Does anyone plug their controllers in?

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 12 comments
United States
United States
For many reasons I plug my controller in. The main reason is because it is more environmentally beneficial (Conservative lifestyle👍) I used to go through a lot of batteries and I did recycle but I don’t think that is the cleanest way. I also think it will save money plugging in and I don’t have to go on battery run ever. I do secure the cord so as not to damage the console if I am feel clumsy or forgetful.

For many reasons I plug my controller in. The main reason is because it is more environmentally beneficial (Conservative lifestyle👍) I used to go through a lot of batteries and I did recycle but I don’t think that is the cleanest way. I also think it will save money plugging in and I don’t have to go on battery run ever. I do secure the cord so as not to damage the console if I am feel clumsy or forgetful.
Sometimes. Can help with consistency of input latency and avoid wireless interference.

Yeah I get fed up of having the rumble on my Xbox controllers stop dead in the middle of something because the batteries are running out, in fact I just hate batteries altogether they’re such a pain. I just plug the controllers in, I’m sitting a couple of feet away from the console so why wouldn’t I. Much less hassle.

I've been plugged in forever. Guess I just go back far enough that wireless wasn't a thing so really it's not a big deal to just plug in rather than to change or recharge batteries all the bloody time.

environmentally beneficial (Conservative lifestyleđź‘Ť)
At least for the DualSense controller this isnt the case.
The controller will always use the battery, plugged in or not (it doesnt work with the battery removed).
So the battery will always charge which is actually worse than having the natural cycle of "nearly full" to "nearly empty" then recharge.

I know of older Xbox Controllers that could be used without battery.
But whenever the battery is not removed, it usually is not bypassed as this would make the electronics more complex/expensive.

Last edited:
At least for the DualSense controller this isnt the case.
The controller will always use the battery, plugged in or not (it doesnt work with the battery removed).
So the battery will always charge which is actually worse than having the natural cycle of "nearly full" to "nearly empty" then recharge.

I know of older Xbox Controllers that could be used without battery.
But whenever the battery is not removed, it usually is not bypassed as this would make the electronics more complex/expensive.
So if the battery pack goes bad the controller won’t function?

On PC yes, and the Xbox controller operates without batteries. On console I go wireless and have rechargeable batteries at the ready (they last me about 9-10 hours of play, less if I connect a headset to the controller).

So if the battery pack goes bad the controller won’t function?
Only if the battery is 100% dead.
As long as there is the slightest amount of life within it (enough to power all functions of the controller), it will still work.
But when the console (PS5) registers the controller needs new firmware, it might require more power as the console propably says "battery low, update not possible".

Also while the controller is not meant to be ordinarilly opened to exchange the battery and there is no official replacement available, you absolutely could do this in case it would be necessary.

I always plug it into my pc because of input lag but I use wireless for the PS5 all the time.

Last edited:
Only if the battery is 100% dead.
As long as there is the slightest amount of life within it (enough to power all functions of the controller), it will still work.
But when the console (PS5) registers the controller needs new firmware, it might require more power as the console propably says "battery low, update not possible".

Also while the controller is not meant to be ordinarilly opened to exchange the battery and there is no official replacement available, you absolutely could do this in case it would be necessary.
The time and cost may not be worth it replacing a built in battery….

On PC with an Xbox pad always wired, those things devour batteries, it's ridiculous.
On PS5 always wireless.

Back