Assetto Corsa in VRPC 

• Thread starter r3b3ld3
  • 368 comments
There's what looks like a software IPD adjustment for VR headsets in CSP. Has anyone here ever tried it to fine tune their mechanical IPD? I'm wondering if it'd solve the eye strain I experienced with the Quest 2, which maxes out a few millimetres short of my ideal IPD.
hi ,

are you reffering to the "Extra eye distance" parameter in the CPS Mode tweaks VR section?

I tried those and it seems not to do anything for IPD , but instead changes the virtual perceived distance from your eyes to the lenses, making the world look smaller or bigger (world scaling is a term i saw elsewhere in other VR applications).
There seems to be a hardware hack that get's you an extra degree of IPD (69 instead of 68) in form of a 3d printed clip that excerts some force and adds a mm ... but further then that i think your best option is going for special made VR lenses you can add on top of your q2 lenses (i have some made for not having to wear my glasses inside the Q2), but ones that include "prism shift".
See this video on it.
If you do happen to find software solution, not sure it will be as good, because even at 68 you already perceive the edges of the single screen... so going even wider in software , you would perceive the edges even more.
With optical (prism) shifting you can even choose to pick the middle IPD setting on the Q2 (thus not seeing the edges of the screen), and have your lenses project that correctly onto your eyes.

Hope this helps!

hi ,

are you reffering to the "Extra eye distance" parameter in the CPS Mode tweaks VR section?

I tried those and it seems not to do anything for IPD , but instead changes the virtual perceived distance from your eyes to the lenses, making the world look smaller or bigger (world scaling is a term i saw elsewhere in other VR applications).
There seems to be a hardware hack that get's you an extra degree of IPD (69 instead of 68) in form of a 3d printed clip that excerts some force and adds a mm ... but further then that i think your best option is going for special made VR lenses you can add on top of your q2 lenses (i have some made for not having to wear my glasses inside the Q2), but ones that include "prism shift".
See this video on it.
If you do happen to find software solution, not sure it will be as good, because even at 68 you already perceive the edges of the single screen... so going even wider in software , you would perceive the edges even more.
With optical (prism) shifting you can even choose to pick the middle IPD setting on the Q2 (thus not seeing the edges of the screen), and have your lenses project that correctly onto your eyes.

Hope this helps!
Ah, thanks for the info! Shame that's not a software ipd adjustment.

Well I dislike VR, I dislike being in it.
Don't get me wrong I was blown away when i first tried it, just haven't bothered using it much in the 2 weeks I've had it.
It looks great, simple to set up, just as an experience VR seems isn't for me.
Certainly not for sims anyway.

I'm going to keep it as it was a steal at £120 for the rift S in great condition. (or i may chop it in for a quest 2).
Certainly AC looks the best for me in VR but I don't just use AC for driving, i use it for replays and fiddling and light modding.

I even tried AMS1 in VR and was about to use the GTR2 VR mod, but AMS1 ran terribly (cut fps in half) and have lost the care to fiddle with it.

On the one hand I'm sort of gutted its not for me, on the other I simply prefer pancake screen for my needs, its been good enough long enough for me so I'm glad it wasn't the game changer for me.

I'm going to download google earth VR and see if that can get me some joy and to find my sea legs as driving sims have all made me feel very sick.

I am the exact opposite, I think VR is the best for driving experience, being able to to naturally look in the direction you are heading is really upping the immersion for me. Even if the screen door effect or the narrow FOV of the Rift S isn't the best, I still prefers it. I just can't use it over long period since I get so sweaty with it. Dirt Rally 2.0 is even better with it than AC.
When I run longer races in AC I still end up running it on my TV screen. But hot lapping, short races, or DR2.0, I want to be in VR...

Last edited:
Well I went on a steam free VR binge, found some little gems which are well worth having VR for.
Tried AC again, I like it, but for exactly what you described, hotlapping and looking around cars.

I'm going to use VR more for sure, just not how I thought I'd intend it.
I'll try DiRT 2.0 next as well.

Try Project Wingman too, I am not a Ace Combat arcade flying shooter guy but in PW in VR its really fun being able to look around the cockpit and stuff is super neat.

Well I dislike VR, I dislike being in it.
Don't get me wrong I was blown away when i first tried it, just haven't bothered using it much in the 2 weeks I've had it.
It looks great, simple to set up, just as an experience VR seems isn't for me.
Certainly not for sims anyway.

I'm going to keep it as it was a steal at £120 for the rift S in great condition. (or i may chop it in for a quest 2).
Certainly AC looks the best for me in VR but I don't just use AC for driving, i use it for replays and fiddling and light modding.

I even tried AMS1 in VR and was about to use the GTR2 VR mod, but AMS1 ran terribly (cut fps in half) and have lost the care to fiddle with it.

On the one hand I'm sort of gutted its not for me, on the other I simply prefer pancake screen for my needs, its been good enough long enough for me so I'm glad it wasn't the game changer for me.

I'm going to download google earth VR and see if that can get me some joy and to find my sea legs as driving sims have all made me feel very sick.
That's a real shame @safi hellie.
I'm always disappointed when people don't get on with VR for sim racing. I want them to love it as much as I do!
For me, 2D simming was dead the moment I strapped on my headset. The immersion, the freedom, the 3D binocular view, the sense of scale, the sensation of speed, the fear in high-speed crashes... all utterly awesome.
Sim racing and VR were absolutely made for each other, I reckon. A perfect fit.
Going back to 2D is like playing a videogame by proxy, like looking through a letterbox with the rest of the room visible around it. I question how I ever got into sim racing at all on a 2D screen.
VR puts me in the car, on the track, at the venue. I absolutely love it, and new CSP and weather enhancements have made it even better.
I can't get enough of it.

Last edited:
That's a real shame @safi hellie.
I'm always disappointed when people don't get on with VR for sim racing. I want them to love it as much as I do!
For me, 2D simming was dead the moment I strapped on my headset. The immersion, the freedom, the 3D binocular view, the sense of scale, the sensation of speed, the fear in high-speed crashes... all utterly awesome.
Sim racing and VR were absolutely made for each other, I reckon. A perfect fit.
Going back to 2D is like playing a videogame by proxy, like looking through a letterbox with the rest of the room visible around it. I question how I ever got into sim racing at all on a 2D screen.
VR puts me in the car, on the track, at the venue. I absolutely love it, and new CSP and weather enhancements have made it even better.
I can't get enough of it.
Thankfully that change hasn't happened to me, i can go between VR and flat screen easy and actually prefer flat screen.
Glad i got it, VR is pretty spectacular for sure.

For me I just can't adjust to driving in VR, I think one of the problems is I have to re set the view pretty much every time and If it's off by a lot and i drive it feels all out of shape.
So having tested a really badly off centre view, and how that feels, I guess that even when i feel like I've centred it correctly, if its just a few cm's out then it feels like I'm not connected to the car.

It's like I'm floating behind the wheel rather than 'in' a car.

But like i say, I'll keep plodding on and maybe it will click.
In the mean time I'll keep up my enjoyment with the multitude of little free and cheap steam VR titles.

I walked around a Dali painting yesterday, which was pretty mind warping.

Thankfully that change hasn't happened to me, i can go between VR and flat screen easy and actually prefer flat screen.
Glad i got it, VR is pretty spectacular for sure.

For me I just can't adjust to driving in VR, I think one of the problems is I have to re set the view pretty much every time and If it's off by a lot and i drive it feels all out of shape.
So having tested a really badly off centre view, and how that feels, I guess that even when i feel like I've centred it correctly, if its just a few cm's out then it feels like I'm not connected to the car.

It's like I'm floating behind the wheel rather than 'in' a car.

But like i say, I'll keep plodding on and maybe it will click.
In the mean time I'll keep up my enjoyment with the multitude of little free and cheap steam VR titles.

I walked around a Dali painting yesterday, which was pretty mind warping.
I've got a button mapped on my wheel for resetting the view to whatever I previously locked it at in the adjustment app. Nice and quick and works a treat.
VR can take some time to adjust to and can take time to get your 'sea legs'. Motion sickness is no laughing matter for sure. I was pretty lucky, it took no time at all, but I know other people can suffer.
The latest CSP VR optimisations help a LOT with performance too, and there's also the vrperfkit to optimise it even more.

I've got a button mapped on my wheel for resetting the view to whatever I previously locked it at in the adjustment app. Nice and quick and works a treat.
VR can take some time to adjust to and can take time to get your 'sea legs'. Motion sickness is no laughing matter for sure. I was pretty lucky, it took no time at all, but I know other people can suffer.
The latest CSP VR optimisations help a LOT with performance too, and there's also the vrperfkit to optimise it even more.
Well I got my Mum to experience the Oculus demo where the T Rex comes towards you in the museum.
It got to the point where it roars in your face and she screamed, and I quote
"I don't like it, let me out!!"
She was fine after a cup of tea, and she said she felt like she was trapped in there....
VR basically paid for itself in that moment.

Another thing I've been pondering, and its hard to explain, but VR struggles in that it's impossible to explain or show someone what its like unless they are in it.
All the VR youtube footage is taken from the monitor screen which is always violently shaky and poor quality.
You can show on youtube how good triples look, or single screen as that is how we consume TV and film anyway.
But VR its impossible to show what you are experiencing.

Not sure how they can get around that, I mean numbers are very poor on take up, Oculus is on a loss of billions per year.

I guess, and this is deep, it feels lonely in there, I mean I can be on flat screen alone, but I can grab someone to see it, or take a in game photo or record it and share it....

Well I got my Mum to experience the Oculus demo where the T Rex comes towards you in the museum.
It got to the point where it roars in your face and she screamed, and I quote
"I don't like it, let me out!!"
She was fine after a cup of tea, and she said she felt like she was trapped in there....
VR basically paid for itself in that moment.

Another thing I've been pondering, and its hard to explain, but VR struggles in that it's impossible to explain or show someone what its like unless they are in it.
All the VR youtube footage is taken from the monitor screen which is always violently shaky and poor quality.
You can show on youtube how good triples look, or single screen as that is how we consume TV and film anyway.
But VR its impossible to show what you are experiencing.

Not sure how they can get around that, I mean numbers are very poor on take up, Oculus is on a loss of billions per year.

I guess, and this is deep, it feels lonely in there, I mean I can be on flat screen alone, but I can grab someone to see it, or take a in game photo or record it and share it....
I'm (much like Masscot) totally and utterly hooked on VR (for simracing for sure) since i do it with the Quest2... and am not able to enjoy the experience anymore "pancake-style"... because it misses so many aspects (depth perception none the least).
Surely anyone that preffers flats over VR did not setup their rig well enough and/or did not get over the initial getting used to phase ("getting your VR legs").
I started w Quest , and then moved to Quest2.
On the Quest i was not convinced , it was ok-ish. Quest 2 that's a different story. The resolution and lack of screen-door effect makes it (just) enough to enjoy simracing.
A neighbour of mine has Rift S and says that AC looks better on my Q2 then on his Rift S...

So I recommend you to try Q2 w Link cable (set at 72Hz and resolution cracked up as high as your video card allows to run 72fps without use of ASW! ) I keep Post processing off in AC as my 3070 would otherwise fail to always maintain fluent 72fps in AC.)
Imho Q2 is what's needed at minimum to enjoy simracing titles in VR...

Maybe you are not convinced because you are not fooling your brain well enough,
for sure immersion braking issues (low fps, wrong position in the car, hardware limitations, screen-door effect) must be at base of you not being totally hooked on VR :)

@Masscot, thx for the VRPerfKit hint, i'm lookin into that now!

I'm (much like Masscot) totally and utterly hooked on VR (for simracing for sure) since i do it with the Quest2... and am not able to enjoy the experience anymore "pancake-style"... because it misses so many aspects (depth perception none the least).
Surely anyone that preffers flats over VR did not setup their rig well enough and/or did not get over the initial getting used to phase ("getting your VR legs").
I started w Quest , and then moved to Quest2.
On the Quest i was not convinced , it was ok-ish. Quest 2 that's a different story. The resolution and lack of screen-door effect makes it (just) enough to enjoy simracing.
A neighbour of mine has Rift S and says that AC looks better on my Q2 then on his Rift S...

So I recommend you to try Q2 w Link cable (set at 72Hz and resolution cracked up as high as your video card allows to run 72fps without use of ASW! ) I keep Post processing off in AC as my 3070 would otherwise fail to always maintain fluent 72fps in AC.)
Imho Q2 is what's needed at minimum to enjoy simracing titles in VR...

Maybe you are not convinced because you are not fooling your brain well enough,
for sure immersion braking issues (low fps, wrong position in the car, hardware limitations, screen-door effect) must be at base of you not being totally hooked on VR :)

@Masscot, thx for the VRPerfKit hint, i'm lookin into that now!
It has nothing to do with quality I assure you, I've been using VR for other types of games and it's brilliant.
For me personally i have and had, no problem going back to flat screen.
Personally i prefer it particularly how i consume AC, which part racing, part fiddling part photo's part light car modding part replays.

I have had AC looking great right out of the box in VR, it was amazing, but i don't use AC in such a way as to just get hooked within VR.
I have many positive thoughts on VR since I got it, it's a fantastic bit of kit and i love how it sits there minding its own business and as soon as i grab it, its ready to go.

Personally I'm glad that for me its not rendered flat screen unusable. I'm glad as that is my preferred way to play.

Oh and Air Ride, i think its called, is astonishing.

Last edited:
Just ordered a Quest 2 (with Kuject charging link cable, vive deluxe audio strap/w/adaptor) and I'm now sifting through the literature in preparation. I'm running a i9-9900/2080ti/64gb/2tb SS and am hopeful it will be enough to make it a winning experience (compared to 65" curved 4k). I've noted the 72Hz option... anyone have any hot tips or add-ons to precede my first voyage? (should be here by Wed) Can barely wait.

Do any of you wear glasses? I see there's lenses available for the headset... Is it necessary? I'm near sighted and can see up close without my glasses, so probably don't need headset lenses?

Last edited:
I wear glasses with my Rift S, it only becames an issue if session is long and it will start to fog....

I want to upgrade to Quest 2 but I worry about the increase resolution on my 12700+3070Ti setup.
I also recently start to play Microsoft Flight Simulator and thats a lot of fun in VR as well, but it taxes the system quite a bit...

After a full day of hacking away, I finally got the Quest2 working. Trouble with no wheel/pedals finally figured: plugged the cable link into a usb3 port, but had to move something else (the wheel base, as I later learned) to a usb2. It didn't like that. It didn't show up anywhere for whatever reason. (not binding lost tho) Did another quick usb port cable swap (left the oculus link where it was) and bingo the wheel appears. Smooth sailing after that. (glad I didn't have to move 1000 cars out to run no-csp assetto)
A crap process unfortunately, but I think I'm hooked already, after an hour of driving. The ffb seems more relevent in there, the sound was very good (didn't hook up the Vive sound strap yet)
No negative effects from the goggles either. Born to it :)

EDIT: I will be purchasing the prescription eyeglass lenses for Quest 2... (nearsighted still doesn't focus without glasses.)

Last edited:
To all the VR drivers on here:
I'm running a stable configuration of AC at 90 FPS. Took me a while to get it at the level which I found worthwhile playing, but it's all good now.
Only thing is: In order to do that I had to turn off Post Processing in the settings.. which kind of bums me out.
If I don't turn it off, the FPS crashes to 40-45..

Anyone here who is running AC in VR with the Post Processing ON?

I'm running a stable configuration of AC at 90 FPS. Took me a while to get it at the level which I found worthwhile playing, but it's all good now.
Only thing is: In order to do that I had to turn off Post Processing in the settings.. which kind of bums me out.

I turned pp off long ago, before VR. Slowed things down too much, and was crashing the ACL-GTR cars. For VR, I've settled on 72Hz at full rez (5408 x 2736) on Quest 2. No aliasing, good detail. I ran at 90hz for a while but noticed alot of aliasing.

Last edited:

I can run the rift S at 80fps with post processing on, in fact I've never had it turned off ever in whole time I've owned AC and i used to have a lesser card than i do now.

Far too many variables to give a valid response, other than its possible.
What GPU out of interest? Mine is RTX 3070.
I don't use VR much in AC but know it all just worked at a 80fps no sweat without any fiddling from standard settings.

Most GPU's should be a cake walk with AC even with CSP and SOL.
The CPU is IMO the stumbling block due to how many AI it can take.

Yes on a G2 reverb. VR resolution set at 40% on steam vr. Drops in races between 60 and 80fps. I only have a 1080 GTX at the moment. Hoping to upgrade to new 4000 series later this year.

I can run AC with PP in VR at 120FPS (single car/clear weather), with a full grid and rain I can still get 45-60 which would allow ASW to work well enough for a smooth experience. you just need to turn on AC motion blur and not use extraFX. This is with a 2080TI
I am hoping 40 series cards will be able to keep 120FPS in all conditions.

Yes on a G2 reverb. VR resolution set at 40% on steam vr. Drops in races between 60 and 80fps. I only have a 1080 GTX at the moment. Hoping to upgrade to new 4000 series later this year.
IMO this could be anything, a wrong setting clicked in CSP, a use of badly optimized mods etc etc.
GTX 1080 should walk AC even in VR.
Its 8 years old now a 4000 series card just isn't necessary for AC.
My RTX 3070 is barely being used running AC, I am an unashamedly happy 60hz gamer though.
I don't run at 'prefer maximum performance' and my card sits at 1200mhz using about 50% of its power.
AC is all about the CPU and specifically the single thread power.
Building a rig around being good enough to run the worst optimized cars and tracks on AC is a fools errand IMO.
Build a rig around the most hungry AAA game on the market and the rest will fall in line.
People did this for years with Crysis.
Worked for me.
For example AMS2 is far more advanced graphically than AC, so if i can run 30 AI on AMS2 at max settings and in AC i can't, its not my system's fault.
It'll be because that mod track or those cars just aren't optimized well enough.
Throwing in a 4000 series card so you can race on a GTR2 track that's badly optimized would a definition of madness.
And lets face it most of us are racing on GTR2 and rfactor 1 tracks rolled in glitter a bit.

Last edited:

I was running a steady 80 FPS with an RTX 2060 super. My AC post processing was always on but my CSP processing was all off in graphic adjustment plus Fidelity fx on best quality old version. Used MSAA and ran well. I say was as i upgraded my GPU allowing me to get rid of Fidelity fx unless racing online

vr depends on a few things. number of cars, whether rain is being used etc. also fps depends on the vr headset in question. for example im using a hp reverb g2 on a 3080 at 100%ss with pp on. daytime i can get 90fps sometimes slipping into reprojection with everything turned up and 8x msaa. turn rain on and this tanks to 43fps which is just below a suitable reprojection rate meaning i need to run fsr at 88% or 77%. a bit of headroom is nice as some mods cars and tracks aren't as well optimised as Kunos content.

turning pp filter off will roughly double frames however rear lights are not as visible on certain mods. the clarity does seem to slightly improve though.

i have heard using opencomposite to bypass steamvr can inrease he fps by quite a bit but i havent managed to make it run yet. also using the reshade 4.9.1 for vr shaprens the visuals up by quite a bit without a huge loss in fps (around 6fps or so for me)

Last edited:

It's a matter of tastes, something I can easily get rid of could be the most important thing for you.

Basically I have two different presets per mode for when I hotlap or race.
1658939506011.png

When I'm racing against the AI (typically against 15 to 10/25 cars) I get rid of rain and lighting fx and use default weather controller, when hotlapping I can pump all the settings up a lot.

2070Super + Ryzen 5600x + Quest 2@native resolution (5408x2736-1.3x) FidelityFX@77%

EDIT: post-processing effects off is another game in term of visual quality, and I could never race without seeing other cars' brake lights

Last edited:

I was going to ask a similar question. I run with a 3080 GTX 45.1 fps on HTV Vive pro 2 (VR). I was wondering how VR users increase their FPS as well. Masscot may know.

I can run the rift S at 80fps with post processing on, in fact I've never had it turned off ever in whole time I've owned AC and i used to have a lesser card than i do now.

Far too many variables to give a valid response, other than its possible.
What GPU out of interest? Mine is RTX 3070.
I don't use VR much in AC but know it all just worked at a 80fps no sweat without any fiddling from standard settings.

Most GPU's should be a cake walk with AC even with CSP and SOL.
The CPU is IMO the stumbling block due to how many AI it can take.
I have a Quest 2
CPU is Ryzen 5900X
GPU is a RTX3070
So not super high-end, but surely good enough to run AC on some good settings... even in VR. But PP just kills it..

I run the Oculus Tray Tool 0.87 (run it as admin before you start AC)
Default Super Sampling = 0
Default ASW Mode = OFF
Adaptive GPU Scaling = ON
FOV Multiplier = 0,00 and 0,00
Force Mipmap = FALSE
Offset Mipmap = 0

Oculus Desktop Client Settings:

Refresh Rate = 90Hz
Render Resolution = 4128 x 2096 (1.1 multiplier)

Content Manager (v 0.8.2439.39630)
SETTINGS:
Tab 'Content Manager' : nothing special..
Tab 'Assetto Corsa':
VIDEO:
  • Rendering Mode: Oculus Rift
  • Fullscreen, resolution 2560 x 1080, 99,98Hz
Quality:
-MSAA: 4x
-Anisotropic filtering: 16x
-World Details: Maximum
-Shadows Reflection: 4096 x 4096
-Smoke generation: Maximum
Reflections:
-Resolution: 2048 x 2048
-Frequency: Six faces per frame

Like I said, if I enable PP, even on the lowest settings, the FPS just crashes...

I think the G2 Reverb tops the Quest 2 in terms of performance, isn't it?
I don't use Steam VR, by the way. Don't know if that matters..

Back