EA Sports WRC: General Discussion

• Thread starter xX Jojje Xx
  • 2,671 comments
About to jump into the WRC in career mode, aside from moments and the demo club runs a few months back I've not really used the Rally1 machines at all. I faintly remember @RYAN mentioning something about the diff settings, anyone else have any tuning tips to share?

Comparing the 3 is incredibly difficult at the moment although initial impressions (and the TT leaderboards) suggest the Yaris has the legs over the Puma and I20.
Nothing in particular in terms of tuning for the Rally1 cars for me, the main thing is the hybrid use. You have to constantly think about it while driving to maximize its use and it can be quite tricky, especially if you're aiming for good times. I still struggle with the reflex to use throttle to rotate the car, as the hybrid cancels if you come off the throttle. Other times I get caught out by the extra power of the hybrid out of corners, which diff settings help with but don't solve completely.

Question for you lads using wheel.

What solution do you have for handbrake?
Getting a bit tired of fumbling about looking for the handbrake button on my t300 on hairpins, end up mashing buttons, changing view, turning on the beams instead and end up in the ditch.

Looking online and handbrake peripherals cost as much as wheels almost.
And I know you can use the sequential thrustmaster shifter as a handbrake but that's like 200 quid as well.
Is there any solution other than jery rigging something to mash r2 on a controller that won't empty your bank account?
Depends what platform you're on, I've a generic Arduino PC handbrake I picked up for around £50. PC only, but does the job perfectly, great throw range and fully analogue.

About to jump into the WRC in career mode, aside from moments and the demo club runs a few months back I've not really used the Rally1 machines at all. I faintly remember @RYAN mentioning something about the diff settings, anyone else have any tuning tips to share?

Comparing the 3 is incredibly difficult at the moment although initial impressions (and the TT leaderboards) suggest the Yaris has the legs over the Puma and I20.
Must say I’ve NEVER used the Rally1 cars yet and have piled 50 hours or something into the game (which I’m sure pales in comparison with lots of you) - it’s been older cars all the way. It’s reignited my love/nostalgia for the glory years of the WRC, ie 1995-2003 ish (in my view), triggered a really strong interest in Group B which has led me to read up and watch loads of videos about that era and made me a much more knowledgeable fan - but so far I’ve totally bypassed the modern day stuff.

I got into it for the first time this weekend and my first impressions are good so far, some courses are kind of boring but mainly because of the lack of things going on, can't remember the course, but it was mainly trees and rocks...barely any people are other things that I saw more of in WRC10... also not feeling the rain physics/dynamics.
I'm 4 hours in and really enjoying the game, glad I purchased it. Looking forward to continuing improvements via patches until the next one drops

Nothing in particular in terms of tuning for the Rally1 cars for me, the main thing is the hybrid use. You have to constantly think about it while driving to maximize its use and it can be quite tricky, especially if you're aiming for good times. I still struggle with the reflex to use throttle to rotate the car, as the hybrid cancels if you come off the throttle. Other times I get caught out by the extra power of the hybrid out of corners, which diff settings help with but don't solve completely.
We won't have that problem next year, FIA are seemingly scrapping the hybrid rally 1s from 2025.

Been really getting into this game after putting it down for many months in favor of other games. I was unfairly critical of this game's graphics at launch, but I have to admit I was wrong about that and it was a knee-jerk reaction. I don't know if visuals were tweaked since then but the game is gorgeous, especially in certain weather conditions.

I do hope some more liveries are added as it seems like most of the cars only have 1 livery to choose from other than the most recent cars. I actually liked many of the original designs in DR 2.0 and some were added post-launch, so I am hopeful we will see some added to this game.

I agree with this summary 100%. If I don't think about it, I find myself barely taking advantage of the hybrid system because 99% of the time it deactivates when metering the throttle.

The only time I do notice it as you say is when you least want it, i.e. coming out of a hairpin on the edge of a cliff lol. I think WRC is doing the right thing ditching it next year.

Been really getting into this game after putting it down for many months in favor of other games. I was unfairly critical of this game's graphics at launch, but I have to admit I was wrong about that and it was a knee-jerk reaction. I don't know if visuals were tweaked since then but the game is gorgeous, especially in certain weather conditions.

I do hope some more liveries are added as it seems like most of the cars only have 1 livery to choose from other than the most recent cars. I actually liked many of the original designs in DR 2.0 and some were added post-launch, so I am hopeful we will see some added to this game.
I just purchased it after holding off and waiting to see if the game improved. I'm enjoying it very much and also like the graphics. It's definitely a different look compared to DR2.0 which I think upset a lot of people, I would describe it as a more gritty (realistic?) look. Anyway, very happy with my purchase.

Anyone else click into the survey that was on the home page today?

Interesting enough to me was when it asked what features would you be most excited about. Easy speculation says that those features are either being worked on or considered at the moment.

So we have,
•Additional tracks and cars.
•A custom stage builder.
•More fleshed out livery editor.
•A central hub area similar to that of previous dirt games.
•Sharing of liveries and set ups.

To me it's interesting that they're gauging interest for these, a central hub area and a custom stage builder seem particularly unexpected.

Who knows if this is for future content on this game or if they're putting out feelers for the next game but interesting all the same imo.

Interesting enough to me was when it asked what features would you be most excited about. Easy speculation says that those features are either being worked on or considered at the moment.

So we have,
•A custom stage builder.

To me it's interesting that they're gauging interest for these, a central hub area and a custom stage builder seem particularly unexpected.

Who knows if this is for future content on this game or if they're putting out feelers for the next game but interesting all the same imo.
I have not, but of those features "all of the above" would get a tick from me. New cars/stages are almost always welcome and the ability to share/download custom liveries would be awesome.

D4's stage builder was a sound idea in theory but it was pretty to familiarise yourself with what the corners would be as they didn't have enough deviation or hazards, aside from elevation changes and off-camber turns which the co-driver didn't account for.

Last edited:
D4's stage builder was a sound idea in theory but it was pretty to familiarise yourself with what the corners would be as they didn't have enough deviation or hazards, aside from elevation changes and off-camber turns which the co-driver didn't account for.
D4's stage builder was just to predictable to work well, I'd rather see something like the one V-Rally 4 had, which was to have a mass of road networks on a map and then randomly pick sections from that for the stages. That worked really well.

So we have,
•A custom stage builder.

Suggests to me that it's not a yearly release and will get additional content - which would be fantastic if true. I'm not bothered about a stage builder really, I'd personally like additional cars and locations, and the possibility of building your own car to classic regulations.

Suggests to me that it's not a yearly release and will get additional content - which would be fantastic if true. I'm not bothered about a stage builder really, I'd personally like additional cars and locations, and the possibility of building your own car to classic regulations.
Thought the same. Even if it was a game every other year it'd be great.
After all it isn't fifa, WRC has a tiny following in comparison like. Hopefully we get skins this year and next year with new regs I won't be bummed if there was a new game... so long as they don't start pricing it at 70 quid as is becoming the norm.

Other features, I'd go for them all. I'd love loads of content getting chucked in. There was a part that said would do you prefer fictional tracks etc, I hope they pump out a bunch of fictional locations which won't be nearly as much of a headache to make when it isn't a recreation and a lot less time consuming for them. Gimme loads or content! I'm a greedy bastard.

The message that pops up in-game mentions "improving and adding to the game" or something which I take as an even clearer sign that they're looking at the DLC route for now. Which I think is good. Now get that Toyota licence!!!!!!

I spent ages the other night doing a Focus WRC 2000 livery and was really happy with how it was going, then I seemed to run out of layers as 'add decal' was greyed out- then the game immediately crashed. Aarrgghh. Dread to think how long I'd been doing it. Anyone else had that happen? I'll remember to save as I go along next time.

Last edited:
I'm actually enjoying the game that much these days that I signed up to Rally.TV last night so I could keep up with the real thing for the first time.

Well WRC, you got what you wanted out of the game :lol:
Can't you kinda get it for free with the WRC official dailies? Dunno if you need to be like top ten or something though, I struggle with keeping in the top few hundred in those before I chuck it into a ditch 😂

Can't you kinda get it for free with the WRC official dailies? Dunno if you need to be like top ten or something though, I struggle with keeping in the top few hundred in those before I chuck it into a ditch 😂
I like watching the highlights on telly while I'm at the woman's house with minimal effort, so it works for me :lol:

I haven't looked into those, what's the story there? I only do the clubs and mess about with the time trials!

Last edited:
I like watching the highlights on telly while I'm at the woman's house with minimal effort, so it works for me :lol:

I haven't looked into those, what's the story there? I only do the clubs and mess about with the time trials!
There's two "official" EA WRC clubs, WRC and Historic that you can freely sign up to. The former comprises the JWRC, Rally2 and Rally 1 machinery, Historic makes up every other class. Right now they're both running hardcore damage championships and the WRC club is mirroring the event schedule with the real life calendar.

What Joe is referring to is that they occasionally run a promotion for the WRC club whereby if you complete a single stage you can get a promo code for a free 3 month subscription to RallyTV (via Racenet). I did that a few days before Rally Sweden, I'm assuming it's the same "event" as it's still showing as active, however I faintly remember reading that there was a limited time/supply to it.

Update 1.6 is out (on Steam at least).

I no longer notice the game slowly drawing the background when the scene changes in replays so I guess they must have enabled or optimised pre- or background rendering in Unreal Engine. If so, then hopefully that'll help put an end to the stuttering.

I haven't experienced the screen tearing (on my Xbox) that others mentioned so it'll be interesting to see if that's gone away for them too.

Last edited:
To be honest i think the performance was already bordering on perfectly fine pre-patch so its nice to see continued improvements even after they've reached the point where things are running respectably. The only issues I had were with the XSX version in Monte Carlo, on PS5 I already felt like stuttering was pretty much eradicated and tearing much less of an issue.

I really think genuine kudos to Codemasters for working so hard on improving this game over the space of so many months - I see people moaning on Reddit and really think they need to get a life. The same people probably who constantly berated Kylotonn to the point where they happily washed their hands of the franchise as soon as Generations came out. And don't even get me started on the Dakar Desert Rally sub. The game's pretty good, just enjoy it.

Started a marathon Monte Carlo Rally last night in my 06-liveried Focus WRC and was really happy with my run through the long stage, decent twisting through the dry asphalt bits then a bit trickier up into the snow but ending the stage with a PB and yet still only second, 2 seconds behind the leader but a whopping 43s up on the third placed driver. In my head I'm thus locked in a head to head with Loeb in the Xsara and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Back