Body Style:
2-door coupe
Engine: 4.7L Ford 289 Windsor V8
Power: 271 hp
Torque: 323 lb-ft
Weight: 965 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information: The Griffith 400 was a 2-door sports car produced by Griffith Motor Company in New York (a Ford dealer in Plainview, NY). It is the successor to the Griffith 200, with improved cooling, redesigned rear suspension, redesigned rear with better visibility, and the round taillights sourced from the Ford Cortina Mark I. The standard engine was a Ford Windsor 289 V8 engine, which was an option available
for the Griffith 200. The 400 weighed a few pounds more than the 200 mostly because of a new Salisbury independent differential that gave it a higher gear ratio providing it with a higher top speed. The Griffith 400 had then state-of-the-art unequal wishbone suspension on all four corners and the car weighed significantly less than its contemporary, the AC Cobra, making it a very potent racing car. As the Series 400 cars were being produced in early 1965, the entire east coast of the US was crippled by a prolonged dock strike. This caused a disruption in the supply of the series 400 bodies that were being shipped from TVR in Blackpool, UK. As a result, only 59 Griffith 400s were produced and the Griffith Motor Company vanished.​

400.jpg
tvr-griffith-2013-pics-50213.jpg
tvr-griffith-400-08.jpg
index.png

Last edited:
Wow, those doors are short.

It's an unfortunate-looking thing. Given the other aspects, that leaves it stuck between Cool and Uncool for me.

the round taillights sourced from the Ford Cortina Mark I

The most indelible thing about them. And even then you're probably thinking of the late Grantura instead. Or the Vixen. Or the Tusca-

No, wait. Those last two used Mk2 Cortina taillights.

Hilariously abnormal engine choice for a car this size, as with the later SWB V8 Tuscan, just about gives them the edge over the others. Low cool.

Very easy SZ. Great looks, and muscle-car like power, but only half the weight makes for a quick and nimble car.

This looks better than the 1990s Griffith (and every TVR since). The size and weight are great, definitely Cool.

Sub Zero. Light, powerful, independent suspension all round and manual.. Yup, almost to Lord Kelvins ice box.

That looks real unfortunate...

Seriously uncool.

TVR hysteria strikes again :lol:

Whoever made it, that ugly little thing is not cool!

Surprised at the generally meh comments here, but different strokes and all that. Love these, OK the tail lights are from a Cortina but Mk 1 Cortinas are great =) These cars were seriously fast, shoehorning a 289 into a little sports car weighing 965kg is going to result in sparks, though perhaps not all the right kind, admittedly. SZ from me.

Latest Posts

Back