GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,593 comments
Just so you know grumpy I'm done on QT this week, family and work stuff....annoying I know but that's all the targets I can offer up now.

Have fun peeps and race safe and well all.
Ahh, you can't be serious. I mean, because...:

IMG_4418.jpeg

🥳

I'm frustrated. Not game-quitting frustrated, just... well, frustrated is still the best word.

On the one hand, I started 10th in a room full of only A/A+ (at TM), and finished 6th to gain 3 DR points (up to 14%). So that was good.

Three races ago I DNFed, which was a huge mistake that dropped my SR 70%, down to S 30%. I was working my way back up, and it was at 50% before this last race.

But after this last race, my SR just dropped 77%, to bring me down to A/A (73%).

First off, I lost more SR from a race where I got no penalties than I did when I DNFed? That doesn't make any sense to me.

In any case, I deserved some of it for slightly rear-ending someone at the end of the long downhill, although nobody lost positions so it wasn't too bad (and no penalty for me).

But I'm sure the other reason I lost SR is because someone bounced off the inside kerb on the turn leading into the uphill tunel, tried to save it, and came across into a place where I couldn't have done anything other than slightly side-swipe them. That corner isn't a place where you can make drastic moves, and I wasn't even sure if he was going to save it or not, so it's really not my fault, even though it technically is, if you know what I mean. No penalty, though. Yet all that cost me 77%.

Which puts me in the A/A category, which I most definitely DON'T want to be in. If I'm not really careful, I'll be down to SR B in no time, considering the group I'll be racing with. Been there, done that, did NOT buy a t-shirt, and never want to go here again.

Fingers crossed that I don't experience disaster. I might consider holding off any more racing until tomorrow morning, when it's usually not so busy.

I am not an expert by any means here. However, I've never seen SR go down just because someone hits your rear bumper. The other way around, sure - you touch someone's bumper, it may or may not affect SR. But usually not if someone touches you. I suppose it's possible if you did something like slam on your brakes, but other than that, I'm dubious.

There's a lot of reason SR can go down. Last week (I think it was, anyway), for example, going off track stopped you from getting a CRB, even if you didn't get a penalty. I don't know if it affected SR or not, but a couple of times I didn't get CRB and had to look back through the replay to see that I did, in fact, go slightly off track. So it's easy to forget that something happened that might affect your SR.

This week, touching some of the kerbs doesn't give you a penalty, but there's no guarantee it doesn't affect SR.

And by the way, I got bump-drafted a handful of times in a couple of races at TM yesterday. I still got CRB, and my SR went up, although I was close to full anyway, so it wasn't by much.
Huh. I wonder what is I'm doing in the race to get SR down...If I do another this week I'm definitely saving the replay. And checking it out.

A couple of questions for you guys. Using the R8 at TM, and my questions/comments all pertain to this environment.

It is my understanding that with brake balance biased towards the front (i.e. negative BB), that helps shift the weight forward during braking, which can help steering in some circumstances. And brake balance biased towards the rear can help snap the back end around corners, again depending on the situation.

From experimenting at TM, one thing I know for sure. With BB at -5, the final chicane is MUCH easier for me to navigate - specifically, the first corner, which is a big duh, since it's the only place you're on the brakes there. There are a couple of other places on the track where front BB appears to help me.

However, there's other places on the track where rear BB appears to be better. I say "appears to be better" because I'm not a consistent enough driver to be 100% sure.

I drove a couple of laps with BB+5, then switched to BB-5 at the final chicane, and they seemed like pretty good laps.

Can you guys help me understand this better, again, specifically with TM and the R8. I learn by real-world examples much better than theory. And I realize this may have a lot to do with driving style, sp you can assume I'm braking harder most of the time than I probably should be, although I don't suck, so it's not like I'm newbie-braking.
I think genuinely understanding the car and the track is worth more than arbitrary clicks up and down.

Some people will feel it @AdxRE will have some thoughts on this I'm sure. But tidg doesn't usually mess around with BB.

Do what feels comfortable but you have to do multiple laps it's not a one lap thing the feel.
To my (limited) understanding, assuming we are in a Gr.3 car with ABS (i.e. No lock ups), Front bias BB (-ve value in GT7) should provide better braking performance (i.e. Shorter braking distance) and better stability under braking. While Rear bias (+ve in GT7) should aid turning-in/reduce understeer.

For the McLaren which has a very strong tendency of understeering, I usually go for BB +3 to +5 depending on track/ability to run set up etc.

Here's 3 things you LOVE to see when you're trying to restore your SR:

1) A big gap between yourself and everyone else (being in front would be best, but this is second best):

1713971649343.png

2) A CRB:

1713971682568.png

3) And last - blue letters and up arrows:

1713971730972.png

All of which got me a 27% push, moving my SR to A at 100%. But no slacking off until I see a full S (there's got to be a joke there somewhere...):

1713972338888.png

EDIT: Next race I did a wall bash (totally my fault) which cost me a 1.5 second penalty, but I still managed to gain 11% in SR, so I'm back to SR S. Let's hope I can keep it that way.

Last edited:
Leaving for vacation tomorrow so I chose to pass on learning a new track on mash-up Monday and not being able to perfect times later in the week.
I instead created a 30 lap professional level AI race with 2 pit stops at Laguna Seca.
Ive only been racing the Daily races for a month now but its amazing how much my driving has improved by racing live bodies. Racing vs AI is pretty dull.
My concentration has also greatly improved. When I began, I had troubles stringing together 5 complete laps. Yesterday, 30 laps of error free (no off course) driving was pretty easy.
The best thing about yesterday was knowing I wasnt going to get maliciously punted by a teenager on lap 30.

Last edited:
Leaving for vacation tomorrow so I chose to pass on learning a new track on mash-up Monday and not being able to perfect times later in the week.
I instead created a 30 lap professional level AI race with 2 pit stops at Laguna Seca.
Ive only been racing the Daily races for a month now but its amazing how much my driving has improved by racing live bodies. Racing vs AI is pretty dull.
My concentration has also greatly improved. When I began, I had troubles stringing together 5 complete laps. Yesterday, 30 laps of error free (no off course) driving was pretty easy.
The best thing about yesterday was knowing I wasnt going to get maliciously punted by a teenager on lap 30.
Enjoy your vacation, we'll see you next week hopefully. Racing with the AI is better because sometimes they can make errors and they are not like dirty drivers who ram you on the track deliberately.

Enjoy your vacation, we'll see you next week hopefully. Racing with the AI is better because sometimes they can make errors and they are not like dirty drivers who ram you on the track deliberately.
On lap 28, I took the inside of turn 11 for a pass but my tires were gone and I pushed wide, driving 2 cars into the gravel, I felt the need to send a “sorry, my bad” message.

On lap 28, I took the inside of turn 11 for a pass but my tires were gone and I pushed wide, driving 2 cars into the gravel, I felt the need to send a “sorry, my bad” message.
Lots of times I'll be in a daily race and say out loud "Sorry!". Ya know, because they can hear me. Now that I think about it, it's probably good they can't hear me, considering some of the other words that come out of my mouth.

1713989294564.png

Finally got a win at Race A. Got into a rough and tumble battle with an agitated Italian driver. The replay doesn't really show this but he braked checked me before the first lap penalty line. Then down the straight on the second lap he proceeded to flash his lights and use the horn for the whole time.

Hilariously it all went wrong at the final chicanes when he made a last ditch attempt to force me off and failed. Satisfied with that and a first win at Le Mans.

Lots of times I'll be in a daily race and say out loud "Sorry!". Ya know, because they can hear me. Now that I think about it, it's probably good they can't hear me, considering some of the other words that come out of my mouth.

View attachment 1349862
Haha, that's Pikachu swearing and ranting!!

The best thing to do if carnage comes out on the track is to stay far back until the cars clear out. And never ignore a yellow flag, that happened to me yesterday evening at TM. Cost me 7 positions in the race.

Last edited:
It's a good thing I'm retired. Almost every morning when I start playing GT7, it seems like I forget how to drive, and it takes me hours of qualifying runs before I get it back (assuming I do get it back). If I wasn't retired, and had only an hour or two a day to play, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't still be playing the game.

So to all of you as-yet-retired workers, remember this: Retirement IS all it's cracked up to be. Work hard now, knowing that years from now, there's no telling what kinds of great games await all that time off you have coming.

Oh, and make sure your wife has something she loves to do in retirement also, so you can actually use some of that time for yourself.

As for my wife, we joined a golf club many years ago. Once she took lessons from an actual teacher (as opposed to me), she started to love the game, and now that she's retired, she spends a lot of time playing golf with the Women's club, doing special events, etc. That means she doesn't begrudge me spending time on GT7.

Hopefully I'll be able to start playing again after my cortisone shots in a couple of weeks. But even when I can play, I'll have plenty of time to re-remember how to drive each morning.

So keep focused, people - there's a reason you work so hard (or only pretend to)!
I retired in 2018, it was a very hard transition for me …until I rolled over and went back to sleep on that very first day. I loved my job but nothing compares to retirement.
I’ve been racing sims since the ‘90s, never very successfully. The concentration was never there, probably due to to time of day I had to race, usually late, after the kids went to bed.
Now, I’ll pull off 400-500 miles/ day and although Im still entry level, I’ve improved substantially over time.
It’s pretty interesting, my driving is bad when the following happens:

Im tired
I just woke up
Post cocktail hour
Im trying to fit a drive in but really should be doing chores
My wife is standing in front of the screen and talking at me.

The biggest improvement in my game has been driving against live bodies, AI is like 60 mph batting practice now.

Two other hobbies I have are Mt biking and skiing. It’s really interesting how similar they are to GT. In all three, when you are late on your turns, there’s usually gravel to correct your tardiness.

Sooo...

I finally did some more daily races, to get used to it again. On my practice account, because I'm a coward...🫣.

Race C, I took the G70, because I don't like the Lancer that much, and I've had no opportunity so far to buy an Alfa there (I only use cars that I "own").

The main conclusion I drew from the three races I did: Race C is great to restore SR. Three races, and I went from a high SR B to a low SR S. The first one, without a QT, I got into a lot of trouble with some moron drivers, got a penalty for getting rear-ended and slammed into a wall, several contacts, one off-track excursion by my own fault, lots of mistakes, and even a three second penalty for crossing the pit line. And still my SR went up. But the feeling was that I'm a complete beginner again.
In the minutes before the second race I got a half-decent QT, started P4, finished P4, unspectacular race, but no CRB. Third one, started P6 and finished P3, CRB, and finally back to SR S. Progress!🥳

Maybe the racing feeling is coming back...

Last edited:
What in the ever-lovin' heck is this?
Star player.

5.STAR PLAYERS

Drivers who reach the top ranks in the Series may register as 'Star Players' on the official gran-turismo.com website.

The Star Player registration prerequisites for both the Nations Cup and Manufacturers Cup in this Series are:

• World Series 2023 Showdown and World Finals 2023 drivers
  • World Series 2024 Rd.1-3 and World Finals 2024 drivers

When the prerequisites for a 'Star Player' registration are met, a notification will appear in-game. Please proceed to register on gran-turismo.com

'Star Players' are players who exhibit superior technique and sportsmanship that are revered by all players. It will be necessary for drivers to register more detailed profile information, and the player will receive more exposure in race reports and live events. The Driver Rating of a registered Star Player will appear as 'S' in-game.

What in the ever-lovin' heck is this?

View attachment 1349919

And no, I didn't photoshop the image. As a matter of fact, I saved the recording and can share it if anyone doesn't believe me.
I believe the S DR rating is for the top 16 drivers of their region. I think🥴🍻

EDIT reefer to the post above as it contains actual information. Not a cloudy memory🍻 ( honestly I could have been making it up in my own head, I’ll ask later.

Last edited:
I haven’t been paying much attention to GT recently as I’m busy with other endeavors but I got some seat time before the server shut down and got good with the Lancer.

Top 600 global and I thought I was #1 on the leader board besting the mighty @Leon Kowalski

But this other dude snuck in during my session. Don’t you just hate that? 😂

IMG_7984.jpeg
IMG_7983.jpeg

Lap if anyone is interested.
GT7 | Daily Race C QT | Sub 47 seconds

Last edited:
Back