Best female artist is ?????Music 

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 197 comments
Well, the best is still Ella Fitzgerald. But a few others I've been listening to lately:

Courtney Barnett. (The line,"I'm not suicidal just idling insignificantly," strikes home).

Imelda May

Yuja Wang

I cannot believe on the female side in rock that Ann Wilson of Heart is not mentioned as she is one of the most powerful female voices to ever walk on a stage period.
She was in her mid 50's in the video with Underwood and in her other 2 videos posted here was in her 60's age wise when these videos were shot and still belting it out.

As shown in the 2nd video until I saw this I did not realize Carrie Underwoods voice was so powerful either.

Wilson got a vote in this thread. :)

Karen-O from the Yeah Yeah Yeah's has a brilliant voice and is very passionate about music.

Maps is easily their most powerful track.

YES I love this song and it took Beyoncé sampling the lyrics of that song for me to find that song and appreciate it!

In my opinion Beyoncé is one of the Best Female Artist of our time:bowdown:

Even the way she walks and struts on stage is so Powerful!:eek::eek:

Gaga used to be the bizz. PINK and christina aguilera (dirty comes to mind) are better to me than swift. But if it's just a popularity contest, then I can see how people prefer the blank slate.

Last edited:
Mariah Carey sparks yearly Christmas event in this forum, I'd say she's better than Taylor Swift lol
Honestly it's not a close comparison. Taylor wipes the floor with Mariah in every respect except pure vocal range. I'll take a 2nd rate Taylor song over Mariah's best every time.

Gaga used to be the bizz. PINK and christina aguilera (dirty comes to mind) are better to me than swift. But if it's just a popularity contest, then I can see how people prefer the blank slate.
Gaga has vocal chops, and she makes a better run at Taylor than Mariah, but Gaga isn't half the songwriter Taylor is. Pink's songs always lack a second gear. Pink's tracks always lay out great promise and just every time they come up slightly short of what they set out to do. Always leaves me with the impression that she under achieves.

Aguilera is a voice and that's about it. You have to be aware when comparing Aguilera to Taylor that she's not even doing the things that make Taylor great. Taylor has a great voice, it's not Aguilera's voice, but it is great. But Taylor actually writes... a lot... and across genres that musicians have rarely crossed.

Taylor isn't just a great vocalist (which is where the Mariah/Aguilera discussions come in), but she's a writer who actually writes chart-topping songs, and an innovator on top of that. Honestly Aguilera is a bit of an insult.

Number 1 songs:
Fortnight5/04/20241
Is It Over Now? (Taylor's Version)11/22/20231
Cruel Summer10/28/20234
Anti-Hero11/05/20228
All Too Well (Taylor's Version)11/27/20211
Willow12/26/20201
Cardigan08/08/20201
Look What You Made Me Do09/16/20173
Bad Blood06/06/20151
Blank Space11/29/20147
Shake It Off09/06/20144
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together09/01/20123

Since her first number 1 in 2012, amazingly the only years without a swift number 1 song are 2013, 2016, and 2018-19. 12 in 12 years.

Last edited:
I was a little miffed at myself for not listing Hayley Williams from Paramore in my original post. "Brand New Eyes" is one of the best albums ever made, and Williams has friggin pipes and creativity. Then I realized that my post was actually just before that album came out! :lol:

Back