Favorite quotes

No matter whether a person belongs to the upper or lower ranks, if he has not put his life on the line at least once he has cause for shame.
- Nabeshima Naoshige (1538-1618)

“Perception is strong and sight weak. In strategy it is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things.”
Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645) Also happens to be my avatar.

"Bushido is realised in the presence of death. In the case of having to choose between life and death you should choose death. There is no other reasoning"
Yamamoto Tsunetomo. (1659-1719)

"The arts if war and the arts of peace are like the two wheels of a cart. Without one you will have trouble standing."
Kuroda Nagamasa (1568-1623)

Note in traditional Japanese fashion names are reversed so surname comes first.

Last edited:
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right." Henry Ford

"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything." Alfred Borden (The Prestige, 2006)

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations."
Winston Churchill

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
Confucius

"A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true."
Socrates (Plato)

"My love of dynamic complications often led me to avoid simplicity when perhaps it was the wisest choice."
Garry Kasparov

And the one in my signature

“Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.” - Albert Einstein

"If" -Spartans one-word reply to Philip of Macedon when he threatened to attack Sparta. Philip backed off and never threatened Sparta ever again.

Last edited:
"Long live freedom!" - Hans Scholl, moments before he was guillotined by the Nazis.

"Whichever God you pray to, or don't, the mathematics is the same." - @niky

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza

"Getting there is half the fun." -Clark Griswold

"What's behind you doesn't matter." -Enzo Ferrari

"What's the point of being afraid?" -Desmond Hume

"Audi S4: The official car of elliptical machine Bluetooth conference calls." -Mr. Regular

"Let's look death in the face and say, 'Whatever, man!'"- Hurley Reyes

He who measureth the worth of his life by counting his gold, is he who measureth the worth of a house by counting the grains of sawdust made whilst building it.

"Stop! The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised." - Zapp Brannigan

"All I'm gonna use this bed for is sleeping, eating and maybe building a little fort." - Homer Simpson

Back