Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 10,824 comments
We had 2 stops at the X2019 race at Lago Maggiore since we had to use all 3 dry compounds. That race was surprisingly good since there were multiple pit & tire strategies at play.
Sadly that was the time when there were issues loading into races, so some of us didn't get to do that one.

Really questioning why R2 has a longer quali than race, looked like potentially a great combo now reduced to Daily B length
I wonder if that is a data entry error. Maybe they meant for it to be 10 laps and 5 minute qualifying. 🤷‍♂️

Yay! This year's GTWS looks great to me for the following reasons:
1. GT2/3 now get same distance as GT1. Thank you, PD, for not treating us as second class citizens!
2. 4 real-life tracks.
3. Honda RA272!
4. One grid start (not having false start check is a bummer but I will still take grid start over perpetual rolling starts).

While I typically skip fictional tracks but I might give it a try because I found this amazing livery for the Living Legend. :D
1712848389809.png

I had subscribed to PS Plus only for one month to take part in the 20-lap Spa daily race (those races were as clean as typical GTWS events btw). Now I am going to subscribe for one more month to get full participation in the GTWS.

Really questioning why R2 has a longer quali than race, looked like potentially a great combo now reduced to Daily B length
It's mimicking the live event race from last season which was also the RA272 at Watkins Glen for 5 laps with a rolling start. Even when they finally give this car a meaningful race, it's still basically just another stupid Race A like all the other open wheel races we've had in GT7 so far, but with 6x the wait between races...

At least it'll be worth some points...

It's mimicking the live event race from last season which was also the RA272 at Watkins Glen for 5 laps with a rolling start. Even when they finally give this car a meaningful race, it's still basically just another stupid Race A like all the other open wheel races we've had in GT7 so far, but with 6x the wait between races...

At least it'll be worth some points...
Using live event races for the exhibition seasons makes sense, but why for the real seasons? The same people that did them the first time will be doing them again to qualify again!

Using live event races for the exhibition seasons makes sense, but why for the real seasons? The same people that did them the first time will be doing them again to qualify again!
Would've been nice to have the MP4/4 race at Interlagos in an exhibition season instead of (YET AGAIN) Race A for half a week...

My fastest lap in the TT so far 3:36.709 I'm losing so much time on the entry to Tertre Rouge and it's killing the rest of my lap by at least half a second. I either go in to hot and get a penalty, or I'm too slow and lose a bunch of time down the straight. Those top guys hitting 33's are just on another planet. Hope I can get near this time in the race quali.

Last edited:
Sharing my findings after doing a full length race conditions test for round 1 last night. I'm assuming everyone's using the Toyota GT-One.

The fuel will just about go the distance without any efforts at fuel saving but it was right on the line. A tiny bit of short shifting whilst under slipstream may be worth it to avoid any last lap mishaps arising from the higher revs it would otherwise cause.

I didn't change tyres to see what would happen. They felt OK up until about lap 7-8, and the rear left went completely red halfway through lap 10. The car didn't become an undriveable mess but didn't feel very good towards the end. I'm definitely thinking a tyre change will be faster.

Now that I'm in GT1, I can join everyone else saying we need more slots.

I'll only be able to run Wednesday races with all the times in the afternoon/evening for me.

At least I'll be able to run a few races.
Welcome to the club.

The only two races that really pique my interest are on Wednesdays (LeMans and Daytona). Typically, I am only available mid-afternoon on Wednesdays and with all the GT1 slots being at night (7:00, 9:00, and 11:00 for ESTers).... yea. 😐 Already seen a few GTP members who've eared the jump to GT1 now seeing why it sucks. Thanks, Kaz.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club.

The only two races that really pique my interest are on Wednesdays (LeMans and Daytona). Typically, I am only available mid-afternoon on Wednesdays and with all the GT1 slots being at night (7:00, 9:00, and 11:00 for ESTers).... yea. 😐 Already seen a few GTP members who've eared the jump to GT1 now seeing why it sucks. Thanks, Kaz.
Sadly I'm tempted to drop down to DR:B to get into GT2, as with the GT1 time slots I can't make the Le Mans round already, and don't want to commit staying at home the following three Saturday afternoons to play a game. Wish they'd at least space out the three time slots so those who can make one of morning, afternoon or evening could get a chance to race.

I just went with GT1 as the likelihood is that I'll be in the office on Wednesday so will only have the 5-7 slots anyways.

That said I signed up as GT1 and deep forest has decimated me to B/B this week organically so should have waited to sign up.....

Each championship may only be six rounds, but man, this Nations Cup looks like a blast. I'll definitely try to make room in my schedule to do as many races as I can. Looks like one of them even requires not one, but two mandatory pit stops.

EDIT: It's definitely interesting that the TS020 seems to be the dominant choice for this first round. I wonder how the McLaren F1 GTR Longtail and Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM compare in particular? My bet is that the sextet of GT500 cars - plus the "Class One" DTM car - all have a higher level of downforce that works against them on the Circuit de la Sarthe while being great on most circuits, as opposed to the three late-90s racers. Sort of like how the CLK-LM was the most popular choice on Sardegna A - another high-speed course with lots of straights. I'd be profoundly surprised if the CLK-LM and/or TS020 remained the most popular picks for a course with a lot more turns, such as Suzuka.

Last edited:
My fastest lap in the TT so far 3:36.709
Welp! Here I was feeling pretty good about myself for clocking a lap at 3.42.2 last night.
with all the GT1 slots being at night (7:00, 9:00, and 11:00 for ESTers).... yea. 😐 Already seen a few GTP members who've eared the jump to GT1 now seeing why it sucks. Thanks, Kaz.
As somebody who's been recently promoted to DR A, I can't say I'm thrilled about the GT1 slot times. I'm lucky that I can make them work, but I much prefer the GT2/3 times.

For me, heavy damage and the lack of Gr.4 cars in the Manu Cup are the bigger problems with GT1.
Sadly I'm tempted to drop down to DR:B to get into GT2
I'm not going to go out of my way to drop my DR for Manu Cup, but I'm under 10% into DR A. I'm half hoping that the Nations Cup will expose me for the poser I am and get me relegated back to DR B before the Manu Cup starts.

The only downside of that would be that I'd be stuck driving Suzuki as that was the only manufacturer that no Canadian GT2 drivers picked in the most recent exhibition season. I don't enjoy driving either of the Gr.3 or Gr.4 Suzuki cars.

Welp! Here I was feeling pretty good about myself for clocking a lap at 3.42.2 last night.

As somebody who's been recently promoted to DR A, I can't say I'm thrilled about the GT1 slot times. I'm lucky that I can make them work, but I much prefer the GT2/3 times.

For me, heavy damage and the lack of Gr.4 cars in the Manu Cup are the bigger problems with GT1.

I'm not going to go out of my way to drop my DR for Manu Cup, but I'm under 10% into DR A. I'm half hoping that the Nations Cup will expose me for the poser I am and get me relegated back to DR B before the Manu Cup starts.

The only downside of that would be that I'd be stuck driving Suzuki as that was the only manufacturer that no Canadian GT2 drivers picked in the most recent exhibition season. I don't enjoy driving either of the Gr.3 or Gr.4 Suzuki cars.
Maybe this will bring more awareness or validity for PD to add Gr.4 to GT1.

I wouldn't worry about my times, it's par for the course as they say. I'm sitting at around the 70k mark in DR now, so I've got no choice but to be fast, if I want to compete with the other drivers around me. I wouldn't consider myself a naturally fast driver, I've had to work at it.

People doing the TTing for multiple laps are reporting no rain. I hope this isn't the case for the race or it'll be a glorified Daily C.
I wonder if they doing that TT trick where they just give you normal conditions then dynamic weather for the race?
Done that a few times lately in GTWS

I might practice a few laps in wet conditions just incase. I wonder if some rain would then make the GT500 cars more dominant?

I've been doing some strategy testing for Rd.1. Driving the GT-One. Here's how things are looking for me (details in this spreadsheet, if you want to see the numbers).

SequenceStrategyOpt timeBest timeTotal TimeAvg time
51RM-9RM (no tire change) #23:40.2873:42.68437:35.7973:45.580
62RM-8RM3:40.2313:42.42937:44.1553:46.416
23RM-7RM3:41.3523:43.71737:54.8693:47.487
34RM-6RM3:40.8213:43.08337:55.1473:47.515
45RM-5RM3:41.2923:42.64237:56.3523:47.635
11RM-9RM (no tire change) #13:43.5743:46.13538:16.7493:49.675

So far, I've had my best result with a no-tire-change strategy by nearly 20 seconds over the 3RM-7RM strategy (with a tire change). It was also my most recent test, and as you can see, my pace improved considerably between my first and last attempts. I'm not entirely sure how much of that 20 seconds can be attributed to strategy and how much to just improving my pace. I will probably re-run the 3RM-7RM test again to see how big the difference really is.

Tread levels at pit (ordered by total time):
StrategyFront leftFront rightRear leftRear right
1RM-9RM (no tire change) #295%95%90%90%
3RM-7RM80%85%70%75%
2RM-8RM90%90%80%85%
4RM-6RM70%75%55%60%
5RM-5RM65%70%40%55%
1RM-9RM (no tire change) #195%95%90%90%

Tread levels at finish (ordered by total time):
StrategyFront leftFront rightRear leftRear right
1RM-9RM (no tire change) #240%60%0%30%
2RM-8RM60%70%35%45%
3RM-7RM65%75%40%50%
4RM-6RM60%75%45%55%
5RM-5RM70%80%55%60%
1RM-9RM (no tire change) #145%60%5%30%

In the more recent no-tire-change strategy test, the rear left tire went fully red in the final lap. The car was drivable throughout, but on the final couple laps, the back was noticeably wanting to slide out. I saw the biggest impact of tire wear on the final sector.

Edit: Add 2RM-8RM test.

Last edited:
Just to see, I did three laps in the GT-One and three laps in the McLaren Longtail. Both felt like decent enough laps so we'll go with them. Times are below:

Toy: 3:38.005
Mac: 3:41.931

Four seconds delta. That's insane. It's really unfortunate because the McLaren is so fun to drive around LeMans. Just enough loseness in the rear but easy to catch to keep it fun. And no insane turbo lag to deal with. I have no idea of the tirewear or fuel consumption of the Big Mac, though.

I've been out of a the game for a while but I'm going to give this season a go. Is there anything important I should know?

@Moose78 Your best and worst time was a no pit strategy?
Yeah. The very first test that I ran was a no-tire-change strategy. I was still learning how to drive the car on the track. As I ran more tests, I gradually improved my pace. I went back and re-ran the no-tire-change strategy at the end because I thought I might be able to do it faster, and I did.

What can I say? For me, every round is a learning process.

Back