressive.

Haaland won't need any drinks tonight. He's already hit the bar...

Ba dum tish

England 2-1 Germany (after extra time)

England Lionesses won Euro 2022 after beating the Germany in front of record crowd at Wembley, Ella Toone struck first with a great lob over the keeper in the second half after a very tense and cagey first half, Lina Magull equalized to take it to extra time but Chloe Kelly scored her first England goal to win the game in the 110th minute, its England's first major international success since the men's team won the 1966 World Cup, and the attendance at Wembley was 87,129, which is a Euros record...men's and women's.

England 2-1 Germany (after extra time)

England Lionesses won Euro 2022 after beating the Germany in front of record crowd at Wembley, Ella Toone struck first with a great lob over the keeper in the second half after a very tense and cagey first half, Lina Magull equalized to take it to extra time but Chloe Kelly scored her first England goal to win the game in the 110th minute, its England's first major international success since the men's team won the 1966 World Cup, and the attendance at Wembley was 87,129, which is a Euros record...men's and women's.
A great result and a very well deserved win. I was fearing for them as it approached the end of extra time, as penalties would have been horrible. England were definitely the best side, and after that incredible semi-final performance it was great to see them go on to beat the mighty Germany and claim their first major tournament win.

That 2nd goal though, and the celebrations both after the goal and after the match were great...

im not crying youre crying GIF

--

Also...

Last edited:
A great result and a very well deserved win. I was fearing for them as it approached the end of extra time, as penalties would have been horrible. England were definitely the best side, and after that incredible semi-final performance it was great to see them go on to beat the mighty Germany and claim their first major tournament win.

That 2nd goal though, and the celebrations both after the goal and after the match were great...

im not crying youre crying GIF

--

Also...

I think having Alex Popp out with an injury really hurt Germany. She would have been a real threat on set pieces.

Interesting times at Leicester.

Kasper Schmeichel will have a medical at Nice in next 48 hours ahead of a move there.
Leicester have rejected a second bid from Newcastle for James Maddison, bid was in excess of £40 million plus add-ons.
Wesley Fofana seems to be hinting at a move away from the club as a Chelsea bid looks likely to happen.

Chelsea are in advanced talks with Marc Cucarella from Brighton in a £50 million move, Man City had a bid rejected of £30 million by Brighton but Chelsea have met their valuation.

Aaron Ramsey has joined Nice on a free after his contract was terminated by Juventus.
Chelsea have reached an agreement with Aston Villa to sign teenager Carney Chukwuemeka for £20 million.

Gabriel Jesus is reportedly the most-picked player in Fantasy Premier League history, in over 71% of teams. Arsenal's bonkers pre-season form and him finally being a first-on-the-teamsheet striker for a team while being underpriced for his skill has made him really in demand.

I ditched Callum Wilson for Jesus yesterday because they were the same price. I have a feeling a lot of managers have done similar.

I don't have Jesus, yet. ;) Probably will when I get around to changing a few players, he may be 80% owned by the time the season kicks off, madness. :crazy:

:gtplanet::cheers:

Back