2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 553 comments
While I'm happy to see him back, it doesn't really sit well with me how Red Bull decided to cut DeVries out "effective immediately"
It's not like there's a precedent there or anything... They've done it to Kvyat, Gasly and Albon. I fully expect them to get rid of Perez by the end of the season, and I can't see Yuki staying at AT very long, especially since he's there because of the Honda (RBRPT I should say) deal. Basically in the last few years, if your last name is not Verstappen, you might as well be no-one to RBR.

Thought I was seeing things. Ricciardo? Back? 'Scuse me for a moment...

excited-rapunzel.gif

Not forgetting Antonio Felix Da Costa, who was perfect for that 2014 seat until he got shafted for Kvyat, who really proved not to be up to the task at all, while Felix was great in everything he has done since.

Rumor has it, DeVries was going to get the boot anyway comes mid season break. First in line for the seat was Liam Lawson but Ricciardo was offered the seat on the conditions that he takes over now. Had he waited til the summer break or end of the year, the seat would have gone to Liam. Apparently it wasn't just Horner who didn't like DeVries, Tost has not been a fan either even before the decision was made to sign him. I guess that must have been reason enough for them to remove him from that seat so swiftly.

I guess now I have one more thing to keep a watch for the rest of the season.
- How will Ricciardo fare for the remainder of the season? Will his career officially vanish into nothingness or will he perform well enough so another Red Bull driver could get the boot?

Drive to Survive better has an episode dedicated to this farce! 😂

Last edited:
A story that’s hidden in all of the driver drama is there really isn’t a whole lot of young prospects out there anymore is there?

I feel like we’ll see Vettel back in F1 before we see another young phenom join the grid. Drugovich seems to be the biggest name out there, but I feel like he’s probably linked to the last team that will have a race seat available.

A story that’s hidden in all of the driver drama is there really isn’t a whole lot of young prospects out there anymore is there?

I feel like we’ll see Vettel back in F1 before we see another young phenom join the grid. Drugovich seems to be the biggest name out there, but I feel like he’s probably linked to the last team that will have a race seat available.
Part of the problem is too few teams have too many proteges on the cards. Red Bull, Alpine, Williams, even Red Bull with AlphaTauri, they aren't so much a B-Team anymore as much their own entity that occasionally benefits the main team. With such limited seats and a recent influx of great talent (Leclerc, Russel, Norris, Albon, Tsunoda, Piastri). As drivers have started arriving to F1 younger, seats stay held for longer and chances to get in dry up.

F1 desperately needs a couple more teams in my opinion.

Older drivers being fast is also a problem for this bottleneck. I am a proper mark for Fernando Alonso but I was against his return to F1 because I didn't want him to decay his legacy by trundling around in the lower midfield, or worse, for no reason. He's an example, an exceptional example sure but an example nonetheless, that if you're fast enough, you're still good enough no matter how old you are. He is clearly still fast enough to justify a place in F1 despite being in his 40s.

If only there were two more teams to allow space for four more drivers on the grid...

I’m stoked to see Ricciardo back on the grid. That’s a very intriguing team mate battle.

Also, assuming he stays for 2024. AT will be rebranded and take as many parts as possible from RBR. So he may have a pretty good car.

Last edited:
I’m stoked to see Ricciardo back on the grid. That’s a very intriguing team mate battle.

Also, assuming he stays for 2024. AT will be rebranded and take as many parts as possible from RBR. So he may have a pretty good car.
Exactly. Either way, if he drives well, my bet is he will be back in the Red Bull in either 2024 or 2025. It's just great to see him back on the grid.

Anyone who doubts his talent probably only started following F1 because of Drive to Survive. He is the real deal and has been since his debut for HRT in 2011.

According to the articles online, the decision was finalized about an hour or so after Horner called Helmet to say Riccardo's test is going great.

Ricciardo laughs allot, has a great smile and is cool. So he deserves another shot with Red Bull. Even though Max and Lando dusted him for like 5 years straight.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about one thing lately.

F1 drivers want to drive for Ferrari for the prestige the team has.
But realistically would anyone want to drive for Ferrari in this day and age if they had other options like McLaren, Red Bull, Aston Martin or Mercedes knowing how they are with strategies.

But realistically would anyone want to drive for Ferrari in this day and age if they had other options like McLaren, Red Bull, Aston Martin or Mercedes knowing how they are with strategies.
Yes, because they all think they will be the one who can fix the problems.

Screenshot_20230725_214234_Gallery.jpg

There is a prestige that comes with it, but there's also a level of safety too. They are not known for having a high turn over of drivers, and they tend to be well paid for the 'privilege' too, due to the fact that they're not known for employing unknown quantities. You know you are likely to always be at the sharp end, even if championships or just wins are not likely. I can't think off the top of my head of any driver whose F1 career was spoilt by taking a full time drive for the scuderia.

Last edited:
I can't think off the top of my head of any driver whose F1 career was spoilt by taking a full time drive for the scuderia.
Capelli and Johansson. It was obviously Capelli's fault and not the wonderful 1992 Ferrari and Johansson is absolutely not a seat-warmer.

But I accept the point mentioned before; you'll usually get 2-3 years guaranteed and paid extremely well out of it.

The point about "everyone" being a Ferrari fan is delusional though. I couldn't give a toss if they turned into Brabham or walked away to focus on the WEC.

Fisichella had just pretty much saved his career pretty much at Spa 2009. He moved to Ferrari to finish the season and was instantly anonymous again and never raced after the end of that season.

Back