2023 NFL Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 706 comments
I've requested Monday 12th February off from work so I can watch the Super Bowl live 🏈

The last few years I've watched it on catch-up after having spent the following day avoiding spoilers. But even if one is able to avoid spoilers, it's not the same as watching it live - and watching it live may require a few late-night beverages to be had, hence a day off might be in order.

My old boss was great as he knew I watched the Super Bowl and didn't expect to see me until after lunch on the following Monday. My current boss is not quite so understanding😒
I've taken the day after the superbowl off for a while now. My current boss has said that any time I need time off for a sporting event to consider it done, which is nice of her.

I've also taken this Monday off so I can watch the Rams Lions playoff as it starts at 1:15am on Monday here.

Today begins the path to a Championship. Congratulations if your team(s) made it this far! The remaining teams in the 2023 NFL Season will all play for the opportunity to play in the Super Bowl and hoist the Lombardi Trophy as champions of this season. For this journey to be complete and for destiny to be realized, teams must keep winning to prevent having to try again next season. That's right- if you lose at this point, your season is over. WIN OR GO HOME.

Having said that, here's the schedule:

(Games listed from early to late; #xA - AFC bracket team, #xN - NFC bracket team)

--- WILD CARD WEEKEND ---
SATURDAY:
  • #5A CLE Browns at #4A HOU Texans
  • #6A MIA Dolphins at #3A KC Chiefs

SUNDAY:
  • #7N GB Packers at #2N DAL Cowboys
  • #6N LAR Rams at #3N DET Lions

MONDAY:
  • #7A PIT Steelers at #2A BUF Bills
* #5N PHI Eagles at #4N TB Buccaneers

On the AFC Side, the Baltimore Ravens have a 1st Round Bye. On the NFC side, the San Francisco 49ers have a 1st Round Bye.

Get excited for the Playoffs! Hopefully your favorite team(s) advance to the next round and maybe even win the Championship this season. Any one of these teams in the postseason can win it all. Who, though? We'll find out who will advance starting today.

Enjoy the postseason!

[UPDATE] PIT at BUF moved to Monday because of inclement weather.

Last edited:
Browns clowned. This revenge game saw the Houston Texans lead 24-14 at the half. Houston ended up winning 45-14. The Texans had two pick-sixes in the 3rd Quarter. We returned the favor of them whacking us last meeting. I was fearful the Browns' defense would put up a fight. Well, guess what? The Texans' offense also put up a fight. CJ Stroud is the youngest QB to win a postseason game, surpassing Michael Vick. The Texans' defense had back-to-back pick-sixes in the 3rd Quarter. They sacked Cleveland four times for 40 yards lost. Cleveland didn't even score in the 2nd half of this game. DeMeco Ryans and CJ Stroud make up the fourth-ever time a first-year head coach and a rookie QB won a postseason game. DOMINATION.

Up next for the Houston Texans: AFC Divisional Round!

Congratulations to the other eventual Wild Card round winners!

1705198975888.png

Man, the Browns got wrecked.

You know what else is over? The Miami Dolphins' 2023 season. Much to the chagrin of our Omnis, the Miami Dolphins were defeated at the Kansas City Chiefs 26-7 in a game televised on Peacock. Both KC and Miami had identical 11-6 records. I want to congratulate the Miami Dolphins on their 2023 season. Sadly, it's all over now for the boys from Miami.

That was one of the worst games I've ever seen. Mike McDaniel is in over his head. Tua is trash. How embarrassing is it that we traded Tunsil for a dozen star draft picks, while Houston picks up Stroud and beats us to a playoff win anyway? If Tyreek played for Houston that dude would have 2800 yards, not 1800. I'm happy for the season and the Dolphins showing that they're not the worst team in the league for a change, but this is a fake team. Paper tiger. They just care that they have butts in seats so they get paid, but this team is not about championship football. Houston vs Cleveland was an incredible game by comparison.

Last edited:
That was one of the worst games I've ever seen. Mike McDaniel is in over his head. Tua is trash. How embarrassing is it that we traded Tunsil for a dozen star draft picks, while Houston picks up Stroud and beats us to a playoff win anyway? If Tyreek played for Houston that dude would have 2800 yards, not 1800. I'm happy for the season and the Dolphins showing that they're not the worst team in the league for a change, but this is a fake team. Paper tiger. They just care that they have butts in seats so they get paid, but this team is not about championship football. Houston vs Cleveland was an incredible game by comparison.
Miami was done when they lost to Buffalo. They had zero chance of winning the icebox game.

Much respect to Houston for the win. Once I heard it was going to be -4 F in KC I knew Miami was done. Also I think it was a travesty that the game was a Peacock exclusive. I could have spent the $6 to get Peacock but I don't do NFL playoff PPV. Unfortunately I think this is a harbinger of things to come. I really hope I am wrong. Anyway looking to the games today especially the Rams v Lions

kjb
Much respect to Houston for the win. Once I heard it was going to be -4 F in KC I knew Miami was done. Also I think it was a travesty that the game was a Peacock exclusive. I could have spent the $6 to get Peacock but I don't do NFL playoff PPV. Unfortunately I think this is a harbinger of things to come. I really hope I am wrong. Anyway looking to the games today especially the Rams v Lions
Unlike MLB, where the exclusivity must remain with streaming networks (Apple TV and Peacock), NFL has a rule where it is required to broadcast the game in local markets. For example, any Jet game that is on ESPN, Amazon Prime or Peacock WILL be simulcast on an OTA channel in the New York City area. The NFL has to be extremely careful if they remove the simulcast requirement as they could be damaging their own ratings in order to chase money.

Speaking of PPV, I believe the game is on ITV in the UK this year - which is a problem, as I don't have ITV.

ITVX, their online platform, is shockingly bad, but it won't work on the PS5 anyway (might be able to get it on PS4)... so I may end up paying for the game on PPV on DAZN or Now TV, if I want to watch it on the big screen that is. Still, I'd grudge paying £20 for it when I know it is on free-to-air - and besides, paying that much to watch it live would compel me to stay up and watch it...

-

I've done this a few times, but more often than not i still end up just nodding off at around the half time break because it's usually 2 - 2.30am by then. :rolleyes:
Yeh, the half-time break kills me - I'm considering it practice for the Spa 24h 😅

Last edited:
Speaking of PPV, I believe the game is on ITV in the UK this year - which is a problem, as I don't have ITV.

ITVX, their online platform, is shockingly bad, but it won't work on the PS5 anyway (might be able to get it on PS4)... so I may end up paying for the game on PPV on DAZN or Now TV, if I want to watch it on the big screen that is. Still, I'd grudge paying £20 for it when I know it is on free-to-air - and besides, paying that much to watch it live would compel me to stay up and watch it...

-

Yeh, the half-time break kills me - I'm considering it practice for the Spa 24h 😅
Be sure to get plenty of naps the day before! Also, you'll miss the puppy bowl!

Touring Mars

At least with live motorsport you’ve got the noise, the fresh air and all the ‘comfort’ of, at best, a fold up chair. Watching the Super Bowl in a warm house with the volume down low and either laid on the sofa or in bed you’re fighting a losing battle from the start.

Last edited:
Power and internet were out for the past 24 hours so I didn't watch any football yesterday unfortunately. But I hope to see the Cowgirls lose however unlikely it is :lol:

Oh and GO LIONS. That might be the best game of the weekend.

Jerome

Last edited:
Some AFC teams had some action yesterday. Now with today seeing the PIT at BUF game moved to tomorrow, today is all NFC. So the NFC is in vogue for Wild Card round action today. Later this hour, it's the Green Bay Packers at the Dallas Cowboys. The game later tonight is Joey D's Detroit Lions hosting the Los Angeles Rams.

Enjoy today's games!

Last edited:
I hate the Packers, but my hate for the Cowboys trumps my Packers hate. I am loving this.

**DALLAS WAS JUST GIVEN AN INELIGIBLE MAN DOWNFIELD PENALTY ON A 2PT CONVERSION!!

turntables GIF

Last edited:
The Dallas Cowboys are DONE. Yep- the Cowboys were down 27-7 at the half, would be down by as much as 48-16... end up failing 48-32. At least Dallas made it interesting. Green Bay becomes the first 7-seed to advance to the Playoffs since the new Playoffs format. Well, Packers fans... meet your next round opponent- at the San Francisco 49ers. As for Dallas, it's the same old song and dance for them in the Postseason.

Rams at Lions coming up. Get psyched, Los Angeles and Detroit!

I hate the Packers, but my hate for the Cowboys trumps my Packers hate. I am loving this.

**DALLAS WAS JUST GIVEN AN INELIGIBLE MAN DOWNFIELD PENALTY ON A 2PT CONVERSION!!

turntables GIF
Dak is an idiot. He should’ve run it in and there would have been no penalties. The dolphins have had to deal with ineligible downfield penalties a lot this year, because if you get a run look out of the triple option then it’s too difficult for the linemen to sustain their blocks and not be 2 yards upfield.
That has to cost McCarthy his job. I don't see any way out for him after this debacle.
I think McCarthy did enough offensively but that defense was just… broken. Most of GB’s points were off of completely busted coverages. Dan Quinn was rumored to be the next head coach of the Seahawks but how do you answer for your squad’s performance? Unlike the Dolphins under offensive genius McDaniel, the Cowboys still wound up putting 32 points on the board. Is the blame for the turnovers and pick-sixes on McCarthy or Prescott? I’m sure we’ll hear all about it for the next 6 months with these annoying ass Cowboys fans. 🤣

@Joey D Congrats buddy!

Now I just need the Bucs to take care of business and then I don't care who wins it all. I'm still cheering for those underdog Lions though, and I think it'd be great if the Texans took down the mighty Ravens if/when they play them.

Jerome

Last edited:
@Joey D WE ARE ON THE MCDC HYPE TRAIN FULL SPEED AHEAD GOOD BUDDY.

Really stoked for the Lions and all their poor fans who have been waiting for this for 32 years, especially with all they've gone through with the abrupt departures of GOAT-caliber stars like Barry and Calvin.

Packers cowboys was a fun game and I really enjoyed it, Rams Lions not so much.

Our defense didn't turn up for much of the first half, and our red zone offense was missing the whole game. Bret Maher getting 3 for 3 was good considering our kicking maladies this season, but we needed a couple of those field goals to be touchdowns.

While I'm not exactly going to offer @Joey D congratulations, I'll be supporting the Lions and Goff from now.

Today is not only my birthday, but it is also the final day of the Wild Card round of the Playoffs. I learned that based on what happens today between Pittsburgh at Buffalo, my Texans will be at BAL Ravens (if BUF wins) or at the KC Chiefs (if PIT wins).

Today's games:
  • #7A PIT Steelers at #2A BUF Bills
  • #5N PHI Eagles at #4N TB Buccaneers

Do any of you look around on social media or watch stuff on reactions to what happens after games or game recaps? I tend to mostly look on Facebook, X/Twitter, and YouTube for reactions to wins and losses. I also tend to watch all of those Locked On channels for reactions. I surely saw social media jump all over the Dallas Cowboys when they failed more epically than the final score of GB at DAL was. I usually see the winner reactions followed by the loser reactions. If my team fails, I sometimes look to my team and then the winner. Just something to keep you busy online.

Anyhow, enjoy today's action!

Man, I ended up drinking too much last night. I'm glad today's a holiday so I don't have to work.

Honestly, I haven't been this excited about any game in a long time. Even if the Lions lose next weekend, I don't care. But I really hope they play the Eagles so we can get revenge on Matt Patricia. We'll get rolled by the 49ers, but whatever. We can buy a secondary in the off season and they we can cook next year.

Man, I ended up drinking too much last night. I'm glad today's a holiday so I don't have to work.

Honestly, I haven't been this excited about any game in a long time. Even if the Lions lose next weekend, I don't care. But I really hope they play the Eagles so we can get revenge on Matt Patricia. We'll get rolled by the 49ers, but whatever. We can buy a secondary in the off season and they we can cook next year.
You never know what may happen yet this postseason. My Bengals went 31 years between playoff wins and somehow how made it all the way to the Super Bowl, which absolutely no one was expecting, even Bengal fans.

There are some striking resemblances between the two teams in their droughts. Detroit had more success in the 90's, Bengals in the 2000-10's. Then both struggled in the late 2010's.
playoff droughts.JPG

2011-2015 was incredibly frustrating as a Cincy fan...it was tiresome watching them have enough success to make it to the playoffs 5 straight season only to get bounced in the first round EVERY time. And Marvin Lewis with this face on the sideline during every loss. :lol:
93074907_original.jpg

Nobody pay any mind to the fact that the Dolphins are now the most playoff-impoverished franchise in the NFL.

Back