GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 32,099 comments
Tortured myself with a couple dozen QT laps around Maggiore's Race A for a 0:58.437.

I'll try to improve the other QTs later in the week before jumping into any races.

The driving standards and pace is soooo variable in US lobbies. I know understand why you guys have tougher times some times.

Been doing a few on my US account. At the front it's fairly clean but at the back my god.

IMG_0395.jpeg

I've not tried racing B yet - I much prefer the normal direction, but the reverse is just about bearable. I imagine the tricky braking zones and corner entry will be causing chaos?
The most problematic corner is T1 Lap 1. People have no concept of being orderly, and seem to see this is the most important place to pick up spots.

Which means if you manage to avoid the carnage, you can pick up places like crazy. Just did a race where I started P12 and finished P6, and I got almost all of those places from the start of the first lap. But a lot of luck is involved to not become collateral damage.
If you somehow survive the race without hitting the walls and spinning on corner exits or sliding out in the tricky braking zones, you will most certainly improve, because everyone is making small or big mistakes
I know this is sacrilege to mention, but to anyone having problems spinning out in the exists, there's no shame in using some TCS, or even ASM.
Only did one race but yes, saw this happening, moved aside and slotted in behind before the slight left.
I switched to the 911, but I needed some TCS to keep in on the track, which isn't normally the case for me and the 911, but whatever...
Questions: has PD changed the car physics that much recently? Or do I just suck?
You're ahead of me, but I'm having a lot harder time with this track than I did the last time (Q-wise) so either we both suck, or, ... nah, I know I suck.
At the front it's fairly clean but at the back my god.
"Oh my god" is right. What a mess. Entertaining when you manage to avoid it, but a definite mess.

Set a decent time for C lobbies at Sardegna, and got two poles, two wins, and a fastest lap (and now I’m back to B). I prefer this layout in the other direction, but in reverse it does reward precision (so many drivers going off!).

Had a few races before I set the QT where the grid was half C/S like me, and half B/B and even B/C! I assume this is because low SR is correlated with low DR so a mixed lobby will have higher DR ranked drivers with less than stellar SR?

I wish PD would take into account SR when matching. No way you get C SR except by being pretty dirty!

Spent last night trying to go do some racing in Race C. Had some ok success if you remove every lap 1.

Rammed off in turn 2 twice, the esses once and the hairpin and spoon once, the last 2 in the same race. Qualifying line or nothing from the National Guard brigade there. I've even gotten 5 seconds for 1 driver ramming me into another and the second guy going off. Which was great comfort when said rammer launched me in the esses.

People need some sort of penalty system in place rather than the joke we have now. In fact I haven't seen any of the rammers serving penalties, only victims of sandiwch incidents or just straight up victims. I can celebrate good pace in the race, but starting almost 8 to 10 seconds behind the field after turn 2 every time sucks.

I did 'deservedly' get a 3 second penalty for punting someone, although they came from the far left of the track to across my nose while I was there 2 lanes inside of them after they got their left wheel on the dirt. Obviously I'm a filthy scumbag needing a penalty becuase my DR was higher.

Will still try again. Need to get more practice to get used to dodging useless children if I'm gonna do more dailies again.

Every once in a while we get people asking a similar question - should they focus on setting good Q times, or just race.

Let me tell you from personal experience that this week at Sardegna, you want to start as close to the front of the pack as possible. I just made a big jump in QT, which placed me P5 in an A/A+ lobby. MUCH better start of the race, with all the riff-raff behind me. :lol: No guarantee it will stay that way, but the odds are obviously better the closer to the front you get.

Every once in a while we get people asking a similar question - should they focus on setting good Q times, or just race.

Let me tell you from personal experience that this week at Sardegna, you want to start as close to the front of the pack as possible. I just made a big jump in QT, which placed me P5 in an A/A+ lobby. MUCH better start of the race, with all the riff-raff behind me. :lol: No guarantee it will stay that way, but the odds are obviously better the closer to the front you get.
If only a better Q time worked for me, dipped into the 1.40.** and started P11. Hit the barrier on right hand side, spun across to the left side taking two cars out and got called "Trash".
Didn't get a penalty but was 20s behind by the time I got straight again so for the first time maybe this year DNF'd.

Q time was still in the RCZ but no more racing until I can get the 911 to work.

Not changes to the physics, but the last few updates have made sweeping changes to the BoP settings for the Gr.3 cars -- and Gr.4, for that matter. Almost all of the cars have seen their weight and/or power output adjusted in some way, so you will probably notice that the cars drive differently than what you remember.

GT-Engine has done a pretty good job of documenting the changes. The most recent round of updates for Gr.3 is here. Earlier rounds are here.
Thanks for the info mate. I'm slowly getting a grip again, so it was probably my own problem, just being completely out of practice.

You're ahead of me, but I'm having a lot harder time with this track than I did the last time (Q-wise) so either we both suck, or, ... nah, I know I suck.
No, you don't. At least not very hard.😜

Yes, I might be slightly ahead, but it was a lucky lap. Still a lot of work ahead to achieve some level of consistency. But at least it's coming along.🥳

Man I'm having a tough time on C! Qualified quite well but usually getting wiped out in T1 - hopefully it'll improve through the week.

I did lead one race by 13 seconds then had a stupid little spin at Degner 2 and lost 15 seconds 😭. I'd love it if it was 30 to 40 laps

I've not tried racing B yet - I much prefer the normal direction, but the reverse is just about bearable. I imagine the tricky braking zones and corner entry will be causing chaos?
I had a hard time staying on the track yesterday during races. I figured out that there is a huge difference between a warm qualifying tire and a cold start of race/ pit out tire (more so than normal). I believe everyone has this issue because the carnage is huge in the first lap and at pit out. I was getting great qualifying times (for me) and then sand traps- race over in lap 1.
Today I decided not to qualify or practice prior to the race, just come in cautious and 1 gear less at start of race. Also, as stated earlier, almost all cars are ghosts in the first half of the race.
Once I figured this out, the race results improved today. Drivers who are 30 MPH faster than me on hairpins also sort themselves out.
Other than all that, Suzuka has been a lot of fun in the Super Formulas.

OK, I'm gonna go play the lottery. Or go to Vegas. Something. Because I've never had a start to a week like this, and all while in DR A!

1715125917943.png

And yes, I realize I've basically put a big red bullseye on me for the Powers That Be to smite me for even mentioning this, but come on! DR A 18% to 35% in 4 races? That happens to me... wait, let me check... NEVER.

I'm gonna enjoy my 21 glorious days in the show. (Let's see who recognizes that.)

1715126052458.png

OK, I'm gonna go play the lottery. Or go to Vegas. Something. Because I've never had a start to a week like this, and all while in DR A!

View attachment 1353716

And yes, I realize I've basically put a big red bullseye on me for the Powers That Be to smite me for even mentioning this, but come on! DR A 18% to 35% in 4 races? That happens to me... wait, let me check... NEVER.

I'm gonna enjoy my 21 glorious days in the show. (Let's see who recognizes that.)

View attachment 1353717
My opinion is that at 100% SR: S, you get to hit back for a while

Last edited:

View attachment 1353716

View attachment 1353717
You are racing in lobbies where the DR is a lot higher than yours....ergo you win a lot more.

There is probably a lot more people on the dailies doing B this week as the SF cars are a love hate thing.

You also have a strong QT time so it makes perfect sense to be honest bud....as long as you are placing consistently.

Spent last night trying to go do some racing in Race C. Had some ok success if you remove every lap 1.

Rammed off in turn 2 twice, the esses once and the hairpin and spoon once, the last 2 in the same race. Qualifying line or nothing from the National Guard brigade there. I've even gotten 5 seconds for 1 driver ramming me into another and the second guy going off. Which was great comfort when said rammer launched me in the esses.

People need some sort of penalty system in place rather than the joke we have now. In fact I haven't seen any of the rammers serving penalties, only victims of sandiwch incidents or just straight up victims. I can celebrate good pace in the race, but starting almost 8 to 10 seconds behind the field after turn 2 every time sucks.

I did 'deservedly' get a 3 second penalty for punting someone, although they came from the far left of the track to across my nose while I was there 2 lanes inside of them after they got their left wheel on the dirt. Obviously I'm a filthy scumbag needing a penalty becuase my DR was higher.

Will still try again. Need to get more practice to get used to dodging useless children if I'm gonna do more dailies again.
Every penalty I have had at Sardegna has been 3 seconds for hitting someone who’s just hit a wall and failed to ghost as they bounce across the track in front of me. I had 3 in one race yesterday. Whatever the algorithm is trying to do, it ain’t working.

Just ran 3 more races tonight. Middle if the first one I thought I'd made a mistake. Lap 1 someone starts warping about during turns 1 and 2 and I suddenly become the problem driver and bump off a known friendly and rightly earned a 5 second penalty (sorry phatdaddy). I also drift wide by myself in the esses for good measure so I'm well back when I serve it. On the run back through 1 driver wants to defend on the left in the chicane, leaves me space on the inside, I leave him space outside and at the second apex, and he promptly drives me into the grass.

End up having good pace and fighting for a legit p7 before pit stops. When the p7 driver gets mad that I overtook him on the outside of the hairpin and uses the long straight and a lot of boost to push me off at the chicane. I fight back and after pitting I again get a shot at him exiting the hairpin, he defends right, I go left approaching spoon, where he pushes me clean off sideways. I end up running him down yet again and pass hin down the back straight with no issue. Then somehow bin it stupidly at dunlop (my nemesis) on the last lap to drop behind him anyway.

I decide to give it another shot and am surprised with 2 great races. I have several good battles (and I think still lose most of them) but survive for a p6 (which should have been p5 but the guy only wiggled by accident so it was just a racing incident). Next race p5 gets a horrible start and bottlenecks the field so I'm clean sailing in p4 as p2 and 3 beat the stuffing out of each other in the esses. 1 clips the curb and smashes the other off for no penalty, then exiting the hairpin they spin it on the curb, crash and quit. I get a fairly clear run for p2 with a couple of close battles with a Vietnamese driver who was very clean.

Great night. Need more of them like that with good clean racing

From my experience, I didn't really bother with the quali times until I got to the A ranking. In E/C/B lobbies I always started without the time set. But in A and especially now in A+ lobbies I must set a good Q time, top 100 if possible, to be able to fight and improve my ranking, everyone is very fast, more often than not the race finishes in the order it started, there are almost no mistakes from top guys., so my only option is to start in the top 3, top 5, with a good time, and hold on with the maximum focus all the way.

Of course, if you're an alien, you can go from the back even in top tier A+ lobbies and finish on the podium or even win a race, but I'm not even close :D

Last edited:
You are racing in lobbies where the DR is a lot higher than yours....ergo you win a lot more.

There is probably a lot more people on the dailies doing B this week as the SF cars are a love hate thing.

You also have a strong QT time so it makes perfect sense to be honest bud....as long as you are placing consistently.
Of course your logic is flawless. It still blows my mind, though. :lol:

1715168580264.png

Further update on the set up. As I have to work/share work with the wife we have a rather nice office chair to hot desk with it's actually nicer than my rig chair!

View attachment 1353649
Wow, awesome! I need something similar to that so I can stay awake. I tend to doze off and go to sleep sitting on the couch. I get sleepy after I eat most of the time. That must be the old seat in the back. Nice place, mine is about the same size, maybe a little bigger than yours, but see we live in an apartment complex.

Back