GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,527 comments
The split in SR is at 90/half bar, SR S starts at 80, and goes to 100 SR. So the naughty lobby is once you’re under half bar of SR, or SR 90. Staying above that gives you your best chance of cleaner races.

lobbies are ranked by SR first, then by DR, but the DR isn’t quite ranked proper numerically. Don’t gets a bit screwy at DR B and under. Keeping your SR above half the bar/90 SR will keep you in the best lobbies that your DR will allow for, and theoretically the cleanest lobbies at that time as well.

View attachment 1347556
View attachment 1347557
View attachment 1347558
@Pigems That’s an interesting explanation, but if matchmaking is on an SR first basis, surely you shouldn’t see lobbies as @Tuono_GT described and as shown in the picture of SMcQueen46’s lobby, 2 posts above, where there is a DR-C/SR-E grouped with DR-D/SR-S drivers? If ranked on an SR first basis should you not only be grouped with players either in the SR value immediately below or above yours? Eg If you’re SR-S your should only get lobbies which are populated by SR-S and SR-A drivers?

Last edited:
@Pigems That’s an interesting explanation, but if matchmaking is on an SR first basis, surely you shouldn’t see lobbies as @Tuono_GT described and as shown in the picture of SMcQueen46’s lobby, 2 posts above, where there is a DR-C/SR-E grouped with DR-D/SR-S drivers? If ranked on an SR first basis should you not only be grouped with players either in the SR value immediately below or above yours? Eg If you’re SR-S your should only get lobbies which are populated by SR-S and SR-A drivers?
It all depends on participation at the time of entry, the game doesn’t always have enough players to make all rooms matched perfectly. It starts filling in empty spots with “the closest fit” as it goes down the list of entries. And remember, under DR B( DR 9,999 or less, it gets wonky on matchmaking be a use of the way it orders numbers under 10k.

Last edited:
I had a bit of free time this morning, so I jumped onto Sport mode on my main GT account (aka child no.1's PS account), to have a crack a setting a QT for the Spa Daily Race B. Somehow after just 2 laps I pulled an absolute Unicorn (for me) 2:18.6, which I know isn't fast in this forum, but given the best I'd managed was a 2:20.4 on my new Alt account this week, I was stunned. I decided to have a quick race, to see where this would put me in the lobbies. As an average C/S driver I was hoping for grid position 1-2 in C/S lobbies. What I got was 4th in a B/C-D lobby. I was expecting to get mugged, but surprisingly the racing was actually very respectful. Despite collecting a couple of TL penalties through Eau Rouge, I finished 5th, in a very enjoyable race. Buoyed my this experience, I jumped straight on to the next session. Again I was put in a mainly B/C-D lobby, 5th on the start grid. This race was a very different experience more akin to a first day a big school. I was beaten up, had my lunch money stolen, and left crying in the corner of the playground (I.E. rammed off track twice in the first half lap, had my DR stolen, and left perpendicular to the track at turn 9, 15 seconds off the back of the pack)😂. Basically my reward for performing above my station was being thrown into a snake pit.
I am not a computing or maths whizz, so I'm struggling to understand how the matchmaking is calculated, (in spite of the explanations kindly provided by @Pigems), but it needs looking at IMHO.
As many others have stated recently, (and I imagine, for as long as there has been an Online mode in GT) there needs to be an improvement in how sanctions are applied for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Last edited:
I always wish B could be a couple of laps longer...
Generally starting 10th to 12th now - wish makes the start challenging - often 5 to 8 seconds off the lead when reaching Eau Rouge, then by lap 4 it's all closing up a bit as various cars battle.

I might squeeze an extra tenth or two out the McLaren - I've tried the GT-R but just can't get the same speed out of it. There's guys in the races getting mid 2:16s 😯

Still, Gr3 on mediums is still good fun 😎

Edit / I had a full S bar, but missed my braking point and hit the car ahead causing bumper damage (thankfully he lost no places) then the race finished I checked my SR again, and it had dropped by about 30% 😯

Last edited:
This is the cesspit of a lobby I found myself in earlier.
IMG_2060.jpeg

In homage to @newmedia_dev ’s Picard memes, this is all I have to say on the experience! 😂

IMG_2061.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a bit of free time this morning, so I jumped onto Sport mode on my main GT account (aka child no.1's PS account), to have a crack a setting a QT for the Spa Daily Race B. Somehow after just 2 laps I pulled an absolute Unicorn (for me) 2:18.6, which I know isn't fast in this forum, but given the best I'd managed was a 2:20.4 on my new Alt account this week, I was stunned. I decided to have a quick race, to see where this would put me in the lobbies. As an average C/S driver I was hoping for grid position 1-2 in C/S lobbies. What I got was 4th in a B/C-E lobby. I was expecting to get mugged, but surprisingly the racing was actually very respectful.
You're faster round there than me at very low B level. Can't break the 2:20 barrier at the moment. I'm not even starting on the final chicane with that time, it's about a hundred yards up the road still.

Probably would help if I used one of the weekly meta cars but I'm only using the Huracan, trying to get some miles in before the GTWS season. Still having fun at the back, Spa always delivers.

The real problem is, how do you maintain an S rating when you are consistently wrecking cars intentionally.
Also, it seems to me that there are certain times of the day when races are much worse.
You make contact horizontally. I can door bang and gently(lol) pit everyone into the nethers with nary a black mark, if i were a knucklehead.

That said, if you feel the pit/doorbanging inbound my favorite move is letting off the gas a little and allowing them to pit themselves across my bow.

Still having a fun time at Dragon Gardens this week. I used to hate this course, but after actually putting some time in for this weeks daily, I’ve grown to think it’s quite a good one. Funny thing with qualifying - I’m still sitting at a 1:39.2 that I set a couple days back, but yesterday I saw I had an optimal of 1:38.3 or so. This was after several laps during which 5 year old son was talking to me about Mario Kart and also was just sorta zoned out thinking about something at work - funny how that happens - must of been doing much better on some sectors during ‘auto-pilot’ so to speak 😄

This is the cesspit of a lobby I found myself in earlier.
View attachment 1347744

In homage to @newmedia_dev ’s Picard memes, this is all I have to say on the experience! 😂

View attachment 1347745
Ditto... had the same experience earlier today. Two of us (CS) found ourselves in with DR-B drivers who were either BC or BD rated. We managed to get up the field quite quickly are most were trying to destroy each other. How we escaped is beyond me ;-) Anyway we ended up 3rd (Dutch guy) and 4th so was rather pleased for both of us.

Usually yes (I don't generally drive the meta car, prefer to do my own thing) but this time round, I am driving the same car as P1 so it's not really the case, at least, I think.

Another opinion I have, which is not an excuse but observation, is also depends what rig the others are running. I am very happy with my DD Pro (8nm torque) and F-GT rig BUT I am missing something which I think is critical in my setup - the loadcell..

Not expecting to gain 5 seconds lol but I did try my friend's setup (same as mine + LC) and I was generally much more confident with my braking points. Didn't really compare times as his wheel settings are different than mine but in terms of nailing where to brake and sometimes, a few meters later I think would make a massive difference overall, with practice of course!

One day..
Just to follow up, one big issue I have is maintaining the correct speed. I’ll be hitting my marks and be in the groove but, I can feel the wheel chattering and I know I’m too fast and over correcting (I think). So even though I’m in the groove, I’m constantly scrubbing speed. I can’t really see that in the replays but I’m pretty sure it’s happening.
The issue I have in races is exactly that…I have my marks that I’m comfortable with in qualifying but in a race, I’m chasing a car that qualifies 3 seconds faster which means I’m now chasing his marks, and usually puts me in the runoff after turn 11 (Spa)

I checked out the load cell, looks interesting.

Last edited:
And there we have it. The reasons why I stopped participating in actual daily races and why I might not start again after all...🤬
I'm tempting the powers that be by posting this (never say "famous last words"), but what the heck...

I just haven't been experiencing that level of nastiness, for the vast majority of races. Of course there have been a few, but really not that many. I've been trying to figure out why, and I have a theory:

I've never been good at passing people who are in front of me (duh, like they'd be behind me?), so it mostly only happens if the one in front messes up somehow. Even then, I'll often not push it because it would probably take skill I don't have to do it cleanly.

Which is to say that I probably don't tick many people off. Not that they should be ticked off if I passed them due to greater skill, but we've all been there in the heat of the moment. So I wonder if my lack of passing skills has inadvertently lead to cleaner races?

Just thinking out loud. And I'm not suggesting anyone change their driving, by the way - just wondering why it seems different for me.

I'll post this preemptively: I can't believe how dirty people were in the race I just ran. [Because you know that my next race is going to suck, since I said the above out loud.]

Sweaty is the problem with B this week. Its fast lots of bumping inadvertently then over reaction.

Because of the nature of the track it invites dive bombs...and no getting you bonnet level with the rear quarter at the apex is not "I was there, give me room" it's just late and over braking to force space that wasn't there in the first place.

Edit: I swear sometimes a race is double DR or Double SR

Flag to flag win SR bar jumps half way DR bar barely moves 🤣

Last edited:
I just had a race where I had the exact same QT as the guy in front of me, and in fact the loading screen before the lobby appears had me ahead of him (p2 to p3), but the lobby switched us to where I was p3. No biggie, just interesting.
I swear sometimes a race is double DR or Double SR
In my aforementioned race, I screwed up on lap 1 at the start, and eventually ended up p10. Several people hit me (no real fault of their own), and I don't believe I hit anyone myself, yet I lost SR.

I wish, for the 1,00th time, PD would show us when we lose SR. Something as simple as a "-2%" or some such thing.

Let's put it this way: One of the "rules" of the game is to drive so you don't lose SR. Break that rule, then you lose SR. Whoever heard of a game that doesn't let you know where you stand, with respect to the "rules"? The only way you can learn not to do something is if it's clear what that something is.

Finding out after the game that you lost SR is like:

1713460821536.png

I just had a race where I had the exact same QT as the guy in front of me, and in fact the loading screen before the lobby appears had me ahead of him (p2 to p3), but the lobby switched us to where I was p3. No biggie, just interesting.

In my aforementioned race, I screwed up on lap 1 at the start, and eventually ended up p10. Several people hit me (no real fault of their own), and I don't believe I hit anyone myself, yet I lost SR.

I wish, for the 1,00th time, PD would show us when we lose SR. Something as simple as a "-2%" or some such thing.

Let's put it this way: One of the "rules" of the game is to drive so you don't lose SR. Break that rule, then you lose SR. Whoever heard of a game that doesn't let you know where you stand, with respect to the "rules"? The only way you can learn not to do something is if it's clear what that something is.

View attachment 1347864
I agree with that however, there is another view out there that kills that theory.
I played basketball with a guy (he was pretty dirty) and his quote regarding fouls was “ you can’t take ‘em home with you”. So possibly, if you know you aren’t even close to losing SR, pushing and shoving could increase.

"What is sportsmanship?" @GrumpyOldMan they have a video....🤣

Edit:

This tuning rubbish each race is starting to wear thin now.

How hard can it be to allow us to use a setting sheet flagged for daily races.

It's pointless clicking, sliding and confirming over and over. Quality of life please PD if you are gonna allow it do a proper job :/
It's a bummer when entering too late, and rushing to adjust everything when you only have 30-odd seconds before the warm-up ends. I've managed to slide the wrong sliders to a maximum or minimum before, or missed one end of the car - then end up with an undriveable car. This week on B I've left the 650 standard apart from the diff.

I did try someones setup on the Corvette and it felt pretty good for the first time in Gt7 (it used to be my favourite car in GT Sport).

Hopefully next week's combos aren't very good as I'm away on holiday :lol:- I'm sure my stepson will be wearing the wheel out while he's dog-sitting.

It's a bummer when entering too late, and rushing to adjust everything when you only have 30-odd seconds before the warm-up ends. I've managed to slide the wrong sliders to a maximum or minimum before, or missed one end of the car - then end up with an undriveable car. This week on B I've left the 650 standard apart from the diff.

I did try someones setup on the Corvette and it felt pretty good for the first time in Gt7 (it used to be my favourite car in GT Sport).

Hopefully next week's combos aren't very good as I'm away on holiday :lol:- I'm sure my stepson will be wearing the wheel out while he's dog-sitting.
I shouldn't have to sweat so hard for this

IMG_0343.jpeg

Edit:

As @Barney Da Dog said this whole adjust parameters in a 30 slot baring in mind that we/some are adjusting to extremes of these measures.

The bigger issue is why are the cars so out there that they need tuning for the average driver so much? Come on PD what's the point if BoP if a little suspension tuning makes cars that much better than how you set them up???

Last edited:
Late to the party at Spa this week, my first handful of races early this evening...

Using the '18 Nismo with @praiano63 tune (thanks, again!).

Race 1, started in 8th and ruined it for myself by nudging someone's rear quarter panel at Les Combes, causing them all sorts of problems and after waiting up for them I was fighting it out with the "rolling start victims" at the back.

Race 2, unsurprisingly after a decent chunk of improvement after getting used to the tune in practice I found myself on pole (with an .18.2xx... hello B/S lobbies!). Cars behind took themselves out. Easy drive, but not exactly what I was after in the entertainment stakes.

Race 3, really really good racing starting in 5th and fighting my way up to 3rd, with a huge gap to 2nd. Satisfying 3-wide through Blanchemont was the deciding factor on lap 1 to establish who would have the advantage in the 3-lap fight for the last podium place. I was getting chased down by the guy who started in front of me by the end (he lost out in the aforementioned race through the final sector of lap 1, but clearly fought back). Great fun.

View attachment 1347864
They used to give us an SR up arrow anytime we made gains in a race, and an SR Down arrow when we lost SR, they should bring that back. I remember getting rear ended IRL back in the GTS days, and instantly looking up to see the SR down arrow. 😂

IMG_5697.jpeg

IMG_5696.jpeg

Last edited:
This one of my favorite passes, and one of the easiest to do.
When someone comes from behind on a straight, and takes the inside for the next turn, just let him do it. Don't block.
Take the outside. Then after you both start braking, release your brakes a bit earlier than normal. He won't be able to do the same, because he's pinned to the inside.

Last edited:
The question of the day is, how long does it take a 67 year old man to pee?

1713477069168.png

As @Barney Da Dog said this whole adjust parameters in a 30 slot baring in mind that we/some are adjusting to extremes of these measures.
Well, there's more than 30 seconds if you want there to be, since you can change the settings in the pre-race qualifying. But other than that, your points are obviously very valid.

Here's what I keep wishing for: On my Mac, I have a program called Keyboard Maestro that lets me script things, and it would be simple to create a script to change all the settings. Except, of course, I can't do it from my Mac. Well, actually, I could, using PS Remote Play, but I'm pretty sure it would take longer to start up PS Remote Play, plug my controller into my Mac, run the script, shut down PS Remote Play, and reconnect my controller.

Hmmm, I could give it a shot, though... I'll have to think about it.

I've been starting 10th to 12th at Spa, so thought I'd try and improve my qualifying time. I changed the diff a little but also stiffened the rear roll bar to 7 (up from 5)

After 2 laps I'd taken 2 tenths off my previous best - and in the next race I started.... 12th!! 🙄

Still scope for improvement but it's not going to get me near the front - pole guy was on a 2:15.5 😯
Well, there's more than 30 seconds if you want there to be, since you can change the settings in the pre-race qualifying. But other than that, your points are obviously very valid.

Yeah I'm often too late for qualifying as I tend to do other things between races (rescue postman from dogs etc) if there's time. Missing that one minute window is very frustrating

Backstory: When I picked up GT7 several months ago, I told myself I wouldn't fiddle with settings and break the cars anymore, so I've been running this week's B and C races on default settings.

This afternoon was a mixed bag at Dragon Trail's Daily Race C, where I managed a 1:39.728 QT in an NSX Gr.4. It's pretty good on tires, and still had a lot of meat on the rights by the end of the race.

6 races: 1 P2, 1 P3, 1 pole, 1 solo spin, 1 finish outside the top 10 in 11th, 1 time I got fed up with being bullied and put someone in the grass on the last lap in the last corner*, 2 times my eyes were bigger than my brakes and I rear ended a couple people*, 2 times I accidentally changed tires, 2 penalties (track boundary and pit lane violations), and 3 times I salvaged a bad race with P7s.

The first race was brutal. I started in P2, but got shoved back down to P12. Finished P7.

There might've been a race where tunnel vision saw me follow the leader off onto the grass. 😑

On the plus side, my DR/C bar is now roughly 66% full, instead of almost D, undoing a lot of the damage done in Deep Forest and Fuji, and my SR is maxed.

*Dramatic Re-enactment:

1f5.gif

Back