Gran Turismo 8 - if you had the power to completely design the experience…

The one thing I would do is have a dedicated support channel for the user base to post valid legitimate complaints.

Terrible idea.

You'd just end up with even more butt-hurt people even more butt-hurt when everything they complained about wasn't changed.

Oh yeah, I forgot another potentially important addition that may be tied to hardware limitations - a rearview mirror beyond the bumper cam. That would be extremely handy since I usually use the hood/roof view.

Last edited:
Terrible idea.

You'd just end up with even more butt-hurt people even more butt-hurt when everything they complained about wasn't changed.
I agree that this isn't the way forward but I agree with the sentiment. PD def needs to communicate more and be more receptive to feedback. How that's done/implemented? I'm not sure. It seems that they are aware of issues, so maybe there's no need for additional channels of feedback. But as it pertains to communication, there's room for improvement.

Oh yeah, I forgot another potentially important addition that may be tied to hardware limitations - a rearview mirror beyond the bumper cam. That would be extremely handy since I usually use the hood/roof view.
On one hand, we have folks desiring a full dealership car buying experience and in the other, we have people merely asking for a rearview mirror :lol:. The fact that you have to ask for that is amazing.

On one hand, we have folks desiring a full dealership car buying experience and in the other, we have people merely asking for a rearview mirror :lol:. The fact that you have to ask for that is amazing.
I don't doubt that if PD could, they would. But I really do think it's a hardware thing, since the bumper cam - where none of the car is rendered - happens to be the only view with a rear-view mirror.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that if PD could, they would. But I really do think it's a hardware thing, since the bumper cam - where none of the car is rendered - happens to be the only view with a rear-view mirror.
If there is a limitation, it's the PS4. As I'm sure you're aware, GT7 is largely a PS4 game, it's cross gen... The PS5 is more than capable of doing what you're asking for. What we see sometimes with developers OR as mandated by their publisher (Sony), they don't want to fragment the userbase. So in that regard, you'd be correct that it's a hardware limitation for some... But it's also a policy limitation if my assumption is true.

I think we saw a similar situation for PSVR1 owners (like myself). GT Sport was limited to one AI opponent because of the base model PS4. The PS4 Pro (which I owned) was more than capable of rendering additional AI opponents IIRC.

I agree that this isn't the way forward but I agree with the sentiment. PD def needs to communicate more and be more receptive to feedback. How that's done/implemented? I'm not sure. It seems that they are aware of issues, so maybe there's no need for additional channels of feedback. But as it pertains to communication, there's room for improvement.
There's two ways of looking at it.

If I'm ordering a meal, I expect it to be what I asked for. If I'm reading a book, watching a film, listening to music, or playing a game, I don't expect the creators to give a **** what I asked for because it's their vision. GT is the latter, if it's not what you want, don't partake in it - don't send it back and demand the manager hears your opinion on it.

More tracks, better AI and better pitstop strategy from the AI.

Double down on the history lessons and general car appreciation nature of the game. Handling can evolve slightly but still remain accessible for everyone to have a decent go at. We don't need another nerd Sim style racer.

I'd probably have a separate dedicated GT mode in the classic sense without the menu books as well.

If I'm ordering a meal, I expect it to be what I asked for.
So, going by your example.... You didn't get what you ordered. The copy of GT7 sent to reviewers was missing core features that were implemented on the day 1 patch. You in fact did NOT receive what was advertised in the menu of your figurative meal. They brought out a different dish altogether, took it back into the kitchen and then delivered somewhat on what was advertised.

Now if you're ok with those type of business practices, that's fine. I won't argue with what you're willing to settle for. But many others aren't and the very people you're looking down on, are the reason why PD went back and attempted to fix the malicious business practices forced upon them by Sony (according to one of the mods here).

Last edited:
They brought out a different dish altogether, took it back into the kitchen and then delivered somewhat on what was advertised.
Oh man, this is why I don't normally bother with analogies. Some things we consume we get to ask for what we want, some things we consume we do so because we think we'll like what's on offer. Complaining in the latter situation is, in my opinion stupid, and the hallmark of someone that is only interested in what they already like. Complaining in the former situation is much more reasonable because the premise is "What would you like?". Gran Turismo is offered for our enjoyment, but it's very much a product of PD's vision, it's never been provided on the basis that it's the output of customer feedback.

Oh man, this is why I don't normally bother with analogies. Some things we consume we get to ask for what we want, some things we consume we do so because we think we'll like what's on offer. Complaining in the latter situation is, in my opinion stupid, and the hallmark of someone that is only interested in what they already like. Complaining in the former situation is much more reasonable because the premise is "What would you like?". Gran Turismo is offered for our enjoyment, but it's very much a product of PD's vision, it's never been provided on the basis that it's the output of customer feedback.
Seriously, I get what you're saying and don't entirely disagree with you. I just feel there's some room for improvement. I definitely appreciate the discussion.

Last edited:
I've had my own vision for a Gran Turismo game for a while, my dream GT title. For that, I'll mention some of the ideas I had for my dream GT title for this hypothetical Gran Turismo 8 title. It'll basically be a combination of things from GT1-4 plus some new things added in GT7 & Sport. But the main parts of the game will be using the classic GTs as a baseline as that's what I want.
Gran Turismo Dream Start Screen.png

Career Mode:

Below is kinda a baseline for my ideal GT career mode, the only thing I would add is perhaps a Missions hall like we have in GT4 & GT7, a hall for rally events, and GT Cafe still being a thing. GT Cafe mode though would now be a new challenge mode you can do for certain cars. Like for instance, you could win a wheelspin or some money if you were to win 10 races in a Porsche 911 Carrera RS or something. Maybe something simple like driving a Castrol Tom's Supra on Grand Valley Speedway as a GT throwback. Stuff like that.
GT7 - GT League Concept.png

To get more in detail for the actual events in GT League mode. I would implement at least 100 regular events and 10-20 endurance events. The normal events in each league would include the same kind of events we've seen before alongside new types of events; all dedicated to the types of cars in the game. Events based on the country the car was built in, the decade, bodytype, performance group, manufacture, and more. The events would also include championships alongside single player.

Each race would allow players time to practice and qualify before starting the event of course along with more difficult A.I. to battle with. The chase-the-rabbit system is gone except for some challenges in Missions Hall and at a standard the A.I. is more like the multi-chili pepper races we've seen in GT7 like in the Clubman Cup for instance. Lastly similar to GT3 & Sport; some events will have different "levels" like the 4WD Challenge for instance. I picked this as I liked that idea back in GT3 where you can end up doing a similar event again, but with faster opponents.

For my 4WD Challenge example, the Novice league would have you go up against some kei cars and earlier sport compacts like a Lancer Evo 3 in the picture. That, maybe a 4WD Daihatsu Mira TR-XX Avanzato R. The 2nd 4WD Challenge would include faster 4WD/AWD cars as opponents such as Skyline GT-Rs, Lancer Evo IX MR & Evo X Final Edition, Impreza WRX STI 2004, or 2009 Audi TTS Coupe. Then the last 4WD Challenge would be aginst supercars like the Lamborghini Huracan and Audi R8 V10 Plus.

Also, you can win cars and tickets for completing events. Since the A.I. is more difficult, I thought of even including rewards for maybe coming in the top 5 or something. Like in GT1-4, you can even win prizes again to redoing events, I found it annoying that PD stopped doing that.

The last thing I would include in the career mode are drag racing events, this can be done by using straights on existing tracks as a drag strip like SS Route X or High Speed Ring. Though a couple of actual drag strips from real life could also be brought in.
GT7 - GT League Events.png

Now for the other modes I had in mind, the Rally League and Missions Hall.

For Rally League, I was thinking of making it a combination of the classic rally modes from past GTs alongside the Special Rally Events GT5 had. There would be different tracks where you would have to beat opponents as a "rally duel", I guess treated as a challenge. Then some sort-of rally cross type races with multiple opponents on a track. With finally events like in GT5 where you're going up against 4-6 opponents that each set a time on a rally trail and then you'll have to beat those times and do this in multiple stages. I'm guessing that was PD's take at trying to replicate actual rallying. I honestly found that mode a bit fun and found it a shame that GT5 didn't have many of those events. In GT8, this wouldn't be an issue.

Oh and for the rally mode, I was thinking the music rally is brought over from GT7 into the main game's career mode. Except now it's a traditional rally system. It was a fun and arcady mode, but I think picking music for the premise of the challenge was too out there. You can still have this mode in arcade mode, I just think it should've been used as part of the career. Though without the music part, just have it like a more traditional arcade game with a time limit.

Driving Missions would be like what we had in GT4,6, & 7. A mixture of special driving challenges like having to beat a few opponents in 3 laps, trying to complete a lap with limited fuel, 1 lap magics, drift challenges, drag races, and more. Just now there's a lot more of these missions of course.
Gran Turismo 7 - Screenshot_2024-01-16_23-14-48.png

Alright, enough with the career mode, time to mention the other modes.

For the livery editor in GT Auto, I honestly am happy with it now for the most part, the only changes I want at the moment include an option to make vinyl group in-game that allows me to repaint the entire group. I found it annoying with some liveries I made having to constantly go in and repaint every single shape. So now that wouldn't be a problem.

Outside that, I would love to be able to keep decals & stripes on some cars when repainting them along with the ability to repaint the stripes. Also new decals uploaded could have better render quality than they have now as people have pointed how their custom decals can look very jaggy when placed on their car.
20830177188338528.jpg

The only issue I have with the used car and legends dealerships in GT7 are that they're based on real-time & the car prices get absurd, dealership cycles in my personal GT8 would be based on in-game days like in the older games. The car prices would no longer be based on hagerty or bring-a-trailer prices and made more affordable. No more 20 million credit cars. Well either that or include more ways to earn money like in Forza Horizon I guess.
Gran Turismo 7 - Screenshot_2024-01-16_22-54-10.png

In my ideal garage setting, there would be now an actual garage as a backdrop and it would showcase the car you're in. You would be able to pick different locations as backdrops and even be allowed to explore your car. I guess this would be GT's equivalent of Forza vista. Now GT7 technically has something like this, but it's only for VR players, that wouldn't be the case for GT8. Once again, this picture is just an edit I made a while back.

In the garage, you can have the option of viewing a preview of a car you want to get in before getting in it, so you're not kicked back to the first menu if you click on a car. Cars can be sold again in the garage instead of going to the UCD to sell them like above.
GT7 - Garage Redesign.png

While talking about the cars, I think the group system has become way too wide-spread for Gr.1-4; there's no good reason to have a 90s DTM racing in online leagues with GT4 race cars or Group C cars being BOP'd with LMP1 race cars. So now, there's more Group classes made for sport mode or general racing events. You could still mix the classes however in custom race mode or in online lobbies if you wanted that classic GT race-car mixing to take place. Some events will also still do that.

But as a general principle, cars will have more specific racing categories. Though to keep to the Gran Turismo quirkiness, I thought of still going by the "Group" system to make sure GT stands out compared to other racing games. I'm still working on the names of course and working on the issues with my ideal class system. Here's the examples of what I had in mind though with Gr.1 classes:
Gr.1C - Group C (Mercedes Sauber C9, Mazda 787B, Jaguar XJR-9)
Gr.1GTP - Early LMP prototypes (Toyota GTONE, Bentley Speed 8, & Audi R8 2002)
Gr.1P - Later 2000s/early 2010s LMPs (Peugeot 908, Audi R18 TDI, & Toyota TS030)
Gr.1LMH - Late 2010s LMP1s (Porsche 919 Hybrid, Audi R18 2016, & Toyota TS050)
Gr.1LMDh - Hypercar Class (Toyota GR010, Porsche 963, & Ferrari 499P)

Gran Turismo 7 - Racing Category redesign - Group 1C.png
Gran Turismo 7 - Racing Category redesign - Group 1GTP.png

I think that's all I'll discuss on cars since there's a thread made on here for car wishlists, plus the suggestions forum where I already made my posts regarding cars I want. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/categories/suggestions.338/

The only thing I'll say regarding what I would do with cars & tracks going forward is a combination of what GT7 is doing now with content plus some of my own ideas. Like having more modern race cars plus race cars from the 90s & 2000s since there aren't too many 90s & 2000s racers. There's 1 90s DTM car right now, only 2 late 90s JGTC cars, 3 90s GT1 racers, 1 2000s GT1 race car, 1 GT2 race car, and well that's not a lot of those categories. Also if I was in charge of GT8, I think I would start outsourcing more for new cars as it doesn't seem like PD is doing that anymore since GT Sport.

For tracks, I would try to figure out why it's taking so long for new courses to be added and see if there's a way to speed it up for GT8. Also, start focusing more on adding more track layouts like the shorter layout of Tsukuba for instance, the Gymkhana course found on Kyoto Driving Park (it could be a great base for some new challenges or just a general gymkhana course for mayhem), the road course layout of SSRX that was long forgotten.

For arcade mode (another old picture edit I did), it would be back to being available to the main game instead of just being for when the servers are offline. Never understood why GT7 did that in the first place. Also, you can drive every car in the game via this mode along with every track. All of the typical arcade options will be here along with the ability to drive the cars you buy in the main game.

Arcade mode could also include the custom race mode GT7 has now, but with even more options now such as body types, multiple performance classes like I presented, multi-class racing, and finally the ability to pick any car in the game as an opponent. Without having to buy the car to have it. Which since I have every car in the game playable in my GT8; I guess that would be simple enough. Just that one option alone would give GT8 so much replay-ability.

The last thing I'll mention is online racing and I don't have much to say here for GT8 as I don't play online multiplayer often as I'm a single-player guy. So, I'll say that for online lobbies that shuffle racing should be brought back from GT5, there should be a general racing option to race cars stock w/o modifications or tuning allowed (if that's not in GT7 already), and bring back seasonal events. Also, I would like to see a daily login bonus option brought back from GT5-6 to reward players for continuing to play the game.

That's basically all I can think of for now regarding how I would design GT8 as a game.
Gran Turismo 7 UI Design - Arcade Car Selection 2.png

Last edited:
Here's the idea I've always in my head, which I don't remotely have the artistic talent to mock up unfortunately.

GT is better when it focuses on the cars rather than being about the driver IMO - that's far better done by sims that focus on racing cars. So I've tried to fit the career to the car roster, rather than trying to force a racing sim career onto a car roster that isn't built for it.

The main career screen would be a timeline, with rows for each decade between the 1950s to 2020s (with maybe a nebulous "future" one after that for VGT stuff). Then, you'd have cups, based on various road car themes, that go across the timeline like so:
  • An 86 vs BRZ Cup cup that would have a 1980s round for the Levin/Trueno, a 2010s round for the gen 1 86/BRZ, and a 2020s round for the gen 2 GR86/BRZ.
  • A Corvette Festival cup that would have a 50s round for the C1, a 60s round for the C2/C3, an 80s round for the C4, an 00s round for the C6, a 10s round for the C7 and a 20s round for the C8. A 90s round could be added if a C5 was DLC.
  • A SEMA cup that would currently just have a 10s round, but could add a 00s round if previous winners were added.
  • Ferrari Challenge, which would have rounds in every decade (except the 20s currently)
  • You could also do entry level stuff like Sunday Cup, which would combine the current Sunday Cup and Sunday Cup Classic (and actually have a power limit this time), so you'd have an entry level event to enter your Mazda3 in.
Winning all events in a cup would provide a car that would help for a related cup, for example the 86/BRZ cup might reward you with an Impreza or a Supra for Stars of Pleiades or a Supra cup.

But the real goal you would be working towards while completing cups is to fully complete a decade. When you complete all events in a decade, you would unlock a race championship or championships for that decade:
  • Completing all the 50s events would unlock a championship for cars like the W194 or the old Maserati
  • Completing all the 60s events would unlock a championship balanced for the three legendary cars (though you could still enter stuff like the 250 GT)
  • The 70s is kinda hard, only the 917K and 2J are there at the minute. This would need more cars added.
  • Completing the 80s would unlock a Group C Championship (you can use the early 90s cars) and a Group B rally championship
  • Completing the 90s would unlock a GT1 championship and a classic GT500 championship and a Group A rally championship
  • Completing the 00s would unlock an early LMP championship that would again need cars like the R8 and Speed 8 to be added
  • Completing the 10s would unlock a GT3 championship and an LMP1 championship
  • Completing the 20s would unlock a hypercar championship and a modern GT500 championship
Then beating all the decade race championships would unlock the "final boss" race championships like the X2019 or the formula cars, maybe the endurances too.

I like the idea because it puts the "learning about car history" idea (that's kind of the core ideal of the franchise at this point) into the actual races instead of being relegated to text everybody skips. But it also gives players freedom to do different stuff in different orders, while still retaining progression and having a goal people are aiming for.
Here's my attempt to fully flesh this out based on the current car roster. Obviously, this is a career mode that needs a lot of different cars to be used, so I've aimed so that most if not all of the prizes are directly useful in another cup.

Also there's more than one race in each round, I just didn't see the point in going into that much detail.

Sunday Cup

2010s round: MY 2010-2019, #Road Car, <200 bhp
2000s round: MY 2000-2009, #Road Car, <200 bhp

Prize car: 1985 Autobianchi A112

Clubman Cup

2010s round: MY 2010-2019, #Road Car, <300 bhp
2000s round: MY 2000-2009, #Road Car, <300 bhp
1990s round: MY 1990-1999, #Road Car, <300 bhp

Prize car: 1998 Sileighty

Lightweight K-Cup

2010s round: MY 2010-onwards, #Kei Car
1990s round: MY 1990-1999, #Kei Car

Prize car: 1989 Mazda Roadster NA

World Classic Car Series

1970s round: MY 1970-1979, #Road Car
1960s round: MY 1960-1969, #Road Car
1950s round: MY 1950-1959, #Road Car

Prize car: 1973 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R

Pickup Truck Race

2010s round: #Pickup Truck

Prize car: 2021 Toyota Himedic

SEMA Trophy

2010s round: #Gran Turismo Award

Prize car: Honda Civic EK Touring Car

Pebble Beach Trophy

1950s round: #Gran Turismo Trophy

Prize car: 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C

Birth of the Automobile

1950s round: #Road Car, MY before 1950

Prize car: 1958 Chevrolet Corvette C1

Polyphony Digital Cup

2020s round: MY 2020-2029, #Road Car, must be completely stock
2010s round: MY 2010-2019, #Road Car, must be completely stock
2000s round: MY 2000-2009, #Road Car, must be completely stock
1990s round: MY 1990-1999, #Road Car, must be completely stock
1980s round: MY 1980-1989, #Road Car, must be completely stock
1970s round: MY 1970-1979, #Road Car, must be completely stock
1960s round: MY 1960-1969, #Road Car, must be completely stock
1950s round: MY 1950-1959, #Road Car, must be completely stock

Prize car: 2021 Aston Martin Valkyrie

Tuning Car Grand Prix

Basically the Polyphony Digital Cup, except everything is tuned and tricked out. Think Clubman Cup+.

Prize car: 1995 Nismo 400R

Hypercar Parade

2020s round: #Road Car, costs more than 1,000,000 Cr. No MY restriction

Prize car: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO

Like the Wind

2020s round: The exact same restrictions as the GT7 SSRX Clubman Cup+ round

Prize car: GAC Maverick

Muscle Car Championship

2010s round: MY 2010-2019, #Road Car, USA
1960s round: MY 1960-1979, #Road Car, USA

Prize car: Ford Roadster

Ford Family Fun

2010s round: Focus RS or Focus ST.
1980s round: Sierra Cosworth

Prize car: 2015 Ford Mustang

Might of the Mustang

2010s round: Mustang GT
1970s round: Mustang Mach 1
1960s round: Mustang Boss 429

Prize car: 2006 Ford GT

Ford GT Cup

2010s round: 2017 Ford GT
2000s round: 2006 Ford GT

Prize car: 2018 Ford GT Race Car

Camaro Meeting

2010s round: Camaro SS and Camaro ZL1
1960s round: Camaro Z28

Prize car: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8

Corvette Festival

2020s round: C8
2010s round: C7s
2000s round: C6
1980s round: C4
1960s round: C2 and C3s
1950s round: C1

Prize car: 1959 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Racer

Dodge Power Trophy

2010s round: Charger Hellcat and Challenger Demon
1970s round: Charger Hemi, Challenger R/T and Super Bee

Prize car: 2002 Dodge Viper

Viper Vignettes

2010s round: 2013 Viper
2000s round: 2002 or 2006 Viper

Prize car: 2015 Dodge Viper GT3-R

European Classic Car Cup

1970s round: MY 1970-1979, #Road Car, European
1960s round: MY 1960-1969, #Road Car, European
1950s round: MY 1950-1959, #Road Car, European

Prize car: 1970 Porsche 917K

European Lightweights

2010s round: Manufacturer: BAC, Radical, KTM

Prize car: 2015 McLaren 650S GT3

Aston Martin Carnival

2020s round: MY 2020-2029, #Road Car, Aston Martin
2010s round: MY 2010-2019, #Road Car, Aston Martin
1960s round: MY 1960-1969, #Road Car, Aston Martin

Prize car: 1953 Aston Martin DB3S

Jaguar Trophy

2010s round: MY 2010-2019, #Road Car, Jaguar
1990s round: MY 1990-1999, #Road Car, Jaguar
1960s round: MY 1960-1969, #Road Car, Jaguar

Prize car: 2013 Radical SR3 SL

Club M

2010s round: M4, M2
2000s round: 2003/07 M3s
1980s round: 1989 M3s

Prize car: 2016 BMW M6 GT3 Endurance Model

AMG Extravanganza

2010s round: #Road Car, Manufacturer: AMG

Prize car: 1971 AMG SEL 6.8

911 Cup

2020s round: 992
2010s round: 991
2000s round: 996, 997
1990s round: 964, 993
1980s round: 930
1970s round: 901

Prize car: 1997 Porsche 911 GT1 Strassenversion

Ferrari Challenge

2010s round: F12, F8, LaFerrari
2000s round: Enzo, F430, 458
1990s round: Testarossa, F40, F50
1980s round: GTO
1970s round: 308, 365, 512BB
1960s round: 250 GT
1950s round: 500 Mondial

Prize car: 1967 Ferrari 330 P4

Lamborghini Exclusive

2020s round: Urus
2010s round: Aventador, Huracán
2000s round: Murciélago
1990s round: Diablo GT
1970s round: Both Countachs
1960s round: Miura

Prize car: 2011 Audi R18

Alfa Cup

2020s: Giulia GTAm
2010s: 4C
2000s: 8C (or the MiTo if you really want)
1960s: Giulia Sprint GTV

Prize car: 1993 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI

Tourist Trophy

2010s round: 2014 TTS
2000s round: 2009 TTS, 2003 TT 3.2

Prize car: 2015 Lamborghini Huracán

VW GTI Cup

2010s round: Scirocco, Polo, Golf VII
1970s round: Golf I GTI
1960s round: VW 1200 or Sambabus

Prize car: 2009 Audi TTS Coupé

Japanese Classic Car Cup

1970s round: MY 1970-1979, #Road Car, Japanese
1960s round: MY 1960-1969, #Road Car, Japanese

Prize car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R Nismo (R32)

Japanese '90s Festival

1990s round: MY 1990-1999, #Road Car, Japanese, power < 300 PS

Prize car: RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7

86 vs BRZ Cup

2020s round: GR86, second-gen BRZ
2010s round: All 86 GT variants, first-gen BRZ
1980s round: Corolla Levin, Sprinter Trueno

Prize car: 1997 Toyota Supra RZ

Supreme Supras

2020s round: GR Supra (inc. 2019 version)
1990s round: 1997 Supra RZ
1980s round: Supra Turbo

Prize car: 1997 Toyota Supra GT500

Stars of Pleiades

2010s round: MY 2010-2019, #Road Car, Manufacturer: Subaru
2000s round: MY 2090-2009, #Road Car, Manufacturer: Subaru
1990s round: MY 1990-1999, #Road Car, Manufacturer: Subaru

Prize car: 2000 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI

Z Heritage

2020s round: Z Performance
2000s round: Z33, Z34 (including Amuse 380RS)
1980s round: 300ZX
1970s round: 240ZG
1960s round: 1969 Fairlady Z

Prize car: 2002 Nissan Silvia

Silvia Sisters

2000s round: S15
1990s round: S14s, 180SX, Sileighty
1980s round: S13s

Prize car: Nissan Silvia Touring Car

GT-R Cup

2010s round: R35, R35 Nismo
2000s round: R34
1990s round: R32s, R33 (including 400R)
1970s round: Hakosuka, Kenmeri

Prize car: 1992 Nissan R92CP

Type R Meeting

2020s round: Civic FK8/FL5
2010s round: Civic FK2
2000s round: 2002 NSX
1990s round: 1992 NSX, EK Civics, DC2 Integras

Prize car: Garage RCR Civic

Evolution Meeting

2010s round: Lancer Evolution X/Final
2000s round: Lancer Evo VII-IX
1990s round: Lancer Evo I-VI

Prize car: 1998 Subaru Impreza 22B-STi

Roadster Cup

2020s round: Roadster ND NR-A
2010s round: Roadster ND S
1980s round: Roadster NA

Prize car: 2002 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R

Club RE

2010s round: RX-Vision
2000s round: RX-8
1990s round: RX-7s

Prize car: Mazda RX-Vision GT3 Concept

Note that each endurance gives a car that is useful for a specific decade championship; that's deliberate game design. Entry requirements are quite open here - you need to let casual players smurf these with the Tomahawk if they need to since it gates progression to the final boss.

Also I'm assuming Sony won't let "you must do 24 hour races to get the platinum" fly in the modern day.

2.4 Hours of Le Mans (Le Mans, 144 minutes)

Unlocked by completing all 12 generic cups
Entry requirements: #Racing Car (opponents will be in Gr.1)

Prize car: 2021 Toyota GR010

2.4 Hours of Nurburgring (Nurb 24h, 144 minutes)

Entry requirements: #Racing Car (opponents will be in Gr.3)

Prize car: 2013 Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3

2.4 Hours of Spa (Spa 24h, 144 minutes)

Entry requirements: #Racing Car (opponents will be in Gr.1)

Prize car: 2016 Porsche 919 Hybrid

Grand Valley 300km (GVH1, 59 laps)

Unlocked by completing all 12 American cups
Entry requirements: #Road Car

Prize car: 1970 Chaparral 2J

Trial Mountain 2 Hours (Trial Mountain, 120 minutes)

Entry requirements: #Road Car

Prize car: 1967 Ford Mark IV Race Car

Laguna Seca 200 miles (Laguna Seca, 90 laps)

Entry requirements: #Racing Car (opponents will be in American Gr.3)

Prize car: 1986 Peugeot 205 T16 Evo 2

Alsace Classic One-Hour (Alsace Village, 60 minutes)

Unlocked by completing all 12 European cups
Entry requirements: #Road Car, MY 1946-1979

Prize car: 1952 Mercedes W194

Seaside Survival (Dragon Trail Seaside, 58 laps)

Prize car: 1998 Mercedes CLK-LM

The Human Comedy (Lago Maggiore, 2 hours)

Prize car: 1989 Sauber Mercedes C9

Roadster Party Race (Tsukuba, 2 hours)

Unlocked by completing all 12 Japanese cups
Entry requirements: Any Mazda Roadster

Prize car: 1999 Nissan GT-R GT500

Kyoto 300km (Kyoto combined, 44 laps)

Entry requirements: #Road Car, MY 1989-2004, Japanese, <296 bhp

Prize car: 1995 Toyota Celica GT-FOUR Rally Car

Suzuka 2 Hours (Suzuka, 2 hours)

Entry requirements: #Racing Car (opponents will be in GT500 cars)

Prize car: 2016 Nissan GT-R Nismo GT500

1950s Historic Championship

Unlocked by completing all 1950s events above
Entry requirements: MY 1950-1959, #Racing Car

1960s Historic Championship

Unlocked by completing all 1960s events above
Entry requirements: MY 1960-1969, #Racing Car. Might specifically exclude the RA272 if that has somewhere else to go.

1970s Historic Championship

Unlocked by completing all 1970s events above
Entry requirements: MY 1970-1979, #Racing Car

1980s Group B Rally Championship

Unlocked by completing all 1980s events above
Entry requirements: MY 1980-1989, #Racing Car, Gr.B

1980s Group C Championship

Unlocked by completing all 1980s events above
Entry requirements: R92CP, 787B, 962 C, XJR-9, Sauber C9

1990s Group A Rally Championship

Unlocked by completing all 1990s events above
Entry requirements: MY 1990-1999, #Racing Car, Gr.B

1990s GT1 Championship

Unlocked by completing all 1990s events above
Entry requirements: McLaren F1 GTR '95, McLaren F1 GTR '97, CLK-LM, GT-One

2000s Classic Super GT Championship

Unlocked by completing all 2000s events above
Entry requirements: MY 1996-2005, #GT500

2010s GT3 Championship

Unlocked by completing all 2010s events above
Entry requirements: MY 2010-onwards, #Racing Car, Gr.3

2010s LMP1 Championship

Unlocked by completing all 2010s events above
Entry requirements: MY 2010-2019, #Racing Car, Gr.1

2020s Hypercar Championship

Unlocked by completing all 2020s events above
Entry requirements: MY 2020-onwards, #Racing Car, Gr.1

2020s Super GT Championship

Unlocked by completing all 2020s events above
Entry requirements: MY 2016-onwards, #GT500

Prize car for winning all championships: 2023 Super Formula SF23 / Toyota

Super Formula Championships

Unlocked by completing all decade championships and all endurances
Entry requirements: SF19, SF23

Basically the GT4 Formula GT event but in the Super Formulas

Prize car: 1988 McLaren MP4/4

Last edited:
Now I know Gran Turismo has always been known as the game with loads of cars. But do we really need so many?

If it were up to me I’d flip it round for the next game, put more resources into the tracks and have like 50 cars and 500 tracks instead.

With all 50 cars being 20-30 year old obscure ****boxes that you upgrade into race cars.

It’s a bloody good job it’s not up me really, isn’t it.

Last edited:
Now I know Gran Turismo has always been known as the game with loads of cars. But do we really need so many?

If it were up to me I’d flip it round for the next game, put more resources into the tracks and have like 50 cars and 500 tracks instead.

With all 50 cars being 20-30 year old obscure ****boxes that you upgrade into race cars.

For balance, I'll say if I was in charge, I'd 'can off Sport Mode, GT League, GT Cafe Menus, all the rest of the tracks, and just have a hot lap mode at Tsukuba and the Nordschleife...

.. but there's 5000 cars.

We need 1000 cars.

I came up with the idea of splitting the career mode into three parts. This allows you to get the benefits of all modes.
One is the classic GT style GT mode. This is the core single-player content, and players are free to take on various events.

The second one is a cafe. The reason this feature was controversial in GT7 was that progression in career mode was effectively tied to this mode. I love PD's idea of wanting players to learn about the history and culture of cars through the cafe, but it wasn't a good idea to force this on players. By making the content independent from career progression, like the extra menu, players can approach this mode more positively.

And the third is the mission race. This is also the same as past GTs. The reason I made this part unrelated to GT mode is that not all players love difficult events, drifting, and drag racing.

And I think GT mode events should be based on classic GT rather than GT7 style.
The biggest problem with GT7 events is that there are too many events that are specified based on multiple conditions, such as the region where the car was manufactured, the drive system, whether it is turbocharged or not.
Of course, there are some events that do not have strict eligibility requirements. But these are either too easy events, or they are Chili Pepper events with less strict car requirements but stricter PP limits.

Let's bring back events like the "Compact Car Cup," "Station Wagon Cup," and "FR Challenge" that the classic GT had.
Additionally, ultra-high speed oval events with no restrictions, such as the Mega Speed Cup, are also necessary races for GT.
These events helped make the grind less painful for players, but more than that, they gave us the fun of building super fast cars.

And while this may be controversial, I would like to see a return to random, exclusive, and repeatable prize cars.

There are several issues with this content. However, it is also true that the randomly available prize cars gave us a reason to participate in the same event and gave us the excitement of not knowing what we would receive.

In order to balance this fun with a modern gaming experience, I have come up with several improvements.

1: The prize cars are different variants of existing models. For example, players can purchase the Toyota Crown at Brand Central, but the Toyota Crown Safety Car can only be obtained through prize cars. It would also be a good idea to use a race car with a different livery as a prize car, such as the "stealth model" that existed in GT6.

2: It is possible to sell the prize car, but it cannot be sold at a high price. This is a restriction to prevent players from repeating expensive prize races due to the grind.

3: As a used car dealer's "Special Pick", players will be given the opportunity to purchase these prize exclusive cars only on anniversaries such as Christmas. This is an idea to make the anniversary even more special and give these cars to players in a way other than a prize car.

And this has nothing to do with career mode events, but it's an idea I'd like to see.
  • If the player continues to use the same car, it will become properly dirty with oil and dust. You can use the car wash function to keep your car clean, or you can leave those stains as a memory.

• A "resume" for each car. Whether you own a new or used car, we can tell you when you bought it, how much you spent on upgrades, and how many kilometers you drove it. This will allow us to have a deeper love for each car.

• Brand and model loyalty system. For example, a player cannot purchase a VGT immediately upon starting the game. However, by accumulating achievements such as "winning X number of races with that brand's cars" or "purchasing X number of cars of that brand", the brand and the player will become more connected, and the player will be entitled to purchase VGTs. Other benefits include permanent discounts on that brand's cars at Brand Central and access to extreme upgrades such as engine replacements.

• "User Pick" system at used car dealerships and Legend Dealers. A player can select any 10 cars from the UCD/LCD content and he gets one dedicated slot where the cars in that list will be sold randomly. This is a way to balance the randomness of UCD/LCD with the player's desire for specific cars.

Have you been hacking me and my mates’ Friday night game?

Sure GT8 in development? If so, Great! We'll get to see it in 7-8 years.

Kaz, 'Thank you for your optimism.'

Here're following mistakes they should learn from [GTSport II rehashed called] GT7;
  • Always needing an internet connection - Making it feel more like an MMO game
  • Grimy MTX/microtransactions - Guess could be daddy SIE pushing Polyphony Digital for that
  • Not having mid-save during race sessions
  • Players must keep grinding if they're stuck during their progression in career mode
  • Virtual legendary sports cars correlating with real worlds' x10++ the current inflation
  • Price roulette has been deliberately coded: Return 1:100 against [Player]
  • Most contents & mechanics were recycled from GT Sport [PS4] at launch. FACTS.

Last edited:
SBX
Sure GT8 in development? If so, Great! We'll get to see it in 7-8 years.

Kaz, 'Thank you for your optimism.'

Here're following mistakes they should learn from [GTSport II rehashed called] GT7;
  • Always needing an internet connection - Making it feel more like an MMO game
  • Grimy MTX/microtransactions - Guess could be daddy SIE pushing Polyphony Digital for that
  • Not having mid-save during race sessions
  • Players must keep grinding if they're stuck during their progression in career mode
  • Virtual legendary sports cars correlating with real worlds' x10++ the current inflation
  • Price roulette has been deliberately coded: Return 1:100 against [Player]
  • Most contents & mechanics were recycled from GT Sport [PS4] at launch. FACTS.
Gt7 had 86 new cars when it launched some was returning. Witch is more than most current racing game has had, there should be more through. A lot from gt sport carried over. But their is also plenty of new elements gt sport didint have and most important thing is we have tuning shop and gt auto back witch allows for so much more freedom for every roadcar in gt7 campared to sport. Full vr support, dynamic wheather etc.

Gt8 is most likely only 3 years away at most

Dont forget that meanwhile they was working on gt7 they added new cars for gt sport. Like 160-170 cars was added in its life.

Last edited:
Gt7 had 86 new cars when it launched some was returning. Witch is more than most current racing game has had, there should be more through. A lot from gt sport carried over. But their is also plenty of new elements gt sport didint have and most important thing is we have tuning shop and gt auto back witch allows for so much more freedom for every roadcar in gt7 campared to sport. Full vr support, dynamic wheather etc.

Gt8 is most likely only 3 years away at most

Dont forget that meanwhile they was working on gt7 they added new cars for gt sport. Like 160-170 cars was added in its life.
Suppose arrival of PS4's spanking successor at 1/2K price in short supply whilst ongoing global lockdown
must've gotten in the way of GT7 reaching possible milestones;
i.e. excluding first three update circuits+layouts, near catalogue of 500 wheels, A.I. Sophy [Trial Version].

SIE, 'Launch damn toddler. Then we'll spoon feed it afterwards, san. Cheers!

Being well fed with update nutrition for two years - Going by previous GT games,
we’ve got at least another 3-4 years 'at most' before THE Arrival from Cloud 8th!

The Lion King GIF by Walt Disney Studios

Last edited:
Here's the idea I've always in my head, which I don't remotely have the artistic talent to mock up unfortunately.

GT is better when it focuses on the cars rather than being about the driver IMO - that's far better done by sims that focus on racing cars. So I've tried to fit the career to the car roster, rather than trying to force a racing sim career onto a car roster that isn't built for it.

The main career screen would be a timeline, with rows for each decade between the 1950s to 2020s (with maybe a nebulous "future" one after that for VGT stuff). Then, you'd have cups, based on various road car themes, that go across the timeline like so:
  • An 86 vs BRZ Cup cup that would have a 1980s round for the Levin/Trueno, a 2010s round for the gen 1 86/BRZ, and a 2020s round for the gen 2 GR86/BRZ.
  • A Corvette Festival cup that would have a 50s round for the C1, a 60s round for the C2/C3, an 80s round for the C4, an 00s round for the C6, a 10s round for the C7 and a 20s round for the C8. A 90s round could be added if a C5 was DLC.
  • A SEMA cup that would currently just have a 10s round, but could add a 00s round if previous winners were added.
  • Ferrari Challenge, which would have rounds in every decade (except the 20s currently)
  • You could also do entry level stuff like Sunday Cup, which would combine the current Sunday Cup and Sunday Cup Classic (and actually have a power limit this time), so you'd have an entry level event to enter your Mazda3 in.
Winning all events in a cup would provide a car that would help for a related cup, for example the 86/BRZ cup might reward you with an Impreza or a Supra for Stars of Pleiades or a Supra cup.

But the real goal you would be working towards while completing cups is to fully complete a decade. When you complete all events in a decade, you would unlock a race championship or championships for that decade:
  • Completing all the 50s events would unlock a championship for cars like the W194 or the old Maserati
  • Completing all the 60s events would unlock a championship balanced for the three legendary cars (though you could still enter stuff like the 250 GT)
  • The 70s is kinda hard, only the 917K and 2J are there at the minute. This would need more cars added.
  • Completing the 80s would unlock a Group C Championship (you can use the early 90s cars) and a Group B rally championship
  • Completing the 90s would unlock a GT1 championship and a classic GT500 championship and a Group A rally championship
  • Completing the 00s would unlock an early LMP championship that would again need cars like the R8 and Speed 8 to be added
  • Completing the 20s would unlock a hypercar championship and a modern GT500 championship
Then beating all the decade race championships would unlock the "final boss" race championships like the X2019 or the formula cars, maybe the endurances too.

I like the idea because it puts the "learning about car history" idea (that's kind of the core ideal of the franchise at this point) into the actual races instead of being relegated to text everybody skips. But it also gives players freedom to do different stuff in different orders, while still retaining progression and having a goal people are aiming for.
Absolutely love that idea, it addresses one of my biggest complaints about the game, that they put so much love and passions into the car models, pick so interesting and important cars, and the museums and all that stuff.. and then these events, where they throw a bunch of cars which in several cases belong together loosely at best, into one race instead of making the player experience that love for automotive history on the track too, just feels so incosequent.
Experiencing the history of a model like in your example with the Corvette, would be great and would add a lot more depth to these cars for the player I would guess, even when we already have all these cars in the game.
The same could be done with the Ferraris like starting with 288 GTO, than the F40, F50, and so on. Or make one about the midengined Ferraris, starting with the Dino.
Or start with the Porsche 356 till the latest 911, put some history between the races, some infos about the cars and their developments, the improvements or changes to their predecessors. This would make some memorable races I imagine.

SBX
Suppose arrival of PS4's spanking successor at 1/2K price in short supply whilst ongoing global lockdown
must've gotten in the way of GT7 reaching possible milestones;
i.e. excluding first three update circuits+layouts, near catalogue of 500 wheels, A.I. Sophy [Trial Version].

SIE, 'Launch damn toddler. Then we'll spoon feed it afterwards, san. Cheers!

Being well fed with update nutrition for two years - Going by previous GT games,
we’ve got at least another 3-4 years 'at most' before THE Arrival from Cloud 8th!

The Lion King GIF by Walt Disney Studios
Another 3 years at most But likely at least 2 more years. Its pretty likely gt8 will be revealed next year. With a release of late 2026 or sometime in 2027. And gt7 updates will slow down in 2025 if i guess right. The last big update will proably be in november 24 with ps5 pro patch.

Another 3 years at most But likely at least 2 more years. Its pretty likely gt8 will be revealed next year. With a release of late 2026 or sometime in 2027. And gt7 updates will slow down in 2025 if i guess right. The last big update will proably be in november 24 with ps5 pro patch.
uReckon it could be..
Polyphony Digital Shows Gran Turismo 7 Circuit Scanning and Creation Methods at CEDEC 2022_.png

Oh...
Jason Bateman GIF by MOODMAN
!!!

-Making the game actually about RACING instead of being a history museum.

-Have a proper actual career mode starting from junior club series working up to IMSA/WEC

-Full race weekend simulations (practice, qualifying and race)

-Full multi-class racing for endurance
Ever since GT4 the game has celebrated car culture and history. This is the only game in the entire industry that does that, and it adds a lot to the passion and polish of the game. That aspect has become what makes GT unique in the industry and elevates it above all the others as not just a game but an experience. If you don't care about that then GT isn't your game.

- GT8 should absolutely keep the same basic formula as we've seen from GT4 and on. Celebrate cars, history, art, and music. Keep the game cultured and a thorough experience for everybody who loves any of those genres. Keep in mind that some people don't even hardly race, they just take photos or they just make liveries.

- The menu structures of GT5 and 6 were miserable and impersonal. Just a bunch of squares to click on, like Forza or something. GT2 debuted a network-like meny system that felt like you were travelling from place to place. GT4 expanded on that with lovely minimalist graphics that gave each event in the game a sense of place. GT7 does it also, and it's nice, although personally I would've preferred a GT4-like minimalist map rather than these realistic graphics. Perhaps GT8 could expand even further on this idea of place and give us a more intricate presentation - for example, GT4's garage view was cute and quirky, it felt very personalized, so what if GT8's garage goes beyond simply showing an icon of a building on the map but then showcases our car(s) inside the garage, combining what we saw in GT Sport and what we see in the Legends dealership. I want to feel like I'm home when I'm in my garage. GT4's presentation obviously wasn't that intricate but something about it was cute and felt good. I would actually be okay with a similar presentation in GT8, if they can't give us a full garage interior experience.

- Menu music is a big deal in GT. GT4's songs were perfect, at least to me and my nostaligia-focused taste, with its remixed GT2 songs. I still play them to this day. One problem with those old GT games however was that every time you enter a menu the music changes, and because the PS5 loads menus so quickly, we literally only hear a few seconds of each song in GT7. This is one of the "nostalgia" aspects of GT7 that should've been left behind. GTS perfected the music presentation by not only having great musical choices with atmospheric sounds but also by having perpetual play, meaning you could actually enjoy the whole sound track no matter what menus you were in. I learned most of GTS's songs while creating liveries for hours. That method of play is what we want, however I'd like for nostalgic songs to reappear in GT8.

- I like the idea of the car menus and their reward presentations. At the beginning of the game it almost struck me like a Pokemon game, choosing my starter car. Eh...I didn't mind it but it didn't quite seem dedicated enough. I actually would like more Pokemon-like RPG elements in the game. I wish the starter cars were more varied to guide you on different paths for the first couple hours of gameplay - one FF car, one FR or MR car, one AWD car. Then, like Pokemon games, and like GT2 and GT4, after you earn yourself a little income you can finally dig into the wide world of used cars and expand your path to whatever events you want.

- Speaking of used cars, USED CARS! Like, hundreds of them. I'm thinking GT2 and GT4 here - exotics and classics are nice but there are a tremendous number of cheap cars in the world that are more fun to buy for cheap and build into something high performance. This is literally how most of us treat our own cars, the difference in real life we can't possibly own and modify dozens of all the old cars we always wanted to drive when we were children.

- The market. I personally don't care about the used car "market" at all. I like that they finally added selling to the game and I suppose the market price thing feels fleshed out and nicely presented but it doesn't actually add any gameplay for me. As for Hagerty...as a company and brand I like Hagerty, however the numbers within the game need to be pared down. Either the prices of the cars need to be adjusted by some sort of percentage, or the payouts in the game need to be increased massively. Also, events such as the missions should be allowed to be run repeatedly for continued payouts. It would be nice to run the challenges in various different cars and still get credits.

- Speaking of missions, more missions, real legit endurance races (there are like five or six tracks where real-life endurance races take place), and B-Spec. We've all been talking about it for years. B-Spec could add more RPG aspects to the game as well.

Overall I think GT7 is on a good track as a basis for GT8. The core of what GT should be is there, we're mostly squabbling over the details of credit balancing and content, etc. When it comes to actual game design, the biggest change I'd like to see is more Pokemon-like RPG elements. The great thing about the classic Pokemon games is that there were a ton of things in the game you could accomplish but many different ways and timelines of doing them, all of which allowed you to be successful over time. The key would be a little bit of guidance at the very beginning of the game, opening up within a couple hours to broad possibilities just like GT4 allowed. I mention GT4 because the events in GT4 were better organized - it was still open-choice, however the presentation felt like it offered more guidance if you wanted it, without actually trapping you. GT7's events are not very well organized and does not feel presented like an RPG or a career at all.

The biggest aspect of GT7 that needs to be heavily rebalanced is the "classism" present within the game, or the exclusivity with which some cars are given within the game. We are people who exist in the real world, and a lot of us experience real classism on a daily basis. I'm not trying to get political but the bottom line is that many of us play video games precisely to experience the things that we'll never be able to experience in real life. GT7's credit balance is so off that even several years on, and after hundreds of ours of gameplay, a lot of us still can never experience these cars, even in a damn video game. That's a real shame. It shouldn't be easy mind you - remember there were plenty of exclusive Pokemon that were a real pain to capture, however it was doable after a little bit of extra work. There is a difference between the amount of effort it required in Pokemon games versus the literal hundreds, possibly thousands of hours required to do it in GT7. Literally years of my life. Lately, the invitation system has been talked about a lot and that system is downright offensive. I believe that most players of modest means in real life believe in their hearts that the real-life system of exotic car invitiations is classist and unfair. That particular aspect of the game needs to be axed.

Edit: Almost all of my opinions on game design have to do with single-player. I value single-player GT much more highly than multiplayer and I think the current setup of separating the two game modes is important. There is basically only one thing that could ruin GT for me as a franchise and that would be integrating multiplayer across the game. Other people are animals and I'm not trying to deal with that. GT is where I got when I want to relax and get away, and other people tend to ruin that almost immediately. I don't really care what PD does with the multiplayer design because other players will always attempt to be cheats and scoundrels regardless.

Last edited:
- The menu structures of GT5 and 6 were miserable and impersonal. Just a bunch of squares to click on, like Forza or something. GT2 debuted a network-like meny system that felt like you were travelling from place to place. GT4 expanded on that with lovely minimalist graphics that gave each event in the game a sense of place. GT7 does it also, and it's nice, although personally I would've preferred a GT4-like minimalist map rather than these realistic graphics. Perhaps GT8 could expand even further on this idea of place and give us a more intricate presentation - for example, GT4's garage view was cute and quirky, it felt very personalized, so what if GT8's garage goes beyond simply showing an icon of a building on the map but then showcases our car(s) inside the garage, combining what we saw in GT Sport and what we see in the Legends dealership. I want to feel like I'm home when I'm in my garage. GT4's presentation obviously wasn't that intricate but something about it was cute and felt good. I would actually be okay with a similar presentation in GT8, if they can't give us a full garage interior experience.

-
How about something like a little hub world to drive around in that also acts as the menu? Of course you’d have a ‘map mode’ that works in the same way as the current overworld menu system if you haven’t much time, but there’s also an icon you can click that transports you to the wheel of your car outside of your garage, and you can then actually drive around the little island to get to the license centre or the cafe etc. if you fancy it.

And you can see and interact with other players along the way so it’s a bit like the paddock while it’s at it, and you can also be like “race you to the mission hall and back” and stuff I dunno, might be fun.

Last edited:
I have a few ideas I would look to implement in my ideal Gran Turismo type racing game.

Firstly, I would create a very in depth racing career, it would be broken down into various categories, each with a wide range of events. You would start off in Club Racing, this would be where you can take your starter car and other low powered cars.

There would be a couple of a competitions you could enter without a license of you could obtain a club racing license. Other than the first license, which you could obtain for a small fee from the start, other licenses will unlock as you gain experience. I would make the licenses require a one off fee and unlock when you hit a certain milestone in races that match the previous license level. So the Intermediate Club license would require that you enter and complete at least 10 races at the Novice Club licenses level, and then you can pay for the license with a one off fee.

I would introduce a Driving School, this would be where challenges similar to what we've had in previous GT license tests would be located. Completing different challenges/groups of challenges will unlock cars and other rewards.

Once you progress out of the club level, you will be able to enter races in various different disciplines. These would be Touring Car Racing, GT Sportscar Racing, Rally Racing, Rally Cross, Time Trials, Drag Racing, Manufacturer Events and Special Events.

Each of these would have sub categories, which would work as sort of mini-careers. For instance, a Touring Masters League would start with a choice of national Junior Touring Car events based in different countries. Winning any on of those would unlock the Pro-Touring Car events, then International Events and finally a World Championship. You could have competitions for Touring Estates where the first competition is for cars with up to 200bhp, then the cars increase with power as you progress thorugh that league etc.

It would be similar in the GT Sportscar discipline with a league for Superlights and one for prototypes etc.

Manufacturer events would be one make races and other interesting events that are limited by manufacturer/s, so would include things like events that pit Impreza's against Lance Evolutions and so on.

Special Events would be where anything that doesn't fit one of the other specific diciplines could go, your tranditional FF car events, MR car events etc. Events for cars with V8's and more.

Each race event would have three possible prize cars to win, you will win a prize car for finishing the event in the top 3 positions. Finishing 1st would allow you the pick of which car you want to win. If you finish 2nd, one of the cars is randomly taken out of the choice (1st place picked it). If you finish 3rd then you are randomply given one of the 3 possible prize cars. This gives people more control over what they win, but it also incetivises players to play at a difficulty where winning is not a given while still rewarding them well, yet all the while giving a bonus to finihsihng 2nd over 3rd or 1st over 2nd.

I would include the option to invite any friends to enter any single player event with you, so if you wanted, the single player event can be slightly multiplayer. I would try to improve the multiplayer, have more variety in the races offered etc. But I would defer more decision making on that to people who understand and game online, unlike myself.

I would bring back B-Spec, but I would bring it back as a virtual team mate you can hire. Then you can send them into races by thmselves, or enter as a 2nd driver in endurance races.

I would also add the ability to create your own events, sinlgle races and multi race championships as well as challenges. These could then be made availalbe to share and other players could download created events from an online store like the liveries are currently. There would be a lot of potential for some brilliant creativity here.

I would include something like what was done in Need for Speed Pro Street, where you could tweak the body parts for your cars, make that wing wider, taller, deeper etc. Make that bonnet outtake smaller or bigger etc.

I would love to include a track creator as well, but I also have to think about feature creep at this stage, but that would perfectly compliment the event creator.

I would make the events generally be rolling or standing grid starts unless if makes sesne to do otherwise. Rally races would be against the clock, different events would feature different sized grids and each discipline would have inherant rules that apply to all events in that discipline. So rally would always be on a point to point stage, touring cars would be production/production based cars with 4 or more seats. GT Sportscars would be 2 door cars etc. Then each event within that discipline would have other rules added to that, power, weight, maximum aerodynamics etc.

Last edited:
I personally love the missions and license tests as they are. It just feels like a GT right of passage, that's one of the unique aspects of the game that we all know and expect and that no other game does. They could throw in some more funzies somehow I'm sure - they actually doubled up GT7's tests which I enjoyed but they could make them even more challenging somehow with more adverse weather, poor visibility, blowing snow, etc.

Gotta be honest, I don't remember much of 5 and 6 but I thought Goodwood and the Moon were great fun and the perfect type of weird for GT. The game has to have a little humor in it. GT4 and GT7 had some great missions, I just wish there were a lot more of them. And frankly, simply bringing some back from GT4 verbatim would be enjoyable.

@Dave A I like the mini career subcategory idea. Feels like that semi-guided open concept I was thinking of. You can do whatever you want but these categories help you choose.

Last edited:

I wanted a way to visualise this, it was annoying me that I didn't have one.

So when I had a few hours last night, I ground out a special version of the custom race generator that's seeded with these events so that you can see how the races would work in a career structure like this. It's got more to do than I expected, probably a bit too much to be honest, but looking at it I think the concept is sound.

I love the fact that the premise of this thread is free rein to redesign the whole game, and we still have people just listing their one or two gripes that they post in every thread.

Imagination is running at a deficit, it seems.
Well, for a lot of people (me included) the basic core of this game is excellent already despite all the moaning that a lot of us like to do. GT8 does not need to be completely different from the ground up and if they implement certain changes and improvements plus of course plenty of new content, then PD are onto a winner.

Back