F1 2018 General Discussion

• Thread starter khr1s
  • 344 comments
@Losco , yes it is an improvement of 2017. Graphically and also physics wise. I would get 2018 now and skip 2019. Since the 2019 has the same tracks as 2018.

I might get F1 2019 because I have always been a sucker for Classic F1 cars I hope it comes with past tracks like Istanbul Park, Jarama, Jerez, Old Hockenheim, Nordschliefe, Nurburging F1 circuit, Imola, Kayalami, Adelaide Street circuit and Magny Cours.

I hope F1 2019 gets support with new content or updates that includes some free cars. F1 2018 barely got any content support how disappointing.

F1 2018 has already quite a decent number of licensed extra cars. Vintage tracks would be nice though.

F1 2018 has already quite a decent number of licensed extra cars. Vintage tracks would be nice though.

I need more LOL especially more Ferrari I dont mind if we get Alfa Romeo or Maserati.

Not to mention that Brabham Fan F1 car would be awesome.

I got F1 2018 installed at work to play at lunch time and decided to go with Force India for my team, so far I've completed the Melbourne practice sessions but I'm finding myself bumping the difficulty further and further up. I'm at 62 difficulty and I'm still sitting in 1st after 3rd practice. How much faster than practice are the qualifying times? I'm not expecting to come 1st with the Force India car but I only have practice to go off at the minute.

I got F1 2018 installed at work to play at lunch time and decided to go with Force India for my team, so far I've completed the Melbourne practice sessions but I'm finding myself bumping the difficulty further and further up. I'm at 62 difficulty and I'm still sitting in 1st after 3rd practice. How much faster than practice are the qualifying times? I'm not expecting to come 1st with the Force India car but I only have practice to go off at the minute.

For me personally I found around 80 to 85 difficulty gave me more or less realistic positioning with Mclaren. However ultimately this will depend on your skill level.

For me personally I found around 80 to 85 difficulty gave me more or less realistic positioning with Mclaren. However ultimately this will depend on your skill level.

Thanks for the info, having done a bit more reading it seems that I might need to bump it up a few more levels but that qualifying will be faster than the race by quite a bit due to the way the AI works. So I'll try it a bit higher for Melbourne and then see how I go for the rest of the championship. 👍

As @Slapped said, alot of it comes down to your skill level and ability to adapt to different tracks, setups, weather conditions and on-track scenarios.

First time in career mode in F1 2018, I started at about 70% AI level. After a few races, I won easily at Baku in the Williams. So I bumped it to 80%.

And after a few more races I bumped it 5% more, and then ~2% for each race up to 95%.

Last time I played my career mode on PC, I played at 103% AI level, and found it to be competetive and rewarding, yet punishing if I made mistakes. Which I do quite often. :lol:

And for some reason, people seem to struggle at Monaco and other street circuits, but I seem to demolish the AI there. :odd:
So practice makes perfect (or close to it).

Most important part is to enjoy the game and have fun. :cheers:

I've just looked at the itinerary for the 2019 season, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's exactly the same as the 2018 season except USA and Mexico have been switched around.

Personally I would welcome DLC for F1 2018 to cover the 2019 season, rather than having to buy a whole new game. Apart from the cars, that need re-modelling and parameter adjusting, the same assets are going to be used again, albeit with minor sponsor adjustments.

Price isn't an issue for me, but I really don't see the point of a complete new game sucking up another 40GB of my PS4 HD space given that so little has changed.

As long as we keep paying for an annual edition of the F1 game they will probably keep releasing one.

As for the skill level of the AI in career I think the practice programmes give you a good indication in general. Most tracks I vary between 93 and 103 with the exception of Monaco and Singapore where I can't keep up with the AI both in pace and in tyre management.

For a better experience I would encourage people to turn off flashbacks after a few races when you learn the AI behaviour. Allowing flashbacks encourages you to take too risky actions.

I've just looked at the itinerary for the 2019 season, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's exactly the same as the 2018 season except USA and Mexico have been switched around.

Personally I would welcome DLC for F1 2018 to cover the 2019 season, rather than having to buy a whole new game. Apart from the cars, that need re-modelling and parameter adjusting, the same assets are going to be used again, albeit with minor sponsor adjustments.

Price isn't an issue for me, but I really don't see the point of a complete new game sucking up another 40GB of my PS4 HD space given that so little has changed.

But that’s why you delete it and buy the next one whenever it comes out. That’s what I do each year a new racing game cones out

As @Slapped said, alot of it comes down to your skill level and ability to adapt to different tracks, setups, weather conditions and on-track scenarios.

First time in career mode in F1 2018, I started at about 70% AI level. After a few races, I won easily at Baku in the Williams. So I bumped it to 80%.

And after a few more races I bumped it 5% more, and then ~2% for each race up to 95%.

Last time I played my career mode on PC, I played at 103% AI level, and found it to be competetive and rewarding, yet punishing if I made mistakes. Which I do quite often. :lol:

And for some reason, people seem to struggle at Monaco and other street circuits, but I seem to demolish the AI there. :odd:
So practice makes perfect (or close to it).

I really struggle at Monaco, I can't get anywhere near the top even when using settings that would otherwise guarantee me 1st.
I completed Melbourne just moments ago, using 62 as the difficulty level I qualified in 8th and finished in 6th in the Force India, which I'm fairly happy with. I think I'll stick it out for a few races. It has really made me want to buy a wheel although I'm not sure that would go down too well at work :lol:

I really struggle at Monaco, I can't get anywhere near the top even when using settings that would otherwise guarantee me 1st.
I completed Melbourne just moments ago, using 62 as the difficulty level I qualified in 8th and finished in 6th in the Force India, which I'm fairly happy with. I think I'll stick it out for a few races. It has really made me want to buy a wheel although I'm not sure that would go down too well at work :lol:
Monaco is all about the classic slow-in, fast-out routine. But you have more grip and can brake later than you think in most parts of the track.

I'd also go with 10-10 or 10-11 downforce there. You really don't need top speed, so focus all on downforce. :P

Would definitely recommend getting a decent/good wheel. It makes a huge difference in these kinds of cars. Look into a wheel with at least 6 buttons on the wheel (like the G27), to manage fuel (up & down) and ERS (up & down), open DRS and more. But wheels are more for your home rather than at work. :sly:

Monaco is all about the classic slow-in, fast-out routine. But you have more grip and can brake later than you think in most parts of the track.

I'd also go with 10-10 or 10-11 downforce there. You really don't need top speed, so focus all on downforce. :P

Would definitely recommend getting a decent/good wheel. It makes a huge difference in these kinds of cars. Look into a wheel with at least 6 buttons on the wheel (like the G27), to manage fuel (up & down) and ERS (up & down), open DRS and more. But wheels are more for your home rather than at work. :sly:

I don't really have anywhere I can use a wheel at home apart from a few spare rooms upstairs but that would mean carrying my PC up there each time I wanted to play.

For any race enthousiast a wheel is a great investment. I myself hope to be able to get a setup at the end of the year. Last time I owned a wheel was probably 10 or 15 years ago and it was great fun. Afterwards I didn't bother to replace it during my study as I had little time to use it.

I have a wheel and it’s a whole other level of real racing. It’s fun and it’s hard and frustrating but in a good way. I got the g29 and next level racing stand over the holidays. It’s fun but a new learning curve.

I have almost only driven online in championships with friends so I won't base my opinion on a few races but I think all games have this problem. That's why I feel blessed if I find an all around clean lobby with varying races for a few hours.

They'll still have other improvements, but this happens in lots of sports games like MLB The Show or FIFA. The licensing requires yearly releases.

Nascar Heat does next season updates though, and even alcohol sponsors with an age verification.

THE WORST BY FAAAAAAAAAAAAR ONLINE COMMUNITY EVER !!!!!!!
It just isn't.

It's far from perfect. But there are other communities (if you can call them that) that are far worse.

League of Legends and Counter Strike being 2 of the biggest ones.

It just isn't.

It's far from perfect. But there are other communities (if you can call them that) that are far worse.

League of Legends and Counter Strike being 2 of the biggest ones.
Mate i'm talking about Racing Games. And yes F1 Game is the worst community of drivers ever, i never seen so much crash and mean move in my life

Mate i'm talking about Racing Games. And yes F1 Game is the worst community of drivers ever, i never seen so much crash and mean move in my life
Well, you didn't say 'racing games' in your post, hence the reply.

But F1 is definitely up there in the racing community, with GT and Forza.

Not sure how I should be approaching my career here. Playing 50% with McLaren no tc/abs 100 ai. Season 2

I don’t mind taking a PU penalty or two. So I normally do the race strategy program with the rich engine setting so it gives me enough fuel to use it for the entire race. But on some tracks I can easily find myself overfueled, especially if there is a safety car or something. At that point i’m pretty much screwed.

If i do the program in the standard setting then I can only use the rich setting for a few laps but it feels like the car handles better for the race. There’s also less wear but I lose that extra power.

Despite having only one ERS upgrade, I can run it in hot lap mode without draining the battery at most races. It makes the auto setting seem a bit pointless.

What engine and ERS settings do you guys normally use for the races?

Last edited:
For me the game was most fun when I was trying to constantly adjust settings while driving. At Baku I had different fuel and ERS settings for almost every corner. I maximized what I had, and it was really rewarding to cross the finish line with just enough fuel and a fully spent battery

I skipped F12018 but i’m really looking forward to the release of F12019. Just aesthetically I think the new cars are some of the nicest looking that we have had in quite a few years.

I skipped F12018 but i’m really looking forward to the release of F12019. Just aesthetically I think the new cars are some of the nicest looking that we have had in quite a few years.
100% agree.

My favorite is is the Williams car. Don't know why but I love it. Behind that is Racing Point

Back