• Thread starter JLBowler
  • 53 comments

JLBowler

Premium
United States
California
JLBowler
Please read this before posting

This is meant to be a thread for SNAILs to discuss what they are drinking and / or what they enjoy drinking but let's not limit it to beverages. If you want to discuss food, beverages, or tobacco, this is the place to do it. I know there are plenty of members that enjoy a good scotch, whiskey, bourbon, beer, tequila, cigar, steak... you get the picture.

Note: The GTP AUP applies here just as it does anywhere else on this site.

Pictures are encouraged but be considerate to those on mobile devices with slow internet. It you put more than a couple of pictures in a post, use the spoiler feature.

If you are looking for suggestions or recommendations this is the place. Reviews are encouraged if anyone wants to take a shot at that as well.

I haven't been able to get into the flavored whiskeys myself. My wife really likes Fireball. She has taken to mixing it with vanilla cream soda.

If you want to start appreciating whiskeys, you can always find something to mix with it and then gradually cut down the amount of mixer you have in there so you taste more of the whiskey. Before you know it, you'll be mixing it with an ice cube and discovering what you like and don't like.

My selection for tonight is keeping it simple with a cigar and a couple of beers. A Carlos Torano Dominico for the cigar and a Firestone Walker 805 for the beer.

I've never understood the appeal of cigars. You don't actually smoke them right? Just let it burn and enjoy the aroma?

It differs for some people. Personally, I do smoke them (as do most), but I do not inhale. I bring the smoke in and give it a good taste and then let it go. I've seen cigarette smokers try a cigar and inhale and turn an interesting shade of green pretty quickly.

Well yea that's what I mean, you don't exactly inhale them. You just enjoy the taste. But how do they taste different from a nice cigarette? I don't know if I could get into that because I don't really smoke cigarettes that much. They're really just an work break/after work vice for me.

The big difference is that a cigar is all tobacco. There is no paper, there's no filter to keep the chemicals (which aren't there) out of your body. I'm probably not the best person to compare as I have never smoked a cigarette so I can't tell you what one tastes like. I do know what they smell like and it's just not appealing to me.

203351-5477-BACKWOODS-SWEET-AROMATIC-8PK.jpg

I'm not really big in cigars but on occasion I'll have a Backwoods with my Maker's Mark.

Thanks DP for this idea and thanks JL for giving us a place to share it.

An occasional cigar is nice- much better than cigarettes which I never took up. I love the smell of pipe tobacco, but not enough to invest in it as a 'hobby'. Maybe someday.

My beverage interest varies depending on my activity, the day and my mood.
I am a fan of microbrews and ales. I really love a good porter or stout, but don't drink them as much since moving from NM/CO where there are lots of breweries. Also, as much as I love them, they don't normally go down as well on a hot day as other drinks. My hot day favorite beers are Pacifico or especially Victoria w/lime, SKA's 'Pinstipe' Red Ale, Shock top w/orange, Red Stripe lager, a nice wheat or a good IPA. When I buy porter in a bottle my favorites are Deschutes 'Black Butte', Avalanche 'Vanilla Porter' or the absolute best, from England - Young's 'Double Chocolate Stout'.
Hot days are also good for Margaritas. My favorite brand of tequila is Sauza Silver because it has a nice citrus taste to it. My homemade Margs are with 'Simply Limeade', sometimes with Cointreau but usually just the Limeade. I can sip on these all evening and not get more than a pleasant buzz.
I also enjoy a good rum drink. At home I love Captain Morgan's 'Private Stock' neat. More often I mix The Kraken with Simply Mango Lemonade which I call a 'Kraken Dawn'. Captain Morgan Black or Sailor Jerry with the Mango Lemonade is called a 'Dirty, Drunken Sailor'. We have Koloa Rum distillers here on Kaua'i and they make incredible Spiced Rum and Coffee Rum. Check out their website.
Whisky is occasional for me and pretty much always Crown Royal or Johnnie Walker if I'm in the mood to splurge. I do have a bottle of Glenlivet that I sip on when I have one of those cigars.

Perhaps you gentlemen can give me an explanation why my stomach is just fine with a good tequila, or even an Irish whiskey. But a shot of bourbon or well aged scotch just turns my stomach into an inferno of eye-rolling acid! If you have any insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

As for my favorite drinks... oh boy... we'll get into that later. Let's just say I'm pretty well pickled by this point in my life.

Fun topic, this should get interesting.

Been a cigarette smoker since 1976. JL has it right about cigars being about the tobacco. Cigarettes were invented because it takes some time to smoke almost any cigar. I have yet to find one that I can smoke in less than 10 minutes. I've also found the more money I spend on any cigar, the less I like it. I do inhale the cigar smoke and don't turn green doing it. I used to smoke these after a tour in Alaska and one of the civilians I worked for introduced me to them. It was almost a must have in the summer up there in AK to help keep bugs away. The leaves are soaked in Tennessee and Kentucky bourbons and go well with a glass of either or any whisky really.
Ramrod.jpg

Haven't been able to find a local supplier around these parts so have fallen on those ones Oshawa posted a pic of.

@Gr8_Lakes Since it appears Irish whisky is diluted with some un-malted barley in the mash bill and both scotch and bourbon do not contain un-malted barley, I would hazard a guess therein lies your issue. You and malted barley just don't get along. Just a guess though. It could also be the proof of the whisky you're drinking too. I'm not much of a fan of Wild Turkey, mostly because they bottle at a higher proof than most other bourbons. I would advise you to try a sniff or two of Jefferson's Ocean bourbon and see how you react to that. It ain't cheap but, it's the best damn bourbon I've ever tasted. It was tough to stay out of that bottle and save it for the party it was bought for. You might also try a splash of water in your whisky and see if that keeps your stomach settled. Not soda water. Just tap, filtered or distilled.

Waiting for MajorBlixem to chime in here. He's got the whisky pilgrim's bible and he's doing his best to work his way through it.

I cannot bring myself to learn to appreciate straight spirits. I've tried, but not anywhere enjoyable for me.

Regular Crown Royal and Ginger ale. On special occasion I'll use one of my nicer bottles of CW instead. They do smell better, that's for sure.

Like many, I started drinking spirits after watching The Big Lebowski. Had to start drinking white russians

My selections tend to vary. Last night was Highland Park 12 and some Lawson's Sip of Sunshine. Big time pipe smoker, although I occasionally enjoy a cigarette. Hand rolled are the best...

L.S./M.F.T.

17844_1290026384718_5888067_n.jpg
23561_1310085006171_205194_n.jpg

Poncha Springs, CO ca. 2003
Perhaps you gentlemen can give me an explanation why my stomach is just fine with a good tequila, or even an Irish whiskey. But a shot of bourbon or well aged scotch just turns my stomach into an inferno of eye-rolling acid! If you have any insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

As for my favorite drinks... oh boy... we'll get into that later. Let's just say I'm pretty well pickled by this point in my life.

Fun topic, this should get interesting.

Wish I could say, I occasionally have the same problem and it's not always consistent among brands or beverages. For whatever reason it has generally gotten a little better with age.

Like many, I started drinking spirits after watching The Big Lebowski. Had to start drinking white russians

I drank a little bit in high school - at parties like most people, and mostly beer. Stayed pretty consistent until my early twenties when the microbrew revolution took off. This is when I was introduced to Bristol Brewing Co.'s Laughing Lab Scottish Ale. Still my favorite to this day (twenty years down the road. Microbrews gave me an incentive to drink beer - flavor! Over the years I started to discover the flavors of various other spirits.

This one is not recommended... it's so bad it actually tastes good!
This one is good for shots when you are well into the evening and your standards are somewhat lowered
20170107_180744.jpg

Now days I prefer Heineken in a CAN over bottles plus they fit nicely in the can dispenser built into the fridge. Also enjoy Guinness stout Draught in a can as well. Have always enjoyed 'local' brews while traveling, so I usually pick up a 12 pack of regional/micro brews to bring home while on driving trips. Currently not in a spirits phase so don't have an opinion there even if there are a few bottles in the cupboard waiting to be discovered some day.

I detest popular domestic light beers. Being in Cleveland, I enjoy Great Lakes stuff. Eliott Ness, Dortmunder etc. Becks is my typical get home from work beer (actually having one right now). Sometimes Heineken (off-topic: recently received a Raikonnen/Heineken hoodie). I like Brown Ales, Abbeys, but my favorite style is Hefeweisen. Yum. Yum. :)

I detest popular domestic light beers. Being in Cleveland, I enjoy Great Lakes stuff. Eliott Ness, Dortmunder etc. Becks is my typical get home from work beer (actually having one right now). Sometimes Heineken (off-topic: recently received a Raikonnen/Heineken hoodie). I like Brown Ales, Abbeys, but my favorite style is Hefeweisen. Yum. Yum. :)

Light beers have a place in my rotation. That place is either on the golf course or during a softball tournament. You know, those times when you want to have a beer but don't want to get to weighed down or you just want to maintain a light comfortable buzz. It needs to be pretty warm outside to get to light beer. This time of year, I'll usually take a flask to the golf course and there are no softball tournaments that I'm going to play in this weather.

Since it appears Irish whisky is diluted with some un-malted barley in the mash bill and both scotch and bourbon do not contain un-malted barley, I would hazard a guess therein lies your issue. You and malted barley just don't get along.

That wouldn't be quite accurate in that there are a number of single malt Irish whiskeys which solely contain malted barley. There are a wider range of Irish whiskeys using different distillation methods than is the case with Scotch so it is hard to identify why Gr8_Lakes finds the drop of the quare stuff kinder on his stomach than Scotch.

It is quite common for Irish whiskey to be described as being a smoother drink and some say that is because it is generally triple distilled compared to Scotch which is, bar the odd exception, double distilled. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Back