Assetto Corsa in VRPC 

• Thread starter r3b3ld3
  • 368 comments
Is there somebody who has tried the Quest 3 with AC VR?
Is it better/worse/same than the 2?
Yes, it's better in every way! Far clearer, less compression, better colours, highly recommended

As it is so clear (I liken it to looking at your mobile phone screen) it does highlight AA a little more

Yes, it's better in every way! Far clearer, less compression, better colours, highly recommended

As it is so clear (I liken it to looking at your mobile phone screen) it does highlight AA a little more
Less compression? Interesting. Is there any data to support this, as the compression totally killed the Q2 experience for me.

Is is better out of the box, or do you need additional tools/tweaking settings to get it performing to its max? (i.e. Oculus Debug Tool, Oculus Tray Tool, OpenXR Toolkit, things like that...)

Less compression? Interesting. Is there any data to support this, as the compression totally killed the Q2 experience for me.
I'm not sure on data as such, but I did a comparison between the 2 and 3, and it was definitely better. I don't think it's a placebo effect.

I have seen other youtubers say the same thing.

I would like to see a comparison between a pico 4 and quest 3 for a DP vs usb-c with regards to compression, I'm in no doubt the Pico would be better, but as for the quest 3, I'm really pleased with the upgrade over the 2

Is is better out of the box, or do you need additional tools/tweaking settings to get it performing to its max? (i.e. Oculus Debug Tool, Oculus Tray Tool, OpenXR Toolkit, things like that...)
Instantly better. Things like reading the mileometer for example were far clearer.

It's a big step up in my opinion for PCVR. For standalone, yes the games look far better, but the gaming is limited. Us folks lucky enough to have gaming PC's really get the most out of the best VR screen I have seen to date

I do still tweak a little on debug tool, but only for turning off ASW and adjusting FOV tangent

Instantly better. Things like reading the mileometer for example were far clearer.

It's a big step up in my opinion for PCVR. For standalone, yes the games look far better, but the gaming is limited. Us folks lucky enough to have gaming PC's really get the most out of the best VR screen I have seen to date

I do still tweak a little on debug tool, but only for turning off ASW and adjusting FOV tangent
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the info.

I’m using a Quest 3 with a link cable but wondered if it will be an improvement using virtual desktop if anyone can confirm if they have tried both. Also do you need to run steam VR in VD as my computer never gets on with it that well?

Hi guys, I just installed AC and I'm experiencing severe stutters once or twice every lap or so. I'm playing on an Quest 2 and performance is really OK for 99% of the time.

I figured out what could be my issue, but I don't know how to interpret it or find a solution.

When I monitor the performance with the render stats app, the FPS is at 90 for the whole time, but the RED bar, which seems to be labeled SIM, shows a huge spike when the stutters happen, otherwise it stays really low and constant at the bottom of the graph.

Then, with every stutter, there's a counter that gets incremented, saying "2 late", "3 late", "4 late".

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I just installed AC and I'm experiencing severe stutters once or twice every lap or so. I'm playing on an Quest 2 and performance is really OK for 99% of the time.

I figured out what could be my issue, but I don't know how to interpret it or find a solution.

When I monitor the performance with the render stats app, the FPS is at 90 for the whole time, but the RED bar, which seems to be labeled SIM, shows a huge spike when the stutters happen, otherwise it stays really low and constant at the bottom of the graph.

Then, with every stutter, there's a counter that gets incremented, saying "2 late", "3 late", "4 late".

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks in advance!
hi,

here my tips for running Q2 pcvr (link cable) :

Do you have a Quest2 (or Quest or Rift)? Here 2 golden tips I swear by (for all simracing titles):

tip1: lower vertical FOV
To get smooth gameplay without having to resort to lowering the rendering resolution,
use the Oculus Debug Tool (in Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\ )
and set FOV-Tangent Muiltiplier to 0.7; 0.4 (default is 0; 0)
What this does is tell Oculus software to only render 40% of the vertical FOV and 70% horizontally.
This gives you a massive boost in overhead as the GPU does not have to render all of the image!
In all racing titles this is a perfect hack, as the smaller horizontal FOV does not bother at all. On the contrary, it adds to the immersion, because it feels more like you are wearing a helmet! :)

tip 2: turn off ASW !
A second thing I always set in the Debug Tool (each time you make a Link connection to pc unfortunatly , as this always reverts to default) is turn off ASW : "(PC) Asynchronous Spacewarp" set it to Disabled (default is Auto).
When on auto the software is going to turn on ASW when it detects there is no headroom.
So if you have Q2 set to 80Hz , and your pc can't generate for a moment those 80 fps, it's gonna switch to 40 fps rendering, and 40 fake frames in between each real frame. this also feels like a microstuttering, and trust me your better off sticking to no ASW (even if occasionally you drop to 70 fps , that is still better then going to 40fps at that time).

tip 3: stick w 72Hz and bump up the render resolution to 1.5x
Rather then lowering details or keeping render resolution to default to get 90 or 120Hz a bit smooth,
keep it on 72Hz and max out the resolution (1.5) in the pc Oculus app settings.

If you combine these 3 , you'll get far better picture quality and be able to keep a steady fps with less hickups...

hi,

here my tips for running Q2 pcvr (link cable) :

Do you have a Quest2 (or Quest or Rift)? Here 2 golden tips I swear by (for all simracing titles):

tip1: lower vertical FOV
To get smooth gameplay without having to resort to lowering the rendering resolution,
use the Oculus Debug Tool (in Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\ )
and set FOV-Tangent Muiltiplier to 0.7; 0.4 (default is 0; 0)
What this does is tell Oculus software to only render 40% of the vertical FOV and 70% horizontally.
This gives you a massive boost in overhead as the GPU does not have to render all of the image!
In all racing titles this is a perfect hack, as the smaller horizontal FOV does not bother at all. On the contrary, it adds to the immersion, because it feels more like you are wearing a helmet! :)

tip 2: turn off ASW !
A second thing I always set in the Debug Tool (each time you make a Link connection to pc unfortunatly , as this always reverts to default) is turn off ASW : "(PC) Asynchronous Spacewarp" set it to Disabled (default is Auto).
When on auto the software is going to turn on ASW when it detects there is no headroom.
So if you have Q2 set to 80Hz , and your pc can't generate for a moment those 80 fps, it's gonna switch to 40 fps rendering, and 40 fake frames in between each real frame. this also feels like a microstuttering, and trust me your better off sticking to no ASW (even if occasionally you drop to 70 fps , that is still better then going to 40fps at that time).

tip 3: stick w 72Hz and bump up the render resolution to 1.5x
Rather then lowering details or keeping render resolution to default to get 90 or 120Hz a bit smooth,
keep it on 72Hz and max out the resolution (1.5) in the pc Oculus app settings.

If you combine these 3 , you'll get far better picture quality and be able to keep a steady fps with less hickups...
hey, thanks for the tips!

i already have ASW turned off and running 72hz... FPS is really no issue... it's really stable and i even have headroom for 90hz if i want.

the only real issue is a very small "hiccup" every now and then, where FPS does not go down, but the game seems to lag behind for just a few milliseconds and then gameplay resumes normaly.

in the screenshot below, you can see 3 of these "hiccups" marked in red... do you happen to know what this red line called "Sim" means? also, what "5 late" means? i noticed it's a counter, but is it 5 frames that got dropped?

render-stats.png

hey, thanks for the tips!

i already have ASW turned off and running 72hz... FPS is really no issue... it's really stable and i even have headroom for 90hz if i want.

the only real issue is a very small "hiccup" every now and then, where FPS does not go down, but the game seems to lag behind for just a few milliseconds and then gameplay resumes normaly.

in the screenshot below, you can see 3 of these "hiccups" marked in red... do you happen to know what this red line called "Sim" means? also, what "5 late" means? i noticed it's a counter, but is it 5 frames that got dropped?

View attachment 1302590
hmmm... I used to have those, and it turned out my video card was suffering from heat issues... i replced the card and it was all fine ... to know if you suffer from this , use a tool to check if the cap is comming from overheat protenction... (your gpu will cut down power if it notices too high temp ) . I can't recall which app I used for this right now (cause I'm drunk as a skunk)... If you can't find a good tool to check , as me tomorrow and I will reply when sober. :cheers:

Last edited:
hmmm... I used to have those, and it turned out my video card was suffering from heat issues... i replced the card and it was all fine ... to know if you suffer from this , use a tool to check if the cap is comming from overheat protenction... (your gpu will cut down power if it notices too high temp ) . I can't recall which app I used for this right now (cause I'm drunk as a skunk)... If you can't find a good tool to check , as me tomorrow and I will reply when sober. :cheers:
i'm monitoring everything with msi afterburner, temps are normal with no peaks or changes with time.

also, it happens in my very first few laps.

still wonder what that red line means.

oh, and :cheers:

hey!

is that option called "navigators for some cars"?

i disabled that and did a quick run, 7 laps and no stutters, also the red line never peaked.

will test some more and report if it really solved my issue.

thanks for the help!
Yes, that's the one.
The stutters were driving me mad when those sat navs were added to CM and 'on' by default, it took me days of troubleshooting to realise that it was the navigator screens causing the problem.
I've had them disabled ever since.
Glad to hear it might have solved your problem too.

Edit: I did previously mention the issue waaaaaay back in August 2021 in the main Mods thread.

Last edited:
Yes, that's the one.
The stutters were driving me mad when those sat navs were added to CM and 'on' by default, it took me days of troubleshooting to realise that it was the navigator screens causing the problem.
I've had them disabled ever since.
Glad to hear it might have solved your problem too.

Edit: I did previously mention the issue waaaaaay back in August 2021 in the main Mods thread.
Thanks for confirming it was that option.

But as I tested more, I see it did not solve my issue. The stutters still happen and the red graph still has huge spikes. :(

Thanks for confirming it was that option.

But as I tested more, I see it did not solve my issue. The stutters still happen and the red graph still has huge spikes. :(
Sorry to hear , I'm afraid you are in for a hunt then, enabling/disabling options 1 at a time , until you found the one that solves it.
With 1000 options in CSP it's a drag and can take days as Masscot said to troubleshoot.

I personnaly would start with the options in CSP that have to do w limiting things when alot of cars , eg in General Patch settings, , esp. audio-related
1700400941566.png

(these are my settings , I prefer turning limitations off when possible, as I am running a beefy cpu and don't expect it to be needed.
It's counter intuitive , but could be turning limitations OFF could prevent issues as when things do get limited you may experience a sudden hick-up - similar to when ASW kicking in also gives a little freeze).

And second I would suggest you investigate as one of first things is FFB.
Try turning "Skip FFB steps" up from 0 to 2 or 3. (in Settings - Assetto Corsa - Controls - Force Feedback).

then again it could be ALOT of things... (this is why some ppl shy away from PC gaming and go for a Playstation ;) )

Good luck, hope you find it!
And let us know what was your culprit, if you manage to find it.

No, even at CM Discord they could not give the solution on that black ring, think its a failure in CM.
Pity because setting on max AA for the inner ring, the outcome is spectacular improved in reducing the famous AC shimmering.

No, even at CM Discord they could not give the solution on that black ring, think its a failure in CM.
Pity because setting on max AA for the inner ring, the outcome is spectacular improved in reducing the famous AC shimmering.
Yep - I had been tinkering with my VR settings for free roam with lots of AI and getting nowhere. Then tried VRS and thought "wow, that looks good, great frame rate, and look at the headroom! Just need to sort out the black ring..."

Thought it would be a simple setting or something I'd adjusted previously in openxr toolkit that was conflicting - unfortunately not it seems :grumpy:

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply. I'll be sure to post if I do get any success in the future!

Yep - I had been tinkering with my VR settings for free roam with lots of AI and getting nowhere. Then tried VRS and thought "wow, that looks good, great frame rate, and look at the headroom! Just need to sort out the black ring..."

Thought it would be a simple setting or something I'd adjusted previously in openxr toolkit that was conflicting - unfortunately not it seems :grumpy:

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply. I'll be sure to post if I do get any success in the future!
Maybe you could post it on his Discord

@Raphael87 How has your experience with the Varjo Aero been? I didn't realise they'd halved the retail price to $1,000.
very good experience, previously I was using hp reverb g2, and varjo has better sharpness, clarity, much wider sweet spot, no glare and colours more realistics

sadly, I can't set the Aero to maximum, because my 3080 doesn't allow it, but at 35ppd the experience is really pleasant (at 39ppd it's directly a 4k monitor)

if you have a pc to run Reverb G2, then Aero works fine for you, because the software is more optimized, so if you have a thousand euros left over send it to my account bank hahaha

it was a good purchase, only for vr loving

very good experience, previously I was using hp reverb g2, and varjo has better sharpness, clarity, much wider sweet spot, no glare and colours more realistics

sadly, I can't set the Aero to maximum, because my 3080 doesn't allow it, but at 35ppd the experience is really pleasant (at 39ppd it's directly a 4k monitor)

if you have a pc to run Reverb G2, then Aero works fine for you, because the software is more optimized, so if you have a thousand euros left over send it to my account bank hahaha

it was a good purchase, only for vr loving
My RTX 4080/i9-13900KF combo should be sufficient to run the Aero quite well in AC.
How are the black levels? The Quest 2's LCD blacks looked quite washed out compared to the OLEDs in my Rift CV1.

My RTX 4080/i9-13900KF combo should be sufficient to run the Aero quite well in AC.
How are the black levels? The Quest 2's LCD blacks looked quite washed out compared to the OLEDs in my Rift CV1.
Black isnt a problem, its not oled, logically, but enough good. Varjo is only for simulators, for other uses the best options is quest3. and with your setup you could use it at maximum, for sure

Right now, for simulation, Aero and Crystal are in another division from the rest

someone recognizes this issue : I see flashes of "black" shadowy things when looking into sunlights and moving head around ...
(and no it's not floaters or any other issue w my eyes... ;) it's really a render thing... )
I gather it's some new setting that is on by default... but I can't find it.

Check out discord VR section, link already sent, one guy finally did give the solution. Ridiculous several postings like here only no answer. The whole CM is become to fat and complex.

Check out discord VR section, link already sent, one guy finally did give the solution. Ridiculous several postings like here only no answer. The whole CM is become to fat and complex.
Many thanks - coincidentally I had just stumbled on your post and the suggestion in my continuing efforts to find a solution before seeing your post here! Looking forward to giving it a go 👍

Back