GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,609 comments
PD finally used some common sense with Daily Race B this week. The kerb/wall penalties from the past races have been toned down. You can now brush the kerb and not get the instant penalties of the past. Thank you, PD!

I mentioned yesterday that I didn't want to start this week at DR A, and it turns out it didn't matter:

View attachment 1349219

No worries, though. Started P5, finished P5, but the race itself was wild and wooly. Not unexpected for a Monday race, where people are still getting their feet wet (including myself).

I was worried to use the R.S.01 there, because unless my memory is really bad, the last time I used it there the R.S.01 couldn't accelerate fast enough at the start. But no problems this time.
I wonder if the difference in acceleration is how BoP is handled, if the cars algorithm is different from race to race.

@newmedia_dev what a time! 47 dead. What did you do to get such a round number? Type it in? lol
That made me laugh!!!! 🤣
I won't tag anyone, though. It's one thing to poke the bear(s) - it's another thing to stand around and get mauled!
🧸👈
image.jpg

Last edited:
Now that I have done enough in Race B, I decided to focus on Race A next and honestly just like what the others said here I think, this might've been really good had it not been for the race taking place at nighttime. Did three sessions for today (supposed to be four but that one session was oofed because the race didn't start to the point I left the lobby after waiting).

First session - So the nighttime setting posed a problem for me as I needed to learn when to slow down and brake at the end of Mulsanne and as a result I can only get a 4:10 out of this which was enough for a pole position. Race begins and things were alright at first and I even had a battle with this player in his ENDLESS 996 GT3.

But alas while I was catching up, he got himself a track limit breach penalty which oofed him to the point where while we were neck and neck at the Mulsanne straight, he kind of lost it at the end after going too deep and from there I was able to get a win.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240423230447.jpg

Second session - Once again started on pole and just like in my previous encounters, everybody got oofed at Mulsanne which allowed me to take advantage and despite getting numerous track limit breaches, I managed to get the win easily.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240423165240.jpg

Third session - I improved my quali time to a 4:06. Same as those two sessions, I got pole and similar to the first session, one dude managed to time his brakes correctly so he's able to avoid carnage but due to numerous track limit breaches plus getting oofed on Indy, I was able to win with a 8 sec gap.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240423171403.jpg

And as an added bonus, of all the Mulsanne oofery I've seen so far, this one takes the cake for me.

I'm definitely going to spend most of my time on this race because the combo feels good to me and I always wanted to main my own makeshift 996 GT3 Cup for a while now too.

A couple of questions for you guys. Using the R8 at TM, and my questions/comments all pertain to this environment.

It is my understanding that with brake balance biased towards the front (i.e. negative BB), that helps shift the weight forward during braking, which can help steering in some circumstances. And brake balance biased towards the rear can help snap the back end around corners, again depending on the situation.

From experimenting at TM, one thing I know for sure. With BB at -5, the final chicane is MUCH easier for me to navigate - specifically, the first corner, which is a big duh, since it's the only place you're on the brakes there. There are a couple of other places on the track where front BB appears to help me.

However, there's other places on the track where rear BB appears to be better. I say "appears to be better" because I'm not a consistent enough driver to be 100% sure.

I drove a couple of laps with BB+5, then switched to BB-5 at the final chicane, and they seemed like pretty good laps.

Can you guys help me understand this better, again, specifically with TM and the R8. I learn by real-world examples much better than theory. And I realize this may have a lot to do with driving style, sp you can assume I'm braking harder most of the time than I probably should be, although I don't suck, so it's not like I'm newbie-braking.

@newmedia_dev Yeah, I saw your time. I've had some rockin' "best time"s in Q sessions, but none of them will probably ever surpass that, although you never know.
Yeah, if I ever find a girlfriend, I have to seek one that likes my hobbies. And they are crossword puzzles, word search, sudoku, gt7 and other Playstation games out there. Not just about racing, skateboarding for one.
Honestly, they don't have to be all the same hobbies. If the wife has things she enjoys doing that don't necessarily involve you, then she may want some time to herself also. The difficult ones are the ones who have nothing else to devote their time to than you, which is OK as long as that's what you want too.

My wife has plenty of interests besides me, and she's independent (in a good way) and can take care of herself, yet she also likes taking care of me. But they broke the mold with my wife - everyone who knows her knows how lucky I am. And so do I. (Did I say all that correctly, honey?)

@GrumpyOldMan genuinely I've messed around with BB and eeking out a 1/10 or 2 it doesn't make the car feel different enough for me.

So my C time is in a stock lancer and my B time in a stock 911.

I think genuinely understanding the car and the track is worth more than arbitrary clicks up and down.

Some people will feel it @AdxRE will have some thoughts on this I'm sure. But tidg doesn't usually mess around with BB.

Do what feels comfortable but you have to do multiple laps it's not a one lap thing the feel.

Edit:

I need to find my inner peace. I suffer fools gladly but it's god damn draining mentally.

Breathe Glen breathe. I am the reason I'm in B lobbies I am the reason now breathe.

Last edited:
@GrumpyOldMan honestly I really am not an expert on the brake balance stuff, most of the time my setting is -1 or 0 and I do okay on the track wherever I'm racing. TM is a track of exploration and skill, you have to know when to brake and decide what speed you have to drive in order to not hit the wall. It's still hard for me to judge when to brake at the last two turns before the finish line. It's a hit or miss situation.

Was SR calculation adjusted this week? I'll do a race, get a CRB and get SR down because I was bump drafted? I've had races with no collisions or penalties and lost SR. Not sure what the deal is.

Edit: I've only done B this week.

Last edited:
Was SR calculation adjusted this week? I'll do a race, get a CRB and get SR down because I was bump drafted? I've had races with no collisions or penalties and lost SR. Not sure what the deal is.
It's tightened for the GTWS and TGR thing.

It falls in to qualification brackets. In reality it keeps all the Sub A+ people in check.

Realistically as daily racers we aren't fast enough to really compete but the rules are rules etc

What a week to do it given race B's wall penalty and long straights for bump drafting. Really annoying when someone can BD you and ruin your SR 🤬

What a week to do it given race B's wall penalty and long straights for bump drafting. Really annoying when someone can BD you and ruin your SR 🤬
Don't bump draft in a 4 lap race... just run or pass.

Wall penalties suck, but being honest you can go fast not hitting them. Work on that. It's better to be safe than get a 1.5s penalty.

Learn the lines and avoid the track limits!

Edit: if you don't want to pass lift off and give them space.

Last edited:
Don't bump draft in a 4 lap race... just run or pass.

Wall penalties suck, but being honest you can go fast not hitting them. Work on that. It's better to be safe than get a 1.5s penalty.

Learn the lines and avoid the track limits!

Edit: if you don't want to pass lift off and give them space.
I'm not hitting walls and I'm the one getting bump drafted. Nothing I can do about the latter if they don't want to go around. Unfortunately it's pushed me out of perfect SR meaning that I'm having to drop my DR to get back to good races. I've even gotten dinged for cars that lose it in the esses going sideways into me. I wish the penalty/SR system was consistent and worked.

I'm not hitting walls and I'm the one getting bump drafted. Nothing I can do about the latter if they don't want to go around. Unfortunately it's pushed me out of perfect SR meaning that I'm having to drop my DR to get back to good races. I've even gotten dinged for cars that lose it in the esses going sideways into me. I wish the penalty/SR system was consistent and worked.
It does work over time, it's not a few race system it's ELO based so takes time....

Hey fair enough what's your DR/SR and then I could have some context to reply?

It does work over time, it's not a few race system it's ELO based so takes time....

Hey fair enough what's your DR/SR and then I could have some context to reply?
DR B Before this week I was sitting at about 45% usually (down in the high 20s since I've been riding the back of the pack to avoid bump drafters). SR is usually completely maxed but after yesterday and today it's sitting at S@73.

DR B Before this week I was sitting at about 45% usually (down in the high 20s since I've been riding the back of the pack to avoid bump drafters). SR is usually completely maxed but after yesterday and today it's sitting at S@73.
What does avoiding the bump drafters mean? There aren't a lot of those races especially in B that people do that?

What's your QT time and where are you starting in those lobbies.

The races this week are very very sweaty, no tactics involved.

Qualifying time is everything is B and C, I don't personally do non ranked A so have no idea on that but it looks like chaos.

I'm eeaking out top 500 in C and top 600 in B there are guys on here doing way better than me so if you want help just ask for specifics?

What does avoiding the bump drafters mean? There aren't a lot of those races especially in B that people do that?

What's your QT time and where are you starting in those lobbies.

The races this week are very very sweaty, no tactics involved.

Qualifying time is everything is B and C, I don't personally do non ranked A so have no idea on that but it looks like chaos.

I'm eeaking out top 500 in C and top 600 in B there are guys on here doing way better than me so if you want help just ask for specifics?
Down to 1:54 in quali, but haven't had much time to practice. Depending on the SR of the lobby I've been 5th all the way to 12th. I'm encountering at least one bump drafter each race (especially if I miss the apex on the turn to the back straight on TM), but even see them ahead and behind on the back straight. Just did a race where I had no contacts, no course cutting, no spins. Bump drafted by a single person and at the end of the race I had no clean race and SR went down. I may just have to avoid racing race B this week.

Last edited:
Just had my most coherent race at Le Mans, even though I got clocked at Mulsanne. Managed 6th and was about to save the replay as a souvenir when the session was terminated. Meh.

I'm encountering at least one bump drafter each race (especially if I miss the apex on the turn to the back straight on TM), but even see them ahead and behind on the back straight.
That's not bump drafting bud....

That's someone getting a better exit and hitting you (this is a normal thing, it's not bump drafting)

Bump drafting is to use you and him together, work together to stretch away from the pack.

I think your slow exit may cause people to hit you as they carry more speed (unless you are blocking which is a no no)

So the take away here is get better at taking the turn on to the fast stuff.

Luckily the CE for this is a Gr3 car with those 2 sectors as retryable ;)

That's not bump drafting bud....

That's someone getting a better exit and hitting you (this is a normal thing, it's not bump drafting)

Bump drafting is to use you and him together, work together to stretch away from the pack.

I think your slow exit may cause people to hit you as they carry more speed (unless you are blocking which is a no no)

So the take away here is get better at taking the turn on to the fast stuff.

Luckily the CE for this is a Gr3 car with those 2 sectors as retryable ;)
Sorry, I didn't describe it well enough. What I'm experiencing is bump drafting as they are attempting to work together with me to get up on cars ahead later down the straight, not on corner exit. It occurs more often if I do get a bad exit on the corner (for obvious reasons since they can gain on me more quickly if they got a good exit), but also happens if they just have the draft. I'm not going slow enough as to get rear-ended, but people are bump drafting when they could just go past hurting (I assume both of our) SR.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't describe it well enough. What I'm experiencing is bump drafting as they are working together with me to get up on cars ahead later down the straight, not on corner exit. It occurs more often if I do get a bad exit on the corner (for obvious reasons since they can pull gain on me more quickly if they got a good exit). I'm not going slow enough as to get rearended, but the bump drafting is hurting SR later down the straight when they could just go past.
Can you post a replay of your race?

Got caught up in an almighty shunt on the first lap somehow got away with it. Think I need to improv the my qualifying, I think there's a win here somewhere.

I am not an expert by any means here. However, I've never seen SR go down just because someone hits your rear bumper. The other way around, sure - you touch someone's bumper, it may or may not affect SR. But usually not if someone touches you. I suppose it's possible if you did something like slam on your brakes, but other than that, I'm dubious.

There's a lot of reason SR can go down. Last week (I think it was, anyway), for example, going off track stopped you from getting a CRB, even if you didn't get a penalty. I don't know if it affected SR or not, but a couple of times I didn't get CRB and had to look back through the replay to see that I did, in fact, go slightly off track. So it's easy to forget that something happened that might affect your SR.

This week, touching some of the kerbs doesn't give you a penalty, but there's no guarantee it doesn't affect SR.

And by the way, I got bump-drafted a handful of times in a couple of races at TM yesterday. I still got CRB, and my SR went up, although I was close to full anyway, so it wasn't by much.

Back