British Touring Car Championship Game and Esport Series Confirmed, Scheduled for 2022

Wonder what happened with this? Just noticed that Stephen Hood is no longer the president of MotorsportGames and appears to have departed the company recently?

Feels a bit like they bit off a bit more than they could chew snapping up all these licences and announcing titles for each consecutive year, …expectations of seeing a BTCC title this year seems very very slim to me.

Think they should at the very least deliver a decent NASCAR game like they promised before taking on all these other mammoth projects. Confidence in them pulling this off for me is pretty low based on what we’ve seen so far sadly.

Wonder what happened with this? Just noticed that Stephen Hood is no longer the president of MotorsportGames and appears to have departed the company recently?
You're not wrong. His Twitter says he's left as well. Concerning since he was involved in the interview here...

You're not wrong. His Twitter says he's left as well. Concerning since he was involved in the interview here...
Yup. I only noticed earlier on after rewatching that older GTPlanet interview with him that he’d apparently left. Definitely a bit surprised and not sure who if anyone as of now has taken his role. I believe Paul Coleman is still with them and helping with the development of the NASCAR game.

…Wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve got Ian Bell lined up to be the new president of Motorsport Games to be honest.

I guess this could explain what’s happened to the future lineup by Motorsport Games. If a large portion of their development work is based in Moscow, with the war and sanctions heavily affecting them could spell huge problems for Motorsport Games and their upcoming titles.

Yup. I only noticed earlier on after rewatching that older GTPlanet interview with him that he’d apparently left. Definitely a bit surprised and not sure who if anyone as of now has taken his role. I believe Paul Coleman is still with them and helping with the development of the NASCAR game.

…Wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve got Ian Bell lined up to be the new president of Motorsport Games to be honest.
Dmitry Kozko took over (he was already CEO), apparently this was back in January as well.

The fact a guy with no game development background is now overseeing the game development division does not exactly inspire confidence.

I guess this could explain what’s happened to the future lineup by Motorsport Games. If a large portion of their development work is based in Moscow, with the war and sanctions heavily affecting them could spell huge problems for Motorsport Games and their upcoming titles.
While I'm sure the ongoing situation with Russia has impacted things, it also feels like they are using it as a "get out of jail free" card in much the same way some companies have been using Covid. They announced the BTCC game in July of 2020 with an initial release date some time in 2022 (so presumably Covid was already factored into the timetable). Now going off of how racing games based on real series tend to release in the second half of the real life season an August or September date seems like a safe guess, which would mean the game was 5-6 months from releasing when Russia launched their invasion.

Now, I'm not going to sit here and claim to be an expert in game development, but surely a game that close to releasing would be finished enough to at least give us some footage, which along with an explanation of just what they as a company are doing to make up for past errors (The horrific release of NASCAR 21 and bare minimum communication overall) and what they plan to do in the future to improve their relationship with fans would go a long way.

Last edited:
Dmitry Kozko took over (he was already CEO), apparently this was back in January as well.

The fact a guy with no game development background is now overseeing the game development division does not exactly inspire confidence.

While I'm sure the ongoing situation with Russia has impacted things, it also feels like they are using it as a "get out of jail free" card in much the same way some companies have been using Covid. They announced the BTCC game in July of 2020 with an initial release date some time in 2022 (so presumably Covid was already factored into the timetable). Now going off of how racing games based on real series tend to release in the second half of the real life season an August or September date seems like a safe guess, which would mean the game was 5-6 months from releasing when Russia launched their invasion.

Now, I'm not going to sit here and claim to be an expert in game development, but surely a game that close to releasing would be finished enough to at least give us some footage, which along with an explanation of just what they as a company are doing to make up for past errors (The horrific release of NASCAR 21 and bare minimum communication overall) and what they plan to do in the future to improve their relationship with fans would go a long way.

That marketscreener link says that Company President was eliminated... 🤔

Sounds very Russia esque to me. Did he fall out of a window?

Last edited:
Good, last thing we want is a BTCC game which resembles grid legends, hopefully a good sign it’s delayed but for sure those nascar games don’t look much kop

This was the game i'm intrested in shame but good it's delayed, hopefully it will be completed on release not like some other game !

Given MSG's recent financial results (it's a real doozy) it may be better that BTCC (as well as WEC and Indycar) pulls out of licencing now rather than suffer the NASCAR fate.

Last edited:
WHen I first heard about the game I was excited but after ignition not so much. AFter seeing some of the other stuff about Motorsports games I wonder how they were able to secure all of these licenses? I'm guessing they had some great salespeople, some compromising photos of some motorsport execs or boatload of seed money :lol:

The only hope is another dev gets the licence, these guys don't have good pedigree at all. I vividly remember trying Nascar when it was a free trial , grim.

Given MSG's recent financial results (it's a real doozy) it may be better that BTCC (as well as WEC and Indycar) pulls out of licencing now rather than suffer the NASCAR fate.

The Company expects to continue to incur losses for the foreseeable future as it continues to incur significant expenses to develop new game franchises.​
Accordingly, the Company does not believe the existing cash on hand will be sufficient to fund its operations for at least the next 12 months.​
:scared:

I know a few staff moved from Codies to Motorsport Games in the past few years, hope this doesn’t impact their jobs too much :indiff:

Think this was on the cards for ages to be honest, there had been total radio silence on every front regarding the game for months.

A part of me seriously wonders, considering these rumors of trouble on the homefront for Motorsport, and the fact that they hold the NASCAR console license (and tentatively, Indycar) how much they are sweating iRacing throwing their hat into the console ring with World of Outlaws. Considering both disciplines have deep ties to iRacing (NASCAR especially) it must be turning the heat up from underneath them even further knowing that more people are probably going to be interested in buying a full NASCAR/Indycar experience from a developer who actually somewhat cares about the disciplines in question, and make somewhat decent games that aren't simply only bought because they fill a specific niche.

:scared:

I know a few staff moved from Codies to Motorsport Games in the past few years, hope this doesn’t impact their jobs too much :indiff:

I dont know details here, so I'm just talking generally below (as an accountant/auditor).

It's not necessarily a problem for employees if the company is short of cash, it all depends on how easy or difficult it is to get more.

I have known fast growing companies make losses but be funded by investors for years where investors were thinking long term.

The concern is they got a massive load of money came in through equity investors. Which they then threw around liberally buying licences.

This is a common scenario, growing too fast too soon. What people running companies seem to forget is, just because you are given buckets of money, doesnt mean you should spend it all at once! Although equity investors can often push for visible "results" which can force a company to go out and spend (licences in this case)

Arguably, in the long run, the investors best chance of a return is to fund the upcoming games, hoping that at least one will be a sales hit. The only reason not to continue funding is if the investors think that is throwing "good money after bad".

What it might mean is focusing funds on the product (game) that is expected to be most likely to be successful sales wise.

Where employees are working on higher risk projects, they might be most at risk right now.

But a lot depends how long term the investors are willing to look.

The best chance for jobs and for seeing a BTCC game, might be a successful NASCAR in 2022.

Of course, another scenario might be selling some assets (licence in this case) to generate cash if investors aren't willing and the situation is severe. Hopefully not.

kjb
WHen I first heard about the game I was excited but after ignition not so much. AFter seeing some of the other stuff about Motorsports games I wonder how they were able to secure all of these licenses? I'm guessing they had some great salespeople, some compromising photos of some motorsport execs or boatload of seed money :lol:
Probably some sort of NFT Money Laundering Scheme.
They recently started a last ditch effort to save the company with NFTs, which is a bad sign.

While I really, really want a good BTCC title, I'm more concerned that this could well result in the end for RF2 and KartKraft.

Not getting a title that is pretty much vapourware at this point is a lot less of a loss that two titles that don't deserve this mess. Hell even the NASCAR series was competently entertaining before MSG managed to royally screw it up.

Last edited:
Here is another video about Mototsports games. Towards the end of this they mention that they lost the BTCC license not sure how true it is as I haven't heard that anywhere else. It would makes sense in light of how they have no release date for the BTCC games

Latest Posts

Back