Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 17,531 comments
Retrowave......it's the 1980's I guarantee it. The Palm Tree icon on the preview screen shouts Outrun.
Sounds good to me.

Anyway what are your thoughts on this series reveal? The Car Pack is pretty bad and lackluster. $10 USD for 7 copy-paste racing cars from FM23, plus a lot of them are years out of date. Disappointing. The rest is good I suppose, and the TA Evo should please fans. Perhaps this might be the closest we'll ever get to getting a HKS Evo from FM4.

Last edited:
Or alternatively it's PG saying "we know you gave up on FM23, so now you can drive GT cars in FH5 with the whole set of fake race tracks which are coming to Eventlab soon via the new road props".
It honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point if even Microsoft is quietly starting to give up on FM23 and instead is shifting attention towards bringing FM content into FH5, presumably to cut losses. I mean, that FM was gonna be less popular than FH was a given but that it was gonna be like this... Yikes.

I figured that due to licensing costs a FH-FM merger may eventually happen, but if the above is true said merger might happen considerably sooner than expected. Seems like my "merger when" joke may not be as much of a joke after all...
Retrowave as next update? It's time to put the original, monospecchio '84 Ferrari Testarossa or the Ferrari 308 Quattrovalvole in Forza Series Now ^^
I'd happily take a 308 QV - og Magnum PI car let's goo :sly: Testarossa could be nice if its a new shiny model - the 512 TR we've got isn't terrible looking but it is a fairly old model IIRC.

Welp, I have little interest in that car pack for Horizon. I can race all of those in Motorsport....

This update is kinda meh. I am looking forward to the next update though, I have to wonder if they actually mean "retrowave" or are referring to "Synthwave" that was popular in the early 2000s.

My guess, since there is a new radio station, is that it's the latter of the two.

I don't mind the race cars coming to FH5 (remember when FH3 had that race car pack early on at launch?) but if FM23 is indeed in major trouble behind the scenes then thats a major yikes.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me.

Anyway what are your thoughts on this series reveal? The Car Pack is pretty bad and lackluster. $10 USD for 7 copy-paste racing cars from FM23, plus a lot of them are years out of date. Disappointing. The rest is good I suppose, and the TA Evo should please fans. Perhaps this might be the closest we'll ever get to getting a HKS Evo from FM4.
I'm quite disappointed with this update if the truth be known. It's because the vehicles this season really aren't my cup of tea. I'll give it a fair go though.

As much as I don't want to pay £7.99 for this month's car pack I will do because I want a full garage.

The interesting thing is that other places (YouTube comments from the update videos by the usual suspects, Reddit) are quite positive about getting GT cars in Horizon. I think we here kind of forget that FM only has roughly 1/10 of the players of Horizon and so for a large part of the Horizon audience the idea of getting decent race tracks in Eventlab and a field of 12 GT cars (including the existing Lambo Super Trofeo, Ferrari 488 Challenge and KTM GT2) is a big thing.

From Reddit:
1713807320490.png

Last edited:
I'm quite disappointed with this update if the truth be known. It's because the vehicles this season really aren't my cup of tea. I'll give it a fair go though.

As much as I don't want to pay £7.99 for this month's car pack I will do because I want a full garage.
I'm currently five cars short of the full 830. They were too fast and too furious for me.

I don't mind the race cars coming to FH5 (remember when FH3 had that race car pack early on at launch?) but if FM23 is indeed in major trouble behind the scenes then thats a major yikes.
Yeah, now that I've had time to separate from my panicky reptile brain this is probably what it is. FM2023 isn't bringing in any of the revenue, pre- or post-launch, that Microsoft was expecting of it, and Turn 10 had to do a lot of damage control just to hopefully win back a playerbase. Now that that hasn't panned out at all Playground is basically adding in all of the popular GT3 racecars from that game and basically saying "Hey, if you're still on the fence about returning to FH5, we're adding in all of your favorite race cars and making the exclusive FM2023 car non-exclusive!"

Kinda stinks for us who just want the cool road car picks, but at this point I'll take it. :P

Last edited:
Adding these cars to FH5 isn't going to fix people's concerns with FM23, unfortunately.

They used the same mechanics of the playlist from FH5 in FM23 and that, I think, is what ultimately hurt it. People just wanted to race at their own pace and earn cars the old fashion way or be able to buy all cars in the auto show and honestly, I can understand that, especially since they touted until the moment of launch that career events would be added permanently.

This does almost seem like T10 abandoning ship, but I'm not sure flooding FH5 with these cars is the solution either. FH5 and FM23 are 2 different games with different fanbases.

The interesting thing is that other places (YouTube comments from the update videos by the usual suspects, Reddit) are quite positive about getting GT cars in Horizon. I think we here kind of forget that FM only has roughly 1/10 of the players of Horizon and so for a large part of the Horizon audience the idea of getting decent race tracks in Eventlab and a field of 10 GT cars (including the existing Lambo Super Trofeo, Ferrari 488 Challenge and KTM GT2) is a big thing.

From Reddit:
View attachment 1349228
Pretty underwhelming update, I must say, being a revival of FH3's Motorsport All-Stars. Only exciting cars here are the Hyundai Elantra N TCR and Mitsubishi EVO VIII Time Attack. I'd really welcome more new unlimited-class time attack cars in the Forza series, whether it's in Horizon, Motorsport or both.

What's surely to piss off a lot of people, though, would be the car pack in itself, where everything is not only from FM8, but at least five out of seven cars were paid DLC there. Another is that they really butchered the Porsche 911 GT3 R by giving it a near-blank livery instead of the Park Place Motorsports livery that it had.

FACT: As of the Apex Allstars update, FH5 now has the largest number of cars of any game in the Forza series, beating out FM7. The Car Collection screen will now increase to 842 cars, which beats out FM7's 835 cars.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that it is more about "Sell already licensed and scanned cars to a wider player base and score some money" rather than "Abandon your flagship track racer" by selling a car pack.

There have been far too many games recently that went from "disaster" at launch to "can recommend" (especially with discounts). A good number of them are XGS games too. Even FH4/FH5 (not really much of disaster) and FM7 (very much a disaster) recovered quite well.

I have a feeling that it is more about "Sell already licensed and scanned cars to a wider player base and score some money" rather than "Abandon your flagship track racer" by selling a car pack.

There have been far too many games recently that went from "disaster" at launch to "can recommend" (especially with discounts). A good number of them are XGS games too. Even FH4/FH5 (not really much of disaster) and FM7 (very much a disaster) recovered quite well.
FM23 seems different since it seems to just be lurching from one disaster to another

Adding these cars to FH5 isn't going to fix people's concerns with FM23, unfortunately.

They used the same mechanics of the playlist from FH5 in FM23 and that, I think, is what ultimately hurt it. People just wanted to race at their own pace and earn cars the old fashion way or be able to buy all cars in the auto show and honestly, I can understand that, especially since they touted until the moment of launch that career events would be added permanently.

This does almost seem like T10 abandoning ship, but I'm not sure flooding FH5 with these cars is the solution either. FH5 and FM23 are 2 different games with different fanbases.
Honestly it could also be seen as T10 cutting their losses and just floating refugees over to FH5. Those of us who already stay with FH5 aren't going to buy FM2023 to play with these cars, but (primarily console) people who still play FM2023 but are on the fence about reinstalling FH5 might possibly be tempted to uninstall FM2023 to play with them in a better game.

It's definitely an underwhelming update for sure--5/10 update for both cars and the update in general, although the focus on EventLabs (and, I have to begrudgingly admit here, upgrades) is definitely neat--but it's a sound strategy.

Last edited:
Are there any '80s cars in the leaked list?

So many to choose from, and that doesn't even count the leaked brands from the parts file (80s Isuzu Piazza/Impulse please). Maybe the Lagonda and Suzuki Samurai show up for this one. If we're going by aesthetic, the SVX also has that retro-future type of feel that this theme would go for, or like the Hyundai N 74 Concept/Pony since we've gotten a ton of Hyundais lately.

(I've been wrong so many times, lol)

Last edited:
And, honestly, that means a lot...
Booooooooo!

I’m personally okay with the pack. I wish it was a little cheaper but I loved using the racers in FH3. They were fun to just blast around the map with, so being able to do that again will be good. I can totally see why people would be annoyed though.

Booooooooo!

I’m personally okay with the pack. I wish it was a little cheaper but I loved using the racers in FH3. They were fun to just blast around the map with, so being able to do that again will be good. I can totally see why people would be annoyed though.
With how much FH5 seems to take from FH3, honestly this shouldn't have come as a huge surprise, but... it did for us, apparently. :P

The irony is that now that they've eliminated the awful parts leveling up system in FM(8), I'm tempted to get it after all. I'm sure there will be a good sale on it soon.

I paid $5 on Ebay to get a code for the Oreos Pagani. I bought $20 worth of makeup to get the OPI Ford GT. I bought an $80 controller so I could get the 32 Ford FE. I'll spend the money for this car pack, too.
Yeah, I'll end up buying the new pack tomorrow despite misgivings. I'm all in on 100% garage completion and losing that just because of a 10 euro car pack hurts more than spending 10 euros on cars I'll likely barely use.

Heck, I bought the FH4 hot wheels car pack just for completion reasons, and I don't recall driving a single one of them :odd:
At least the FH5 car packs so far gave me 1 or more cars per pack that I've driven regularly.

Besides, I've accepted that the BoP aspect will probably have me driving the GT cars back to back to see which I'm fastest with in the Horizon Mexico circuit. I would just love them to BoP the existing Ferrari Challenge and Lambo Super Trofeo to match the new 9 GT cars too, but I know they won't.

The irony is that now that they've eliminated the awful parts leveling up system in FM(8), I'm tempted to get it after all. I'm sure there will be a good sale on it soon.
The reality of FM23 at the moment is that it has a really really good driving experience with the Xbox controller. Probably the most in control of cars that I've ever been with a controller (and hopefully the basis for FH6 controller support).

The graphics of FM23 are reasonable, as long as you disable ray tracing (which is too much for current Xbox hardware or most PCs). They are slightly ahead of FH5 in some areas (e.g. glass), but because of all that effort on ray tracing FH5 tends to look better except on top end PC hardware.

The FM23 track list is also looking better and better, with 5 new tracks added since launch and more to come. The car list is also reasonable, but note that it's 100% cars, nothing exotic or off-road (since they are now solely part of Horizon).

The biggest problems FM23 still has are:
  1. The single player AI drivers are reasonably fast but terrible at handling driving close to the player. Not quite as bad as FM7, but nothing like ACC or AMS2.
  2. There are bugs, on PC but also on Xbox. You might be lucky and escape most of them, but you might not.
  3. The single player events are very limited in scope, and new ones added each month all just follow a single formula: Short races across various disciplines, none of which you couldn't create yourself using Quick Play mode.
  4. The penalty system and player matching system for multiplayer is still not where it should be. Some good racing can be had, but bad driving is pretty much everywhere.
  5. The implementation of monthly player retention (as required by Gamepass) is to race 2x 4 race series per week, and you then win 2 time-limited free new reward cars. Each month at least 4 other spotlight cars are added to the game for free, but they are thankfully added to the car dealer. Also note that the vast majority of free cars have been recycled from FM7 or FH5.
    So if you want to get the reward cars each month you need to play specific series, and this feels like a chore because the tasks you have to do are simply racing tracks in specific cars. The Horizon playlist is just as much FOMO (if not more because you HAVE to login every week or you miss a car) but at least the activities are varied, there's an AH to try and buy missing cars, and cars are added back into future playlists (which has not yet happened in FM23).
So yeah, if you just want to enjoy driving around the track at your own pace against rather mediocre AI then FM23 is fine. And the actual driving experience on Xbox controller is best in class. If you want to do other things, your experience may be good or bad.

Last edited:
Where are the new events?
I think we'll have to see when the changelog goes live but I have a feeling it's just a bare-minimum 'new Rivals leaderboards available', mostly for Drag Racing events. Rivals stuff, after all, does count as event content.

EDIT: It probably actually refers to the new way of handling The Trial they're experimenting with for this update. This kinda got shoved under the rug here but apparently every player in the Trial this Series will get to choose between two pre-tuned cars for each event; in this way, there's a BoP mechanic for the Trial that should give every player an equal chance of defeating the AI.

Last edited:
The car pack is sort of fine... but I already drive GT3 cars regularly in ACC and I don't know if I want to pay €10 to drive them in FH5.

Besides, the only car I really want is the 911 RSR, which we're getting for free anyway :P

I think we'll have to see when the changelog goes live but I have a feeling it's just a bare-minimum 'new Rivals leaderboards available', mostly for Drag Racing events. Rivals stuff, after all, does count as event content.

EDIT: It probably actually refers to the new way of handling The Trial they're experimenting with for this update. This kinda got shoved under the rug here but apparently every player in the Trial this Series will get to choose between two pre-tuned cars for each event; in this way, there's a BoP mechanic for the Trial that should give every player an equal chance of defeating the AI.
Did they really say that? The way it looked to me you can still bring your own car to the event but they provided rentals for those who didn't have one. I didn't hear them say you had to choose a pre-tuned vehicle.

Latest Posts

Back