2024 Touring Car Thread - BTCC, TCR, and more.Touring Cars 

Just checked the weather forecast for Sunday's opening rounds at Donington

Celebration Racing GIF by The NAPA Network
As wet as 2023?

Donington is at its best when it's a bit moist.

Definitely, last year's race was epic and there's rarely been a bad race at Donington in the wet. I was fortunate enough to see last year's race in person, witnessed Nic Hamiltons super drive. Sadly haven't been able to go this year, but I plan to go to a couple of the rounds later this year if I can 🤞.

Rest in Peace Alan Minshaw 1935-2024

1983 Class C Champion and outright Runner-up (after the TWR Rovers were excluded)

Also famous for his BMW launching over the tyre barrier at Oulton Park in 1988 after a collision with Frank Sytner.

Huff out of qualifying because the car wasn't in the pit lane at the start of the session, ridiculous ruling.

Conditions have made it tricky for the drivers, especially group 1. Good performance from Deleon so far.

The new qualifying format is definitely going to take some getting used to, but I'd say it worked. Certainly caught people and teams out, NAPA most notably. But it shook the grid up, and that was with everything on a level playing field.

The forecast for tomorrow is supposed to be torrential, so all 3 races may yet throw more drama tomorrow.

Torrential is an understatement - Donington is basically underwater
Can confirm, I've been trying to avoid getting soaked at McLeans all morning. The track is a bit less puddly than it was earlier, the rain has eased for the last half an hour.

*It's not too bad at the moment relative to this morning. It's the spray and the rivers across the Craners that are the biggest concern.

*Given the conditions this morning were akin to a powerboat event

Last edited:
*It's not too bad at the moment relative to this morning. It's the spray and the rivers across the Craners that are the biggest concern.

*Given the conditions this morning were akin to a powerboat event
Yeah Huff and Smiley have already gone off at Old Hairpin after going through the standing water. Hopefully getting cars through it will clear it a bit.

Definitely, the most effective way of clearing this standing water will be having cars circulating on full wets. But obviously the danger comes when all cars are together under racing conditions.

Race 1 about to start. Bit damp but no boat required.

And a safety car after a crash in sector 1 - BTCC is back!

Last edited:
Barely going to be a race to run once they finally fix the barrier. Don’t know why a red flag is not an option.

The procedure of a red flag stoppage probably takes a bit longer compared to an extended SC period. At least that's my initial assumption.

The procedure of a red flag stoppage probably takes a bit longer compared to an extended SC period. At least that's my initial assumption.
Should have been red flagged as soon as it was clear a Marshall was hurt. This has been a bit of a farce.

Respectfully disagree, it was an evolving situation as the repairs were going on.
Safety car was out end of lap 1, marshall was sitting on the floor for most of the period, not only was it dangerous for him but dangerous for the medical staff and we lost most of the race. Should have been Red flagged as soon as the Marshall went down.

I think he should be penalised in some way or another.
Just checking, given what some may regard as karma and our requirements for this subforum:
Nothing vexatious about that!
I'm not sure how there would be. Odd choice of word.

Back