amateur photo thread.

• Thread starter Conbon14
  • 1,845 comments
A few from the British GT Practice at Silverstone yesterday. Had tickets for today as well, but Jesus do I hate Silverstone ... literally couldn't bring myself to go.
IMG_0120g.JPG
IMG_9190g.JPG
IMG_9345gg.JPG
IMG_9659gg.JPG
IMG_9698gg.JPG
IMG_9773g.JPG
IMG_9828gg.JPG
IMG_9832gg.JPG
IMG_9870gg.JPG

Trackside air-conditioned boxes for millionaires to buy ...

IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG

The peasants get locked grandstands and legionnaire's disease...

IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG

Couldn't agree more. Worst track in the UK for spectators in my opinion, overpriced and absolutely soulless.
Yup, I'd pretty much agree. That's not to say other venues are perfect, and I understand safety acts as impetus for some decisions, but as the UK's 'flagship' circuit, the experience it offers is nowhere near good enough. I'd literally rather go anywhere else - I'm local to Silverstone, it's a shame Knockhill is so far away!

Silverstone can't really get much worse for amateur photographers than it already was, mostly because of catch fences - which is just unavoidable as an F1 venue, but with more and more fences creeping in at MSV circuits, it really does suck the fun out of the experience, especially when you're having to perch yourself atop other fences, in the rain, to try and get a clean shot. They've recently removed some of the photographers windows in the fences at Silverstone too.

Yup, I'd pretty much agree. That's not to say other venues are perfect, and I understand safety acts as impetus for some decisions, but as the UK's 'flagship' circuit, the experience it offers is nowhere near good enough. I'd literally rather go anywhere else - I'm local to Silverstone, it's a shame Knockhill is so far away!

Silverstone can't really get much worse for amateur photographers than it already was, mostly because of catch fences - which is just unavoidable as an F1 venue, but with more and more fences creeping in at MSV circuits, it really does suck the fun out of the experience, especially when you're having to perch yourself atop other fences, in the rain, to try and get a clean shot. They've recently removed some of the photographers windows in the fences at Silverstone too.
Castle Combe for the win for photographers, you can walk around the entire circuit, loads of spots you can photograph from that look over the catch-fencing and the most open paddock of any circuit I've been to. Well worth a trip with a camera or six.

Castle Combe for the win for photographers, you can walk around the entire circuit, loads of spots you can photograph from that look over the catch-fencing and the most open paddock of any circuit I've been to. Well worth a trip with a camera or six.
Lydden Hill tops Castle Combe for me; waist high fence for 95% of the circuit and a short distance between the spectator areas and the track. There is a small section closed off at the moment (for tree felling), otherwise you can get around the whole thing.

Goodwood is mainly low fencing around the perimeter as well (the general layout there is very reminiscent of Combe to me). Some of the spectator lines are a little further back, but still a ton of decent spots.

Brands Hatch was great, but they are slowly ruining all the best spots. Still the best of the MSV circuits for spectator photography in my opinion, but I wonder how long that will be true.

Snetterton had a few good spots, but I haven't been there for a few years, so I am not sure if that is still the case. Still a few low fences at Croft and Thruxton, but only a portion of the track is walkable, so limited options there. Haven't been to Donington for a lot of years, but all the spectator areas I went to were a long way from the track and I was lacking sufficient zoom!

Low fencing at Blyton but very limited spectator area (and also the most bland background of any circuit in the UK!). I'm yet to get to Anglesey and Knockhill, I understand they are both a bit bleak but good for fencing. I really want to try Cadwell, as I have seen a few great shots from there.

Last edited:
Reading all that really makes me want to travel to the UK for a race or two in the near future. But I'd need to know before hand which series won't require a press card or letter of intent.

EDIT: I do know that the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series doesn't require both, since I've been photographing at the season finale at Circuit Zolder the last two years.

Last edited:
Reading all that really makes me want to travel to the UK for a race or two in the near future. But I'd need to know before hand which series won't require a press card or letter of intent.
Surely if you've got creds fencing doesn't matter anyway?

In like "You've got good creds, here is your accreditation" or just turning up to a race and shooting through the spectator fencing?
Sorry, I've confused myself with what I said, I'd misread what you wrote. Off the back of what we were talking about I thought you'd be behind the fence anyway. Not sure about getting accreditation here, there's obviously different ways of going about it, I'd imagine it's all very similar to over there.

Shooting through the fence is always an option though, it's what 99% of the people trackside end up doing, there's just better places to do it than others.

Just followed you Flickr by the way.

Brands Hatch was great, but they are slowly ruining all the best spots. Still the best of the MSV circuits for spectator photography in my opinion
Oulton Park for me. Since they closed off Stirlings and chucked all the catch fencing up on the GP loop at Brands I haven't actually been back.

I really want to try Cadwell, as I have seen a few great shots from there.
Cadwell is pretty good, as with Oulton, the topography really helps. Snetterton is still very open, but as with Silverstone, the backdrops are generally pretty dull.

Sorry, I've confused myself with what I said, I'd misread what you wrote. Off the back of what we were talking about I thought you'd be behind the fence anyway. Not sure about getting accreditation here, there's obviously different ways of going about it, I'd imagine it's all very similar to over there.

Shooting through the fence is always an option though, it's what 99% of the people trackside end up doing, there's just better places to do it than others.

Just followed you Flickr by the way.
No worries. ^^

Maybe I need to look into it for next year, since I'm already fully planned out for this year. Still got half a dozen events coming up this year in Belgium and the Netherlands, should I be accredited for all of them.

Shooting through the fence... yeah that's what I always did before getting serious about everything. Sure, depending on the track there are a lot of ways to take beautiful images (Take Spa for example, the last corner befofe Pouhon. Shooting down that hill can create some great pictures), but ever since I got accredited at an event for the first time in 2022, I never wanna do it another way. I'm that passionate about the hobby I do, I guess.

And thanks! Reminds me to properly update and tidy up my Flickr page. 👀

Last edited:
I never wanna do it another way. I'm that passionate about the hobby I do, I guess.
Ha, fair enough. I'm stuck in limbo where I hate being a slave to the viewfinder at events, instead of just enjoying them, and sucking as a hobbyist photographer and wanting to be better!

Ha, fair enough. I'm stuck in limbo where I hate being a slave to the viewfinder at events, instead of just enjoying them, and sucking as a hobbyist photographer and wanting to be better!
Feel 'ya. 😁

Though, when I attend events with friends I find myself leaving my camera at home more often. I'm there to have a good time with them, not for just taking nice pictures.

Back