Formula 1 Lenovo Chinese Grand Prix 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 89 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
After a pandemic-induced 5-year break, Shanghai is back on the calendar. The circuit which still holds the record for most overtakes in a single dry race has been resurfaced before its return to the calendar, so will we see a repeat of the issues seen with resurfacing just before a race like Silverstone, Istanbul, Portimao and Qatar have had before? This event is the first of 6 Sprint race meetings, with once again the format for the sprints being changed as the bosses keep trying to force a terrible idea onto the fans as they fumble for a format that doesn't detract from the main Grand Prix. Last held as the 1000th Grand Prix event, we will be here for the 1106th Grand Prix at the CHINESE GRAND PRIX!
1713257132243.png

First Grand Prix
2004​

Number of Laps
56​

Circuit Length
5.451km​

Race Distance
305.066 km​

Lap Record
1:32.238 Michael Schumacher (2004)​

Most GPs have relatively new records. Why is this particular still from Schuhmacher?
This track was on the 2004 calendar, something which layouts like Jeddah, new Melbourne and Zandvoort won't have. With the nature of refuelling and tyre war, race pace in 2004 was often within a second of qualifying pace. With no refuelling and Pirelli rubber, race pace is often at least 5 seconds off qualifying pace.

The 2019 pole lap was ~2.5s faster than 2004, the fastest lap was ~2.5s slower than 2004.

We currently live in a timeline where Verstappen hasn't won a race on a track.

That will change on sunday, though...

We currently live in a timeline where Verstappen hasn't won a race on a track.

That will change on sunday, though...
Of the tracks he has raced at, he has not won at: Sochi, Singapore, Shanghai, Portimao, Nurburgring, Mugello and Istanbul Park.

Of the tracks he has raced at, he has not won at: Sochi, Singapore, Shanghai, Portimao, Nurburgring, Mugello and Istanbul Park.
One-off races in bold.

But yeah, he's still yet to conquer Singapore. We'll see when Nürburgring and Sochi appear again.

Track should be interesting for the drivers in general. You've got the majority of them who drove a completely different car 5 years ago (6 when you recall Ocon's absence from the 2019 season) while four drivers on the grid will be here for the first time (Although technically, Guanyu Zhou does have some experience from his 2019 Formula 2 season). Sadly, it gets welcomed back via this idiotic sprint race format.

This circuit usually suits Mercedes car, will see how the surface affects things soon. Hopefully they can get the car in the correct operating window and fight the cars near them better here.

Ferrari have been strong here too, hopefully that will be enough to be a threat to Red Bull...

This circuit usually suits Mercedes car, will see how the surface affects things soon. Hopefully they can get the car in the correct operating window and fight the cars near them better here.

Ferrari have been strong here too, hopefully that will be enough to be a threat to Red Bull...
Problem with all of that is, that was 5 years ago (with different cars on different regs and different tires, all on a different surface). None of that will be applicable given the massive amount of changes that have since taken place in those 5 years.

Problem with all of that is, that was 5 years ago (with different cars on different regs and different tires, all on a different surface). None of that will be applicable given the massive amount of changes that have since taken place in those 5 years.
It's still the same type of corners and downforce level. Red Bull and McLaren high-speed cornering advantages gets limited here due to not really having any of these kind of corners.

It's still the same type of corners and downforce level. Red Bull and McLaren high-speed cornering advantages gets limited here due to not really having any of these kind of corners.

With McLaren, yeah maybe but to put Red Bull in that same category too, I'm not so sure. Just like last year, Red Bull have yet to show any real weakness with their car so everyone is expecting them to do well here just as they've done at every race so far this season. Could they get beaten by Ferrari? One can only hope so but I'm not holding my breath and neither should you.

Alonso pole ?!
Now Lewis provisional.

Great wet session.

Lando snatches it. But deleted. And then renistated. Madness.

Norris on pole !

Lewis on the front row in his midfield car. Alonso and Verstappen on row 2.

5 Sainz, 6 Perez, 7 Leclerc, 8 Piastri, 9 Bottas, 10 Zhou.

Last edited:
If everyone survives the first corners the race will be between Max and Fernando. Norris cracks under pressure and Lewis drives a Mercedes.

Unless it's wet.

Last edited:
If everyone survives the first corners the race will be between Max and Fernando. Norris cracks under pressure and Lewis drives a Mercedes.

Unless it's wet.
Wouldn't even take Norris cracking, the McLaren will be way off the leading pace here in the dry. Pray for rain, papaya gang.

Last edited:
I didn't like the idea of Fernando coming back to F1 and found him to be a different person when he returned. So much so that I think he needs (deserves) a couple more wins.
I've always been a fan of his but I was against his return too. I didn't want him trundling around at the back of the grid, taking the shine off his past achievements, but he's proven that he's fast enough to still deserve a seat and an exceptional racer.

He's not the most successful driver in F1 and he never will be but he just has "it", that inexplicable quality that makes him such a talent.

Latest Posts

Back