DSLR vs Phone, the epic showdown

• Thread starter TB
  • 116 comments

TB

Space Lord
United States
NoDak
Cy-Fi
Now that I have a DSLR, I supposed I'm obligated to have a thread, eh?

As the title says, it's the beginning. It'll be a long road, but an enjoyable one (hopefully) as I learn the whys and wherefores of cameradom. With that out of the way, I give you my first offering to be picked over (but not picked on :P).

Apparently we can all just get along
legoj.jpg

Exposure: 1/25 sec, f/5.6, ISO400
Focal Length: 55mm
Notes: My son built a Lego ship and wanted me to take some pictures. Something about this shot struck me as interesting. I do, however, wish that I hadn't taken the picture on the couch as that doesn't provide the best of backdrops. Lesson learned.

Fish and chips... Americanized
fud2.jpg

Exposure: 1/60 sec, f/5.6, ISO400
Notes: The sweet potato fries were tasty!

Four fun guys
treepu.jpg

Exposure: 1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO200
Notes: None.

Storms a comin'
tree2c.jpg

Exposure: 1/4000 sec, f/3.5, ISO400
Focal Length: 20mm
Notes: When a storm cloud is overhead, I'm not the biggest fan. Approaching storm clouds, however, look pretty sweet.

As one would imagine, C&C is always welcome. And don't hold back, either. I can take it. I did some minor tweaks to a couple of the shots so hopefully my monitor isn't completely out of whack. If you see anything glaring, holler.

Last edited:
Congrats on opening up a gallery, it's always good to have more folks in this sub-forum.

Now down to business.

1st shot is nice, I love the depth of field but for me the composition is slightly off, the massive white disc is too distracting for my liking but could easily be solved by moving a little to the left.

I like the lighting in the second but I think it would of been better if you didn't crop the edges off the plate, still a nice shot however.

The third image is good, possibly a little dark. Also experiment with a wider angle on this one.

I like the idea on the fourth but I don't think it came out the way you intended it too, I think this shot needs a horizon so you get a sense they are rolling in, I wouldn't of known they were approaching if you hadn't said.

1st shot is nice, I love the depth of field but for me the composition is slightly off, the massive white disc is too distracting for my liking but could easily be solved by moving a little to the left.
Duly noted.
I like the lighting in the second but I think it would of been better if you didn't crop the edges off the plate, still a nice shot however.
I have no excuse for that one besides lack of attention.
The third image is good, possibly a little dark. Also experiment with a wider angle on this one.
I also thought it was a bit dark but when I was editing I was blowing out the sky a bit so I left it alone. :indiff:
I like the idea on the fourth but I don't think it came out the way you intended it too, I think this shot needs a horizon so you get a sense they are rolling in, I wouldn't of known they were approaching if you hadn't said.
The horizon would be power lines, a fence and houses. :lol: Apparently I need an entirely new location.

Thanks, SsU. That's precisely the kinds of comments I was hoping for. 👍

Congrats on opening a gallery! Not a bad start. I suppose the only advice I can offer is to pick up a book from the library about tips and tricks with photography, I learned quite a bit by doing that.

What programme are you using for your post production?

Congrats on opening a gallery! Not a bad start. I suppose the only advice I can offer is to pick up a book from the library about tips and tricks with photography, I learned quite a bit by doing that.
Thanks, Joey. I am certainly planning on hunting down a book. If anyone has any suggestions on a title, I'm all ears.
What programme are you using for your post production?
Paint Shop Pro.

Version 6.02. :ill:

Can't really complain much because it was free and has done the job for the last 7 years. I think the time has come for a much needed software upgrade, though!

I just went to the library to see what they had, I've checked out numerous books and they are all essentially the same.

You might want to look into Photoshop Elements 8 since it's not a fortune to buy. I use Elements 8 at work and it does everything I need it to do and even then some. I haven't tried to open RAW files with it but I assume it works very similar to Photoshop CS. I run CS3 at home which ended up being a PITA because it does not support the RAW data for the T1i, so I have to convert all the RAW files to DNG's. I really should just buy CS4 since I'm sure I could get someone to get me a student copy of it so I don't have to use a kidney as payment.

TB
Thanks, Joey. I am certainly planning on hunting down a book. If anyone has any suggestions on a title, I'm all ears.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting books that teach composition and general camera use, the internet is an absolute goldmine for this stuff and it's free. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php is especially good for Canon users and is loaded with info on your camera.

If you want to invest in a good book that is photography related, then you can't go past Hot shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes by Joe McNally. It's more so about light manipulation and it's definitely worth read. I know I keep banging on about it in this sub forum but seriously I consider this my bible.

Anyway, Nice start to the gallery. One piece of advice I would give is to try and keep your ISO settings as low as possible. The last two shots you could easily have at ISO100 and still have a super fast shutter speed. You will notice drastically sharper and clearer images at ISO100.

I look forward to see more shots TB 👍

Those are some really good shots TB, makes me very jealous of your new toy ;) Compact cameras just can't take the same quality photos.

Talking about books I've been meaning to recommend The Big Picture by Douglas Kennedy. It's a fiction book rather than technique but is a superb story and would be enjoyed by most photographers. :)

BTW I'm using Lightroom 2 which does most things I want although doesn't do in depth image editing, could be worth trying the Lightroom 3 beta to see if you like it.

I'm not a fan of the Lego shot. I think that the primary character just right of centre frame needs to be a bit sharper. Also, the OOF white disc in the right quarter is massively distracting for me.

I like the plate of food. The cropping of the plate doesn't faze me, and I think the depth of field is about perfect. The progressively less OOF fork leads your eye into the frame beautifully.

The funghi could do with another stop of exposure for me, although that could be monitor calibration my end (although I have looked at it on three monitors!)

Love the moody clouds, although I agree with earlier comments that it could do with a horizon.

Further to Achilles's suggestion above, I'm currently reading Joe McNally's The Moment it Clicks. It's perfect reading for the smallest room, as each double-page spread is self contained. It's informative and inspiring.

I'm also a Lightroom user. It clarifies all the workflow stuff, and the non-destructive editing is highly reassuring for someone like me who likes to keep originals around "just in case". I thought that Beta 1 of Lightroom 3 was a bit crap, to be honest, but Beta 2 seems to be much better.

Welcome to the world of dSLRs! Just don't come crying to me when you've got five grand in bodies and twelve grand in lenses, wondering where all the money went!

Last edited:
Those are some really good shots TB, makes me very jealous of your new toy ;) Compact cameras just can't take the same quality photos.

Talking about books I've been meaning to recommend The Big Picture by Douglas Kennedy. It's a fiction book rather than technique but is a superb story and would be enjoyed by most photographers. :)

BTW I'm using Lightroom 2 which does most things I want although doesn't do in depth image editing, could be worth trying the Lightroom 3 beta to see if you like it.
Thanks, evilneal. 👍

Just remember - if my wife finally caved on me getting the camera, yours will too. You must be patient, grasshopper. :D
Further to Achilles's suggestion above, I'm currently reading Joe McNally's The Moment it Clicks. It's perfect reading for the smallest room, as each double-page spread is self contained. It's informative and inspiring.
Thanks for the comments, GG! Hopefully the next batch will be an improvement, even if only slightly. The Moment it Clicks looks like an interesting read. I'll have to take a look at it. 👍

While it's likely a superior product, I think Lightroom might be a bit much to throw down for considering what I've already spent in the last few days. That said, has anyone tried Paint Shop Photo Pro x3? Here's a video of some of the new features.

Also, due to the age of the lens I'm having a hard time finding any info on it, but would this be worth pursuing (provided the lens isn't beat on)? I know it won't have IS and likely won't autofocus, but for $25... :dopey:

Well, you need to ask the seller if it's an EF mount or an FD. If it's FD, you can buy an adaptor, but that'll likely double the cost of the lens!

Well, you need to ask the seller if it's an EF mount or an FD. If it's FD, you can buy an adaptor, but that'll likely double the cost of the lens!
I talked to the guy and it is an FD.

_ _ _ _ _

Two new shots from this week:

That's the power of love Venus
skyx.jpg

Exposure: 1/2 sec, f/5.6, ISO100
Modifications: Cropped
Notes: I went for a bike ride a few nights ago and decided to bring the camera along for the ride. While heading west, I saw what I later discovered was Venus and trudged through a field to get this shot. I still need to clean the clay off of my shoes... :lol:

Donuts for Dads
sonid.jpg

Exposure: 1/640 sec, f/5.6, ISO100
Focal Length: 48mm
Modifications: Curves
Notes: My son had a program at school for the dads and I got this shot afterward on the playground. I think he was looking at an airplane.
63%C3%82%C2%B0%20and%20sunny%21

Love the Donuts for dads shot. I would have gone for a smaller diaphragm though (like f/8), judging from the exposure there was plenty of light and it would have made sure it was sharp all over. :)

Love the Donuts for dads shot. I would have gone for a smaller diaphragm though (like f/8), judging from the exposure there was plenty of light and it would have made sure it was sharp all over. :)
That's one of the things that I think I need to do beforehand - have the f set so all I have to do when shots like this come up (and it came up fast) is flick the shutter speed.

_ _ _ _ _

The Bridge on the River Red
bridgew.jpg

Exposure: 1/800 sec, f/4.5, ISO100
Focal Length: 21mm
Modifications: Slight crop, slight curve
Notes: The boys and I went to a park down by the river and took a walk to see if the bridge was down yet. Obviously not. This will give you an idea of how overflowed the river still is a few weeks after it crested. At the waters highest, the spot I was standing to take the picture was over my head.

Love how you title each shot TB 👍

I see the bug has bitten and you are doing plenty of shooting. I particularly like “That's the power of love Venus”. Great colours and framing.

Love how you title each shot TB
I need something to stand out and be different from you guys! :lol:
I see the bug has bitten and you are doing plenty of shooting. I particularly like “That's the power of love Venus”. Great colours and framing.
Hopefully I can keep this shooting pace up without cutting into anything important. On the plus side, instead of just kicking the kids outside to play while I clean up the kitchen or fold some clothes, we've gone to parks and for walks around the neighborhood with the cameras instead. 👍
_ _ _ _ _

Activate the lysine contingency!

Exposure: 1/200 sec, f/1.8, ISO1600
Focal Length: 50mm
Modifications: None
Notes: Walking with Dinosaurs was at the Fargodome tonight and it was, in a word, awesome. The animatronics were top notch, the sound went from soothing, gentle falling rain to good-lord-I-need-to-change-my-pants loud when the T-Rex bellowed.

More pics to be added to my shiny, new flickr account, for any interested. Once I go through all 135 of them, that is. :ill:

Awesome, more dinosaur pics please :D

That show came to Liverpool but sold out before I got tickets, v jealous.

Damn... envy...
Not to rub it in, but it was an outstanding show. I'm glad my wife threw down for the more expensive tickets as the sixth row was perfect. Any closer and the 50mm would have been too much and any further away... who wants to sit further away?!? :P

Awesome, more dinosaur pics please :D
As you wish. :D

That show came to Liverpool but sold out before I got tickets, v jealous.
If you hurry you might be able to score tickets to the showing in Madrid on the 28! :dopey:

Side notes: Because of this show and the close proximity to the purchase of my camera, I have come the the conclusion that I love the 50mm 1.8 and I'm currently in a love/hate relationship with RAW images. The amount of information you can pull out of them compared to jpg is incredible. The downside being that when you have been shooting only jpg for the last 7 years and aren't used to that level of options and editing it's a bit overwhelming at first. Any comments regarding the dino pictures from a post-production standpoint would be appreciated, as well.

TB
If you hurry you might be able to score tickets to the showing in Madrid on the 28! :dopey:

Side notes: Because of this show and the close proximity to the purchase of my camera, I have come the the conclusion that I love the 50mm 1.8 and I'm currently in a love/hate relationship with RAW images. The amount of information you can pull out of them compared to jpg is incredible. The downside being that when you have been shooting only jpg for the last 7 years and aren't used to that level of options and editing it's a bit overwhelming at first. Any comments regarding the dino pictures from a post-production standpoint would be appreciated, as well.

Madrid might be a bit of a trek ;)

From my unqualified point of view the PP looks fine but I couldn't really offer any constructive criticism.

The T-Rex shot you posted first is great, I like these 2 a lot as well 👍

4527860455_40f249414a.jpg

4528493344_f75d5199f9.jpg

I like this one. :)

*snip*
Somehow I knew you would. When I was taking that shot, I had this one of yours in mind. :D

Actually, I had a look at all of your shots of the circus before I left for some inspiration! 👍
Madrid might be a bit of a trek ;)
It's still closer than Fargo for the show on Sunday. :sly:
From my unqualified point of view the PP looks fine but I couldn't really offer any constructive criticism.

The T-Rex shot you posted first is great, I like these 2 a lot as well 👍

*doublesnip*
I think I may have pushed the post on the Ankylosaurus a bit too hard (on the plus side I could always just redo it) but I really like how the T-rex came out.

Thanks for the C&C, guys! :cheers:

Not so much artistic shots (like any of my others have been, either :P) but certainly some that not many people get a chance to take. We're looking into redoing the lighting in the Fargodome which means we need to document what's already there. That means going up on the catwalk 160' (give or take) off of the floor. I won't lie to you. Initially, I was a smidge queasy but within a few minutes I was bounding down the catwalk like I was on Terra firma.

My description of the first picture copy/pasted from my flickr page:
To get there, you have to take the elevator as high as it can go, find the one door in the entire building that gets you to the catwalk, go up 10 more steps then a 75 foot, 30° sloped catwalk then another 50 foot sloped catwalk and then meander your way out into the middle of the building.

Roof trusses. Lots and lots of roof trusses. And seats, too!

Yes, that is a lady pushing a flatbed cart.

The slope you walk up to get to the upper catwalk is steep enough that to get back down... you slide. :dopey: My calves and quads are killing me right now.

For both, click for larger. Also, if anyone is really interested, I have some others that I could upload, too. Most of them, however, were actually work related pictures!

Sorry for the mini novel, guys. If you couldn't tell, I was pretty excited to be able to go up there! :D

Nice TB, your work seem to take you interesting places 👍. I'm pretty much a chicken when it comes to heights like that so even more props to you.

Nice TB, your work seem to take you interesting places 👍.
Sadly, it's pretty rare for me to ever leave the comfort of my chair. :indiff:

_ _ _ _ _

On Sunday, I attempted a makeshift photo studio in my living room, this being one of the better shots I got.

There are some things I learned that I'll attempt to adjust next time but for a first outing, I'm not complaining!

That's pretty good for a first attempt I must say. It's a nice pose and the lighting is very nice the subject, now just to sort the background lighting out so the sheet is pure white.

Good start TB. I like the light coming from the side. I think a small additional burst of light the face would probably help give the shot a tad more life. Not enough to light to take away the side lighting but just enough to make the face and eyes pop a little more. A ring flash or ring attachment (such as this) would add a nice catchlight in the eyes.

TB
Sadly, it's pretty rare for me to ever leave the comfort of my chair. :indiff:

_ _ _ _ _

On Sunday, I attempted a makeshift photo studio in my living room, this being one of the better shots I got.

There are some things I learned that I'll attempt to adjust next time but for a first outing, I'm not complaining!

Needs moar fill.

Good start TB. I like the light coming from the side. I think a small additional burst of light the face would probably help give the shot a tad more life. Not enough to light to take away the side lighting but just enough to make the face and eyes pop a little more. A ring flash or ring attachment (such as this) would add a nice catchlight in the eyes.

You don't need an expensive-ass ring light to get a good catchlight. I'd rather buy umbrellas, stands, and cheaper flashes for that kind of money. The way I've been doing portrait kind of stuff is to bounce the on-camera flash off a wall or something, and put a big index card on the side of the flash head to create some fill and catch light. Works well enough.

I dunno though... I think it would look better if the light was coming from a different position. The key light isn't high enough for a standard rembrandt look.

Latest Posts

Back